Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: 'Til The Pain Outwears The Shame

Juliette breaks down during an appearance on “Live with Kelly and Michael,” prompting Avery’s concern. But when she continues her pattern of irrational and volatile behavior, she leaves Avery with a struggle of his own. Meanwhile, Rayna is determined to show the world that Highway 65 is not just a vanity project and devises a plan to sign Markus Keen, one of the biggest rock artists around.

Promo:

Stella, I'm right there with you. And I never thought I'd say that. I'm torn because I don't know if she was honest when she talked to Avery at the house or if she changed her mind after dealing with the baby at the party. Either way, that's a really, really, really fucked up thing to do to her husband (and child) who so very easily (too easily?) accepted her reasons for her behavior, FORGAVE HER, and was willing to put it in their past.

I have no idea why the writers decided to go this route, but it was a bad call. Don't know who is responsible, but if they wanted folks to be permanently turned off of the character, they are succeeding. Again, I never thought I'd say that and it pains me to do so, but damn. How much more is Avery (and my heart) supposed to take?

• Love 9

Every time they panned to Deacon's sister I thought she'd quietly slipped into death.  I mean in every single scene.  And in the end.  Yep, she did.

I am starting to find it unbearably annoying that both record labels on the show are run by singers/stars.  Is there any hope that Rayna will go bankrupt because I can't take much more of this.

I'm torn because I don't know if she was honest when she talked to Avery at the house or if she changed her mind after dealing with the baby at the party. Either way, that's a really, really, really fucked up thing to do to her husband (and child) who so very easily (too easily?) accepted her reasons for her behavior, FORGAVE HER, and was willing to put it in their past.

I still think they are going for postpartum depression with this.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

It was obvious Juliette didn't want Avery and the baby on tour, but I still wasn't expecting that. Stone cold is right. Avery, raise your baby and restart your career.

Knew Beverly being nice= Death.

• Love 6

Every time they panned to Deacon's sister I thought she'd quietly slipped into death.  I mean in every single scene.  And in the end.  Yep, she did.

I am starting to find it unbearably annoying that both record labels on the show are run by singers/stars.  Is there any hope that Rayna will go bankrupt because I can't take much more of this.

I still think they are going for postpartum depression with this.

I thought the same thing about Beverly. Sorry that Scarlett had to be there.

Doubt Rayna will go bankrupt since she has Lamar's money and she made quite a bit with her last album.

I get the PPD, but come on. This is pushing it.

• Love 2

It seems to me that Juliette's story arc is mirroring Deacon's arc -- alcohol separating her from the people who love and need her.

That's what I think too. Juliet = Deacon, Avery = Rayna, and we see it implode in real time. This show has run out of ideas. The Deacon/Rayna bit worked because #1) It was new, but #2) we didn't see it in real time. It's incredibly difficult to empathize with someone in the throes of addiction. Deacon is a hot, cuddly charmer because the audience didn't live through his addict abuse of Rayna. Poor Juliet isn't being allowed that luxury.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 8

I have to preface this by saying that Juliette always has been and still is my favorite character.  I am in the camp that believes that they are ultimately going to discover that she is suffering from postpartum depression to the point of being psychotic.  

I think Juliette's  illness coupled with a childhood filled with neglect and even sexual abuse has sent her totally over the edge.  She is so terrified of hurting Avery and the baby that all she can think to do is push them away.  The drunken call to Rayna was a real cry for help.  The tears on Kelly and Michael were real.  She wanted Avery and the baby home more than anything, but the sound of the baby crying during her song just signaled to her that the life she would give the baby on the road would be awful, and her inability to even change a diaper further convinced her of total inability to parent.

The stone cold Juliette is not the real Juliette.  She's clearly self-medicating like crazy to keep up the facade and dull the pain.  People sometimes want to equate postpartum depression with just being a little down.  I am not a medical expert, but when I was child a friend of our family who had recently given birth came to our house in a full-blown psychotic state.  I was quickly ushered by my parents to the backyard until they could get her the medical help she needed, but I have never forgotten how completely delusional she was.

