Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Durham, NC couple want to have a studio for the husband, and beehives.    They look at a small lot, and complain that they wish people weren't so afraid of bees, and would probably not like the beehives.   Maybe people who have bee sting allergies don't want to die either?      If you want a lot of land, and bees, buy in the country side.     

The second house is going to be a new low mark for the "is it a craftsman"?   It's just tacky suburban mish-mash, and that's not craftsman.   Of course, that's the one they buy.     I wonder if the HOA allows beehives in that yard?  I hope not, because I loath both house hunters.  

The third one is cottage style.   I love his comment about Mid Century Modern, and it's nothing like that, but at least it's way back in the woods, so the neighbors don't have to run from his bees or whatever they really end up with.    The wife needs two spare bedrooms, one for an office, and one for a craft room, and my question is why can't they both be the same room?  

I'm over the 'where will she put her shoes' joke.  

I liked the first house.  It was under budget so they had more than enough money to build a garage with a studio above it for him.  They probably still would have had enough money left over to nicely landscape the yard too.  The back looked like a "junkyard" according to her and he wanted "move in ready",  so I guess paying someone to do the work OUTSIDE in the BACK for a few  weeks would have inconvenienced them way too much!  Don't even get me started on the bees!

The wife wanted a separate office and another room for crafts, but when the husband asked about needing a studio FOR HIS JOB, she told him they also needed a guest room for when her family comes to visit so he's going have to put his studio in the guest room.  Seriously?  Later on, she mentioned that her family lives in Durham so why the need for a guest room??  At the end, she got all her rooms, and he's sitting in a chair in the corner of HER office working on his laptop because his studio in the attic is going to take a few months.  When they showed the attic, it looked the same as when they toured the house so obviously, the work hasn't even started yet and I have a feeling it never will.  

Before going on national TV, these buyers should know the difference between MCM, cottage, craftsman, etc.

It was refreshing to see that she's a surgeon/medical director and their budget was $400k.  

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As the aunt of a 5 year old who drowned in a swimming pool, I thank you for saying this.  It cannot be said often enough.  It is irresponsible for any pool owner not to take measures to prevent children from having unsupervised access.  Period.

The Gilbert, AZ couple got on my nerves big time for all the reasons noted above.  Not only is it ridiculous to find a farmhouse with a big lawn in AZ, it would look ridiculous in that setting.  If you move to Arizona, celebrate the place by finding a home that fits the setting.  

I don’t understand how the Gilbert couple get away without a fence around the pool.  Az has a law that states that before a pool is filled, you have two choices for fencing:  a fence that surrounds just the pool itself, or a fence that connects to the house, extends around the pool,  but must have a separate locked gate where kids are unable to just walk from inside the house directly into the pool.  When my parents built their pool in Az, they couldn’t fill the pool until the inspector approved the fence. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Durham, NC couple. The couple & the house don’t match at all. I liked the outside of the house but the house needed major updates for me. I thought kitchen was very tiny. 

I muted this after she said "Look at the . . . . " for the 5th time, in the first house.  Yes. We're looking.  Don't tell me to look.

• Love 3

To the Durham woman, the backyard of the first house is not a junkyard.  A junkyard would be filled with junk, and this yard had one storage shed.  It did not have planned landscaping, or many shrubs, but it was not a junkyard.  A junkyard is what exists in my back door neighbor's yard, but I erected a 10' tall fence to screen it from my view.  She would probably drop dead on the spot if she saw that.  Nothing that a little sweat equity wouldn't improve.  They ended up with the best house for their needs/wants since it had many rooms to be used for everything they wanted.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don’t understand how the Gilbert couple get away without a fence around the pool.  Az has a law that states that before a pool is filled, you have two choices for fencing:  a fence that surrounds just the pool itself, or a fence that connects to the house, extends around the pool,  but must have a separate locked gate where kids are unable to just walk from inside the house directly into the pool.  When my parents built their pool in Az, they couldn’t fill the pool until the inspector approved the fence. 

