Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: I, Witness

OnceSane

Well, that was pretty darn good. Felt like Old Skool SH for the most part. 

I'm very happy that Abbie said "no, call me Leftenant"!

I loved the sign throwing from Ichabod. Man I laughed a stupid amount at that. 

Well done.

Actually looking forward to the next episode!

• Love 8

A step in the right direction, although it really had nowhere to go but up after the majority of the second season.

Of course, they were smart enough to make sure they had plenty of Ichabod and Abbie.  Pretty much all of their scenes were great, from the investigations, to Ichabod seeing her new office, and, of course, the scene at the colonial "eatery", which was the best thing ever.  Ichabod's outrage at the entire thing was close to perfection as a show can get.

Glad that Jenny is back too, and seems to be in the thick of it.  I like that she is being used not just because of her badass skills, but her knowledge of artifacts as well.  It kind of felt like they forgot about that part at times last season.  Then again, there were times last season where it felt like they forgot Jenny even existed...

Bummed that Frank's send-off was off-screen and underwhelming, but I guess it was unavoidable.

New faces: so far, intrigued enough with Pandora.  I thought Shannyn Sossamon was actually one of the better things about Wayward Pines this summer (plus anyone from A Knight's Tale automatically is on my good list), and I thought she did a good job at giving the character an aura of mystery, and having fun, but not going too much into camp like John Noble admittedly did at times (won't even touch on whatever the hell Katia Winter was trying to do.)  Can't say the same for Betsy Ross.  Besides the obvious attempts at sexing her up, I just felt like Nikki Reed was playing her too modern.  I didn't see someone from that time, but a modern person playing dress-up.  It kind of reminds me of that WGN show, Salem, where most sound authentic, and then there is Shane West playing his character almost exactly the same way he played Michael in Nikita.  It's just distracting.  Maybe she'll grow into it, but I'm not too optimistic.

Bummed that Headless is gone, but this admittedly a decent way to show how powerful Pandora is.

Totally knew C. Thomas Howell was doomed.  At least it was only his throat, and he didn't lose his head, Corbin style, if that's any consolation...

Overall, a solid reboot, and I'm curious to see where they take it next.  I'm also curious to see how many will stick with it in this new, tougher time-slot (granted, considering how Minority Report is pretty much tanking, they could very well put it back there if things get too rough.)

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

"I expect nothing and I'm still let down" - Dewey Wilkerson

That's a little unfair, because Abbie delivered as Agent Mills

he tried to put the team back together and the chemistry failed as result. The spark was just not there. That's what happens for making Abbie too accommodating of Ichy's shit for no good reason.

Meh, I don't think their chemistry in S2 was all that great. The producers said once they had lightning in a bottle with these two, but they preferred to let it fizzle out in the most cowardly way and I'm afraid it can't be captured again. I think it's more noticeable now, because they're cranking the teasing to eleven and this urge CC has to pretend Crane didn't screw Abbie up at every turn is not helping. That hug wasn't earned, it was a gimmick and a shortcut for actual character growth, because heaven forbid Crane is accountable for his actions.

So other than exchanging Katrina for a better version, what exactly is different? Cringeworthy man out of time humor? Check. Ichabbie shipper baiting? Check. On screen romance for Ichabod, but not for Abbie? Check. The Mythology exclusively in Crane's hands? Check. Abbie as the work horse? Check. Abbie giving him yet another pass for his awful behavior? Check. Abbie's character getting screwed to prop Crane? But of course! Maybe Goffman was nothing but a scapegoat?

I don't accept this Crane reset. They can do as if nothing really happened and he wasn't the shittiest character, together with his beloved wife and son, but not acknowledging it, doesn't mean it will disappear. Since Crane remains an unrepentant shitty person, I must assume he's some kind of narcissistic psychopath and incapable of true feelings and empathy. See how he didn't give a crap about Abbie when he left or when he came back, since he didn't want to contact her at all. However, once he was forced to have her back in the picture, he insisted she should give up the life she built for herself, because he said so. Suddenly, what matters for him is the mission, when he was the one who didn't give a fuck for one season and a half? Something is disturbingly off with him.

One thing I didn't expect was anything Katrina, but unfortunately she is still a presence in the show.

SBR said: “Some day some woman will make you forget about your manners and make you do something impulsive” She might have meant she could be that woman in the near future, but I suspect that was a reference to Katrina.

- Ichabod and the ladies... makes me cringe.

That whole thing was ridiculous. I knew the SBR/Crane would be bad, but Abbie's assistant's infatuation was a step too far and knowing how far up Crane's ass these writers are, I bet she won't be the only one.

- Crane pain: I did not feel an ounce of sympathy/empathy/pity for Crane and his challenge of finding a place in the world. I have never emotionally connected much to Crane but now I just lost all interest and only enjoy his comedic moments.

He just sounds whiny to me. Every time he speaks, all the time. His voice has become the definition of whiny.

I already miss Orlando Jones terribly.

• Love 1

I liked the opening a lot except for that dud Betsy Ross and all her silliness.  Hope that was a one show and off.  And the bad edit where Jenny is seemingly left for dead at the end while Crane and Abbie share a moment.  But that seemed an editing mistake.  The Betsy Ross thing was a total misque.  I don't need a new Katrina 2.0 but this time as a retcon revolutionary female acting like she belongs in a modern day pirate movie comedy.

