Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Not Fade Away

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis: Madison and Travis see different sides of the National Guard's occupation in their neighborhood; the family tries to adapt to the new world.

Here is your episode thread for your discussional enjoyment!

This thread will open at 10:00 pm on Sunday September 20th prior to episode airing.

Prior to that, please head on over to chat away in the pre-air thread here:

S01.E04: Not Fade Away: Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat thread

DO NOT to post any Walking Dead spoilers in here. There is a thread to compare the shows HERE, so any mention or discussion of the events or spoilers of the Walking Dead goes there.

Enjoy the episode, have fun commenting and as always, please be respectful to your fellow commenters!

The ending was the only thing that saved this episode. Maybe Liza being there will protect their people. If they really need her, they will not want to risk alienating her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

Travis is a useless turd. 

The only two I like are Christopher and Liza.

There was action, but I was still bored.  I'm glad only two episodes are left this season.  Don't know if I'll be back next year.

• Love 6

Really Madison? Blaming Liza?

I blame Liza. She ran her mouth to the pretty doctor lady and got Nick locked up. Why did Liza and Travis break up? They are both incredibly trusting and stupidly optimistic. Liza got her head turned by pretty doctor lady and was going around during the whole episode saying "we" in reference to the military.

I also don't get why the military is behaving this way. What do they care if an otherwise healthy teenager is a junkie? They should let these things play out a little more. What do they get out of wantonly murdering the few people that seem to still be around? Why couldn't they just do their thing without killing and kidnapping all of these people? Just take over a hospital, block, or any building and do your thing. There seems to be so much more effort to do it this way.

• Love 10

Normally, I'm not for beating children, but Nick deserved that smack down. I figured he was stealing drugs from somewhere, but stealing the dying guy's morphine drip was just so awful. Of course, I'm not sure Madison knew that.

I'm sure the military are taking the sick and infirm to the hospital, but they don't really care if they get healed. It just gives them more test subjects. Otherwise, why isolate them from their families?

I do like the fact that Madison still gets it.

• Love 23

But Liza left Chris? I could never leave my son in the middle of a crisis. (And he's 30- but family sticks together!) Does she honestly think she'll be back soon? And the Salazars left Ofelia, asking Madison to take care of her? I mean, they didn't even say goodbye?

And was Alicia poking her arm with a hypodermic needle? What?

• Love 3

I wonder if the military are taking people who are sick and injured to a medical facility so if they die the docs can study them? 

I think the neighborhoods were getting overrun and some living people got caught in the crossfire, or tried to resist leaving their homes and got shot.  The military/whoever's in charge wants everyone, sick and not, in contained places to be watched.

• Love 3

This episode was alright but I was bored up to the last 10 minutes. Now I am interested to see what the army is up to. And why they are shooting non-infected people and taking away ill or what they consider imperfect people like Nick. Also who is in the house flashing the light. I hope they answer these questions in the next two episodes or I'm done.

I barely recognized Ofelia in Alicia's clothes. I guess it was part of her strategy to seduce the soldier into getting her medicine for her mom. Not a bad play... though I was hoping she would also manage to get the guy to spill what was really going on. That might have been more useful.

Nick should be taken away for his hair. It looks like it's infectious.

So the head military guy plays golf and acts like a dick to Travis... can it be any more obvious that he's evil?

• Love 11

Why does she want Liza so bad? Not to kill her? I hope? Are they planning on killing Nick?

I think they are seriously understaffed at the hospital since walkers probably bit a lot of the medical staff at hospitals.

I think she was giving herself a tattoo -- since she was puncturing herself on top of a drawing on her arm.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 8

The Sharpie heart on her arm is almost gone, so she's trying to turn it into a scar (in memory of Matt).

Who is in the house flashing the light.

The light Travis saw was gunfire. One can only hope he's finally seen the light about trusting Moyers.

I'm trying to remember where I've seen the actress who plays the doctor.

I know her as the doctor on the terrible remake of The Returned.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 5

Survivors,you are the Native Americans and the National Guard are the Cavalry. They are not here to help you.

Maybe in this world history went a little different. They never had Japanese internment camps during WwIi, not governmental abuses during the Civil Rights Era and Vietnam. That is the only way I can believe Travis and Liza are sooo naive and trusting. I hope Nick has fun.

• Love 4

She was tattooing the drawing her dead boyfriend left in her arm. How would she know how to do this right? Who knows.

I'm trying to remember where I've seen the actress who plays the doctor.

I'm trying, I'm so very trying.... but ugh.  The 'zombie virus' isn't the thing they need to worry about spreading, its the STUPIDITY PLAGUE that they should be terrified of, because its as contagious as fuck!  Cutting open your defense from "them", Madison?  Really!?  Alicia, Alicia!, breaking into a closed home just for some 'nostalgia'.  I'm supposed to 'root' for Nick?  After the thing he did tonight, I was hoping he'd OD!  Totally deserved that gun butt to the face AND the smackdown!!

Travis finally got his eyes opened to just what the hell is going on around him.  I will give credit where its due.  That light shining followed by the gun shots 'clearing' out the place??  THAT was compelling.  Horrific, but a great scene to illustrate just how fucked up shit is now.

Leader dude is a huge douche, needs that driver shoved up his ass and the club head broke off up his rectum.  And Ofelia was only using her kiss-pal to get help for her mom.  She's so done with his ass now that he can't/won't help.