Actually, a fence is not required--it just one option for securing a pool that shares an enclosure (perimeter barrier) with a residence:

36-1681.  Pool enclosures; requirements; exceptions; enforcement

C.  If a residence or living area constitutes part of the enclosure required by subsection B for a swimming pool or other contained body of water in lieu of the requirements of subsection B, there shall be one of the following [emphasis added]:

1.  Between the swimming pool or other contained body of water and the residence or living area, a minimum four foot wall, fence or barrier to the pool area which meets all of the requirements of subsection B, paragraphs 2 through 5.

2.  The pool shall be protected by a motorized safety pool cover which requires the operation of a key switch which meets the American society of testing and materials emergency standards 13-89 and which does not require manual operation other than the use of the key switch.

3.  All ground level doors or other doors with direct access to the swimming pool or other contained body of water shall be equipped with a self-latching device which meets the requirements of subsection B, paragraph 3, subdivision (a). Emergency escape or rescue windows from sleeping rooms with access to the swimming pool or other contained body of water shall be equipped with a latching device not less than fifty-four inches above the floor. All other openable dwelling unit or guest room windows with similar access shall be equipped with a screwed in place wire mesh screen, or a keyed lock that prevents opening the window more than four inches, or a latching device located not less than fifty-four inches above the floor.

4.  The swimming pool shall be an aboveground swimming pool which has non-climbable exterior sides which are a minimum height of four feet. Any access ladder or steps shall be removable without tools and secured in an inaccessible position with a latching device not less than fifty-four inches above the ground when the pool is not in use.

https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/ars/36/01681.htm

Your parents may have chosen to have a fence, but it wasn't the only option, according to this statute.  Also, a "residence in which all residents are at least six years of age" is exempt from subsection (c).  Did your parents have anyone under six years old living with them?  Even if they didn't, they could still choose to put in a fence, and I assume the fence would have to pass inspection, but that doesn't mean a fence was required.

And the exemption doesn't apply in the HHs' situation, but it could explain why there's not a fence already (assuming they don't have the doors and windows secured as described in subsection (C)(3); if they did, they wouldn't be required to have anything else, including a fence, even with kids under six living there).

On 12/21/2018 at 1:31 PM, Ohwell said:

I was shocked when I saw those kids playing in the pool without a fence around it.  Both the husband and wife seemed to be oblivious to the danger. If I were a neighbor I'd call child services on them. 

I'm assuming you're engaging in some playful hyperbole because CPS has enough on its plate as it is. 

Of course accidents and tragedies happen all the time, it takes just a split second of inattention, etc., but this looked like a family of swimmers--one of the photos of the dad at the beginning showed him in a pool with high sides, like one used for workouts or competition; the four-year-old was jumping off the diving board by himself; and the baby didn't even flinch when her dad jumped into the pool with her in his arms.  I'm not hugely worried about them, and I would hope CPS wouldn't spend a split second of its limited time on them.

Now, if they'd chosen either of the other houses, with the staircases that mean imminent death to small children?  Yes, CPS should definitely intervene, on the double.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
Make it look prettier
  • Love 4

I disliked both of the Durham couple, and think her exaggerating her job title is a bit much.   However, PA's can make amazingly high salaries, so I'm sure the houses were well within their income.    I wish they would have bought the third house, and put an addition on for a bigger master bedroom and bath, and then built a separate studio, and that way they wouldn't irritate the neighbors with their attitudes, unless they are very different in real life from their HH personas.  I'm also hoping that was an HOA neighborhood, and no bees are allowed.    

They make so many fencing options for pools, that if I had a pool it would be fenced.   Just because the owner's kids can swim, I would still worry about guests, or trespassing neighbor kids.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm assuming you're engaging in some playful hyperbole because CPS has enough on its plate as it is. 

No actually I wasn't joking.  I don't care if the children "appeared" to be swimmers, it's still dangerous.  This isn't some trifling thing that CPS can't be bothered to deal with.  I'm normally not the nosy neighbor kind of person, but that fenceless pool just galled me.