Juliette is going to fall and fall hard, and Hayden is just the actress to pull all of this off.  I've been a fan since she won a Daytime Emmy for her work on Guiding Light as Lizzie Spaulding who battled childhood leukemia.

I am looking forward to seeing if the writers have the skills to make this storyline as powerful as it has the potential to be.

• Love 18

Who knew that a coma would make Beverly a nice person?! My guess is a brain tumor caused a personality transplant. Or it was the hair. Eh, at least she didn't die angry.

So, Luke is the next Jay Z? I call a hookup with the lawyer chick. Feel bad for Will. Hope he takes his songs and goes to Rayna.

Glenn and his wig are back. I missed him. Now he needs to get Avery to produce Layla's record so Juliette's head will explode.

And I deliberately left Jules for last. That was a stone cold, ice blooded move. I hope Avery dumps her and sues for child support. And he needs to stop moping around looking like Jared Leto.

• Love 5

Hoping you're right, TVFAN.

I feel sorry for poor Daphne. And poor Will.

Don't trust Luke's new...whatever she is. Image consultant for the label? Who cares. I was sooo hoping he'd surprise me and keep Will but then I thought about who Luke is as a person. 

• Love 3

I literally had a sick feeling in my stomache after that scene on the plane. Did she really just play Avery and Cadence like that? It was clear that she didn't want them on the tour with her, but I thought that was it. Maybe Juliette really does deserve that Oscar nom, it sure looked like Jeff set up the whole thing.

I liked Layla's song and felt for her when even Bucky wasn't able to stay. Surely they could have found a minion for that? Glen would be a good match for her even if he does belong with Juliette. That ship may have sailed.

Hwy 65 needs a real business person who can stand up to Rayna. No way should they have leveraged all the money from Juliette's buyout on one artist. And is anyone talking with her about the issues between S/G?

Liked the girls' song, wish Deac had been there to hear them together. Wanted to hug Daphne after those comments in the bathroom and the promo. Gonna be a bumpy ride at their house for a while between Bev and the girls.

• Love 2

Poor Will. That was brutal to watch. 

I really hope they are going with PPD or something with Juliette, because I would hate if they were just going with "Juliette is a mess in general and is throwing away her family". They better have a point to this if they are going to be breaking up my beloved Juliette/Avery and their cute baby. 

I knew Scarletts mom was toast. I really hope this does not somehow make her into some kind of saint, at least to the characters. She literally drove Scarlette to a nervous breakdown! That should not be something you just forget.

Layla`s song was probably my favorite of the night.  

Hwy 65 needs a real business person who can stand up to Rayna. No way should they have leveraged all the money from Juliette's buyout on one artist. And is anyone talking with her about the issues between S/G?

Not just that but next time Rayna has an insight as to why her artists leave, maybe best not to blow smoke up her ass.  She does this hard sell on how the label and she are a warm, fuzzy, and supportive family and then once signed she gets distracted and ignores her existing artists.  Then she's all shocked when the artist moves on because its not the artistic utopia she described and decide that maybe their career is better served elsewhere since there are no artistic benefits to offset that they aren't particularly good at anything.

Meanwhile Luke spends the entire episode disingenuously pretending to think through how he can make Will being on his label work so he doesn't feel like a homophobe.

I am nostalgic for the days of the big bad cutthroat record label.

• Love 9

As soon as Beverly smiled at Rayna, I knew she was a goner.  And each scene followed that made it even more obvious.  But the fact that she was nice to Rayna was totally a sign of "Yep, she's on a redemption path, before she kicks it!"  Well, to be fair, the previews make it sound like 

she won't be dead yet, but on life support, and Scarlett has to decide wherever to pull the plug, which will no doubt cause friction between her and Deacon if she does.

Silly me, thinking that Juliette finally showing signs to Avery and Cadence, that she might give the mother thing a try again.  Instead, she completely freaks out and not only abandons them, but gets a new phone number.  In the smallest of defense, Avery probably should have had an actual conversation about going with her on tour instead of just dropping that at the red carpet, but that still isn't anywhere close to excusing what Juliette did.  As much as I root for them, I have to think Avery needs to file for divorce or something.  Maybe that actual threat of losing them for good would be enough.  Or maybe not.  I do think the fall will happen one day, but at this point, I don't what it will be.

