Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

benteen, you've made me curious about Rodgers, and I've done some hard research (i.e. a Google search) on this issue. 

According to two of his ex-receivers, Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, Rodgers reads his own press clippings and believes he's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Even if that's true, Drivers and Jennings said Rodgers is always willing to place blame on other teammates when things go wrong but rarely takes that responsibility upon himself.

--I haven't many post-game interviews with Rodgers, so I don't know for sure what he says when the team loses. Besides R-E-L-A-X, of course. 

According to current teammates, Aaron has a strange sense of humor, and not everyone gets his jokes. But he's well-liked in the locker room, and players say that his calm demeanor keeps them from panicking, even when the season isn't going well.

Yup, there was this period 2 years ago when Driver and Jennings -- whose sister attacked Rodgers on Twitter during the game for not getting him the ball -- left the team and started bashing Rodgers.

Which promted a response from Charles Woodson.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9581411/charles-woodson-backs-aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-wr-barbs

"Aaron's job is a tough job. You've got a stud wide receiver in Greg Jennings -- and make no mistake, Greg is a great wide receiver -- but you have to keep him happy. You have Donald Driver, you have to keep him happy. You have Jermichael Finley, you have to keep him happy. You have running backs on the team, and you're trying to find where they can get carries and keep them happy. You have an offensive line, they don't just want to pass set all the time; they want to run downhill and run block, and you have to keep them happy. You have to keep James Jones, who wants to be on the field, you have to keep him happy. And we haven't even talked about a Jordy Nelson, or a young Randall Cobb. And who does all that fall on? It falls on the quarterback."

Look, I'm not saying Rodgers is beloved but he's done well without Jennings (who's disappeared after leaving GB and Driver, who was like the heart of the Packers.

I think there's a famous quote about people who've played with Peyton Manning, and I'm paraphrasing here, that they can't stand the guy because he's so anal about everything but they'd rather have him than somebody else lead them on the field.

Edited to add: When Donald Driver was on Dancing with the Stars, Rodgers actually traveled to the studio to support him (with Clay Matthews).

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

Yes, NFL players have said time and again that retiring is one of the hardest things to do, especially when you still want to play and your mind tells you that you can play. Even if your body is screaming the exact opposite.

I think Peyton Manning's body might be telling him it's time to retire, but he certainly isn't ready to leave the game yet. I don't think the NFL is ready for its golden boy/endorsement baby to retire either. I know I'll be sad when Peyton finally does retire.

Speaking of Peyton being the NFL's golden boy, I wonder why Tom Brady (the other golden boy) doesn't do more endorsements. Perhaps he doesn't like being in that kind of spotlight? Belichick told him not to? He doesn't have time?

As mentioned, Brady does ads as well, just different types.

They attract different demographics based on a whole lot of factors. Brady attracts more the high end products. He works for Movado, Under Armour and Ugg, one article states he makes $7 million a year. Under Armour is pretty mainstream and thanks to Oprah I think we all know Uggs, but it's more a high end product

Manning fits more with the TV spots we all know and love. Part of that is his image and part of it is him doing the spots for so long that he fits with that type of thing, and he does it so well. He makes $12 million a year in ads, per recent article. More than Brady, but not as big a difference as you'd think based on the TV exposure.

NFL players in general make less than many other sports in advertising, again for a variety of reasons. Which seems crazy when you consider how much more popular the NFL is than all other sports. The fact it's a team sport rather not than individual, you can't see the players faces when playing so they are less recognizable and they can't advertise for items while on the field all play a role.

Most of us hate the NFLs crazy strict uniform rules, but this is one reason why they have those rules in place. If they did not, the players would look like NASCAR drivers out there with emblems all over their uniforms.

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

Ryan Tannehill got asked about Miko Grimes twitter rant.   He basically said "Yeah see I shouldn't have to answer these kinds of questions."   And he's right.    It's not football related but he has to spend time dealing with it.    Brent Grimes was also asked and he said it's her opinion ask her.   Which is quite right.   He is not his wife's guardian.    But again, neither one of them should be dealing with it and Miko Grimes should care about her husband enough not to put him in this spot.