Also you can't have Sleepy Hollow without the Headless Horseman.  Come on Pandora, unleash the kraken!  (uh, horseman I mean).  But really I live for Headless galloping through town with axe and shotgun in tow.  Bring back Headless asap!!!

Great work by the three leading actors. Perfecting timing and humor.  I watch for that humor and the camp.  (And Headless, bring him back pronto!!).  And about time they got back to the core three in their super secret squirrel clubhouse.  Better not get rid of that underground room.  I see Crane leading a protest against the mini-mall soon.

I can't get the cursor to go below the quote uh, below.  So about that quote.  My first thought on reading it is that Abby is to boss-mentors what Spinal Tap is to drummers.  Maybe we should have a boss a week killed as a recurring theme

I think it's the third boss Abbie's lost. First was the guy who was her and Jenny's mentor in the pilot. Then Irving. And then the one this week.
Edited by green
  • Love 3

It was...OK.

I still love Ichabod, Abbie, and Jenny. The chemistry is still here, I still enjoy them and I think that's the most important.

It's too bad they didn't keep C.Thomas Howell, the little I saw of his character was one of my favorite parts of the episode -I didn't like at all the  guy in the preview with his smarmy smile. The tech is cute, I wouldn't have a problem with her recurring.

Also, for me Pandora could be an interesting villain, I liked the actress and the concept of a Big Bag hiding in plain sight.

But my mind wandered through the episode, and it isn't a good sign since I missed entire scenes because I started thinking about work. I didn't feel the dialogues, even in the A/I scenes, the plot of the week didn't hold my interest. I enjoyed little moments, scenes here and there, a lot. But it lacked cohesion.

Also, I miss Irving. O.Jones brought something to this show for me. He was the salt, if you want. I always had the feeling that Team Witness had someone who had their back, and I miss his interactions with Jenny. Without him, I feel that the general balance if off.

I think that N.Reed was OK in her role. But I hope that the new team of writers won't completely forget continuity (Katrina was established as the love of Ichabod's life back then and he was hiding from Betsy Ross, IIRC). And like many others, I'm afraid of a Katrina 2.0 who would show up in the present timeline, too.

Maybe I'm just weary and wary after a terrible season 2. But I have the feeling that although the writers reunited Team Witness, they're preparing to give importance to the parts of their lives where they aren't together (flash-backs and FBI) rather than make them progress, grow  and fight together. I guess I'm a bit afraid to "commit" again.

I used to say that I'd watch T.Mison and N.Beharie read the phone book together, and it's still true because they're still as great as before. So anyway I'll watch next week and hopefully, I'll be enthusiastic and fangirling.

• Love 2

I really don't know. I think they squeezed way too much exposition into the first forty minutes, and I don't think they had to. I think it would have worked as a two-part episode, and doing it this way diluted the effect of the storylines they were introducing. They abbreviated scenes to the point where the death of Abbie's mentor by demon (and thank you, green, for the note about the Spinal Tap drummers, which made me scare my cat) had the same weight as the hostage drama, the story of the tablet, Abbie's brief visit to the largest bespoke office ever assigned to an agent at most four months out of training and the how the hell did this subject even come up introduction of badass corset!Betsy. And none of it registered as much as eggs Benedict Arnold.

At the very least they could have held off on badass corset!Betsy this week, since pretty much the only reason she was included was to introduce her to the audience, and her only scene was pretty dull.

The happy notes: I liked the witnesses together, although I wish we'd gotten a little more about where Jenny's been. After that wtf scene at the beginning where she looked like someone on ecstasy trying to gentle the demon like a skittish horse, Shannon Sossamon seemed to fit in pretty well as a stealth evil bartender. And I really enjoyed that Abbie and Ichabod have essentially the same hairstyle now. I just really hope they start showing us the world they're building instead of having people sit around talking about the world they've built. 

All in all, though, this was far and away the least disappointing thing I watched last night, and I'm cautiously optimistic

• Love 2

Bummed that Frank's send-off was off-screen and underwhelming, but I guess it was unavoidable.

Bummed that Headless is gone, but this admittedly a decent way to show how powerful Pandora is.

Totally new C. Thomas Howell was doomed.  At least it was only his throat, and he didn't lose his head, Corbin style, if that's any consolation...

Overall, solid reboot, and I'm curious to see where they take it next.  I'm also curious to see how many will stick with it in this new, tougher time-slot (granted, considering how Minority Report is pretty much tanking, they could very well put it back there if things get too rough.)

Did I miss any reference to Frank? Headless is not gone , I prefer to think that he is being held in reserve in Pandora's Box. hopefully Abraham Van Bruent is gone to be replaced by another unstoppable stomping cavalryman

I didn't know C. Thomas Howell was doomed. I was expecting Abbie to be a resident agent not a full office with a SAiC so I was thinking he was replacing the Sheriff and Captain Irving, but when he almost lost his head like Clancy Brown, also the most recognizable actor did in the original pilot I had a nice chuckle at how far the reboot went.

