Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

30 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Back to the cat lady in Fort Meyers, FL ... what was up with those upper cabinets in one of the houses that she didn't choose?  They were mounted just below the ceiling, and then there was empty wall space, for what? Trendy open shelving?  Very strange.

Either to place open shelving underneath or to hang your assorted bar glasses underneath would be my guess.   It did look so weird though.

Enjoyed that the Columbus OH seemed to like each other and get along well!  What incredibly bland houses! Is there character in Columbus or that's just what was in their price range?

On 7/11/2017 at 8:54 AM, Empress1 said:

I liked the Columbus couple. They seemed sweet together. I thought the oldest/third house could be great with a bit of work (who. Puts. Carpet. In. The. BATHROOM?). I liked the exterior a lot. but the house they chose was nice. I didn't like the second house.

My parents......(yuck)

• Love 1

OMG! Pittsburgh couple and the wife with the worst vocal fry EVER!!! I seriously had to ffwd to the end for the reveal. She seemed like the most stuck up biotch I've ever seen. She didn't stop bitching even up to the ending  credits. She wants a pool & he said they didn't really need one. She might be my all time Top 5 worst HH wife with vocal fry. She was the worst.

• Love 18

Where did the Pittsburgh wife, from New Jersey, get the So Cal Valley Girl vocal fry?   Yep, she's definitely in my top three most obnoxious.  When she made the comment that she cannot live in the one kitchen, that sealed it for me.  She was totally stuck up, and thought way too highly of herself.  I'm surprised they didn't look in newer subdivisions in the area, because the houses they looked at were definitely older. And I hate to disagree with the husband, but my sister opens her pool in April and closes it in late October, so it's not just a few months in the Pittsburgh area. 

What is it with so many men lately who want to buy a house like mommy and daddy?  When they said his parents lived in Fox Chapel, a suburb that's home to many professional athletes and coaches, and their budget (you're not getting a "mommy and daddy" type house in Fox Chapel for $500K to $600K) I knew they weren't going to live in FC.  

I knew this show was coming up because there was an article in our newspaper last week.  The wife contacted HH to see if they could be on the show.  Producers told her to contact them when they found a house, which she did, and the show sent a camera crew to film the show. They were told to basically leave the house untouched, and not fill it with furniture.  So, that's how it goes.  

• Love 9

Ugh, that Pittsburgh nurse. What a snoot! (Speaking of snoots, I suspect hers is a gut job.) 

I'd like to come by their home in let's say 7 years, and comment on how dated it looks. 

I noticed that the house still looked pretty empty after they moved in. 

• Love 8

"We need at least 3,000 or even 4, 000 square feet".  Seriously?  Unless you have 10 kids, nobody needs 4,000 square feet.  That's a want, not a need.  I turned it off the first 5 minutes because I couldn't stand her or her voice.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, mojito said:

Ugh, that Pittsburgh nurse. What a snoot! (Speaking of snoots, I suspect hers is a gut job.) 

I'd like to come by their home in let's say 7 years, and comment on how dated it looks. 

I noticed that the house still looked pretty empty after they moved in. 

I particularly liked how they kept whining through the whole episode that they needed a larger dining room, then once they moved in they had one narrow, tiny table in it, with no chairs.  Okay then. 

And yeah, her face looked pretty...worked on.  It barely moved when she spoke.  Wasn't the husband a plastic surgeon (or did I hear that wrong)?  

• Love 9

Yes, the Pittsburgh husband is a plastic surgeon. 

As far as their lack of furniture, in the article the wife said they gave away most of their furniture before moving from NYC.  From my perspective, that sounded like wifey poo wanted all new furniture.  

• Love 1

And then at the end, Pittsburgh wife just had to interrupt the husband to let everyone know that she called the sellers to negotiate the final selling price. 

What. A. Bitch.

• Love 15

Just watched Pittsburgh and all I can saw is to the husband and kids "Run!   Run back to Gramma and Grampa's (Mom and Dad's) as fast as you can.   Don't look back.  Buy new stuff later."   When she told the husband (apparently for the first time) that she called the home owners to get the house after the negotiations stalled, my jaw dropped.   That marriage is not a partnership -- it's a dictatorship.   The story of her harrassing him at a bar about him not asking her out until he asked her out -- well, that's just not my idea of how to attract a mate.

We all know that a pool and all new furniture (and a kitchen gut) will be on the horizon.

With the weather in Pittsburgh, wouldn't it make sense for a doctor's family to join an upscale country club with a pool.   Wifey could hand out hubby's business cards to those that she doesn't find attractive.