Brent Grimes can't "control" what his wife says or does, nor should he try.  However, he should have a talk with her and suggest that she calm down to keep from further making an ass of herself, and embarrassing the both of them.

• Love 5

NFL players in general make less than many other sports in advertising, again for a variety of reasons. Which seems crazy when you consider how much more popular the NFL is than all other sports. The fact it's a team sport rather not than individual, you can't see the players faces when playing so they are less recognizable and they can't advertise for items while on the field all play a role.

I can't remember the last time I saw an NFL player in a national ad who wasn't a quarterback. I'm sure they exist, but nothing springs to mind. Which is odd considering that one of the most popular and successful ads was

• Love 3

I can't remember the last time I saw an NFL player in a national ad who wasn't a quarterback. I'm sure they exist, but nothing springs to mind. Which is odd considering that one of the most popular and successful ads was

J.J. Watt chopping wood:

• Love 2

But again, neither one of them should be dealing with it and Miko Grimes should care about her husband enough not to put him in this spot.

With how gross and stupid her tweets are, I doubt she cares about anyone other than herself.

• Love 2

Didn't Clay Matthews do an ad or two a few years ago?

Gronk is in the ad that has a bunch of pro athletes playing...something...on a snowy field. Pretty sure Carli Lloyd was in it too, though I can't remember what other pro athletes were there.

Didn't Clay Matthews do an ad or two a few years ago?

Gronk is in the ad that has a bunch of pro athletes playing...something...on a snowy field. Pretty sure Carli Lloyd was in it too, though I can't remember what other pro athletes were there.

I love that snow ad.  I don't recognize 99% of them but I know Suh is in it.

JJ Watt is in new Papa John's ads w/ Peyton and Joe Montana

I love that snow ad.  I don't recognize 99% of them but I know Suh is in it.

As it turns out, apparently a bunch of NFL players I didn't recognize are in it! Nike's youtube channel lists the athletes as "Rob Gronkowski, Ndamukong Suh, LeSean McCoy, Luke Kuechly, Odell Beckham Jr., Ben Roethlisberger, Paul George, Paula Findlay, Antonio Brown, Marlen Esparza, Eric Weddle, Lauren Fisher, Marcus Mariota, Sydney Leroux, Le’Veon Bell, Draymond Green, Eugenie Bouchard, Steven Stamkos, Elena Delle Donne, A. J. Green, Carli Lloyd." Now I feel bad--I only knew Gronk, Roethlisberger, Leroux, and Lloyd.

Can't believe I forgot Gronk also has the twerking jetblue ad. God I love him, but he is SUCH a meathead.

• Love 2

Cam Newton Names Son Chosen

NFL star QB Cameron Newton and his longtime girlfriend Kia Proctor have named their new baby “Chosen Sebastian Newton” (via Charlotte Observer).

The baby boy (9 pounds, 6 ounces at birth and 20 inches long) was born on Christmas Eve.

I just can't anymore with these celebrities giving their children outrageous names. 

• Love 4

I like cam but that is an awful name.

And call me old fashioned but it bugs me when they don't marry the mom's of the kids, especially when it's a "long time girlfriend". Accidents happen, I am not saying it's a rule you have to marry someone you have a kid with, but this seems to be a long term relationship and they just never got married.

Again though, that probably just makes me old and out of date. I know he is not the only one in the NFL or any sport like that. Adrian Peterson it seems had a bunch of kids by a bunch of women as we found out in his abuse allegations

• Love 2

I like cam but that is an awful name.

And call me old fashioned but it bugs me when they don't marry the mom's of the kids, especially when it's a "long time girlfriend". Accidents happen, I am not saying it's a rule you have to marry someone you have a kid with, but this seems to be a long term relationship and they just never got married.

