Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Well I was 11-5 on my picks last week. Now for week 13! This season is going by fast.

Bills vs Patriots*
Packers* vs Bears
Steelers*
 vs Falcons
Jets vs Vikings*
Jaguars
 vs Lions*
Titans vs Eagles*
Browns* vs Texans
Commanders
 vs Giants--tie!
Broncos vs Ravens*
Dolphins vs 49ers*
Seahawks* vs Rams
Chargers vs Raiders*
Chiefs vs Bengals*
Colts
 vs Cowboys*
Saints vs Buccaneers

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Some of Watson's accusers are going to the game Sunday.  if someone violated you like that why would you ever go see him play?  It strikes me as very weird.  

The tweet says he 'never had to play a game in front of his accusers - until now.' Unless they are standing on the sideline with big posters, I don't know that he will even notice they are at the game. Not sure what this proves, other than to get some publicity for the attorney.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

because they’re an AFC North team, and hubby’s favorite.

Well, just to prove that love really does make you stoopid----I married a Raiders fan. 😉 

And I never miss an opportunity to bring up the Immaculate Reception 😄

• LOL 8
53 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Well, just to prove that love really does make you stoopid----I married a Raiders fan. 😉 

And I never miss an opportunity to bring up the Immaculate Reception 😄

Christmas Eve is going to be wild at your house this year.

• LOL 1

Well, in terms of the Sunday Night Football matchup on December 11, the move is now official.  It took the whole day, but the NFL has finally the Week 14 AFC West matchup out of SNF in favor of Dolphins/Chargers.  With the latter's move to primetime, Denver & Kansas City take over that 4:05 spot that was occupied by Miami/LA prior to the flex

• Love 1

The NFL suspending Watson just long enough so that his first game back is IN HOUSTON is beyond gross.

And I am doing fuckall about it, because if the game happens to be on in my area and doesn’t interfere with watching the Giants, I’ll watch it.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The NFL suspending Watson just long enough so that his first game back is IN HOUSTON is beyond gross.

When the length of his suspension was announced and I looked at their schedule my first thought was yep they purposely chose that number of games.  Do we know if it's the game of the week?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

When the length of his suspension was announced and I looked at their schedule my first thought was yep they purposely chose that number of games.  Do we know if it's the game of the week?

No it is not.  All of the remaining Cleveland games are scheduled for 1:00 PM EST, with a couple of exceptions.  Weeks 15 & 18 could both be moved to the Saturday before.  In other words, one or both; barring that, it's 1:00 Watson action for the rest of the year where people can avoid it.  On a national level; certain markets may not have a choice.

The browns game against the Ravens is one of five games slated to get moved up a day earlier, though I'd expect it would be the early 4:30 window.  Then their game in Pittsburgh would only get moved if it had playoff implications.  That's doubtful but it may be the case given how things have tightened up a bit again in the AFC North. 

I don't see it anyway since there are better options in the NFC East & the AFC East.  That's both in the final week of the season and on December 17th; two of other 5 games slated for a Saturday move are "NFL East" games, including Dolphins/Bills & Giants/Washington.  BTW, only 2 of the five games are getting moved a day early; not all five.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The tweet says he 'never had to play a game in front of his accusers - until now.' Unless they are standing on the sideline with big posters, I don't know that he will even notice they are at the game. Not sure what this proves, other than to get some publicity for the attorney.

Ding, ding, ding.

Oh the League totally planned that his suspension would end against the texans.   Not to avoid Brady and the Bucs.   But because the League CANNOT resist the "QB faces his old team" storyline.   If it had ended last week, this week would not be that hyped.   Since its the texans literally no one would care about this game if not for "Watson's first game back from suspension and he is facing his old team."

thank god for Red Zone.   This will be so bad it won't feature much on the show.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Maybe they want to cheer when he gets sacked and/or throws an interception, then loses the game. 

20 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if the NFL did it just for drama and intrigue.

The LEAGUE wanted to suspend him for at least a year. But because the players are represented by a union and a collective bargaining agreement that would have resulted in lawsuits, and rulings by judges that the NFL has to hold off on the suspension until they can hear the case, they ended up negotiating the longer than longer suspension and fine over and above the usual loss of game checks. 

Unionized NFL players can't just be terminated the way I can from my job. Punishments for off the field behavior is covered in the collective bargaining agreement, and the NFL knew damn well that they were going to need to negotiate something rather than just kick him out and let the lawsuits keep this story in the news forever. 

I appreciate the sentiment that the NFL should have suspended him indefinitely for what he did, and I actually believe that the league would have been just fine sending this headache into permanent limbo. Not only were most of the owners aware that it's a bad thing for the league to let somebody who did what Watson did just come back like he did nothing, but all of the owners were pretty pissed off at the Browns for giving him a gigantic fully-guaranteed contract while they were at it. *

Having said that, I believe the last thing the league (which means all of the owners and not just the league office) wants is a spectacle where everybody is watching Watson come back.

I also seriously doubt that anybody advising Watson wanted his first game back to be a spectacle drawing lots of attention.

If there was anybody involved in consciously making his first game back be the one against Houston, I would say it was Watson himself. He has a ton of animosity towards the Texans for reasons that have nothing to do with his predatory behavior. He had already vowed to never play for the team again before the news of the first lawsuit hit. Maybe the league was offering up a 12 game suspension and he was the one who countered with 11. It feels like something he would do.

