Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: My Dearest Emile...

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Am I crazy, or do you never cook chicken at 250 degrees?  I've always gone 350, maybe 325 at the lowest.  Where did she even get the idea to cook it at that temperature?

I just threw 250° out there as the lowest oven temperature I could imagine anyone trying to cook at—I didn't actually see the setting. But how the hell do you cook something for an hour at 425° and still have raw meat when you're done? I didn't see rocky hacking drumsticks and thighs off a frozen bird or adding ice cubes to the pan, and the only things I've ever cooked for more than an hour at anything approaching that temperature are whole turkeys and multi-pound beef roasts.

• Love 1

I wouldn't say she is a bitch, but definitely a tease who sent him mixed signals.  

Emile is not attractive to me; he is too "pretty."   I like a guy who looks more like a man.  (Plus, I'm waaayyyy older than him, but even as a young girl, I did not go for the "pretty" like Donnie Osmond was back then.  Too girlie.)    He does seem like he is used to having the girls flock to him, though.

You're right - I was probably too harsh with the "bitch" comment, but I definitely agree that she is a tease. 

I also think that she knows she's pretty and has some charm, and tries to use that when it suits her.

• Love 2

I got annoyed when she was cooking and she couldn't actually tell people what she was making, then she went outside to take a photo of the sunset.  If food was supposed to be ready at 6 and it wasn't done until 8.30 and was still raw at 425F, just how late did she get that chicken into the oven?  When I cook a dish of boneless chicken that is packed tight, it takes at least 45 minutes at 350F.  I could see her dish taking at least an hour and a half given the size and the bones.  Which means that it wasn't in the oven yet at 6 when she was out messing around on deck.

Something like baked chicken should be super easy.  You season it, throw it in a pan and stick it in the oven, then you get the sides done while the chicken is cooking.  I would really doubt her cooking abilities if she can't even do that after cooking school.  How could she even feed that to people without noticing that it's raw?  Because I'm a home cook, I slice into my food after I take it out of the oven to make sure it's cooked how it needs to be.  She was worried about it not cooking, yet she can't check before she feeds it to people?

• Love 2

Where the hell did she (Rocky) go to culinary school?  And didn't she imply she graduated from said school?  Rocky'd better stick to yoga or diving.  Raw chicken is no joke.  Eddie did the right thing by throwing it out.

Edited by beesknees
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

My guess is that she had completely forgotten her worries about it being cooked by the time she took it out of the oven. Hell, she may have forgotten she was supposed to be cooking the crew dinner and stumbled across a mysterious pan of food in the oven by accident when attracted to the shiny oven light.

• Love 12

Yup, Rocky has a serious case of "Oooo shiny!" something distracts her and off she goes.

Also, thinking about it, she could have put those chicken legs in the oven frozen and hoped  they would defrost then cook. Who knows with her.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1

Damn, Rocky is growing on me. Not that I like her, mind you, just that I don't hate her anymore. For me, she's not nearly Sam or Kat or CJ levels of irritating. I don't think she led Emile on, exactly. I think she really did want to have sexy times with him and did everything short of hiring an aerial banner to make that point. Then he got drunk and showed his ass, which turned her off. She's either not smart or skilled enough to handle the situation better, or she's playing for the cameras. I think it's the former, although I also think much of what she does is for the cameras. As someone said in another thread, I believe she really does want to be on Broadway and, for some strange reason, thinks this show is her ticket there.

I thought the crew members were remarkably tolerant about the lateness of the dinner. I felt especially bad for those who had to keep working on an empty stomach. If I'd had to run plates of tasty smelling food up and down stairs, I would have been mega cranky when out of the guests' sight.

I figured charter guests were presented with a menu proposal and changes could be made accordingly on the day of the arrival.

You'd think. If I were paying that much money, as soon I was settled in I'd want to meet with the chef and get the menu set. We saw Ben talking with guests about the menu for a specific meal once or twice, but nothing more formal than that. I guess the guests just fill out their preference sheets and expect the chef to surprise them.

