Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: O'Dang Hummus, Mikki Bey Eyelash Extensions, LOLIWARE, Splikity

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Hummus is not a brand name.  It is the arabic word for "chickpeas."   

I can definitely see both sides. To a dumb American like myself "hummus" means "some kind of dip".  But people smarter than me (like RemoteControlFreak) expect it to mean something specific.

Perhaps it will turn out like Champagne. Which some might assume just means "sparkling wine" but which is a properly-protected term for the product of that region in France.

• Love 2

I've never been a fan of hummus, but I want some of that black bean dip, and the dill pickle one. I'll have to track down the nearest Publix. Maybe they'll have free taste samples!

When the tech guys said "We're going home to sign another deal and we're talking with 5 other companies. If you'd just given us 2 minutes." They are total tools who came on the show to hawk their product.

Update on Red Dress Boutique, I remember trying to look at their site and could never get in. Glad to see them doing well. $14 million in their first year is wildly successful for a clothing line that carries so many different things.

Lash girls got a FF from me. No thanks.

Lolliware cups are for kids. Period. I don't know anyone coming to any of my dinner parties who will want to eat their tableware.

• Love 1

re: the edible cups, I think the idea is that the flavor of the cup will complement the beverage, but they probably don't think most people will then literally eat the whole cup. Kids probably would, but adults would likely eat a little (like a sucker) around the top as they drank. I think it sounds like a fun party thing, but really just a novelty.

• Love 2

I can definitely see both sides. To a dumb American like myself "hummus" means "some kind of dip".  But people smarter than me (like RemoteControlFreak) expect it to mean something specific.

Perhaps it will turn out like Champagne. Which some might assume just means "sparkling wine" but which is a properly-protected term for the product of that region in France.

it doesn't, to me at least, even remotely mean "some kind of dip"--if you mean a generic by that, I mean. I wouldn't ever confuse a hummus dip with an onion dip, for example.

Perhaps the most confused I've ever been was years ago, in thinking that the name of the dip (that SPECIFIC dip, to be clear, and not just any generic one) was "hummus" and the legume was somehow magically called "chickpea"... even though that's clearly an English name and if I'd thought on it at the time I would have realized that makes no sense (since people were eating it long before the English came along). So learning at a later point that the legume was ALSO called "hummus" made sense to me (and in my mind the dip became "hummus dip" rather than "hummus"). 

• Love 1
re: the edible cups, I think the idea is that the flavor of the cup will complement the beverage, but they probably don't think most people will then literally eat the whole cup. Kids probably would, but adults would likely eat a little (like a sucker) around the top as they drank. I think it sounds like a fun party thing, but really just a novelty.

I think you're right about it being a fun party thing, which made me wonder...are they supposed to be refillable?  Or are you to eat your cup after finishing the drink?  I have a hard time picturing it in use at an event where people would likely be having more than one drink. 

Also, do they get sticky or have another weird texture?  

I kind of want to buy them just to see, but I have a hard time thinking of them as having much practical use value.

I think the edible cups will be a big hit for catered events.  For example, a display table using those colored cups as dessert vessels (filled with ice cream, mousse, whatever), would look awesome and would be something that guests would then want to do at their own events.  It would photograph well-- it's Pinterest catnip.  It's not really the type of item where you're expected to replace all your glassware with edible cups at home, but a great buzzworthy item to use at parties, and the type of people who like to throw lavish parties will love them.  I could totally see the type of parents from Real Housewives using those at their kids' over-the-top expensive birthday parties. 

• Love 1

I thought Mark was just being an asshole when he was all "you made a huge mistake, I would've offered whatever" when he said it as an aside after the other deal were done. We've seen Mark PLENTY of times suddenly blurt out an offer. So in the moment when he said "you know I'm still in right?" and then they edited it to look like hummus dude had a split second deer in headline moment and then said deal to the others, that was just dumb. Instead of saying "you know I'm still in, right?" say what your offer is like you do most of the time. Blurt in to interrupt with a number. He didn't, which said to me, maybe he didn't really want it as much as he was trying to suggest, and also says to the pitch guy "he still didn't offer me anything, better take the deal I have before they pull it out from under me for listening to Mark". Plus or minus maybe he didn't really go in wanting to work with Mark in the first place.

• Love 3

One of the selling points of those edible cups was, because they ARE edible, they are biodegradable so have no impact on the environment, unlike styrofoam or plastic cups. Yeah, someone might eat around the edges, but who cares, because once it's tossed away, it'll be gone, baby, gone. THAT'S the magic of that product.

• Love 6

It would never have occurred to me to make hummus using black beans, so thanks for that, Jesse O'Dang (I realize that's not his name but I don't get the product name). Anyway I may experiment with that. I assume there is oil in the hummus just not in the salad dressing.

