Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I had a hard time with this one. I agree that it is enough points to make a meaningless score at the end let the Colts cover. But I’m going with blow out. The Cowboys have a rich history recently of running up the score. That way when it comes to pro bowl voting and other self promotion, they have gaudy stats. 

For example, week 17 last year the Eagles rested their started since they were locked into their playoff seed. The Cowboys took the opportunity to score 50 points for absolutely no reason. 

Well you called it, lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

One of the worst quarters of football I've ever seen from the colts. Or any team. 

Truly a horror show for the Colts. Ryan is just not good anymore, and the Cowboys defense has a great pass rush and forces a lot of TO’s. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Truly a horror show for the Colts. Ryan is just not good anymore, and the Cowboys defense has a great pass rush and forces a lot of TO’s. 

That's the thing though.....it wasn't primarily the pass rush.  Just bad throws and decisions. 

• Love 3

One of the turnovers, Hubby (who does not know what is going with the Colts' this season) said, that was a terrible design for a play.   I said, Of course it was, the head coach was an announcer only a few weeks ago.

Cris and Mike trying to make the Saturday hire seem like a good idea was painful during this game.   They kept going on and on about how he talks to the players and really understands them.   yeah, okay, they don't need a friend, they need an HC who knows what the hell he is doing.

Then Jason fricking Garrett holding forth to Tony Dungy, yes Tony Dungy, that coaches should be hired based on merit not who they know.   Like, have a TINY amount of self-awareness there Jason.

But in the end, I am happy.   #TrueDak.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

One of the turnovers, Hubby (who does not know what is going with the Colts' this season) said, that was a terrible design for a play.   I said, Of course it was, the head coach was an announcer only a few weeks ago.

Cris and Mike trying to make the Saturday hire seem like a good idea was painful during this game.   They kept going on and on about how he talks to the players and really understands them.   yeah, okay, they don't need a friend, they need an HC who knows what the hell he is doing.

Then Jason fricking Garrett holding forth to Tony Dungy, yes Tony Dungy, that coaches should be hired based on merit not who they know.   Like, have a TINY amount of self-awareness there Jason.

But in the end, I am happy.   #TrueDak.

The play calling and design has been bad well before Saturday came along. And you have a very inexperienced person calling plays literally no experience. 

But hiring Saturday made no sense even as an interim coach. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, twoods said:

In all honestly, they were kind of forced to run up the score because of all the turnovers. 

While my expectation of a blowout due to the Cowboys never missing out on an opportunity to run up the score did come true, I agree that this one is on the Colts.

Looking at the box score, the Cowboys only passed for 165 yards and ran for 220.  That is NOT the way a team should end up with 54 points. You have to try really hard to let a team that only has 385 yards of total offense to score 54 points on you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thank god their will be no Jimmy G play-off meltdown this year.  I think  Brock Purdy will be an effective replacement.  He kind of reminds me of a Jeff Garcia type player-  not the most talented, but utilizes his skills to be successful.  Also, Purdy's nickname "Mr. Irrelevant" is kind of catchy.   🏈

• Love 1

I actually liked how Brock Purdy played based on what I saw of the game. They weren’t playing a dumbed down offense, they were asking him to make real throws. 

But, assuming that they’d like to get more quality in the QB room this season, whether starter or backup, who’s the best retired QB that Kyle Shanahan could coax out of retirement to make a playoff run? Just as a thought experiment. 

I kind of think it’s Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

• Love 2

Interesting. I thought that Fitzpatrick was happily retired, but he might be available for a situation where he's likely going to the playoffs, and equally likely to actually play over the guys currently on the team.

The rest of the available QBs are a real who's who of "you're not winning anything if this guy is running your offense."

I wonder if Mayfield ends up there. It would seem like Baker is going to be toxic right now, but desperate times call for desperate measures...

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
Just now, JTMacc99 said:

I wonder if Mayfield ends up there. It would seem like Baker is going to be toxic right now, but desperate times call for desperate measures...

That was my first thought when I saw he was cut.

For awhile I was thinking maybe Mayfield just needs to be on the right team to be good.  But at this point I just don't know.

• Love 3

I don't expect much out of Purdy. I think fans really underestimate the amount of preparation that NFL defenses do for QBs. I've seen this movie so many times: Backup QB who's hardly played comes in and does well, fans immediately crown him the best QB on the roster, and then after a few games when defenses have tape, the backup QB crashes and burns and shows why he was the backup to begin with.

Kinda the same thing with interim coach changes. Basically the safest bet in the NFL is that a team that has just changed coaches mid-season will win the first game under the new coach, for whatever reason. But 99% of the time the team goes right back to losing games (the Raiders last season under Bisaccia was a rare exception). There's just not that much a new coach can realistically do when coming in mid-season: the roster is set, the offensive and defensive systems are installed.

• Like 3
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I was hoping he would do well in Carolina if only to say fuck you Cleveland.

I was too, but I knew it would be a struggle because CAR has no offensive line and Baker is not much of a scrambler. 