First major sign that Scarlett/Caleb is doomed: Caleb considers Scarlett's musical ambitions to be a "dream", and basically think music in general isn't as important as saving lives.  Yep, that shit won't fly with her, once he lets those types of opinions slip.  It's all about waiting it out now, Gunnar!

Of course, Luke would side with that lady, and dump poor Will.  I don't know what in the hell Will is going to do.  Will Rayna be willing to sign him after he betrayed her seasons ago?  Is he just going to hang out with Avery and Gunnar?

Glenn!  Glad he isn't gone, even if sounds like he's being set-up to work with Layla, after she finally wakes up when it comes to Jeff. Speaking of which, he's actually back for a bit and is smug as ever, but I did kind of miss that smirky bastard. Still would have loved it if Avery punched him...

I want to enjoy the Rayna stuff since it's actually about music, but I'm finding a lot of it to be silly and unrealistic for this show.  Of course, she manages to convince some famous rocker to switch genres, after one plane ride.  And I'm sure it will somehow work-out.  Honestly, even though she means well, I really don't think she's running the company that well, and don't blame artists for refusing to sign with her.  In a short span, not only have a lot of her biggest artists left, she doesn't seem to have time for the others.  I get a lot of it is out of her control, but that interpretation isn't unearned, and I don't see the other artists, media, etc. as villains for thinking this.

Glad to see more signs that there are going somewhere with Teddy's imprisonment effecting Daphne.

• Love 2

I think I've decided that this show hates women...or maybe it's just success for the heroes? The only people who ever get to win are the assholes.

Rayna is, hands down, the worst label head ever. And Bucky is just a yes man. I second the nostalgia for the evil label calling the shots and keeping the good artists down.

The stuff with Juliet is just nuts. The aneurysm that changes personality is BS. I felt bad for Layla. And Daphne. Glad Rayna and Deacon haven't broken up yet. That bit is nice.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Abysmal episode. One of the weakest yet of the show. Practically nothing about it worked. I ended up fast-forwarding half the show. The Stella sisters song sucked. Juliette is a flat out bore, an unforgivable bitch and her song sucked even worse. The show never gets tired of playing the pity card for Layla and her song almost put me to sleep. Plus I wish Caleb gets hit by a train.

• Love 3

Remember, at the very start of the series, Juliette several times got new unlisted phones so her mother could not call her. So, this is her routine for keeping relationships away. Get a box of phones and toss each one when the number gets out.

I thought Layla's song and husky voice had a little Joni Mitchell feel to it. Lovely, and she deserves a break.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

Deacon would be a lot sexier if he'd take off that hairshirt he's so addicted to wearing. I've never seen a character so in love with self-flagellation.

Why do all of Juliette's recent songs all sound like the opening chords of "Don't Put Dirt On My Grave"? I thought that was what she was about to sing...

Was that older singer that dumped Rayna an actor or "someone" in the country music industry?

• Love 2

Not a very interesting episode IMO. I hope that the reappearance of Glenn means that Jeff will be gone permanently soon, since they (unfortunately) don't seem to be getting rid of Layla. And I assume that Will will (LOL) be signing with Rayna now. 

Rayna is, hands down, the worst label head ever. And Bucky is just a yes man. 

Seriously, when is she going to get a clue? She keeps making promises, but all she does is continually go after the next person she wants signed.

I used to love Juliette's character, but I am so bored with her stupid storyline. I wish they had just hid Hayden's pregnancy behind couches & suitcases instead of giving her this whole annoying & boring mommy plot.

• Love 4

About Bev & hospital hair. I got sick with a rare illness,that had me paralysed for 4 months,on life support, so could not even get a squeak out. A woman who had a son across from me, decided I would look so much better if she gave me a much shorter hair cut. She was coming towards me with scissors in her hand, just as my husband came thru the door and stopped her! I was never so happy to see him as that very moment. Yikes!