Nice reboot. Unfortunate that we had to lose Captain Irving, but it's definitive that Katrina/Henry is OVAH! Even the Headless Horseman is Death in a Box for the time being.

"Seven Tribulations" --- well, one down and six to go into Season 3. Need to catch up.

There were enough hints that Betsy and Ichabod had an "It's Complicated" relationship. I wouldn't be surprised with Katrina gone, they'd retcon this up.

It's refreshing to see a newbie with an interest in Ichabod NOT die before the opening credits.

Also, note to self: use bathroom BEFORE watching show. The 17-minite teaser almost busted my bladder.

• Love 1

I thought it was seven years and not seven tribulations but I guess I just heard that wrong.  No matter what happens, there's no way this show is going to show seven seperate tribulations unless they do multiple ones.

So glad I didn't have to suffer with C.Thomas Howell for long.

I was all "Yay! Ponyboy!".......

I didn't know C. Thomas Howell was doomed. I was expecting Abbie to be a resident agent not a full office with a SAiC so I was thinking he was replacing the Sheriff and Captain Irving, but when he almost lost his head like Clancy Brown, also the most recognizable actor did in the original pilot I had a nice chuckle at how far the reboot went.

....then I was all"Holy shit, does C. Thomas Howell die in everything!?!" Stay gold, my friend. 

I lost it with the "this is how we spoke"/ "if we were wounded in the head" exchange. 

• Love 6

Okay, so it wasn't as good as the best of season 1 but it was hella better than most of last season so I'm fine.

The good: Crane's wardrobe hasn't changed, the dialogue is still wonderful, Abbie is still kickass and Jenny is back.  Pandora seems interesting and Shannon Sossamyn is a better actress than Katia Ward.  Colonial Times!  Bobble Head Washington and Franklin!!!!

The not so good: Not sure I like Crane's haircut and pretty sure I don't like Abbie's but I'll get used to them.  Betsy Ross - colonial ninja, and her videogame costume, ugh!  Plus, Nikki Reed is a terrible actress.  And yet, still better than Katrina.

• Love 5

....then I was all"Holy shit, does C. Thomas Howell die in everything!?!" Stay gold, my friend. 

I am pretty sure Officer Dewey Dudek made it through Southland's run.

• Love 4

Loved it.  Smiling all the way through. 

Abbie continues to be awesome - at her job, in understanding Crane's situation, by not totally giving him a pass.

Yes, the hug was poorly timed but I needed it.

I still feel like this is one of, if not the best "relationship" on TV for me (Dean and Cas watch out).

Yes! That and... how did he get on an airplane? Or did he take a boat??

Definitely a plane.  He said something about learning what "return your seat to the upright position" meant.  I soooo wanna see that!

Mison continues to be flop in romantic situations. Such an embarrassing kiss!

I don't think he was a flop - I think the kiss was supposed to be awkward as hell.

• Love 13

I'm with Julia - this left me Cautiously Optimistic.

It would have fit nicely in with season 1.  I just wish we could have avoided having to look at Katrina at all, but I guess the tiny flashback was necessary to explain the necklace to viewers who bailed in the middle of season 2.  Oh well.  Hope that's the last we'll see of her.

That was my feeling too, but I doubt we'll be that lucky.  If they are smart, they will include sporadic footage of Katrina whenever the masses are disgruntled with Nikki Reed because NR will only benefit by the "at least she;s not Katrina" thoughts.

I'm not feeling Betsy Ross AT ALL and Nikki Reed is an...interesting...casting choice, but Evil Girl Pandora is okay so far. They gave Shannyn Sossamon some really thankless material tonight but she pulled it off pretty decently, it wasn't too hokey. I'm curious to see where they go with her. Also, dayum, she was kind of hitting on Abbie hardcore. "It's time to go back to my HOTEL ROOM. It's  SIGN." Hee!

Glad to read I am not the only one who saw something going on here! 

Also, I dub this version of Betsy Ross "Busty Ross."  It's not that I have a problem with busty women in general, I just am wondering if she has a point other than being the requisite "sexy revolutionary era woman" that I really don't think this show needs.

I hadn't seen any photos or previews of Betsy in an attempt to keep myself from falling into the SH Black Hole (too early), so I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't as boobtastic as I was fearing.  Totally inappropriate for a woman trying to pass as a man in Colonial times not to mention war, but how else will the audience know she is supposed to be sexy! unless there's cleavage?  But she looked more pirate-y to me than Colonialish.  But my 14 yo daughter said she like the outfit so who knows?  And my main thought was "Well, at least she's not Katrina".

And most importantly - You killed Binky 2 - Ba***rds.

Oh crap! 

Whoa, what? THAT was C. Thomas Howell. Wow? Did not recognize at all.....

Me neither!

"Seven Tribulations" --- well, one down and six to go into Season 3. Need to catch up.

Was the first one Katrina?

• Love 3

I don't think he was a flop - I think the kiss was supposed to be awkward as hell.

And yet he was the same with Winter, when actual passion/attraction had to be sold, but he flopped even harder.

I liked it! Haven't deleted yet so I may watch again. To answer someone's question from way back in the thread, didn't Hawley gift Ichabod with a passport and other forged documents last season? I could swear that happened. If so, that's how he was able to travel.