• Love 2

I think the Niners may go after Mayfield, I don’t expect Brock Purdy to do very well and I think the Niners will need a more experienced QB in order for a potential playoff run, and I think Mayfield could have success with them, the Niners are loaded with talent and I think Mayfield could be a lot better under the right circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Because I am INCREDIBLY easily amused, and we already have a Joe Cool, people calling Joe Burrow “Joe Brr” makes me giggle like a loon.

image.thumb.png.2b37f534a124172ad7bffd2a44d32a3c.png

There are quite a few choices for a Joe Brrr tee should anybody want one. 

I think it was pretty easy to see that the Bengals were going to play a good game against the Chiefs yesterday. They match up well with Kansas City, and the Bengals seem to be getting their act together at this point in the season.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think the Niners may go after Mayfield, I don’t expect Brock Purdy to do very well and I think the Niners will need a more experienced QB in order for a potential playoff run, and I think Mayfield could have success with them, the Niners are loaded with talent and I think Mayfield could be a lot better under the right circumstances.

There's not much speculation out here about Mayfield.  49ers just signed Josh Johnson from the Broncos - he's a multiyear veteran QB who was on the team and knows the system.  But that was as Purdy's backup.

I think Purdy has played more regular season football than Trey Lance.

But we all know:  Defence wins championships!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

There's not much speculation out here about Mayfield.  49ers just signed Josh Johnson from the Broncos - he's a multiyear veteran QB who was on the team and knows the system.  But that was as Purdy's backup.

I think Purdy has played more regular season football than Trey Lance.

But we all know:  Defence wins championships!

To win the Super Bowl you have to have a competent QB, and I’m not sure if Purdy or Josh Johnson are. The Niners have a team that is capable of winning the Super Bowl, but I don’t think Purdy or Johnson could get them there. I think signing Mayfield would be smart. We’ll know soon enough about Purdy as the Niners play against some solid teams coming up. 

• Love 2

Well, the NFL Flex news didn’t take as long as it did last week!

To be brief, Pats/Raiders out of SNF for Week 15 (12/18) in favor of Giants/Commanders.

Three games moved up a day to Saturday (12/17), as planned earlier

Colts/Vikings @ 1:00

Ravens/Browns @ 4:30

Dolphins/Bills @ 8:15

At times Eastern & all games are on NFL Network

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I walked into the room just as that happened, and it was so fucking ridiculous it actually sapped me of any energy to yell at the TV; I just turned and silently walked back out.  I hate everything about that guy.

• Fire 2
  • LOL 5
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

Well, the NFL Flex news didn’t take as long as it did last week!

To be brief, Pats/Raiders out of SNF for Week 15 (12/18) in favor of Giants/Commanders.

Three games moved up a day to Saturday (12/17), as planned earlier

Colts/Vikings @ 1:00

Ravens/Browns @ 4:30

Dolphins/Bills @ 8:15

At times Eastern & all games are on NFL Network

December 17 will be a great football day - 6 college bowl games as well! And I’m glad to see Commanders/Giants replace Pats/Raiders as the Sunday night game.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Why is Colts/Vikings suddenly worth national exposure?   Sure the Vikings are relevant  but the Colts sure as hell are not.   Couldn't they make the Vikings next game a highlight?

I don’t know what their exact reasoning for picking those games are - the Browns aren’t in the playoff picture either but their game got moved to Saturday as well against the Ravens. I wish Titans/Chargers and Bengals/Bucs weren’t on at the same time that week, those are 2 good games.

I don’t know if they can move games around the next week since most games are on Saturday, Christmas Eve, while there are 3 games on Sunday, Christmas Day, plus the usual Thursday and Monday night games.

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

image.thumb.png.2b37f534a124172ad7bffd2a44d32a3c.png

There are quite a few choices for a Joe Brrr tee should anybody want one. 

I think it was pretty easy to see that the Bengals were going to play a good game against the Chiefs yesterday. They match up well with Kansas City, and the Bengals seem to be getting their act together at this point in the season.

I like Burrow more than Josh Allen and definitely Pat Mahomes in terms of personality.  I cant explain why but I just do.  

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

I like Burrow more than Josh Allen and definitely Pat Mahomes in terms of personality.  I cant explain why but I just do.  

I'll admire him even more if he wins this Sunday.  Rather big if TBH.

Burrow's great.  I don't know if my respect for him is greater than Mahomes and/or Allen, and that has nothing to do with the fact that he's the face of a rival team of mine.  You can dislike or hate the team but love and/or respect the player(s).

One reason why I like Joe Burrow is the way he conducts himself.  Sure he can come off as bold/boastful, especially with the wardrobe.  Still laughing at the post game strut back to the locker room like a civilian walking from the kitchen to the living room and whatever.

His pressers show a man you'd think has been in the league for at least half a decade.  Composed, no excuses, and when it doesn't work out on the field or get pummeled, he gets up, moves on, & understands the business.

Finally, he mentioned "December football" and the importance of winning.  The best win in December (i.e. Patriots Dynasty, the Steelers, Packers, and Bucs when they were SB winners as 6th seeds).  Of course the best don't have winless streaks against division opponents from the same state, which actually may result fixing that in a huge way before the world ends.