• Love 2

Well, if I'm Avery I'm going all the way up and through that phone. And that's not something I advocate people doing in real life relationships, but in this case - yeah. I'd be looking for a reason to understand what she did and/or a reason to get a lawyer and file for a divorce. There wouldn't be a text, email or picture left unseen on that bad boy.

• Love 2

Yup, I knew as soon as Beverly was being nice instead of guilt tripping the crap out of everyone that she would be a goner. Although to be fair, I know more than one person who had a major health scare/illness who briefly became very nice to everyone before reverting back to their original ways.

What is with the inconsistent way they are writing Gunnar? Last week he was almost crazy with delusion about how Scarlett wanted to get back together with him and this week he was bending over backwards to make sure she didn't get mad about the photoshopped picture and trying to mend fences with her boyfriend.

In the smallest of defense, Avery probably should have had an actual conversation about going with her on tour instead of just dropping that at the red carpet, but that still isn't anywhere close to excusing what Juliette did. 

While I agree that saying that to reporters without ever discussing it with Juliette first was a mistake, at the same time it's not so far fetched for Avery to assume that since he and Juliette had reconciled that they would want to spend more time in the same state. And if we want to talk about who should have had an actual conversation before making a decision, Juliette should have had a conversation with Avery before she ran away again. If she had just told him that having the baby on tour would be distracting for her and that Cadence would be better off with a more stable schedule by staying at home, Avery probably would have agreed and then suggested that they look at her tour schedule to see when she had a few days off so that he could fly out with the baby to spend some down time with her.

I think Juliette was sincere when she apologized to Avery but that she refuses to act like an adult and take responsibility for her relationship with both Avery and Cadence. I totally understand her fears about not knowing how to be a good wife or mother and wanting to maintain her career but expressing those things aren't enough. She needs to show that she cares enough to make an effort. You know how not to be a good wife or mother? Run away when you get scared. Cutting off Avery like that at the end was a dick move. If she doesn't want to be with him, then at least have the balls to tell him that it's over and that you're leaving.

First major sign that Scarlett/Caleb is doomed: Caleb considers Scarlett's musical ambitions to be a "dream", and basically think music in general isn't as important as saving lives.  Yep, that shit won't fly with her, once he lets those types of opinions slip.  It's all about waiting it out now, Gunnar!

As soon as Caleb said that, I was like whoa, have a seat there, jerkwad. Part of me thinks that he said that just to be an ass to Gunnar but most of me thinks he really meant it and that he has no respect for what Scarlett does which is a huge problem. You don't have to like what your partner does for a living, but you definitely shouldn't look down on it or think that you're better than they are.

• Love 8

It's right down Nashville's alley, ElectricBoogaloo. They turn characters into assholes in order to cover up another one's transgressions. Scarlett made out with Gunnar while being together with Doctor Dick, so now they have to turn him into a piece of shit so Scarlett won't need to apologize or face the consequences of her actions.

• Love 9

At least the doctor showed his true colors finally with his jerk remarks about musicians.  But of course only Gunnar heard him so no one will believe him.

That darn Beverly is causing trouble to the end.  Her saying she likes the doctor better than Gunnar will be what Scarlett remembers.  And now her issues are going to mess up The Exes tour.

Juliette is stone cold.  She does not deserve to be anywhere near that poor child.  I wish Avery would head to the tabloids and out her for the rotten person that she is.

Go Rayna for landing the hot artist!  I want to see Highway 65 succeed so she can prove that twit Juliette wrong.

So no follow up about what Daphne heard in the restroom?  I thought she would at least come out upset and tell Rayna what the mean girls were saying.

• Love 3

I seriously don't think I can watch this Juliette mess anymore. I'm out.

I'm now on an ABC "advisory panel" for this show -- which is hysterical because I'm almost done with the series. I can't watch more Juliette/Avery angst.

Also, Connie Briiton seems so disconnected from the Rayna role and has been so for a while.

Unless I read an interesting spoiler, I'm probably done with the show.

First major sign that Scarlett/Caleb is doomed: Caleb considers Scarlett's musical ambitions to be a "dream", and basically think music in general isn't as important as saving lives.  Yep, that shit won't fly with her, once he lets those types of opinions slip.  It's all about waiting it out now, Gunnar!