• Love 12

Pittsburgh hubby is stuck even if he did want to get away from her.  I know he's a doctor, but child support for three kids and throw in alimony, you just know she'd nail him to the cross.  He'd have to move back in with his parents.  Oh wait. 

• Love 6

Lord, that woman (Pittsburgh) was annoying.  At first I thought he would annoy me the most since all he talked about was having a home like his parents, but OMG, I wanted to throw something at the TV.  The way she jumped in and said she was the one who called the sellers and got the house had me side eyeing her.  He's from Pittsburgh, but they never said where she was from.  Hell?  She was just kinda awful.  I was hoping that they would look for a house in the city, since we just moved to Pittsburgh (from NYC) and we would most likely buy next year, but they were out in Surburbia.   I couldn't even tell how old she was.  They had been together for 8 years, so they must have met when she was around what, 23?  She just looked so plastic,  Ugh.   Also, it has rained here almost every day for the past two months.  Good luck with that pool. 

House Hunters, please do a an actual Pittsburgh episode, not showing the suburbs. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, roseslg said:

House Hunters, please do a an actual Pittsburgh episode, not showing the suburbs. 

This is the second Pittsburgh episode in the past couple of months where they showed suburbs, but not the city of Pittsburgh.  I grew up about 35 miles from Pittsburgh, haven't been back in many years, but would like to see what the city looks like now.  The suburbs look nice, but boring.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

This is the second Pittsburgh episode in the past couple of months where they showed suburbs, but not the city of Pittsburgh.  I grew up about 35 miles from Pittsburgh, haven't been back in many years, but would like to see what the city looks like now.  The suburbs look nice, but boring.

It's like when they did an episode in State College (where my husband grew up) and only one of the properties was in SC (and barely).  My husband who hates this show and mocks it whenever I watch it actually sat down and was hoping to see some of his home town.  He got another reason to not like the show.  

• Love 3

Enjoyed that the Columbus OH seemed to like each other and get along well!  What incredibly bland houses! Is there character in Columbus or that's just what was in their price range?

I totally agree.  They were sweet, but I think she would get on my nerves after a while.  I KNOW she has a lot of clothes and shoes and stuff, but if the master closet is pretty big, can't you make do with it and have hubby use a closet in a different bedroom?  I guess she wanted the whole "large dressing room / closet" set up.

The house from the 80s would need a LOT of work.  At least $100,000 in mechanicals and updating and decorating.

The island on an angle would drive me insane.  Eww.  I think I'm slightly OCD, because just thinking out it gives me the willies.  I'd have to take that island out and reposition it or do a brand new one set up like most kitchen islands are.

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

"We need at least 3,000 or even 4, 000 square feet".  Seriously?  Unless you have 10 kids, nobody needs 4,000 square feet.  That's a want, not a need.  I turned it off the first 5 minutes because I couldn't stand her or her voice.

I generally don't like looking at big houses, so between that and the fact that they weren't looking in Pittsburgh proper, plus her voice, I skipped to the end instead of just turning it off.  I guess I needed closure.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I totally agree.  They were sweet, but I think she would get on my nerves after a while.  I KNOW she has a lot of clothes and shoes and stuff, but if the master closet is pretty big, can't you make do with it and have hubby use a closet in a different bedroom?  I guess she wanted the whole "large dressing room / closet" set up.

The house from the 80s would need a LOT of work.  At least $100,000 in mechanicals and updating and decorating.

The island on an angle would drive me insane.  Eww.  I think I'm slightly OCD, because just thinking out it gives me the willies.  I'd have to take that island out and reposition it or do a brand new one set up like most kitchen islands are.

OMG, thank you for that on the island! I was wondering if it was just me who didn't get it? What is the purpose of that?

And seriously, I know Columbus wife was on TV, but she must think she's a superstar, needing a dressing room. AND, it HAS to be connected to the Master! What? A room down the hall, just won't do?

• Love 1

The Pittsburgh doctor's wife was very ready to say she was the one who contacted the sellers, so I'm not surprised she was the one who contacted the newspaper to tell them about the HH episode.  I also caught one of the quick asides where the husband said the wife had been acting as their office manager for the past 18 months, and it had been something along the lines of "an experience".  I kind of thought he did not mean that in a positive way.  I feel sure she has had several cosmetic procedures done to her face, and while there's nothing wrong with that, they can make one's face look frozen.

• Love 7

If we decide to stay in Pittsburgh, I'll take one for the team and do the show.  Only city houses!  My husband would probably divorce me first though.   He really hates this show.  

• Love 8

The sisters looking for a place in Atlanta.  I hear "actually" from the realtors on this show a lot, but the realtor on this one takes the cake.  It was mainly the two sisters talking, but Jonathan didn't squander his opportunities.