I thought the SBR kiss was very awkward and her statement about some woman making Crane forget propriety in the future? Maybe it's my shipper love glasses but I totally thought that referred to Abbie! The Crane and WhisperTits love affair was so chaste, are we honestly sure Henry wasn't conceived by supernatural means? It was so passionless that they basically had anti-chemistry. So there's no way in hell that statement was about SWMNBN. Nor was it about Sexy Betsy, as that cringe worthy kiss proved. There was no softening of his stance, no leaning into it, his lips never changed their placement or shape. Believe me, I was watching for any indication of acquiescence on his part. Not a drop.

Contrast that with the Ichabbie hug - you can plainly see Crane's body relax into it. His eyes closed. His arms flexed tighter around her. THAT was hot.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed the episode. I agree that there was a level of distance between the Witnesses, but even with that, I thought their chemistry was amazing. I think that connection between Abbie/Ichabod (Nicole/Tom) is what's going to make finding a romantic partner for Ichabod and Abbie difficult from a casting standpoint. The interaction between Ichabod and Betsy fell completely flat to me. I saw no spark. I'm not sure if that's a result of my annoyance over Betsy Ross, Sexy Ninja Spy or not, but I got nothing between those two characters. We'll see what happens with Abbie's old flame next week, but it they're trying to find someone for Ichabod, who is not Abbie, they're going to have to do a much better job with their casting, in my opinion. 

I loved the scene in the car - and am going to need to watch it again - but there was one shot of Abbie when Ichabod was going off about something and she had the sweetest, just amused, look on her face. And then when he said he was all alone, her reaction to me said both hurt and sad. I loved it.

• Love 1

Forgot to mention, I think Nikki Beharie is so sparkly, she has chemistry with everyone she shares scenes with, regardless of what's in the script. I thought Pandora was almost flirting with Abbie, their interaction just crackled. She definitely sparked more with StruggleWitch than Ichabod did. Just spec but, I wonder if the key to stopping Pandora will be letting everything in her box (heh, dirty!) out so they can get to Hope at the bottom. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Love 6

I hope the rest of the season revolves around organizing to save the Archives!

I was distracted by Ichy's floppy hair. He needs a headband.

When Ichy was going on about not having a family or anyone I thought hey, go after Dani and you can have all of that! I also thought "Project Anaconda" might be a sly reference to a certain photograph published a year or so ago.

Nooo!!!! The ponytail is GONE! I loved the ponytail.

Ahem.

I enjoyed it. And I loved seeing Ichabod and Abbie bantering...loved the Colonial Times rant, and how Ichabod got in that doofus's face with "why are you talking like that" and then slamming the tricorn in the correct position before stomping off.

I didn't realize how much I missed the show Ichabod and Abbie until I watched the episode.

Will Yolanda return?

I'm very easily pleased.

• Love 12

I see I'm not the only who noticed that they just left Jenny lying there. 

Betsy Ross was played by a really bland, generic actress. I hope we never see her again. 

Otherwise, I liked the episode. 

Betsy Ross was in the opening credits. I think she is in it for the long haul. How many episodes before she is walking around in modern Sleepy Hollow? I guess 4.

• Love 2

A light fluffy show so I glad there was more humor back in it and I do hope they retain that - it works within the show's craziness.  And, Mison's timing is very good with humor.  

I hand wave the bulk of it so them not checking right away on her sister and his being able to leave the country, etc is just included in all the hand waving.  

As much as I adore John Noble (and still miss Fringe), I'm glad he's gone - at least, I hope that is permanent.  His character was just - annoying.  And, looking IMdB - it does look like he won't be back this year; here's hoping.  

For a new FBI agent, she does seem to have a lot of free time to run around and not be accountable to anyone for her time - again, hand wave.

I'll hang in until and unless they get to last year's level of awful

• Love 2

Ichabod's "ritual" being added to by Jesus? Floored me  due to it being so left field! I hope that he is freed and comes to Ichabod for help in a future episode! 

I was hoping that Jenny would think about hanging out a shingle as a P.I., as she'd get income, she could set her hours, as much as she could, and it takes away the tired  obstacle of Jenny having needed weapons illegally. Not that I have to have Jenny squeaky clean, but  Jenny's had to push back against so much, that even if it took her a bit, a permit and license would be nice, for the character. It doesn't even have to be a big thing. A line here or there about Jenny having to document this and talk to Person H about the whole magilla.

I like Betsy Ross more as a story than as a recurring character, but I will give her another couple of flashbacks. ITA about how was she dressed to go behind enemy lines dressed like that? I read books when I was a kid about the girls and women who had to wrap themselves super tight in order to pass as a guy. It wasn't wrapped to push the girls up either.  Bad writers! I have magazines, so don't make me roll 'em up, please.

I was actually quite pleased that Shannyn Sossamon was in this and as the antagonist! She had a thankless job in Wayward Pines ( which finally aired just a few months ago on FOX), and I remember hoping that there was something more exciting for her to join.  IA that there was something between Pandora and Abbie. I'm willing to let it marinate and see what actually plays out.