53 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They make so many fencing options for pools, that if I had a pool it would be fenced.   Just because the owner's kids can swim, I would still worry about guests, or trespassing neighbor kids.

Exactly.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

This isn't some trifling thing that CPS can't be bothered to deal with. 

It is not something that CPS would follow up on if you called them they would tell you it’s not under their jurisdiction.

I am fairly certain that the Durham dude has never seen a mid century modern house even though he name dropped Frank Lloyd Wright based on what he kept calling MCM.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It is not something that CPS would follow up on if you called them they would tell you it’s not under their jurisdiction.

It could depend upon the jurisdiction.  Even so, I can't imagine them saying "nope, none of our business," they'd probably refer you to the building inspectors.

Edited by Ohwell
On 12/22/2018 at 12:10 AM, stewedsquash said:

I wanted to shove her with both hands when she did that stupid schtick of "I'm CFO of...my family!!" I hate when homemakers/housewives-husbands/stay at home mamas-daddys use a business title for themselves. The only thing that would have been better than the above two handed shove would be a one handed shove by me while she caught the stupid damn football with one hand (part of their cutesy story).

Gilbert, AZ:That woman was such a b word. She was so difficult. I don't know how her husband puts up with her. I hope he put his foot down by saying if she really wants the kitchen and bathroom done over so badly, she'd have to wait until they had more money. And I don't get what her problem was with the Tuscan style and the color of the tiles. That was over the top. It's too bad because the husband was actually nice.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, Pickles said:

I was distracted by the Arizona woman’s pigeon toed way of walking. Surely, they aren’t going to put grass in that big backyard. I didn’t really like any of the houses.

Don't they realize they are in AZ and grass wouldn't grow well there? The wife seems so narrow minded.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:23 AM, juliet73 said:

Gilbert AZ:  Ugh with this couple!! "Where is my green grass?"  Almost everywhere, but the desert!!! "Where are my fruit trees?"  In Florida!  In California!  "I don't want Spanish style, where is my farmhouse?"  In flippin' Iowa!!  I wanted to punch them both in the throat - her more than him.  She grew up there, she should know better and her constant complaining was grating!  Finding a home with a lawn in an area like Phoenix is not the norm...you know because it's the DESERT! Also, over the years, some desert cities have paid homeowners to remove their grass and install xeriscape so finding a home with grass is going to be few and far between. Since the backyard is oversized, I think a mix of artificial turf and desert landscaping would be their best option.  

Considering they closed on the house 6 weeks ago, I'm surprised they haven't had a pool fence installed yet.  I would be way more concerned about that then when the furniture was arriving.

Gilbert, AZ: I didn't mind him as much. I think he went along with some of the things to make his wife happy and I'll cut him some slack at least because he wasn't from AZ like his wife.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:23 AM, juliet73 said:

Gilbert AZ:  Ugh with this couple!! "Where is my green grass?"  Almost everywhere, but the desert!!! "Where are my fruit trees?"  In Florida!  In California!  "I don't want Spanish style, where is my farmhouse?"  In flippin' Iowa!!  I wanted to punch them both in the throat - her more than him.  She grew up there, she should know better and her constant complaining was grating!  Finding a home with a lawn in an area like Phoenix is not the norm...you know because it's the DESERT! Also, over the years, some desert cities have paid homeowners to remove their grass and install xeriscape so finding a home with grass is going to be few and far between. Since the backyard is oversized, I think a mix of artificial turf and desert landscaping would be their best option.  

Considering they closed on the house 6 weeks ago, I'm surprised they haven't had a pool fence installed yet.  I would be way more concerned about that then when the furniture was arriving.

You'd think they'd have a pool fence already. It's more important than that stupid kitchen.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:07 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hated the Gilbert AZ woman, and pity her neighbors.   I'm sure she's the type that whines about everything in the neighborhood too.     

The artificial turf isn't cheap, but the types they sell now are great, and would require zero maintenance, if it's installed correctly.     