I guess this is more of a rhetorical question than a real one requiring an answer, but can you tell me what Kate did that could be interpreted as racist, if one were so inclined?

Nothing. A poster only speculated that might be the reason for her dislike.

• Love 1

Donnie Osmond or David Cassidy?  Weigh in ...

In the 90s, I was working for a Congressman and one of my coworkers was in a contentious meeting when it was my turn to speak to the people. My coworker introduces me and randomly says, falsely "interesting fact - she was once married to David Cassidy". Wait! What??? It was such a huge and random lie but it broke the tension in the room. When I was asked about my faux marriage that I had just found out about, I just said it was something I didn't like to talk about. After that, I signed all my memos to that coworker "Mrs. Cassidy" and we'd occasionally look at each other and say "I think I love you."

I think Eddie is probably whiny in real life. I don't see the attraction.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Eddie was a dick in this episode. I understand the girlfriend drama was getting to him, but the way he spoke to Emile about "Step it up or pack- I don't give a fuck" is just nothing that an actual, professional boss would ever say to his workers. Maybe "Step it up, or pack," but the cursing was unprofessional and uncalled for. If he has hopes to be a captain one day he's going to have to learn how to handle his personal issues and keep it off the boat. The only baggage on board should be the guest's luggage.

ETA: Look what Captain Lee wrote in his blog about Rocky! 

Oh, and I still want to know what you see on the ceiling that the rest of us don’t.

Bwah!

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 3

Mondrianyone

I suspect that Leon also has trouble taking anything resembling an "order" from a woman.  Just a feeling.

This is also the impression I get. I think Kate is a good judge of character, for the most part...and she had Leon's number from jump. He just radiates douche nozzle.

The difference between Ben and Leon is obvious. Ben loves what he does and comes at it from an artist's perspective. Can he be a diva? Hell yes, but I have yet to meet a good chef who isn't, to some degree. For Leon, cooking is more a chore. Also, Ben has a personality. Leon, uhhh, not so much.

• Love 6

I think the difference between Ben and Leon's cooking styles is this. Ben is willing to adapt his cooking skills and style to meet and accommodate the guests preferences and whims. Leon is not willing to do that or will do it reluctantly. He is used to dictating the menu and the guests are there to eat what is served. I believe he would be happiest having a set menu that is the same for each and every charter, hence all the braises. He is the chef, why isn't he making the effort to go out and speak to the guest and decide on a few dishes ahead of time. He, better than Kate, knows what can come out of his kitchen.

Also their personalities are different. Leon's statement to the guest, which was received by the guest like a command, was basically  "Catch me a fish for lunch." where Ben would more likely say " I hear you're going out, if you catch something and if you want, I'll cook it for you." and then he would have something ready to go if they didn't bring something back.

One is a flexible cook that can adapt to changes and desires, the other is an imperious cook who is set on his own plan of execution and others must conform or he will pout.

• Love 8

I think the difference between Ben and Leon's cooking styles is this. Ben is willing to adapt his cooking skills and style to meet and accommodate the guests preferences and whims. Leon is not willing to do that or will do it reluctantly. He is used to dictating the menu and the guests are there to eat what is served. I believe he would be happiest having a set menu that is the same for each and every charter, hence all the braises. He is the chef, why isn't he making the effort to go out and speak to the guest and decide on a few dishes ahead of time. He, better than Kate, knows what can come out of his kitchen.

Also their personalities are different. Leon's statement to the guest, which was received by the guest like a command, was basically "Catch me a fish for lunch." where Ben would more likely say " I hear you're going out, if you catch something and if you want, I'll cook it for you." and then he would have something ready to go if they didn't bring something back.

One is a flexible cook that can adapt to changes and desires, the other is an imperious cook who is set on his own plan of execution and others must conform or he will pout.