Big game one week from Sunday, barring injury.  And that's why I wasn't thrilled when some of the games were scheduled so damn late in the year (three games in a row that would've been great to get sooner before something happened)

• Love 3

I just read an article about which team could sign Mayfield. Teams were San Francisco, Houston, Vikings (in case Cousins is injured), and Rams. 

But the Colts could use another quarterback.

And what about going back to Cleveland if Watson tanks?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Bucs look like shit against the Saints once again, for some reason the Saints cause them a massive amount of problems. 

Except when I pick against Tampa

• LOL 1
57 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I just read an article about which team could sign Mayfield. Teams were San Francisco, Houston, Vikings (in case Cousins is injured), and Rams. 

But the Colts could use another quarterback.

And what about going back to Cleveland if Watson tanks?

I know they've made surprising moves this year but they will not sign Mayfield. 

I'm not a Cowboys fan, but one of the things that would be livid is if Tampa ends up defeating Dallas by any means at Raymond James Stadium.  While people would laugh at the 1995 NFL Champions, I'd be pissed given the fact that it's possible a team with twice as many wins would have to travel to Tampa.

Of course, TB12 is undefeated against them Cowboys, and the 2021 NFC East Champions were nearly shutout at home in Week One.

The reason why I'd be mad is a Dallas loss to Tampa in the postseason may result in a reactionary rule change where people with a better record get to host a playoff game.  If that happens, so be it.  However, on a related note, I'd need to see the entire NFC East make the playoffs, which might force a different, and long overdue change.  To be more specific, 8-team divisions.  That is four 8-team divisions instead of eight 4-team divisions

• Love 2

Goddammit, Saints!  I can actually root for you with Andy Dalton rather than the rapist as QB, and you're going to hand this game over to Tom Brady?!

Edited by Bastet
  • Sad 3
  • Love 3

Wow what a drive by Brady, and the Bucs win it 17-16!! Amazing job by Brady to lead them to a win, and the Bucs are now in charge of the NFC South, although they have 2 hard games the next 2 weeks against the Niners and Bengals. The Saints played them well but collapsed at the end. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Goddammit, Saints!  I can actually root for you with Andy Dalton rather than the rapist as QB, and you're going to hand this game over to Tom Brady?!

🤬  Arrrgh!!! Thanks for freaking nothing Saints! Had them down all night & somehow someway, Tom Brady & those scummy Bucs found a way to win the game at the end. As if I need another reason to hate Tom Brady & the Buccaneers. I think I'm about to throw up right about now.

Also, not getting that touchdown at the end of the 1st half certainly didn't help. Overall, the Saints flat out choked (up 16-3 in the 4th) & once again, we have to suffer even more all week having to hear how great Tom Brady is. Frankly, it makes me sick.

Edited by Magog
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Magog said:

🤬  Arrrgh!!! Thanks for freaking nothing Saints! Had them down all night & somehow someway, Tom Brady & those scummy Bucs found a way to win the game at the end. As if I need another reason to hate Tom Brady & the Buccaneers. I think I'm about to throw up right about now.

Also, not getting that touchdown at the end of the 1st half certainly didn't help. Overall, the Saints flat out choked & once again, we have to suffer even more all week having to hear how great Tom Brady is.

We hear about how great he is bc he is great.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1

I'm sorry but I needed that!  I think the infamous ChitChat needed that win too after the outcome of the other team.  Saints were sorta stale.  3 FG and not much more.  TB & TB didn't have to do too much here.  

I agree, they'll need to do more against San Francisco & Cincinnati.  Fortunately one game is at home, and the other has a guy drafted in a worse spot Tom was drafted in 22 years prior.  Then three easy games to close out things.  The bad news is their coach is Todd Bowles

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I don't think Mr. Irrevalent will be playing against Tampa. They have until tomorrow (noon?) to claim Mayfield off waivers.

Unless someone gets to him first.  Just saddened that we were so close to getting Jimmy G vs Tom Brady.  Actually, I'm kinda pissed

• Love 2

LOL my nephew just texted "Congrats Brady, you just beat a shit team at home." But he'll be crowned the GOAT repeatedly this week. 

ETA I'm sure Tampa was favored by more than a point to a shit team at home, so they didn't even cover! 😃

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

I knew it would be a struggle because CAR has no offensive line 

Carolina has a good offensive line, probably the best they've had in years.  PJ Walker seemed pretty relaxed, standing in the pocket and slinging it.

I was hoping Baker could get things on track here, but it's pretty clear that his confidence is pretty much gone.

Oh, and thanks for nothing, Saints.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

A couple more things.  I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the respect for Mayfield would be there in San Francisco.  Definitely better than Mr. Irrelevant (unless proven otherwise) but they might need someone that can keep things united.

Brady to San Francisco is a possibility.  Not this season, but I've heard a lot of talk that it could happen next year.  Basically the Niners are in the same spot as Tampa was in 2020.  They would have to face the NFC East and the AFC North; plus Minnesota and Tampa, but IMO, I wouldn't mind seeing it.  Though TBH, I wouldn't be shocked if York booted Shanahan if the 49ers completely fall off the grid

• Love 1