<SNIP>

Glenn!  Glad he isn't gone, even if sounds like he's being set-up to work with Layla, after she finally wakes up when it comes to Jeff. Speaking of which, he's actually back for a bit and is smug as ever, but I did kind of miss that smirky bastard. Still would have loved it if Avery punched him...

Does Doc know he lives and works in Nashville?  Cause I don't think there is a city more closely tied to its musical identity than that.   Gunnar can use that waiting time to get a 'do because it is not working and it reminds me of Vanilla Ice circa Ice Ice Baby (although not as straight and starched).

I'm glad Glenn is back!  And they've even made me feel a wee bit sorry for Layla - did not think that was possible.  Wonder if the writers will remember Jeff included a clause of in perpetuity in Layla's contract?  Guess it depends on if they can make Jeff the bad guy with lawyers standing in for him. 

Everytime Avery is on screen, I start yelling at my TV, Lucky, wash your hair.

And shave!  Because seriously, that weird blobby maze of facial hair is not a good look nor interesting.  You and Gunnar should make hair appointments together.

Yup, I knew as soon as Beverly was being nice instead of guilt tripping the crap out of everyone that she would be a goner. Although to be fair, I know more than one person who had.

I couldn't decide if she was on the redemption train to death or if she was going to suddenly turn nasty again.  Something about the look and voice of the woman who plays Beverly screams villain to me - the eyes are too sharply focused and there's always an edge to her voice.  Her voice clarity and volume were remarkable given she had a tube down her throat for several weeks,  They shouldn't have wasted the line the Doc gave about it may be hard for her to talk for a while.

Hey Show - Scarlett just spent the night sleeping on the chair in her Mom's room.  If you wake her up, have her leave - presumambly to go home and shower, change her freakin' clothes when she comes back. 

ETA:  Juliette's storyline is beaten to death - please make it stop.  The only thing interesting about it is that HP is doing an amazing job - I totally believed her when she was tearing up while being interviewed and when she was talking with Avery at the house, but I also totally believed that she could leave without notice and get a new phone/number.  I wish they had focused on her being monumentally scared of emotional intimacy and trust plus whether she could be a good mother in light of her own upbringing.

Someone upstream used PPD as an abbreviation for Postpartum Depression - I got confused because in days of Rock Star INXS, the Twoppers used PPD as an abbreviation for Dave Navarro - Pocket Prince of Darkness.  My confusion at least amused me.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 6

Yay Glen!

I miss Emily (that was her name, right? Juliette's old assistant...)

Rayna just needs to hire a few more people to actually be there and do label type things (and stop promising that she will be there for everyone.)  The Ex's have a decent manager and things seem to be getting done for them (aside from their personal issues) so Glen really could be all LayIa needs. Although dreamy Doc is smarter than putting his foot in it in front of Gunner (who is actually pretty successful in his own right already). Irritated that they have to make him an ass just to make Gunner look better though.

I am actually kind of interested in Will's story so far.  

I am also far more interested in this Juliette than the one the show initially introduced and that is all on HP

As many things that are wrong with this show, I still enjoy it. 

• Love 3

Precisely everything you said TVFan so I don't need to repeat it. But I will. Juliette is my fav character with the most interesting (to me) storyline. I'm willing to be patient while she continues to reach rock bottom before finally eventually coming to terms with her issues and agreeing to go through intensive therapy. Also...

I miss Emily (that was her name, right? Juliette's old assistant...)

Me too. When she and former agent (I never remember names) were around they could sometimes help Juliette through her self destructive behaviors. Now she's shut them out too.

I wish they had focused on her being monumentally scared of emotional intimacy and trust plus whether she could be a good mother in light of her own upbringing.

I guess somehow we were supposed to get that from Cadence crying at the album release, Juliette's obvious revulsion at having the two of them with her on tour, and her distress at changing a very messy baby. Unfortunately it didn't really work for me. If they'd have left it there, shown her leaving and getting back on the plane I might have bought it. But showing the old phone, Jeff's comments, and the new phone only lead you to believe that Juliette is just that cold to use her family for the photo op. Doesn't make me think PPD AT ALL.