Didn't Ben take hours to get dishes out though?

Didn't Ben take hours to get dishes out though?

People keep mentioning that like we saw it happen dozens of times and I don't think we did. I only remember seeing it once. The dinner was very late, more than two hours, and I'm betting that's why production made a big deal about it. Other than, I don't think we ever saw Ben's services being more than a few minutes late and then not that often.

• Like 1

Ben was exactly the same. Even worse because he made the guests wait for hours for their dinner until he was damn good and ready to serve it, despite the guests asking for a specific dinner time. Let's not forget all of his drama last season. I'm not looking forward to Ben coming back. 

Agreed. If nothing else Leon seems to get the food to the guests in a timely manner. Ben used to not give a rats ass about schedule that not only kept the guests hungry but threw off the stews because they had other duties to perform between dinner and end of night. Ben used to serve what he wanted a good amount of the time and be really far from guest preferences while Leon may do his own thing WHILE still adhering somewhat to what the guests are requesting or has put on their preference sheets. He works with that information not completely disregards it like Ben used to do regularly.

• Love 5

People keep mentioning that like we saw it happen dozens of times and I don't think we did. I only remember seeing it once. The dinner was very late, more than two hours, and I'm betting that's why production made a big deal about it. Other than, I don't think we ever saw Ben's services being more than a few minutes late and then not that often.

They only had but so many charters each season and I remember timing being an issue for Ben on at least 3 different occassions. One was the extremely late dinner but it happened a few times in different ways. Like long wait times between courses and the such not just dinner starting late. I recall thinking to myself during one episode, didn't you just get called out on have timing issues with the last guests only for it to be happening AGAIN? I remember being uber annoyed with him cause I couldn't understand how he thought it was ok to just do his thing and fuck the rest. I found it so weird especially when one time he did his own thing to the dismay of the guests not longer after he gave Kate grief for something she did that may have truly jeopardized everyone's tip. I was like is this guy for real?

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 3

IIRC Ben had issues getting out the food a few times.  And I didn't really like him all that much....but he was far more interesting than Leon and more accommodating to the guests.   Oh, and had a lot more in his culinary repertoire. 

• Love 2

Emile's probably upset that Rocky is "disrespecting" him on television, and he thinks if he keeps pushing she'll cave in and he'll look like a Lothario.

I just think Emile is embarrassed because he strikes me as a guy who usually has young girls (remember his age) throwing themselves at him.

• Love 2

Kate is racist because she's white and blonde, and takes issue with a man of a different race treating her like his servant. Unless Leon does a complete 180 I will always see him as the guy who told Kate how he wanted his sleeping arrangements, and how he wanted her to clean up the shower- as if she were his maid. If the situation were reversed, and Kate told Leon,"I like sleeping with 3 pillows at night thanks." I would have a (huge) problem with that as well. And would no longer like or even tolerate Kate. Moral of the story: you are an employee here. Get your own damn pillows! A little work won't kill you- stop being a pampered princess.

Would Leon have asked Eddie to get him another pillow if he bunked with him? Maybe. In my experience in the workforce men will ask women to to do more for them than they would a man in the same situation. But maybe Leon is just an equal opportunity elitist. (Something he and Kate would have in common!)

Rocky, like Kate, is a blonde Caucasian, and I haven't heard Kate getting along with Rocky.

Neither Ben nor Leon are anything to write home about, but at least Ben seems like he enjoys life occasionally. Leon acts put upon by his job. Not an attractive quality to me. And both Kate and Leon have had snarky THs to each other and said snarky things to each other. Both individuals are completely able and willing to speak their mind.

Eddie is completely needy and a complete drama queen. The story with Eddie is getting juicy though...Nobody has seen the previews for the season?

Note to the casting department- we need more diversity on the show. K thanks!