Again though, that probably just makes me old and out of date. I know he is not the only one in the NFL or any sport like that. Adrian Peterson it seems had a bunch of kids by a bunch of women as we found out in his abuse allegations

I'll be old and out of date with you and say that I agree. As a female I'm not having any mans baby unless he puts a ring on it. Live together forever? Sure, but once you start talking babies I'm going to need more of a commitment.

I like Cam too and think the name is ridiculous. Sebastian is good, but Chosen (as in The Chosen (#)1) Meh.

• Love 4

I don't think opting not to marry automatically indicates a lack of commitment (that may be it, of course, but there are also several fundamental and completely unrelated reasons a couple might choose not to marry, so without knowing anything about them, my mind doesn't jump there). 

Naming one's child "Chosen," however ... I have no problem judging that choice. 

• Love 3

Chosen...sigh. Sadly I have seen much worse. Cloudy, Lil' hood, Lovely, Broccoli, Kale, Amerika (mom didn't know how to spell), but the cake is Zzyzx, named after a town in Cali in the middle of nowhere where the kid was likely conceived. Poor kids have to live with their parents' poor choices.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

I don't know a thing about Cam Newton and his gf, but it could be very well that she doesn't want to get married either. I don't necessarily think that marriage is the be-all and end-all anyway. People should define their relationship(s) on their own terms.

While "Chosen" is a terrible name for a pet, let alone a human, at least they didn't name the kid Fig.

I'll show myself out.

• Love 8

When I was a teenager, I worked at a daycare center and met three little girls named Star and Wonder Bright and Snow White. I kid you not lol. I thought they were pranking me, but the girls were 4-6 in ages so... I met their parents and it all became clear lol. Not being judgmental just stating fact, their parents were hippies.  Cam is not a hippie afaik. He just has a huge ego (I'm assuming by the baby's name), but most not all athletes are. I just can't believe the girlfriend would agree with the name. 

Naming one's child "Chosen," however ... I have no problem judging that choice. 

Ba dum bump!

• Love 1

If they have a girl I guess they'll name her "Special."  

No kidding.  I could see them doing that.

Or they could be funny and go with Fig

***Ganesh beat me to it.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1

I don't know a thing about Cam Newton and his gf, but it could be very well that she doesn't want to get married either. I don't necessarily think that marriage is the be-all and end-all anyway. People should define their relationship(s) on their own terms.

While "Chosen" is a terrible name for a pet, let alone a human, at least they didn't name the kid Fig.

I'll show myself out.

Oh please, that'd be like someone with the last name West naming their kid North. Wait a minute.....

• Love 4

Cam's long term girlfriend is an ex-stripper who already has a kid. I'm sure she's happy with her 18 year payday. If Cam was going to marry her, he would have done it before the kid was born, or at the very least gotten engaged.

• Love 1

I'm sure she's happy with her 18 year payday.

And I thought I could be cynical......Let them be how they want to be, maybe they marry, maybe they don't, maybe they stay together, maybe they don't.  I don't think one has to do with the other.

• Love 7

I get queasy when folks start using the stripper occupation to preface what they will say about Cam/GF committment to each other; plenty of folks with " prestigious" backgrounds have far shittier marriage/commitment history.

Personally I would have gone with " Isaac". ; )

Or maybe " Isaac's Apple" .

I better stop now.

• Love 7

Bret Favre didn't marry his high school sweetheart until something like 1996.   Just for the record, he entered the league after college in 1992.   So yeah, he was pretty far along before he put a ring on it.   

As long as they are consenting adults, their domestic arrangements are their business.   

That said, I am going to snark on that baby name FOREVER.

• Love 8

Tom Brady also now is a spokesperson for Tag Heure, which is sort of like a "sportier " Swiss Rolex type of luxury watch.

Once Brady retires, the mind reels as to which products he and Giselle can jointly endorse/promote as a couple . Now we are really talking big bucks.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Not sure why he and Giselle couldn't endorse products now. He has a 6 month or so offseason. Don't care really, though.

I know my comments about not marrying are generational. So be it. Its one societal trend I just can't get behind.