She might want to consider what people will think of her for being so negative about everything she looked at.   Gutting everything was ridiculous.

Yeah she seems like the type of person who complains about everything. And she's probably that type of mother that gets on your case when people call her children on their behavior if they do something wrong.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 3
On 12/21/2018 at 8:47 PM, KLovestoShop said:

It also drives me nuts when people move to another part of the country and expect a kind of house that doesn’t exist in that area. Bitch, you’re in Arizona and the only farms in the Gilbert area are citrus. You’re not going to find a farmhouse in Arizona.  

We lived Az for over 10 years and lawns are not worth it. The watering alone is expensive and imho, irresponsible.  Not only that, but if you want to maintain a lawn in Az and have it look good, you have to thatch and reseed twice a year.  And believe me, you do not want to run barefoot in the grass because of the scorpions.  

What about house three says farmhouse?  Nothing about the house said farm. And if she said “this has to go” one more time, I wanted to slap her. She just came off as sounding like a terrible human. 

FYI, there are a lot of fruit trees in Arizona. We had orange, lemon and grapefruit trees in our yard, and the Gilbert area has some pretty big orange farms.  You should go there when the orange trees are in bloom.  The scent is intoxicating.  

Yes, she wanted her husband to waste his money because it wasn't to her liking. She should be more grateful. She doesn't have to work and doesn't have some crappy fixer kitchen.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The ones I laugh at are people who want Mid Century Modern, with the flat very low angle roof, barely sloped at all, in heavy snow country.  

I am shocked at how few people fence the pools, or don't like the fence, and want to remove it.     Having a fence may ruin the view, but having some kid drown in it will ruin your life.  

I don't get the appeal of the Mid Century Modern. I think that look is not that impressive to me and its an older house that can potentially come with a lot of problems usually, unless its designed to look like the original type of those homes.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:16 PM, edie3 said:

we really need a name for the house hunters who have unrealistic have to haves/have nots.  All I can think of is Housezillas.

Yes, she was definitely a housezilla. Good one Edie!

On 12/22/2018 at 10:19 AM, Lisa418722 said:

Just watched the Gilbert, AZ couple.  Those kitchens were not THAT bad - OK, most of the granite I didn't like, but I don't mind darker cabinets, especially in a larger kitchen.  Then she was complaining about the tile floors. It's going to be hot, tile makes more sense than carpet.  The husband kept wanting grass.  A few years ago I spent some time in the southwest and I admit by the time I got home (the southeast), I was ready for some trees and some grass, but if I were living there, I know that is something I would have to do without because it is the desert.  He said his father does landscaping and I hope his father realizes there is a difference in landscaping in Georgia and landscaping in Arizona. 

I don't get her issue about tile. Except for the last house, I liked the granite and cabinets in all of them.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

No actually I wasn't joking.  I don't care if the children "appeared" to be swimmers, it's still dangerous. 

This isn't some trifling thing that CPS can't be bothered to deal with.  I'm normally not the nosy neighbor kind of person, but that fenceless pool just galled me.

On the issue of whether this is trifling, the statute says:

F.  A person who violates this section is guilty of a petty offense except that no fine may be imposed if a sufficient showing is made that the person has subsequently equipped the swimming pool or contained body of water with a barrier pursuant to the standards adopted in subsection B within forty-five days of citation and has attended an approved swimming pool safety course.

So...a fix-it ticket.  Hardly an issue to prompt CPS to launch an investigation into whether the children are being endangered and should be removed from the home.

Also, in order to have a clear conscience because reporting people to CPS is a big damn deal, one should be sure he knows for sure the alleged child endangerers don't have one of the alternatives to a fence in place.  Just because some random person is galled that they don't have a fence doesn't mean it's child endangerment if they have chosen one of the alternatives allowed under the law.  For example, I personally don't think a pool cover is a good substitute for a pool fence, but it's not my call, and it's definitely nothing to call CPS (or even Code Enforcement) about.