Here's what he said in the first house:

Opens with a sentence without "actually."

"So this unit is actually 2 bedroom 2 bathroom unit, $229,000."

A sentence without "actually."

"It's actually going to be on the third floor."

"No, this unit actually does not have an elevator for it."

Two sentences without "actually"!

Multiple conversations between sisters, including an "actually" from one of the sisters.

Three sentences without "actually"!

"You actually have access to the outside patio from your master bedroom."

The second house started with, "This is actually $225,000, you'll see it's right within your budget.  Four bedrooms, 2-1/2 bathrooms."

"This is actually the sunken living room."

I couldn't take it any more.  I hope he notices it when he watches the show and cuts it out.  Seemed like a personable guy but man, that would be annoying.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, roseslg said:

He's from Pittsburgh, but they never said where she was from.  Also, it has rained here almost every day for the past two months.

The newspaper article said the Pittsburgh wife was from New Jersey.  That's the reason I wondered where she got that Valley Girl vocal fry.  She should sound more like Snookie.  

And it's still raining here today.  We had such a bad storm in my area the other day that it tore out my garden.  My tomato plants were broken apart and the herbs were pounded into the dirt.  I'm so hacked off. 

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I couldn't take it any more.  I hope he notices it when he watches the show and cuts it out.  Seemed like a personable guy but man, that would be annoying.

I fast-forwarded to the reveal on this one so didn't notice the overuse/misuse of 'actually'.  I do notice a lot of 'definitely'.  It could be a drinking game!

Not quite as bad as 'like', which I'm noticing even with people on public radio.  

• Love 2

SO, I'm with you on the "actually". As I've noted before, I'm sick of hearing "actually", "awesome", "absolutely", "amazing". "Literally" has been making my eyes roll lately, particularly when it's said (by Americans) in 3 syllables. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, mojito said:

"Literally" has been making my eyes roll lately, particularly when it's said (by Americans) in 3 syllables. 

I especially like it when "figuratively" is the correct word.  My favorite was "I literally died when he showed up".  RIP, I guess.

• Love 9

More dude-bros in Waco.  I couldn't even stick around long enough for them to tour the first house.

I don't know if I have a testosterone problem, or a people-under-30 problem.

• Love 5

Long Island couple. First, the guy did not seem like he was ready for marriage. In my opinion, it was just a feeling I got. I really don't understand the buying a house before the marriage or even immediately after. Especially for such young people. What is the rush? Get to know each other. How many marriages end in divorce?

My gripe is this: WHERE on Long Island was this home search? What towns? Nassau and Suffolk are counties and they pretty much stretch the whole island except for Queens at the tip. Have they ever done this before? Not mentioned the towns? What the hell was the big secret? Nassau has gone way down hill in the last few decades. You couldn't pay me to live there. The houses are so expensive only because it is so commutable to NYC. 

• Love 2

Just like the New York episode a couple weeks ago (last week?) I really enjoyed the Chicago one.   The condo she selected was appropriate to her price point and in such a charming building.    And she's plenty young to be able to handle three flights of stairs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

Just like the New York episode a couple weeks ago (last week?) I really enjoyed the Chicago one.   The condo she selected was appropriate to her price point and in such a charming building.    And she's plenty young to be able to handle three flights of stairs.

I liked the Chicago girl too but she needed to leave her yappy mom at home.  I would have told my mom - "You know where you can get your own bathroom when you visit? Motel 6!"  Then she took the extra room and made a bedroom?  What about a den?  An office?  A ROOM YOU WANT AS IT IS YOUR HOME?"

• Love 8
20 hours ago, msrachelj said:

My gripe is this: WHERE on Long Island was this home search? What towns? Nassau and Suffolk are counties and they pretty much stretch the whole island except for Queens at the tip. Have they ever done this before? Not mentioned the towns? What the hell was the big secret? Nassau has gone way down hill in the last few decades. You couldn't pay me to live there. The houses are so expensive only because it is so commutable to NYC.

That's one of the reasons I like the Beachfront House Hunters and House Hunters Intl, they put a bullet point on the map to indicate where in the region they are looking.

• Love 6
On 7/14/2017 at 10:17 AM, KLovestoShop said:

The newspaper article said the Pittsburgh wife was from New Jersey.  That's the reason I wondered where she got that Valley Girl vocal fry.  She should sound more like Snookie.  

And it's still raining here today.  We had such a bad storm in my area the other day that it tore out my garden.  My tomato plants were broken apart and the herbs were pounded into the dirt.  I'm so hacked off. 