And lots of celebs have weird baby names. Using CHosen though goes beyond just having a weird name. It is arrogance on top of that. It's like Lebron James, since his nickname is "King James", which he has at least earned, his son's nickname is "Prince". He is 11. Supposedly he is one of the best 11 year old basketball players in the country, but really, so what? It's not his given name, but still.......Prince, Chosen? What kind of message does that send to a kid and their peers?

I get queasy when folks start using the stripper occupation to preface what they will say about Cam/GF committment to each other; plenty of folks with " prestigious" backgrounds have far shittier marriage/commitment history.

Personally I would have gone with " Isaac". ; )

Or maybe " Isaac's Apple" .

I better stop now.

Yes, my comments about their marriage situation have nothing to do with her being a stripper, his race, him being an NFL player or anything else specifically about his situation. As I said, its a societal trend in the millenials and younger, in many democraphics.

• Love 2

I dont know if this just means im totally uncultured, not hip, whatever you want to call it, but I had never heard of Gisele before she married Tom Brady. It surprises me everytime its said she's more famous than him (internationally) and makes more money. I'm like really?

I'm just glad it looks like Cam is actually taking care of his son. Not that he should get a pat on the back for doing what he's supposed to do, but its good he's doing the right thing. As far as marriage goes...meh. In this day and age marriage its not the end all be all...especially when there's a 50% chance you'll end up in divorce. And when it comes to athletes or anyone making millions, im sure you have to be extra careful. Yes thats a very cynical, pessimistic way to look at marriage, but its also practical, IMO.

• Love 3

I dont know if this just means im totally uncultured, not hip, whatever you want to call it, but I had never heard of Gisele before she married Tom Brady. It surprises me everytime its said she's more famous than him (internationally) and makes more money. I'm like really?

Gisele's been the world's highest paid model since 2002 and she dated Leonardo DiCaprio on and off for nearly five years in the 2000s. I think she's the only girlfriend Leo has ever taken to the actual Oscar ceremony and posed with on the red carpet, and the celebrity magazines/shows used to speculate about them settling down (hilarious in hindsight). No matter how much the NFL tries to push into Europe, it's an overwhelmingly American phenomenon and not global like the fashion industry. I visit a couple of forums with a big number of international posters and to them Brady is Gisele's husband who looks nice next to her at Met Galas and plays one of those American sports no one else cares about.

I think it's probably good for the overall ego of a superstar athlete to have moments where he/she isn't the biggest deal in the room, for a change. Whenever I see that Brady doesn't have the highest salary or most endorsements of any NFL guy, I wonder how much of that is because his wife makes more money than him.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

To be fair Brady supposedly took less to keep receivers like Welker. Then Kraft didn't follow through and Welker left. Of course that comes from my friend who's a huge Tom and patriots fan, so it could be bs. He'd still make less than his wife, but he did leave money on the table.

• Love 1

Tom is doing fewer endorsements so that IF he and Gisele ever divorce, he can ask for alimony as the economically dependent spouse.    

Coughlin deserves to retire, not be fired.   He's going in the Hall someday.   

God, we are going to be hearing from Rex for the next week aren't we?    The Bills still faded down the stretch, so big deal he beat the Jets twice.   

I turned on the Pats game and there were 4 flags on 2 plays. Ten minutes elapsed while they figured everything out and talked to the coaches. I remembered I had more interesting things to do at that point. Like take out the garbage.

Are they going to play actual football in the playoffs? 

• Love 1

Brady was also in the first run of ads for the Dodge Dart a couple of years ago.

That Pats game today was horrible for all concerned... the Pats (and us, their fans) for obvious reasons, and for Dolphins fans because what if the team decides those are their lucky uniforms?

• Love 3

Happy birthday Eli! That fluky pick six is most likely what turned the game around and gave Big Blue the loss.

If Tom is allowed to gracefully retire, who are John and Steve going to get that's better? I see some rebuilding years in NY's future.

Well. The Seahawks don't give a shit that Arizona is trying for the one seed.

Edited by mojoween