• Love 6

I guess somehow we were supposed to get that from Cadence crying at the album release, Juliette's obvious revulsion at having the two of them with her on tour, and her distress at changing a very messy baby. Unfortunately it didn't really work for me. If they'd have left it there, shown her leaving and getting back on the plane I might have bought it. But showing the old phone, Jeff's comments, and the new phone only lead you to believe that Juliette is just that cold to use her family for the photo op. Doesn't make me think PPD AT ALL.

THIS. I think my problem with this storyline is that we don't have any direct insight into Juliette's thoughts and motivation. We have nothing but her behavior from which to infer whether she's scared, psychotic, depressed, or just a heartless bitch. She needs a friend or someone with whom to have a conversation that lasts longer than "I SAID get me a refill" so that we can get some insight into her actual mental status.

I will say that, crying jag in the bathroom aside, she's suspiciously put together for someone who's supposedly so deep in the clutches of PPD that she's willing to abandon her baby, twice. I would expect her to be more overly falling apart, like Scarlet when she broke down on tour, especially on a show like this where subtlety is usually non-existent. 

I'm also not sure who can pull her out/redeem her at this point. I would have guessed that the long-term plan was for St. Rayna to swoop in and put her back on her feet, but we already had one such scene that went nowhere. Deacon maybe? She doesn't really have a lot of pals left.

• Love 2

Seriously, when is she going to get a clue? She keeps making promises, but all she does is continually go after the next person she wants signed.

Exactly. And the thing is, it doesn't necessarily mean you're bad at your job if you're just new to it and making mistakes, but she's been making the same mistakes for two season and she continues to do it. She learns absolutely nothing, and that does start to mean you're dumb and bad at your job. What is her vision?? If she wants an indie label where artists can be themselves, do that. She can be the major star that keeps the money flowing until one of the indies hits. If she wants a major label filled with stars, she needs to ditch the lofty vision and play ball with the big boys. We're getting that backhanded, subtle sexism that women are idealistic but lousy at business and strategy because they're too soft, and that just makes me mad. For a show filled with supposedly strong women, they're all pretty weak in the brains and business dept, and are ruled almost entirely (as the stereotype claims) by irrational emotion. Let Rayna be good at her job for heaven's sake! Luke, on the other hand, the strategist and solid businessman, is succeeding.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 10

THIS.

I watch for Lucky "Avery" Spencer - so I am perplexed.  Does she care, does she not care.  It is like we are missing the scene where she falls apart because she cannot even change a baby and flips out.  IF they showed that I would then be okay but as it is she is just an narcassistic bitch who has a gulible stupid husband.

Oh yeah that is riveting.

The thing about Juliette is that despite all of her really nasty parts inside is a little scared girl who only shows glimpses of the person she wants to be and Avery has been the one she let in.  Now it all seems like it was an act.

I am bored to tears with Highway 65 especially when the owner swoops in, makes promises and then has his hand wringing bitch Bucky leap from one failing project to another.

Annoyed ABC...very annoyed

Edited by Slakkie

Rayna seems to have some kind of business ADD. She comes up with ideas and signs artists, but then she gets distracted with her Deacon stuff, her family, signing OTHER artists. Then she totally forgets about the artists she already signed. I understand that she has a lot going on in her personal life, but if she is serious about her business, she needs to really commit to it.

Or just be a figurehead for while, and let other, business minded people run the label while she gets her personal life in some kind of order.  

• Love 4

Rayna seems to have some kind of business ADD. She comes up with ideas and signs artists, but then she gets distracted with her Deacon stuff, her family, signing OTHER artists. Then she totally forgets about the artists she already signed. I understand that she has a lot going on in her personal life, but if she is serious about her business, she needs to really commit to it.

Or just be a figurehead for while, and let other, business minded people run the label while she gets her personal life in some kind of order.