Oh, and this one could be a little tricky--if a pool was built before the effective date of the law, it's exempt.  Should everyone who doesn't have a fence but whose pool is exempt from the law be reported to CPS?   The danger is the same whether there's a law mandating restricting access to the pool or not.

I know how I would feel if I was abiding by the law and yet somebody still reported me to CPS, especially on a matter like a pool fence.  Even if CPS took no action, and even if it turned out the person reporting me didn't know what they were talking about, it still happened and the report is still there, and I'm now in the CPS system.  Great.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

On the issue of whether this is trifling, the statute says:

So...a fix-it ticket.  Hardly an issue to prompt CPS to launch an investigation into whether the children are being endangered and should be removed from the home.

Also, in order to have a clear conscience because reporting people to CPS is a big damn deal, one should be sure he knows for sure the alleged child endangerers don't have one of the alternatives to a fence in place.  Just because some random person is galled that they don't have a fence doesn't mean it's child endangerment if they have chosen one of the alternatives allowed under the law.  For example, I personally don't think a pool cover is a good substitute for a pool fence, but it's not my call, and it's definitely nothing to call CPS (or even Code Enforcement) about.

Oh, and this one could be a little tricky--if a pool was built before the effective date of the law, it's exempt.  Should everyone who doesn't have a fence but whose pool is exempt from the law be reported to CPS?   The danger is the same whether there's a law mandating restricting access to the pool or not.

I know how I would feel if I was abiding by the law and yet somebody still reported me to CPS, especially on a matter like a pool fence.  Even if CPS took no action, and even if it turned out the person reporting me didn't know what they were talking about, it still happened and the report is still there, and I'm now in the CPS system.  Great.

Sounds like you don't have a pool fence.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, oakville said:

I just noticed that there is a house hunters family show. The kids get involved in the decision making. It was an interesting twist.  The kids were really playing to the camera.

Those family shows are the worst! Get those kids off my lawn.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think most posters on this forum abhor the family version.  Kids have no business voicing opinions on a purchase that important unless they are kicking in for the mortgage.  Otherwise, go away.

• Love 18

I almost added HH: Family tonight by mistake. Usually, HH is on auto pilot and was surprised when it wasn’t but then realized it was the Family editon. Whew! Dodged that bullet. First off, kids should be involved unless they are paying. Secondly, kids shouldn’t know what the parents budget is. It’s like telling your kids that you have sex. LOL!!!!!

• Love 4
On 12/22/2018 at 2:58 PM, Pickles said:

I found the Durham “surgeon” online. She is a physician assistant who works in pain management. Gets good reviews, but definitely not a surgeon. 

Wow, why did she misrepresent her professional qualifications like that? How egregious.

Norfolk, VA: I cringed when the wife said she wanted a “Gone With the Wind” staircase. 

I think that 70s monstrosity they bought will be a money pit. Good luck to them.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 6
On 12/24/2018 at 4:54 PM, chessiegal said:

I just saw one with the 3 kids in Thousand Oaks!. They were demanding a pool & an area for gymnastics

• Love 1

To the lady buying a tiny house in Atlanta:  STOP YELLING AT ME!

Otherwise she and her friend were funny.  But I'm curious how much it costs to heat and cool one of those tiny houses.  They had one choice with a metal slab as part of a side wall, which got me wondering about how well it was insulated.

Also wondered if anyone is ever stupid enough to buy one fo the tiny houses without rails on the steep stairs and upper area.  Looked really easy to roll over in bed, straight off the side, and break your neck on the kitchen counter while falling to the floor.  Geronimo!

Edited by pep4
  • Love 15

The tiny-house-lady just about drove me bonkers with her constant yelling and generally loud voice.  She'd open the window and yell, "HELLO NEIGHBORS!"  Or, "HELLO WORLD!"  And her speaking voice was loud as well.  

I used to watch and enjoy the tiny house episodes, but after having not seen one in quite a while, I was immediately claustrophobic at the size of those places.  I don't think I'd even want to visit someone who lived in one unless we could go outside.  But she managed to get a good number of friends in there at the end.