Dang, missed the Pittsburgh episode! Where did they end up buying, and what kind of house?

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, QuinnM said:

Sleeping in the shower?  He needs therapy.

Just watched a repeat of the FL to St. Paul episode.  Not sure how I missed it the first time.  This guy was either somewhere on the autism spectrum (he reminds me of a relative) or the campiest bad actor ever.   I did love the house that was chosen.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Babalooie said:

Just watched a repeat of the FL to St. Paul episode.  Not sure how I missed it the first time.  This guy was either somewhere on the autism spectrum (he reminds me of a relative) or the campiest bad actor ever.   I did love the house that was chosen.

I started to watch, but saved the recording for when I have lots of time to watch.   I know he said he was in advertising, but I think he's actually a stand up comic on the side (waiting for the big break that will launch him into Drew Carey or Jerry Seinfeld level stardom).   

How totally lucky that the dietary program his wife really, really, really wanted to attend was in the same town as his favorite hockey team --- what are the odds?

• Love 2
On 7/18/2017 at 5:45 AM, Empress1 said:

I watched half of the most recent Chicago episode before work this morning and I'm fairly sure her realtor appeared on the show as a buyer.

He was definitely on the show as a buyer. Watched that one a few weeks ago.

Can't believe no one here has commented on her name - every time they said "Ann Bennett" my girlfriend and I laughed. The first time they said it we thought "They never use last names on this show".

• Love 4
On 7/18/2017 at 0:33 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I liked the Chicago girl too but she needed to leave her yappy mom at home.  I would have told my mom - "You know where you can get your own bathroom when you visit? Motel 6!"  Then she took the extra room and made a bedroom?  What about a den?  An office?  A ROOM YOU WANT AS IT IS YOUR HOME?"

I liked the way the Chicago woman dressed. Her outfits and shoes/boots were really nice. 

And the courthouse apartment building she chose reminded me of Lucy's apartment building in "While You Were Sleeping." 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

Can't believe no one here has commented on her name - every time they said "Ann Bennett" my girlfriend and I laughed. The first time they said it we thought "They never use last names on this show".

I was confused by that at first, but kinda guessed that "Bennett" was her middle name. Here in the deep south a lot of women are given a family name as a middle name. I had a boss whose middle name was Duncan,, which was a family name from past generations.

• Love 4
(edited)

Given the Southern mom plus HH' penchant for privacy, I assumed the Chicago woman went by both names, i.e. a middle (family) name.

Anyone else wonder, like me, if she'd added the alarm and walk-in closet?  Wouldn't have bothered but the street appeared very familiar to me so pulled the property.  (Yes on both counts, BTW.)   

They didn't show us the small laundry / utility room or a 2nd balcony, IIRC.  (I believe the listing mentioned another balcony.)  Inside laundry could make a huge difference in a walk-up.  Another major factor, possibly:  the high dues include utilities and water.  Always feels like HH omits / cut major items that could be the kicker for the big decision, lol!

Another interesting factoid:  wasn't looking for it but Ann didn't buy the unit.  Guess HH prefers the strong independent woman buys condo plot b/c the public records include this sale but to a gentleman.  Daddy or Sugar ...  ?  ETA:  (No indication of a contract falling out and public records don't typically lie!)

Given the building (lack of parking, elevator) and price level, I doubt many improvements occur.  If it were my unit, I'd try to relocate the stacked unit into a closet and make the utility room a 1/2 bath.  

If you'd like to check out the previous listing photos, send me a pm.  I'd prefer not to publish her address.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

Accidentally posted about the Pitt episode (plastic surgeon / wife) on the HHI thread.  No way to edit it, to my knowledge.  Included the local newspaper article, if you're interested.  Sorry!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:11 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Back to the cat lady in Fort Meyers, FL ... what was up with those upper cabinets in one of the houses that she didn't choose?  They were mounted just below the ceiling, and then there was empty wall space, for what? Trendy open shelving?  Very strange.

Missed this particular phenomenon on that episode (prob snoozing out of boredom, lol) but you mean it created an oversized backsplash area?  So, horizontal space not vertical?

Good idea of another poster about open shelving and glass holders but if/when h/o's make such a change they normally customize it to specific shelving and/or drink holders and finish the job simultaneously, fitting the add-ons properly into the space.

Having noticed this before, my guess is that someone wanted to create the illusion of custom cabinetry.  Touring many homes, I've noticed this trick.  Often buyers assume that if upgraded / new cabinets reach the ceiling, they're custom.  Uh, not so fast, lol ... it's a good idea to measure and determine if they're 42".  And, as always, check their quality.