Edited by Granimal

The way I see it is that I don't think you can label someone a sexist or a racist unless their words and actions are inexplicably pointed to that. Kate may just dislike Leon because he has a poor attitude, Leon may have just expected Kate to get him pillows and clean the shower because she does it for the guests and perhaps he (stupidly) thought she did it for the crew as well. Doesn't Leon cook for the crew? He probably assumed they all do their jobs for the crew in addition to the guests because he does. Leon seems to have a one track, self absorbed mind like that. I haven't seen him give any orders to Rocky, Amy, or Connie. In fact, I think Leon said he likes Rocky because of their mutual hatred for Kate. And similarly Rocky is a blonde Caucasian woman like herself and Kate despises Rocky. I think it's really just the simple fact of 2 people with similar unpleasant personalities mashing together.

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 2
I'm also not looking forward to Ben. He's another diva who spent most of his time throwing tantrums. I still remember him freaking out because a guest dared to want a quesadilla instead of his fancy foam.

But Ben mostly kept his tantrums in the kitchen and seemed to get on well with everyone else. And regardless of him serving his fancy foam, he also deigned to make the quesadillas, unlike Leon who was told the guests wanted filet and said "okay, beef cheeks it is". I don't really have a problem with Leon, but IMO Ben was infinitely more watchable, friendly, and fit in better on a yacht. It's a tradeoff, I guess: Leon is more timely and arguably just as good a chef, but Ben put on a better atmosphere and energy that just gels better.

It does look like Captain Lee isn't a fan of Leon's attitude, either, by the way he looked after hanging around when Leon was telling Kate that he didn't want to do whatever the primaries asked.

• Love 2

But Ben mostly kept his tantrums in the kitchen and seemed to get on well with everyone else. And regardless of him serving his fancy foam, he also deigned to make the quesadillas, unlike Leon who was told the guests wanted filet and said "okay, beef cheeks it is". I don't really have a problem with Leon, but IMO Ben was infinitely more watchable, friendly, and fit in better on a yacht. It's a tradeoff, I guess: Leon is more timely and arguably just as good a chef, but Ben put on a better atmosphere and energy that just gels better.

It does look like Captain Lee isn't a fan of Leon's attitude, either, by the way he looked after hanging around when Leon was telling Kate that he didn't want to do whatever the primaries asked.

Ben only made the quesadillas after the girlfriend tried her meal and didn't like it which everyone including Ben knew was going to be the case when he planned the menu, even Amy who was going to have to serve it thought it was a bad idea. We never heard the guests complain about the lack of filet and they loved his beef cheeks.

Captain Lee also didn't take sides in the Kate/Leon issue just noted it was a problem and they needed to work it out.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Captain Lee also didn't take sides in the Kate/Leon issue just noted it was a problem and they needed to work it out.

True, but it seems like they're setting it up as him being aware of the issues for some purpose further down the road. They've never had him around in the kitchen/crew mess observing interactions of his staff before.

Both chefs have downfalls, but I still think, issues aside, Ben's laid back (and maybe even blase) attitude is a better fit for a charter yacht. It's better than Leon's "must be done my way or else" attitude, for both the guest and the crew IMO.

• Love 2

And to his credit, he did it.  He himself even acknowledged directly that at the end of the day, it's all about what the guests want.  

I don't really have much of a problem with Leon.  It must be extremely annoying to have to work with someone who keeps waiting for you to fail.  And one who you've caught talking shit behind your back.  There's been little to no complaints from the people whose opinion really matters about the quality or service of his food, so Kate needs to shut it.  She's annoying with her constant belittling of his food all the while the guests are usually raving.  For example, while Kate is serving the gazpacho, the guests can be heard saying that they love it and then there's Kate in her talking head bashing Leon for gazpacho being lazy.  At least he keeps his nasty attitude confined to the person who has been just as nasty with him.   Someone mentioned earlier that no one else on the crew seems to have a problem with him other than Kate.  Amy complains, but it's nothing personal with her.  I thought he would have had a fit with flighty Rocky in the kitchen at the same time as him cooking crew dinner (or trying to), but he seemed to take it in stride, and the conversation with Eddie was fine.  I did notice how Eddie commented on Kate's behavior and how she likes to poke at people to get a reaction.  Leon needs to stop reacting to her and her desire to see him fail and she'll back off and find a new target.  And didn't Emile come to his defense before during one of Kate's Leon bash sessions.