True. But I also think that the struggle to balance the personal and professional could be super interesting...if Rayna were actually struggling to do that. But she's not. She's just bad at her business and her personal life is constantly in one kind of disarray or another. I very much like (but don't trust at all) Rayna and Deacon as a solid couple because statistics will tell you that women with supportive partners who really approach them and the events of their lives together as equals go much farther in business than women without that. Deacon is clearly that guy. He's totally supportive and picks up any home-life slack that Rayna can't shoulder. He's not intimidated by her in the least, and in fact her (theoretical) badass businesswoman attitude turns him on. That's great. I love that. But then she goes to work and SUCKS at her job, so you end up thinking, "Just quit already. What's the point of this? Go home to your hot fella and make out, cook, enjoy your kids. You don't need the pesky problems of this difficult, man's job anyway, especially since you're such a girl that you're too emotional and nurturing to sit at the big table." Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 3

I agree with the posters that have said that enough of the nasty Juliete stuff. If you want us to be sympathetic and believe that this is just depression or fear due to childhood issues, then you need to show more of her breaking down, and less of her just being a stone cold bitch. At this point, I don't even want to see her at all.

Rayna needs to wake up and pay some attention to Laya, and I never thought I'd say that.

I too thought Beverly being nice meant she was going to die.

I never liked Scarlet's boyfriend, but now at least I have a reason. What a tool. Luke is back to being a tool too.

Poor Will. I like that what they are doing to him seems real. I think this would probably happen in real life to an out country singer. Hope he finds someone who will give him a chance. I always have like his music.

Gunner and Avery - I'm in the club that thinks they need a razor. What is going on with Gunner's hair and Avery's sort of beard? Just awful choice, guys. Awful.   

• Love 2

I think I've decided that this show hates women...or maybe it's just success for the heroes? The only people who ever get to win are the assholes.

The show at the very least seems incapable of showing a good mother outside of Rayna and Avery's mom. Scarlett's mom - horrible. Juliette's mom - horrible. Juliette - horrible. Meanwhile the dads are perfect, even Teddy the jailbird was a good parent. 

The show at the very least seems incapable of showing a good mother outside of Rayna and Avery's mom. Scarlett's mom - horrible. Juliette's mom - horrible. Juliette - horrible. Meanwhile the dads are perfect, even Teddy the jailbird was a good parent.

I think Deacon, Rayna, and Luke are probably the best parents. Teddy was awful to Maddie a lot of the time as related to Deacon, her musical aspirations, and his own jealousy, though definitely nowhere near the crazy of the others. And yeah, I like Avery's mom so far too.

Ok Avery just needs to cut his losses and divorce the bitch.

If I was writing this show, I'd have Will meet an openly gay country/pop star who made an independent album that was a modest success (played by Steve Grand who really did that). He wants do produce Will's songs and the two of them write a duet that becomes a Grammy award winning hit. When Luke comes begging Will to come back, Will tells him that he's going to form his own label exclusively for gay and lesbian artists (or those who are openly supportive) and he can go fuck himself.

• Love 5

I really likie this show for the way it changes how I see the characters, although sometimes I feel like I'm getting whiplash. 

-I used to really like Rayna, now I think she is just a huge cliche (women can't run a business) becuase, as others have posted above, she really is doing an awful job of "nurturing her artists." 

-I used to feel dislike Jeff, now I think he is the most interesting, realistic character on the show, and I guess he is going to be the one to get Juliette back on track;

- I disliked Luke originally (especially the way he proposed to Rayna), then liked the way he handled that whole mess with her, liked him in this episode when I thought he was going to stick with Will, and then disliked him when he threw Will to the curb.

- Layla was totally unsympatheic in the beginning (especially that trick she pulled on Juliette, her arrogance, that reality show), then I felt she had a lot of growth, first in how she ended upon good terms with Will and her career change.  Now she is the only character (except possibly Avery, who just seems to be trying to be a good husband and father) for whom I have any sympathy.  I see Glenn becoming her agent, him bringing Emily back as her assistant and Avery producing her album.

- I used to think the "conrad sisters" were talented.  Well. they still are, but I hate listening to them, every song sounds the same.

Although, I still hate Scarlett's hair.  SHe is so goodlooking, but that mess is just awful.  We really don't need her to be the plkaintive little unsophisticated waif anymore.

• Love 2