Trader Joes makes a white bean hummus.  Personally, I don't think it tastes as good as real hummus with chickpeas.  

Since "hummus" LITERALLY means "Chickpeas", clearly calling something made from black beans that is a misnomer. A marketing trick. Not that it may not be good, but they're clearly simply borrowing the name to describe their category.

They may not get away with calling it that forever. For years a Lebanese group has been trying to prevent even the Israelis from using the name. Imagine what they might think of some upstart Americans, who aren't even using Chickpeas.

EDIT - Okay, it looks like it's just one variety with black beans. So it's only a small cheat.

There is company Eat well embrace life that makes various non hummus and sell it under Hummus name. I tried and buy repeatedly edamame hummus, black beans hummus and my favourite carrot hummus, although they also have white beans hummus. They are carried by Giant and Harris Teeter. They have been out for at least a year, thats when I started to buy it. Non of them has chickpea as ingredient. They are really good! Edited by ava111

Then what they are really making is Hummus-STYLE dips and counting on people not to care that the term is being misused here. So basically it's bean dip (although neither edamame or carrots are even beans). Okay, lets try again... it's some main ingredient with olive oil, salt and garlic, and probably also lemon, parsley, cumin, black pepper and maybe a little paprika.

I thought Mark was just being an asshole when he was all "you made a huge mistake, I would've offered whatever" when he said it as an aside after the other deal were done. We've seen Mark PLENTY of times suddenly blurt out an offer. So in the moment when he said "you know I'm still in right?" and then they edited it to look like hummus dude had a split second deer in headline moment and then said deal to the others, that was just dumb. Instead of saying "you know I'm still in, right?" say what your offer is like you do most of the time. Blurt in to interrupt with a number. He didn't, which said to me, maybe he didn't really want it as much as he was trying to suggest, and also says to the pitch guy "he still didn't offer me anything, better take the deal I have before they pull it out from under me for listening to Mark". Plus or minus maybe he didn't really go in wanting to work with Mark in the first place.

Also, Mark often gets mad when he makes an offer then the person wants to see what other Sharks may want to do.  It's annoying for him to get mad at someone asking to hear other deals AND get mad at them for taking a deal right away.  He just wants to be everyone's first choice.

Then what they are really making is Hummus-STYLE dips and counting on people not to care that the term is being misused here. 

True. But that's well-established in food. Tofu turkey, non-dairy cheese, zucchini pasta ... we have a high tolerance for calling foods what they remind us of even if they aren't strictly that thing.  "Black bean hummus" is an oxymoron, but I think most people will get a clear enough idea to look the other way on it.

Also, Mark often gets mad when he makes an offer then the person wants to see what other Sharks may want to do.  It's annoying for him to get mad at someone asking to hear other deals AND get mad at them for taking a deal right away.  He just wants to be everyone's first choice.

In this case I don't think he was mad. I think he was playing a game. That's always been my impression of Mark - this is a sport to him. He likes watching, likes playing, and takes competition seriously - but doesn't take it personally. I think you're absolutely right he wants to be everyone's first choice. But then, who wouldn't? He's just a little more transparent on it.

• Love 2

In this case I don't think he was mad. I think he was playing a game. That's always been my impression of Mark - this is a sport to him. He likes watching, likes playing, and takes competition seriously - but doesn't take it personally. I think you're absolutely right he wants to be everyone's first choice. But then, who wouldn't? He's just a little more transparent on it.

True, he probably doesn't take it personally.  But all the Sharks are Type A (that's part of why they are successful), so they all like winning.

Robert sometimes seems to take it personally when he doesn't get picked, but in this last episode it pretty much was personal because those girls had the same deal with him versus Barbara.

• Love 1

First a Lori observation: She was given an edible cup that was honey & lavender flavored.  Doesn't Lori avoid honey?  Wasn't that the reason she couldn't drink that cute little girl's lemonade that was sweetened with honey a last season?  Bee-sweet or something like that?   

I see those cups as being fun for about 1/2 of the cup, then tossed away in the trash.   $1.50 per cup is a hefty price for a novelty that may get thrown away.  And where do you store the leftovers?  How long do they last & are they shelf stable or do you have to refrigerate them?   Are they sugar-free?

Tuxedo security guys were idiots.  In looks and their product.

My problem with crying during the pitches apply equally to men and women.  It undermines your executive presence and appearance of leadership.   Plus, it makes most people watching you really uncomfortable.  I get that a lot of these folks have emotional reasons or foundations for creating their products, and it's a stressful place, I just think tears undermine the stable and calm demeanor they need to get somebody's money. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I'm glad Barbara told Mikky Bey to nix the crying, I realize everyone may not feel that way but there are plenty ways to show passion with tearing up. If someone has died, it's permissible but as a way of showing how committed they are, I agree with Barbara it gives the impression of being too emotional.