I find Kate to be much more condescending and rude.  But, like Leon, at the end of the day, she gets the job done with regards to the guests.  Neither of them are really any better or worse than the other.  Kate really needs to stop looking down her nose at the guests though.  Her line about "not having to buy friends" when she heard that the women were sorority sisters was rude and nasty.  She's always been like that about the guests.  If she thinks she's so above a certain type of guest, she should find other work.  She's trying too hard to be funny and clever this season.  It's not natural.  She's always "on."  Especially in the talking heads.  Also, she's so quick to judge Leon for her faults, but just sits back and watches Rocky and Connie's drunken escapades on the deck.  Isn't Rocky under her jurisdiction?  Or does she only care about finding fault with Leon?

I completely agree.  It doesn't bother me if Leon complains, as long as he keeps the guests happy.  And so far all of the guests seem to be extremely happy with the food.  They have no idea what goes on behind closed doors - All they know is that they're getting what they want when they want it, and they all rave about how good everything is.  So - tip-wise and otherwise - that's ultimately what matters.

I haven't seen Leon refuse to do anything or pick fights with anyone.  He complains, sure, but lots of people complain at work.  As long as the job gets done, he's doing what he's supposed to be doing.  And it certainly seems as though he's doing it well.

And yes, Kate is condescending & rude.  And a big complainer too.   I don't completely dislike her, but her attitude really grates.  Her snarky comments, her tendency to poke the bear, her superiority complex have all really gotten old for me.  She needs to stop judging & poking at Leon because it's completely non-productive.  Her energies would be better spent taking her own duties re guests' requests more seriously.  All of this, "Well, that's what the guests requested" re food can certainly be applied to the tequila that she arbitrarily chose not to get.  "What the guests requested" didn't seem to matter much when it was something that she should have just ordered in the first place rather than having to scramble to find a place that would bring it to the yacht at great expense.  What's the point of guests specifying requests ahead of time if it's just going to be ignored?  I would think they probably learn in Yachting 101 that providing the guests with what they want is a high priority, yet she decided ahead of time to ignore their request.  Not an oversight.  A deliberate refusal to provide something they had specifically requested.

So far Leon has been providing the guests with exactly what they want when they want it, while the tequila people didn't have their tequila until the last night of the charter because Kate messed up.  We constantly hear raves from the guests re Leon's food and no complaints at all, but we did hear lots of complaints from guests re the tequila.  So it's not as though Kate is perfect, and she really needs to lighten up on being so critical and judgmental.

I don't completely love Leon, but I think he's fine - so far!   And I prefer him to Ben.  I never understood Ben's appeal.  He was more interested in his own ego than in providing what the guests wanted and having meals ready on time.

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 1

Yeah, I got that vibe as well the 1st time Leon was on camera with Kate in their shared living quarters.  You know, five blinks after he met her and started placing his order/requirement for 2 pillows on his bed, not one!, requesting Kate squeegee down the shower after taking one.  You know, that kind of stuff ...  JMO but Leon comes off as the kind of guy that thinks women should be subservient or are somehow "beneath" him.

I didn't take it that way at all.  He requested the pillows because he was new & she's in charge of bedding.  And he was only asking her to squeegee the shower after she takes a shower, not as a general housekeeping task.   My roommates & I requested the same thing of each other - that each of us squeegee after our own showers.  That's all it sounded like to me when he asked her to do it, and I thought she was rude & obnoxious when she refused.  It doesn't matter that she cleans up after guests.  Cleaning up after yourself is simple common courtesy when you share living quarters with someone else, and that's all he was talking about.  He wasn't asking her to clean up after him.  I thought he said it very nicely too.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Sure those particular guests didn't have a problem with getting cheeks when they specified filet.  But the next guests might have more discriminating tastes or attitude and have a problem with his substitutions which could affect the tip.