And I had to laugh/cry when it looked like her house was parked up against a corn field.  But there she was, sitting on her tiny porch having a tiny drink and being happy as a clam.  Yeah, I'll bet.  Where are those neighbors when you need them?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, slasherboy said:

The tiny-house-lady just about drove me bonkers with her constant yelling and generally loud voice.  She'd open the window and yell, "HELLO NEIGHBORS!"  Or, "HELLO WORLD!"  And her speaking voice was loud as well.  

I used to watch and enjoy the tiny house episodes, but after having not seen one in quite a while, I was immediately claustrophobic at the size of those places.  I don't think I'd even want to visit someone who lived in one unless we could go outside.  But she managed to get a good number of friends in there at the end.

And I had to laugh/cry when it looked like her house was parked up against a corn field.  But there she was, sitting on her tiny porch having a tiny drink and being happy as a clam.  Yeah, I'll bet.  Where are those neighbors when you need them?

I eventually had to mute the episode as her voice was so loud. I found myself thinking that what these tiny home hunters are paying for a cell-like room would have been better used as a down payment on a real home.

• Love 4

I totally agree about the tiny homes.  Over priced, under insulated, and often with non-standard plumbing.      I've always thought that if you want a portable, well made home, that an RV is made for that.     Or a big travel trailer.    Both are actually portable, won't fall apart when they get moved, and if you need bigger space, then get the slide outs too.     

A lot of the tiny ones simply don't hold up to moves from what I've read, and are usually moved by professionals only, and that's expensive.    You can't even put a tiny home in an RV park, because they don't meet code.     

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I totally agree about the tiny homes.  Over priced, under insulated, and often with non-standard plumbing.      I've always thought that if you want a portable, well made home, that an RV is made for that.     Or a big travel trailer.    Both are actually portable, won't fall apart when they get moved, and if you need bigger space, then get the slide outs too.    

Actually, RVs are known for being poorly insulated.  If you have a tiny house that is framed, like a regular house, there are choices for insulation, and better options than what RVs have.  Presumably windows, too--RVs have aluminum frame windows, and even if they're dual-paned (usually only in higher-end RVs), they're not really good dual-paned windows, and, between the glass and the frame, they're cold.  If you put "real" windows in a tiny house, it would probably be a great improvement (although dual-pane windows can be problematic in trailers because they vibrate when they move, and the seal in dual-paned windows can break can cause fogging between the panes).

Another problem with RVs in cold weather is that the propane furnace blasts hot air, but the second it turns off, it immediately feels drafty and cold.  And the slide-outs are particularly cold.

I think a tiny house could be made pretty darn comfortable, and definitely less leaky than your standard RV, especially in that price range.  And an RV is designed to be moved and moving it generally won't cause it to fall apart, but that doesn't mean it's well made.  In fact, that's a common lament--why do these things have to be built so shitty???

A lot of the tiny ones simply don't hold up to moves from what I've read, and are usually moved by professionals only, and that's expensive.    You can't even put a tiny home in an RV park, because they don't meet code.   

Some RV parks allow them, and some don't.  I've seen them around, and know I saw a tiny house in an RV park in Vancouver, BC, and Corpus Christi, Texas.  That said, they looked stupid in there among the RVs.  It seems to me that the kind of people tiny houses appeal to wouldn't want to be sandwiched in with a bunch of crappy trailers, especially since that's what the TH owner's view will be as he sits on his porch drinking coffee.  Assuming he could fit that porch in the truck he used to move the thing.

Didn't that Atlanta THH blow off going up into the second loft in that one, because she physically couldn't get up there?  Was she just going to turn that space over to her son and never go up there?  If all I had was 250 square feet, I'd insist on being able to get to every square inch of it.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Those tiny houses also get stolen, most recently one in St. Louis.  It was found a few days later, but it'll probably get stolen again. 

Did she at least have it locked?  None of the the stories said she did.  I know it's impossible to prevent a determined thief, but you do what you can to make stealing it an unattractive prospect.