I yelled at the TV when C. Thomas Howell's bossman got gakked. I swear, if Abbie starts another season with a boss and he ( because of course it is)  dies/ severely injured/disfigured/ gets a hangnail, I will be so upset. Since this show loves it some flashbacks, we may get some flashbacks, like we get from Corbin now and again. Abbie seemed to really like and respect him and he seemed to feel the same. Which is another thing that hacks me off about Bossapalooza-- why can't Abbie at least have a steady, positive boss? He didn't have to believe in The Cause, like Irving eventualy did, but Abbie's Fed boss also didn't have to die/get hurt/ be an assy obstacle like the lady sheriff started as.  ( I sort of liked her as the season rolled on, but she might be in the attic with Chuck Cunningham, for the amount of screen-time she got.)

Please continue with Ichabod's rants on historical accuracy! It is wonderful and funny and I like that Crane isn't ranty in every single episode.  It's a cherry on the Crane sundae, a small pleasure in the overall treat.

I am concerned for Headless; I hope he can free himself.

• Love 3

Totally new C. Thomas Howell was doomed.  At least it was only his throat, and he didn't lose his head, Corbin style, if that's any consolation...

It wasn't Headless this time around so his death had to be different yet a callback to the Corbin's death in the pilot.

Betsy Ross was in the opening credits. I think she is in it for the long haul. How many episodes before she is walking around in modern Sleepy Hollow? I guess 4.

A series regular, I think.

Ouch

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/02/tv-ratings-thursday-sleepy-hollow-premieres-way-down-bones-the-blacklist-climb/474974/

I am pretty sure it's lower than any episode of season 2. Although I am not surprised, a lot of people are either unaware that it was back, and caught it by chance, or were put off by what little they heard of this upcoming season. The upside is, I see a lot of people who gave up on season 2 and are poking their head back in for this season.

• Love 4

I keep seeing from different posts both on Facebook and at different sites about the "distance" between Abbey and Crane and I am confounded. She was really ticked that he left for 9 months with nary a word. Then as she said the one time he is really in a bind he calls. Wouldn't you be ticked? Maybe its just me but if that were me I would have made him sit another 5 days. That is how I deal with distance. Anyway if she had been all "Oh its so good to see you" or "No problem don't worry I understand why you did what you had to do". She basically told him she was pissed that the only phone call he made was when he got locked up. So I think it was handled the right way by her but that is just me. 

The other thing that truly gets me is all the kerfuffle about Crane's hair. Geez louise, its only hair for crying out loud. Here is something and I guess maybe because I have done so much reading both on American history and world history and different cultures, back in the 1700's through even to some cultures today (Japanese and Jewish cultures spring to mind) when one loses a spouse,the surviving spouse will cut their hair as a sign of not only loss but also out of devotion to that person whom they loved. I can't believe that for so many people who profess such knowledge or love of this show that so many didn't know that fact. Person after person complaining to the hilt about this that or the other yet taking very little time to even research the fact that the cutting of ones hair upon the loss of a spouse or significant other and what it signified culturally at that time. Also the fact that Crane kept the necklace is another important link to that. While we all abhorred the Katrina character and how the writers totally misused her (and the fact that Katia Winter was a poor fit for the role) basic fact remains, Crane loved her. So why is it so hard to believe that even after all that she had become that he would not mourn her loss and the loss of his son. It is what his character is. It is also what makes his character so engaging because there is this rigidness to him that says you act this way and not that and nary show emotion to anything. Being stoic was essentially the "stiff upper lip" as the British used to say and still do to this day. Had Crane gone all wobbly and weepy people wouldn't have bought it. So for all the lamenting about the hair, let's accept it as a sign that he is mourning the loss of someone who was important to his foundation as a witness. Nothing more, nothing less. I still think it leaves open the door for he and Abbey to be together if that is the direction that the writers and the production company are going to take it this season. I do hope they drop the infatuation that Miss Dannie showed Crane thought. Look he is a very attractive guy no question about it. However every woman that walks into the room shouldn't go all wobbly over him either. So hopefully that will pass. We also don't know what the character of Daniel Reynolds holds for Abbey. Was this an infatuation or substitution for Crane while on his walkabout or was this a real attraction or relationship that somehow became dislodged after Abbey and he graduated from the academy? We will have to wait and see. 