Leon needs to check his ego at the door (not an easy feat for many chefs) and do what he's told to do.  That's what he's paid for. 

So far Leon has been providing the guests with exactly what they want when they want it

No, three times out of five that we've seen he has pulled switcheroos on the food guests requested (or that he ordered them to catch for him), and the fourth time he tried to flat out refuse for bullshit reasons and Kate steamrolled right over all his objections and got him to do his job. Luckily the guests have all turned out to be very happy with the resulting substitutions—it's not in dispute that the food he ends up serving is delicious. But all it would take is one primary guest who's unbending about his/her food choices (or just a disgruntled secondary who's vocal enough to bring the group's mood down, like Tequila Guy) and the crew could be out thousands of dollars in tip money.

• Love 2

hmmmm?? I think ben cooked for more guests and made more complicated dishes. But I didn't care for his attitude toward the guests. For example, he made fun of the people asking about the brand caviar. His arrogant attitude trickled down to the servers.

I think the stories are scripted, but it is nice to pretend the actors are real people. I wish they would show more video on the ocean and islands instead of rock for brains ass.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Poor Emile - can we just fix him now?  

I don't know if I like him, but on the other hand, I did feel badly for him.  He just can't seem to understand that after Rocky jumping into his bunk and spooning with him, and then, Rocky sending him all kinds of signals and overtly flirting with him, she just isn't interested.

He doesn't see that she is a tease, and needs attention from all sides, and that she gets bored quickly.  

He is looking pretty desperate there, and it's unflattering and embarrassing.  

As Rocky said, he is young.  She should have known not to mess with someone young and impressionable.  IMO, she's a bitch who played him.

I'm with you on Rocky. Sure, Emile just needs to accept that she doesn't want him anymore and move on. But I vividly remember Rocky sitting there practically drooling over him on national television, making comments about she wanted him to jump on her in her talking heads and to other people on the boat. Making comments about how he wouldn't just hurry up and put the moves on her. Then when he did, she was like "Yeah, no thanks, I don't want you anymore. You're a loser." Get it together, Rocky. Of course people can change their mind and we don't see all of their interactions and Emile has no game with his random blunt sexual comments, but her change of mind seemed so abrupt and extreme. It particularly annoys me that she then sits there playing the "Huh, I've never even been into him, why does he like me so much, gross" game, when she was actively drooling over him on camera 24 hours earlier. Classic girl who doesn't want something anymore once she gets it.

So I did feel bad for Emile on that front. Also, I can't really stand anything about Rocky, so I'm prone to hating on her, ha.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2015 at 8:43 PM, breezy424 said:

At over $20000 a night (even if these people are paying less because of filming) if a guest wants sliders and cheese brownies, you make it.  And Leon, your service affects yours and everyone's tip.  Leon seems to be a one trick pony with his culinary skills.

He's making me want to try some Beef Cheeks though, lol

On 9/29/2015 at 11:20 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I don't understand how chicken could be raw when we saw timestamps indicating Rocky had it in the oven for over an hour. Even at 250° it should be safely cooked after simmering in pieces for that long, shouldn't it?

She dicked around in the kitchen for so long, I was like, I thought you were cooking, what the hell are you doing... lol.  I think she was waiting on Leon to come to the gally to help her, lol... then she figured out okay, I need to get started, lol.  She's a goof IMO

On 9/30/2015 at 6:20 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

I think rocky belongs on a Disney cruise ship if she could keep her clothes on.

The other one, Connie, is the one who likes to run around nude, lol.. 

• Like 1