The tuxedo guys got eaten alive, I can only imagine what that must've been like for an hour or longer. They guys kept saying "give us two minutes", as if that would've made a difference. They didn't seem very well prepared, perhaps they should've brought a tech person with them or in place of one of them.

We looked at the loliware website because we liked the idea but they were too expensive. The shark tank special was $14.99 for four cups, cherry flavor only or $49.99 for sixteen cups, four of each flavor. I didn't want to try them that bad.

• Love 1

I wonder if Barbara would have felt differently about Nikki Bey crying if she had made her impassioned and tearful speech after other sharks had dropped out.  IIRC, She was giving her presentation and Kevin was heckling/bullying her and she started crying.  No one else had given opinions on the product, so it could be interpreted as she could handle the stress or wasn't strong enough to deal with someone who was aggressive (aggressive in a way that she would probably have to deal with many times in growing her business) - If one of her suppliers/investors yelled at her, would she start crying?

Contrast that with this scenario - she gives her presentation, all the sharks say they are out for whatever reason, and she then tears up and gives her impassioned speech.  Would her tears then appear more like the result of seeing the possibility of your life-long dream failing?  Would Barbara think this was not so bad as what really happened? 

He wants to be everyone's first choice, but he almost always waits until everyone else has made an offer or is out before he makes an offer.  If you usually wait until the end to make an offer, you are taking the risk that the entrepreneur will take an offer from someone else before you have a chance to give them yours.  

The tuxedo guys got eaten alive, I can only imagine what that must've been like for an hour or longer. They guys kept saying "give us two minutes", as if that would've made a difference. They didn't seem very well prepared, perhaps they should've brought a tech person with them or in place of one of them.

"Give us two minutes and you will be amazed at the number of questions we won't give you an answer to"

First a Lori observation: She was given an edible cup that was honey & lavender flavored.  Doesn't Lori avoid honey?  Wasn't that the reason she couldn't drink that cute little girl's lemonade that was sweetened with honey a last season?  Bee-sweet or something like that?   

It wasn't the honey, Lori is allergic to lemonade.

• Love 1

The edible cups are a fun party gag for about 2 minutes, then they get old.

Although I could see some variation of them working as an alternative to an ice cream cone. I.e. a "healthy", edible dish to go along with your "healthy" fro-yo. They'd also work with shakes. Strawberry lemonade at the fair. Desserts and mixed drinks at a chain restaurant.

• Love 1

To me, hummus is chickpea spread, not just chickpea.  I've seen Sabra offer other bean variations, just figured they had chickpea in there as well.  Haven't read the labels since I don't buy them.

We looked at the loliware website because we liked the idea but they were too expensive. The shark tank special was $14.99 for four cups, cherry flavor only or $49.99 for sixteen cups, four of each flavor. I didn't want to try them that bad.

I had it in my mind they retailed for $1.50 each. Go figure!

• Love 1

To me, the difference is if the card guy from last week is wrong, then his customers are equally vulnerable when using his product as they were without it. With the password guys, their customers could be more vulnerable for using the product. The problem with a service that stores all of a persons passwords is what Mark identified, a hacker just goes to one place and can get access to everything. Every credit card, every bank account, every piece of personal identification online. That's why I think the sharks were so right to be concerned with the security of the product. If this company doesn't stay ahead of hackers, they could open themselves up for liability.

I always wondered the same thing about those master password services. if you hack their servers you can completely steal someone's identity. My bank/credit carts etc. guarantee all of my money or what have you against online fraud (because they are giant companies), can these guys afford to do the same.

Speaking of things I have always wondered about, as a guy who likes women I can not figure out what is the deal with eyelash extensions (or the amount of commercials you see for eyelash make-up). I don't think I have ever looked at a woman and thought to myself how hot her eyelashes were.

• Love 1

Ahh the eyelash thing hehe. I actually have several friends who wear no other makeup except mascara. I generally wear some foundation/powder/blush but I have noticed anytime I add mascara I tend to get more compliments or comments on how rested, happy, etc. I look. I don't think anyone (except maybe the mascara-obsessed) even know the difference or think "oh what great eyelashes!" but I do notice a difference in peoples reactions. I can't even imagine messing with extensions and all that, though.

As for the card thing, I agree, the idea makes me nervous. I use mint.com and even that makes me nervous because I feel like all of my 'stuff' is in one spot if someone's inclined to steal it.

I noticed a Mikki Bey eyelash store next to my dentist. I did not go in but I'm surprised about the location. I think it's been opened for a while but I barely noticed it 6 months ago (last time I went to the dentist). My dentist isn't in a terrible location but I started going there when I was making $25k a year and needed a good, cheap dentist (I'm still going there a few years later because she is a good dentist but I could probably afford more expensive now). 

I would have figured the Mikki Bey store to be in Beverly Hills or somewhere not where it is.