I think last nights episode was a really good reboot for the series. However now that the ratings have come out I'm not so sure that things will be so rosy. The ratings were dismal to say the least and I can't help but think there are numerous factors. First off Thursday nights just are a killer for this show. Why Fox did this is beyond me unless they are truly uncommitted to this show and are looking for a way to kill it off (Hello Hulu Originials...just saying). Between NFL football, Scandal and the Blacklist,frankly that they got a 1.0 is even surprising to say the least. Hopefully good word of mouth by those who watched the episode and saw it and are hopeful that it is returning to is form from S1 will garner it more viewers but I don't see that happening on Thursday nights. If Minority Report continues to tank and I believe it will (it isn't unwatchable but its close) hopefully TPTB at Fox will move it back to its original time slot where it belongs. I don't see that happening however until the Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover (which I have yet to think of how they will even begin to accomplish that) unless it has to do with them translating that tablet if Crane gets stuck and some discovery of "bones" in a place that they did not expect, like maybe when they go to demo the Archives. I almost hope that they don't demo the Archives and that a push is made by the Historical Society of SH to keep the Archives since the Battle of Lexington was plotted there. Hopefully someone will petition them to keep it intact for whatever reason or maybe it will be bought for them to work out of. They have to have a home base to work from. I do think there are positives to take from this episode and to build on. Pandora as a big bad may work two ways. When you look at the myth of Pandora she was, according to the myth, the first woman on Earth. She was created by Gods and each of them gave her a gift, thus, her name in Greek means “the one who bears all gifts”. So does this mean that all of her gifts to SH will be all evil? Maybe, maybe not. Pandora was created as a punishment to the mankind; Zeus wanted to punish people because Prometheus stole the fire to give it to them. Pandora's gifts were beautifully evil, according to Hesiod. Hephaestus created her from clay perfectly. Aphrodite gave her femininity. Athena taught her crafts and Hermes was ordered by Zeus to teach her to be deceitful, stubborn and curious.Pandora was given a box called “pithos” in Greek. The gods told her that the box contained special gifts from them but she was not allowed to open the box ever. Hermes took her to Epimetheus, brother of Prometheus, to be his wife. Prometheus had advised Epimetheus not to accept anything from the gods, but he saw Pandora and was astonished by her beauty and he accepted her right away. Pandora was trying to not let her curiosity rule, but she her curiosity got the best of her and she opened the box and all that gods had hidden in the box started to come out. Pandora was scared, because she saw all the evil spirits coming out and tried to close the box as fast as possible and closed Hope inside. According to Hesiod, Hope stayed inside because that was Zeus’ will. He wanted to let people suffer in order to understand that they should not disobey their gods. Pandora not created to be malicious. So it will be interesting to see just how the writers treat her this season. I don't think she killed Headless. Rather I think she trapped his evil, his death inside the box and the power of death to rule over what is inside the box. There is something actually bigger in the box then Pandora herself. What that could be is anyone's guess. Don't forget as well that the tablets say that the two people depicted are "destroyers". That is something totally different then witnesses. So that is going to play big this season as well. Plus did anyone catch the significance of the sign that said "Village of Sleepy Hollow, Population 144,000?  That is significant because in the Book of Revelations Chapt 7 when John has his 1st vision it is of the 144,000 martyrs being sealed and protected from what is coming. So does that mean the town is protected? 

I loved the scene in the Colonial Times restaurant. It was everything that S1 of SH did best. I laughed and Crane was at his best. When Crane was telling her in the ICE detention center about his "Can you hear me Jesus" commune, I got a good giggle out of that. Even Abbey for everything that she is, being an FBI agent, stole the parcel pouch that Betsy Ross carried the message and then used the Vigeneres Cipher for the message that was given to her. I loved the ride to the Archives and the story about "return your seat to the upright and locked position" and Abbey saying "Crane on a plane". That is what made S1 and even minute parts of S2 so enjoyable. The small quibbles between both Abbey and Crane with the occasional chime in by Jenny. If that stays at the forefront of S3 plus the story telling is what it was then the possibility of S4 might happen, but only if they move the day. I don't see it happening if it stays on Thursdays but like I also said maybe that is where Hulu Originals can come to the rescue or it is moved back to Mondays in its original time slot. Should have left it there to begin with but who knows.  

Much positive about the episode that I think bodes well for the season ahead. So far the reviews seem positive with the occasional grumbling that is always out there for any show.  

Edited by MsArchangel
  • Love 3

I LOVED this episode! LOVED IT!

Ichabod was back to his likable self - ornery about American Capitalism and egregious use of our history to make a buck - but still oh so earnest and really desperate to find his place in the world.

And BAMF ABBIE!!! Yes! She was awesome! And just like some of us thought - she was rejecting the whole Witness thing at first because she didn't want to get sucked back into that - not after realizing her dream of becoming an FBI agent. But then she stepped up into that role because she saw she was needed. That scene with the criminal who saw the demon was surprisingly good - and emotional. I actually felt badly for him - he saw something terrible and wanted to be believed... and Abbie believed him because she knows it's all true.

And Pandora! I loved her! She's really creepy and just bad... I don't quite get her motives yet - but when she bumped into Abbie at the end, I got chills.

And that part when Ichabod saw Abbie for the first time after 9 months.... wow - the music changed and everything... and he looked so content in that moment when he saw her.... I went "Awwwwww!" and then Abbie snort laughed and then I snort laughed with her.

The Ichabbie banter was back in full force - gahhhh I loved it!

Thank goodness the show is back!

Thanks for posting exactly how I feel about the show! Back on track and ready to roll.

• Love 2

And yet he was the same with Winter, when actual passion/attraction had to be sold, but he flopped even harder.

I put that on her, not him.  Katia Winter is a terrible actress who couldn't sell anything about the character, whereas Tom Mison has chemistry by the ton with other actresses.

• Love 5

In retrospect I am glad they did not show Crane on a Plane (who else thought of Green Eggs and Ham?).  That will be a nice amusing flashback when they show it.