Then again, what probably happened was the thieves didn't think the whole thing through any more than most tiny house buyers, and after the thrill wore off, they realized they didn't have any place to put it. 

• Love 4

Are some of the agents looking more unusual?  The one on the HH Family had reddish hair and long gray bangs.  Not a good look.  On another ep, the agent was a plus size woman who wore dresses that were too short and tight. 

What 9 year old does most of the cooking for a family?  That’s what the Texas family claimed. She said she can cook the dessert and the main course at the same time because there were double ovens.  And why would a 9 year old be concerned about a kitchen being “tight”.   And of course, don’t we all go to our family gym and work out for 30 to 60 minutes a day for 6 days a week?  

And of course, they didn’t pick any of the houses.  I thought you had to be under contract to be on HH?  

• Love 5

Okay there is a House Hunters on now. Couple with 5 children. She is a vet. tech. He is a self employed carpenter. They are in the Bostn area looking for a new construction home iwth acreage , barn, stables workout room, a pool and at least 5 bedrooms.  Wait for this their budget is 2-3 million. I know salaries are higher in the north east but come on. They have not said they won a lottery. I call B/S on this show.  

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Okay there is a House Hunters on now. Couple with 5 children. She is a vet. tech. He is a self employed carpenter. They are in the Bostn area looking for a new construction home iwth acreage , barn, stables workout room, a pool and at least 5 bedrooms.  Wait for this their budget is 2-3 million. I know salaries are higher in the north east but come on. They have not said they won a lottery. I call B/S on this show.  

And they weren't married. Someone inherited a bundle/trust fund/divorced well.

• Love 13

They say there are two kinds of people - starters and finishers.  I'm a finisher.  So, after the Christmas  madness subsided and my house guests departed, I worked my way through 2 weeks worth of HH (gosh there were a lot of extra episodes - they must be cleaning out the attic in preparation for the new year).

Between the bogus holiday episodes, the tiny house and beachfront retreads, and the relentless repetition of the latest House Hunter tropes, I am ready for a break.  

HH bingeing = really bad idea.

• Love 13

Don't mean to be off topic by putting this in the House Hunters thread but they did a string of "how close to the beach" shows last night.  There was what appeared to be a young twenty-something ARTIST whose budget was $750,000!!!  Excuse me?  She teaches painting to students in her home.  I guess I better dust off my water colors.  Geesh.  Similar to the quote above, this had to be a case of trustfunditis!!

• Love 10
18 hours ago, 65mickey said:

If I had been drinking a beverage, I would have done a spit take when I heard that budget! 😮 Didn’t the house they pick have only three bedrooms for 5 kids?

• Love 3

Don't remember the number of bedrooms but it was the least expensive and the oldest home. Maybe around 1.4 million.  Sill that's a lot of money for a veterinary tech. and a self employed carpenter.  I think  she had a home that she was looking to sell and maybe she made a ton of money on that house. Still I don't know how much income one would need to qualify for a home with a million $+ mortgage even with a large down payment.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

The new Vermont ski lodge episode was listed as regular HH tonight but I think it was a vacation episode

It's not unusual for HH to show a family looking for a vacation home. It didn't feel like a Beachfront Bargain Hunt or similar genre show to me.

• Love 2
On 12/30/2018 at 5:16 PM, 65mickey said:

I was trying to figure out how they had so much money to get a house. Could the husband's business be that successful? I can't imagine they made so much money from the alpacas. Maybe it was a lottery win or inheritance? At least it was fun to see those mansions.

Yeah it could be a divorce settlement too.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:06 PM, chessiegal said:

And they weren't married. Someone inherited a bundle/trust fund/divorced well.