1 hour ago, aguabella said:

Another interesting factoid:  wasn't looking for it but Ann didn't buy the unit.  Guess HH prefers the strong independent woman buys condo plot b/c the public records include this sale but to a gentleman.  Daddy or Sugar ...

Interesting.  But buyers have to be under contract to be on HH, and didn't the final scene show her moved in?

Maybe you're right, and someone bought it for her. If it were her mom & dad, I understand why now mom was all up in the Kool-Aid. 

I liked the San Diego couple...kinda. The wife was beautiful. And they both seemed really smart. But they complained a lot. 'This bathroom is dated. Total gut job.' And what is it with young people not wanting to walk up a flight of stairs? Jeez. The only time it made sense was with the ex-baseball player (I think) with bad knees. 

Oh, and the cat defenders up thread made me notice this: in the final scene, the couple's toddler daughter was sitting on the kitchen island with her bare feet and full diaper.  All while the mom was next to her cooking dinner. Gross. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, topanga said:

in the final scene, the couple's toddler daughter was sitting on the kitchen island with her bare feet and full diaper.  All while the mom was next to her cooking dinner. Gross. 

I noticed this also! and my first thought was the "cat lady"! I actually liked this couple because they did compromise when needed. Garage doors on the front of a house does not bother me but I know this is a sticking point with many people and the husband liked the house enough to "close his eyes and hurry in the house"! LOL!

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, topanga said:

Interesting.  But buyers have to be under contract to be on HH, and didn't the final scene show her moved in?

Maybe you're right, and someone bought it for her. If it were her mom & dad, I understand why now mom was all up in the Kool-Aid. 

Glad I happened by late and noticed your post, topanga.  To appear on HH, buyers (or someone, lol - see below) must absolutely, positively have closed escrow.  I've noticed the "contract" misconception recently, catching up with the thread.  There's no way HH will incur production expenses and take the risk that the contract doesn't close.  (See below re:  RE contracts.)

Sure, IIRC, the HH application asks where buyers are in the process.  That allows the prod company to estimate closing dates and schedule their teams.  (They typically film 4-6 episodes in a given metro area, simultaneously.)  They need about 40 hours / five days filming to score enough usable footage to edit it down to the 22 minutes required for a 30 minute episode.     

In the U.S., it'd be my estimate that more than a 1/3, probably 35%, of RE contracts fail to close for whatever reason, starting with either the inspection, appraisal and/or loan contingencies.  Occasionally buyers finagle / manipulate those contingencies to escape the contract. 

Sometimes buyers just simply change their minds and walk away, forfeiting their deposit in the process.  Buying a home is a major financial commitment, often the largest one of a buyer's life.  As the penultimate day approaches, they get cold feet and search for an escape.

Incidentally, WRT the Chicago episode, I should have mentioned that there's no indication of another contract falling out of bed.  (Sorry, the technical term, lol!)  Thanks for posting, topanga - was able to edit my post, above.  It's a man's name, alone.  The public records don't normally lie.   

Just me talking here but I doubt HH would care whose name appears on the contract.  They're looking for a couple of under 40 (preferably) beautiful people with the gift of gab and a good storyline.  If a couple satisfies the first two requirements, the production company can easily satisfy the last one!   If someone's father or friend helped them out, would they care?  Doubt it.

BTW, many posters speculate about the source of funds for young buyers on the show.  This is one possible answer ...

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3

Anyone familiar with where the Oklahoma houses were located?  They were supposed to be in Oklahoma City, but I am thinking all of those houses are in surrounding towns a ways from Oklahoma City.  I can understand why the husband wanted a house in which the patio was situated away from the afternoon sun.  It can be very hot there, but in the end he bought a house with a west facing patio.  I didn't particularly like any of the houses they looked at.  They all looked the same and not one thing stood out as appealing to me.

I am also a person who doesn't like a front loading garage because that is all I see when I look at the front of a house that has one.  There is no way to disguise it or to ignore all that concrete in front of the house.  Having said that, I live in a house where the former owners enclosed the double carport to make a den and the driveway ran up to the front wall of the house.  I have spent a lot of $$ over the years trying to improve the curb appeal, but I still have to park the car in front of the house.  I finally have come to terms with that after exhausting all options due to the constraints of the lot siz, and configuration of the house, and my checking account.

My problem with the child sitting on the counter of the San Diego episode was not the the sanitary concern, but the safety concern. 
A child that age (of any age actually) should not be allowed to sit on a counter even with a parent in the kitchen, because of the danger of it losing its balance and falling off or maybe trying to crawl off the edge. 

• Love 3