The other thing that truly gets me is all the kerfuffle about Crane's hair. Geez louise, its only hair for crying out loud. Here is something and I guess maybe because I have done so much reading both on American history and world history and different cultures, back in the 1700's through even to some cultures today (Japanese and Jewish cultures spring to mind) when one loses a spouse,the surviving spouse will cut their hair as a sign of not only loss but also out of devotion to that person whom they loved. I can't believe that for so many people who profess such knowledge or love of this show that so many didn't know that fact. Person after person complaining to the hilt about this that or the other yet taking very little time to even research the fact that the cutting of ones hair upon the loss of a spouse or significant other and what it signified culturally at that time.

While I don't care about the hair (bear), knowledge nor love of the show equate to historical knowledge and customs.  If that is what they were going for (rather than freeing TM of that uncomfortable wig) a throwaway line explaining the significance to Jenny or Abbey would have taken a nanosecond.

• Love 7

I'm inclined to think Crane's trimmed hair had more to do with getting rid of the wig than an expression of grief, though the show (or fans fanwanking) are free to use grief as a reason. Personally, as much as I loved the length, the pony-tail and even the man-bun on him, his real hair is much nicer to look at than the wig. 

• Love 3

I thought the hair was explained by Abbie trying to present a more professional appearance as a federal agent and Crane trying to adjust to the new time he belongs to now, but I think since they left it up in the air it's kind of a head-canon thing.

• Love 2

The other thing that truly gets me is all the kerfuffle about Crane's hair. Geez louise, its only hair for crying out loud.

I liked his hair long and will miss it.  I'm not going to spend hours lamenting its loss, but I think I'm entitled to a couple of episodes' worth of mourning.

Here is something and I guess maybe because I have done so much reading both on American history and world history and different cultures, back in the 1700's through even to some cultures today (Japanese and Jewish cultures spring to mind) when one loses a spouse,the surviving spouse will cut their hair as a sign of not only loss but also out of devotion to that person whom they loved. I can't believe that for so many people who profess such knowledge or love of this show that so many didn't know that fact. Person after person complaining to the hilt about this that or the other yet taking very little time to even research the fact that the cutting of ones hair upon the loss of a spouse or significant other and what it signified culturally at that time.

I have a history degree, and I've not come across many references to such rituals among the English and/or Colonial Americans.  I'm not saying it wasn't done at all, but it doesn't seem to be common at the time except in certain religions.  But even if it was something that everybody did and was perfectly normal for Ichabod, some of us really liked the long hair, so we commented on its loss.  You know, the way fans do about shows they like.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

I like the hair a lot and I'm partial to guys with long hair. It looks really good on Mison and he's probably thrilled (and I'm happy for him) he doesn't have to wear a wig anymore in the Atlanta heat, or spend 1.5 hours having it put on. Oh, and he looks good in orange scrubs too (to me).../endshallowcomment

tumblr_nvig5kCKul1sjmqvno1_500.jpg

I do get a kick though, that every season, Crane and Abbie have matching hairstyles....

• Love 12

I got home at 8:45 last night. I grabbed some snacks, flopped on my couch, and flipped on my tv to see....NOTHING. My cable was out. ARGH!!!!

Now that I've finally gotten to see the premiere, I  have to say that I really enjoyed it. It definitely felt more like season 1. There were a few things I didn't like or were a bit unbelievable, but overall I thought it was solid. It wasn't a blow you away episode and unfortunately, I don't think it was an episode that would entice new viewers, but I think it was a good episode for fans who have stuck with the show through season 2. And while I'm going to miss Headless and OG version Moloch, I do like Pandora as the big bad.

The only things that really bothered me were Jenny losing her shot due to a such a lame reason and then getting knocked out with no one checking on her (that easily could have been written differently and still allowed for the hug) and Betsy seemed so contrived and pandering with her visible corset (she's disguised as a male, but wears no shirt and has makeup on, riiiight), the random kiss, and her bestest spy ever rep. 

I'm in for the season...or however long it lasts. Shame about the ratings.

• Love 3

I was happy. 

No, I didn’t care for Betsy Ross and her breasts in the thick of battle.  I can only assume her Plan B was to flash the enemy, causing them to faint if she missed her target.   I also asked myself “But what about Jenny?” and how the hell were Crane and Jenny just walking around a FBI crime scene.

But I loved that SH kept the opening of Katrina raising her arms and the trees suddenly grew to the beat of the music.

I loved Ichabod’s conversation with “Jesus” and later, when Abbie asked if Crane wanted to stay, his reply to the negative as he left with her.

I loved that SH threw in  a twist-history with “Don’t fire until you see the white of their eyes.”

I thought it appropriate that Ichabod and Abbie felt some distance when they met up again.  As someone else said, we may hate Katrina but Crane’s character loved her and Henry was his son. 

I thought it true to Abbie’s character to have reluctance to resume “Witness” duties after getting back the life she had planned for herself.
I do miss Headless but after the events of yesterday, it probably was a good he wasn’t around swinging his axe and assault rifle.  Didn’t SH have bad timing last year with a promo that started at the same time as an ISIS beheading?   Plus, Headless isn’t gone, Pandora simply captured him for the moment.
Which reminds me, I love the character of Pandora.