• Love 1

Alpacas are a hobby animal, not profitable unless you breed, and sell to amateurs who think they're going to make a fortune on them.     Selling breeding stock is profitable, but you really don't make a profit just having a few.    I knew a lady who was raising them years ago, and she had a dozen or so, but except for selling the wool once a year or however often they shear them, that was the only profit.  Plus, you had to pay the shearing crew too.    My guess with the Boston couple is trust fund babies, one or both.    My guess is the woman is the one with the money, because she seemed to be the one doing the choosing.    I bet the carpenter boyfriend will be supervising the giant addition on the house, on her dime.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

The new Vermont ski lodge episode was listed as regular HH tonight but I think it was a vacation episode. I liked the duplex condo that was shown and I also liked the cabin they picked. Well, I wouldn't like it for just me but it works as a lots of people on vacation together home. It was nice to see them do old fashioned updating versus "gotta gut this place". I thought the brown painting of the outside did wonders for spiffing it up outside, along with the man fixing the boards on the deck. I didn't catch the first part so I don't know their story but this episode reminded me of HH, back in the day style and it was nice.

I felt that cabin they picked was a money pit and didn’t he say there were structural issues? but it seemed with the husband’s skills, he was able to do a lot of the work himself, so maybe it was cheaper. I can see why though they would pick it, but I thought the duplex condo was better.

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Alpacas are a hobby animal, not profitable unless you breed, and sell to amateurs who think they're going to make a fortune on them.     Selling breeding stock is profitable, but you really don't make a profit just having a few.    I knew a lady who was raising them years ago, and she had a dozen or so, but except for selling the wool once a year or however often they shear them, was the only profit.  Plus, you had to pay the shearing crew too.    My guess with the Boston couple is trust fund babies, one or both.    My guess is the woman is the one with the money, because she seemed to be the one doing the choosing.    I bet the carpenter boyfriend will be supervising the giant addition on the house, on her dime.   

That could very well be possible with the girlfriend. Good point.

• Love 1

Vermont Ski Lodge Hunters episode last night: Producer-driven, maybe, but that wife had something negative to say every single time she opened her mouth. And then the husband would grin and make a joke. How can those two be married? And then twice she threw huge shade at her husband and kids about how they think there's a Dinner Fairy who comes in and cooks for them and a Laundry Fairy who takes care of all the dirty clothes. Ha-ha-ha it was so funny ... except it sounded like she was really cheesed off about it. I bet she does have to do all the cooking and all the laundry and I bet none of them ever thinks of helping and I bet all she does is be snide to them all the time. Brrrrrrr.

Oh, yeah, and they looked at some houses :)

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Kathcart said:

Vermont Ski Lodge Hunters episode last night: Producer-driven, maybe, but that wife had something negative to say every single time she opened her mouth. And then the husband would grin and make a joke. How can those two be married? And then twice she threw huge shade at her husband and kids about how they think there's a Dinner Fairy who comes in and cooks for them and a Laundry Fairy who takes care of all the dirty clothes. Ha-ha-ha it was so funny ... except it sounded like she was really cheesed off about it. I bet she does have to do all the cooking and all the laundry and I bet none of them ever thinks of helping and I bet all she does is be snide to them all the time. Brrrrrrr.

Oh, yeah, and they looked at some houses :)

RIght? And then when he was pointing out the structural issues with the deck in the one they bought she looked at him and asked, very annoyed, "can you NOT be a forensic architect for one minute!?" Even though his explanation was easy to understand, a legitimate concern, and maybe be grateful that the expertise to diagnose the issue resides within your family. She was awful.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

RIght? And then when he was pointing out the structural issues with the deck in the one they bought she looked at him and asked, very annoyed, "can you NOT be a forensic architect for one minute!?" Even though his explanation was easy to understand, a legitimate concern, and maybe be grateful that the expertise to diagnose the issue resides within your family. She was awful.

A husband who is a forensic architect would be ideal for house hunting!

South Carolina: Nonny and Pawpaw. 🤢 I can’t stand cutesy names for grandparents.

• Love 3

I bought my townhouse 20 years ago and it wasn't new. At the time it didn't occur to me to buy new-new. Now, that I'll be moving (downsizing....it's just me) I'm going all out on my next home. I want all new and I want everything white. White on white on white. LOL!!! I'd be perfect for HH.

• Love 5