So, it seems like the military - or the ones pounding the pavement have superceded their orders to do what they want - has called for the containment (aka, termination) of every person with a medical problem, even if its just a hangnail.

And Alicia, by now you've heard the rumor that the virus is contagious and/or communicable (especially though blood), so yes, lets "tattoo" the drawing into our arm.  SMART thinking!

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 13

Travis had better pull his head out of his ass now, He knows what happened to whoever was signalling, that gunfire was unmistakable.

I can't be the only one who thought whatever Madison had in that coffee cup was not an alternative drink of tea. It was subtle, but she was slurring her words and unsteady when she told Travis she blamed Liza for Nick being taken in. 

Liza was once again my MVP.

I did not mind the doctor lady, she was the only one of the military occupiers who wasn't sleazy and frightening, though she was clearly holding back information. I can't wait to see that officer in charge swarmed by hangry walkers. I think the quarantine centres are genuine, but when thing go massively sideways again, there will be a bloodbath. 

Fuck Nick for stealing pain meds from a dying man.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 5

She was tattooing the drawing her dead boyfriend left in her arm. How would she know how to do this right? Who knows.

It looked like she broke into Susan's house to find the ink and needle. Apparently, Susan did a little at-home tattooing in her spare time, when she wasn't busy building backyard mazes for fun and profit.

• Love 15

Normally, I'm not for beating children, but Nick deserved that smack down. I figured he was stealing drugs from somewhere, but stealing the dying guy's morphine drip was just so awful. Of course, I'm not sure Madison knew that.

I'm sure the military are taking the sick and infirm to the hospital, but they don't really care if they get healed. It just gives them more test subjects. Otherwise, why isolate them from their families?

I think they are exterminating potential zombies (including an injured old lady and a junkie).

• Love 10

It looked like she broke into Susan's house to find the ink and needle. Apparently, Susan did a little at-home tattooing in her spare time, when she wasn't busy building backyard mazes for fun and profit.

Was that really official tattooing equipment? I thought she was using homemade stuff, like they show in prison movies, lol. She was already in Susan's place feeling sad and just used whatever was there.

Speaking of the boyfriend, I really thought he would pop up again, even if it was as a walker. But no. Talk about underwhelming.

• Love 5

I can't be the only one who thought whatever Madison had in that coffee cup was not an alternative drink of tea. It was subtle, but she was slurring her words and unsteady when she told Travis she blamed Liza for Nick being taken in. 

She was holding what looked like a beer bottle at the end while she was crying.  I'm hoping we don't end up with two addicts. 

• Love 2

Oh yeah Rule #1 in during Zombie Martial Law, grab a weapon when you find it.

I must correct you, although Travis is unaware of it, he is practicing the first rule of any ZA. CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO! That being said. My God I could care less about these dysfunctional people. There is never a Zombie herd when you really need one.

• Love 20

Madison hacked me off in the first five minutes, bitching about Liza being gone all day, NURSING SICK PEOPLE, instead of cleaning her fucking house for her.   WTF else does Maddie even have to do HERSELF all day since they are stuck at home.  Nick is a huge liability to everyone around him, so boo fucking hoo for him getting taken away.  But by all means, blame Liza for trying to get him some damn help, which was all she was doing.  Not to mention she's Maddie's only hope now to find him or help him, even at the cost of leaving HER OWN KID behind.  Ugh.  

I will keep watching to see what the military story is.  It seems like quite a stretch that they've evacuated or killed nearly 17 million people, except for a few small "zones."  Atlanta seems chock full of zombies. 

Did I mention that I hate these people?

• Love 20

Earlier when she and Travis had their car tryst, he was drinking out of a liquor bottle, so I guess the secret bar is in the garage.

• Love 2

Anyone else have deja vu from that Alicia/Nick bathroom scene?  Only thing missing there was a hospital bed and a bio readings machine.  *experiences shivers of revulsion in remembrance of that e1 scene*

And assuming they can break A/N up, if Chris is 'destined' to be with Alicia, then its obvious that Nick & Ofelia will be a "thing" in the future, too.  But to be honest, at this point, I'm rooting for Chris/Ofelia.

Didn't really like that "horny teenagers in the backseat of the car" 'makeup sex' scene.  Just seemed skeevy considering everything around them.

• Love 6

I will keep watching to see what the military story is.  It seems like quite a stretch that they've evacuated or killed nearly 17 million people, except for a few small "zones."  Atlanta seems chock full of zombies. 

I agree. Why on earth would the military pick that particular LA suburb? It isn't like it has any important value or is located away from other populated areas. On TWD, it made sense that when we saw the military overrun protecting the CDC. LA is full of medical research facilities and other government offices that would be much easier to protect and it would make more sense to protect. I mean, how will the military be resupplied with food, weapons, etc, way out in the suburbs? Where is its back up? 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

Nick's theft of the morphine was horrible. No wonder he was so laid back swimming in the pool earlier in the show.

This episode was good at moving the story along.

It seems that the military is trying to contain the virus by fencing off their neighborhood. They are lucky. Anyone who gets sick gets transferred to the hospital. If they die then they could be examined to see how they turn etc.

Madison cutting a hole in the fence could come back to ite them!.

Travis is the most delusional social worker in the ZA. I can't believe he is so oblivious to the situation. The entire city looks deserted & he isn't asking more questions.

It's surprising that there was little discussion among the characters about missing friends or family.

• Love 2