So I’m back onboard.  I know not everyone agrees, but,  IMO, Clifton Campbell is trying to do the show justice.  He also (again IMO) seems to be a man who uses words carefully about his shows.  Campbell also holds things he wants viewers to discover by watching the show, close to his vest.  I’m not getting Goffman vibes from him, so when Campbell says there will be a “slow burn”, I believe there will be a slow burn.  Besides, Mark Goffman is gone, he’s moved on and paying attention to his new show and I’m doing the same with S3. This is Clifton Campbell’s baby and I plan on giving the man the benefit of the doubt   I have no control over the ratings, I don’t have the power to make people watch nor how they feel if they do watch.  I've loved plenty of shows nobody else watched and I've hated shows everybody went crazy over.   The only person whose viewing habits I have control over are mine and mine alone and I'm happy.  I was thrilled to get a S3 -  I never got that opportunity with Bakersfield P.D - and I liked what I saw.  So if things do fall apart, well, as Jesus told Crane:  “It’s a hard knock life".

MissAlmond

• Love 7

You know, if Katrina had been played been Shannyn Sossamon I might have liked her.

I knew Nikki Reed was joining but watching last night I realized I was expecting to see Ashley Green. They are not the same person, apparently. The Betsy Ross stuff was lame, but for me the disconnect was that she sounded too contemporary. But it was her first show, here's hoping. (It will be bad)

One thing about the ratings -- I had no idea they had moved the show to Thursday. If I hadn't glanced at the ptv homepage last night I would have missed the season premiere. Putting it up against Scandal makes me wonder if Fox is fucking up again and/or trying to kill the show.

• Love 4

I want some "I cannot tell a lie" cherry pie!  And a Ben Franklin bobble-head!

I want Montecheddar biscuits.

I have the same reaction as most:

SBR is too much -- they need to dial her back 1000%.

But... MY SHOW IS BACK!!!!!  The fun, the banter, the crazy demon stuff.  I missed it and I love it.

The opening credit of "Katrina" is fine since it's not explicitly her, and sets the show off on the right foot.  

YAY!!!!

From the recap:

I like a sub-zero "Founding Father, please" side-eye as much as the next lady, but they can't be going on for four full beats when the character's supposed to be driving.

This, alas, is a modern trope -- drivers look at their passengers for minutes at a time.  But don't text!!!!

And an entire battle, the Battle of Bunker Hill, gets cleverly slotted into the alternate Hollow-verse version of history

I was sorry disappointed that no one, not even Crane, corrected it "The Battle of Breed's Hill".

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

I thought this episode was good. It felt like the town of Sleepy Hollow had more than 10 people living there unlike last season when sometimes it felt like the whole town could fit in a two bedroom apartment.

I like that this season they are going to show Abbie fulfilling her dream of being an FBI Agent. I had a feeling her partner was going to die this episode as a callback to Corbin’s death but I kind of wished they had the partnership play out for at least a few more episodes because I would’ve liked to see C. Thomas Howell in this role for a bit. I enjoyed Nicole’s scenes & it was good to see her interacting with so many characters. I liked the last scene with Pandora. Nicole has great chemistry in scenes with men & women & I like Shannyn Sossaman, so I hope to see some good interactions between them in future episodes.

I didn’t watch every episode of season 2 but in most of the ones that I did see Ichabod got on my nerves, so my expectations for him when it came to this episode was to begin the process of not making me feel like turning the channel almost every time he spoke. I was kind of bored by most of his flashbacks last season (I did like his flashbacks in the season 2 finale though) & there wasn’t much about the flashbacks in the premiere that stood out, so thank goodness his present day scenes were good. His prisons scenes & his interactions with Abbie & Jenny were good. I will say though that the typical Ichabod selfishness was present during this episode. Only Ichabod after leaving Sleepy Hollow for nine months & then getting locked up after coming back to town, would wait to call Abbie after five days & then expect her to drop everything now that he found some purpose again (fighting demons). In some scenes he was acting like Abbie should put her job as an FBI agent on the backburner so that they could go fight demons. Like shouldn’t he realize by now that the world for Abbie wouldn’t stop just because he left town so that he could find himself. He should know that since demon hunting doesn’t pay the bills, Abbie needs that FBI job to pay hers (& his for that matter until he is gainfully employed). Also, how did Crane finance his European trip?

It was good to see that in one episode the show remembered how useful Jenny could be unlike during most of season 2 (after making her a regular cast member) when the writers suffered from amnesia on that front. I hope her storyline this season is good.

I liked what I saw from Pandora so far & I hope the writer’s make her an interesting villain. Even though the Betsy Ross scene wasn’t that long sometimes I can start to get into a character during a short period of time but it didn’t happen with her, so maybe it will in future episodes.

Edited by Moonsky
  • Love 1

Ichabbie had shippers 4 thousand years ago, I love it lol! And I do so love that their hairstyles match once again!

I honestly don't think there's gonna be a lot of romance between Ichabod and SBR. I don't see them bringing her into present day because she's an actual historical figure. I mean she could, but she couldn't stay here, it would change history too far since the show is at least partially grounded in reality. And since StruggleWitch was shown to be his 'love', this relationship ain't about to amount to shit.

• Love 1