* The Browns are Richard Dawson and the other owners are Arnold in this clip:

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

The LEAGUE wanted to suspend him for at least a year. But because the players are represented by a union and a collective bargaining agreement that would have resulted in lawsuits, and rulings by judges that the NFL has to hold off on the suspension until they can hear the case, they ended up negotiating the longer than longer suspension and fine over and above the usual loss of game checks. 

Unionized NFL players can't just be terminated the way I can from my job. Punishments for off the field behavior is covered in the collective bargaining agreement, and the NFL knew damn well that they were going to need to negotiate something rather than just kick him out and let the lawsuits keep this story in the news forever. 

I appreciate the sentiment that the NFL should have suspended him indefinitely for what he did, and I actually believe that the league would have been just fine sending this headache into permanent limbo. Not only were most of the owners aware that it's a bad thing for the league to let somebody who did what Watson did just come back like he did nothing, but all of the owners were pretty pissed off at the Browns for giving him a gigantic fully-guaranteed contract while they were at it. *

Having said that, I believe the last thing the league (which means all of the owners and not just the league office) wants is a spectacle where everybody is watching Watson come back.

I also seriously doubt that anybody advising Watson wanted his first game back to be a spectacle drawing lots of attention.

If there was anybody involved in consciously making his first game back be the one against Houston, I would say it was Watson himself. He has a ton of animosity towards the Texans for reasons that have nothing to do with his predatory behavior. He had already vowed to never play for the team again before the news of the first lawsuit hit. Maybe the league was offering up a 12 game suspension and he was the one who countered with 11. It feels like something he would do.

* The Browns are Richard Dawson and the other owners are Arnold in this clip:

Two words: Richie  Incognito.  

This piece of human debris was allowed to continue playing in the  NFL for 7 years,  INCLUDING  3 years after an incident where he threatened a funeral home with a gun. 

Edit to add: Incognito makes Antonio Brown look sane and rational. 

Edited by Colleenna
Additional thought
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Two words: Richie  Incognito.  

This piece of human debris was allowed to continue playing in the  NFL for 7 years,  INCLUDING  3 years after an incident where he threatened a funeral home with a gun. 

Edit to add: Incognito makes Antonio Brown look sane and rational. 

Yeah, Incognito should’ve been kicked out of the NFL after the Bullygate debacle in Miami, it sickened me to see so many people defend Incognito and bullying during that period, and that was an embarrassing failure of leadership by the Dolphins organization all around. And that wasn’t the only incident with Incognito, he’s batfuck crazy. And I’m not sure why teams kept signing him, because he wasn’t some outstanding player. 

• Love 1

I heard an interview Matt LaFleur gave about Aaron Rodgers (very cagey, that one.  Good with the coach speak) and it made me laugh, because on Sunday night, if they didn’t show them in their team hoodies, I had no idea who was Nick Sirianni and who was Matt LaFleur.

Speaking of coaches, it’s still so crazy that the Stillers have had three in the Super Bowl era.  It would not surprise me if one of the other 31 teams have had three coaches in the 2020’s (the Giants may be one of those).

• Love 1

Here are my picks for Week 13’s games

Bills over Patriots. 
Falcons over Steelers.  
Packers over Bears.   
Lions over Jaguars.  
Vikings over Jets.   
Giants over Commanders.  
Eagles over Titans.    
Ravens over Broncos.  
Browns over Texans.   
Seahawks over Rams.  
49ers over Dolphins.   
Bengals over Chiefs.  
Chargers over Raiders. 
Cowboys over Colts.  
Buccaneers over Saints. 

I don't gamble, but for those that do, I would totally go with Broncos and that +8.5 ASAP, since it's possible that it's not going to be that sweet anywhere from 90 seconds to 90 minutes

Of course, several pick against the spread within one's predictions that have nothing to do with actual betting, so I wouldn't know how one would handle odds (opening or closing).  For me, they hardly change drastically

No.  Nobody mentioned AB as the guy has been mentioned way too many times for an octopus to count on all of its hands.

On a related note, I don't know what the odds are for Bills/Patriots (I've seen -2.5 to -4 in favor of Buffalo), but I'm going to pick New England outright and the under.  Not necessarily a short week as both received the American Team benefit of playing a Thursday game after a Thursday holiday game.  It's a home game for the Pats who need it, and a Von-less Bills team helps N.E.

• Love 2

11 years ago I shared on Facebook that Mike & Mike were asking the hard questions.

Poll question on Mike & Mike in the Morning (sports show)...who is better looking - Mark Sanchez or Tom Brady?

To me Sanchez wins NO DOUBT.  Tom Brady is fug fug fuggity fug.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Stupid Pats fans booing their team for only being down 10 against a team better than them. Such spoiled shits. 

If the Pats fans were down 26 with 14:59 or less to go, then that would be fair enough.

Pats suck.  And so do the Bills.  I guess the only way they can lose is by picking against them (New Year's can't come soon enough).  Or if they actually get to the Super Bowl only to face either Dallas or Brady

• LOL 1

Good for the Bills.

The Patriots have owned them the last 20 years.  I don't want to hear Bills fans convincing me they have revenge for that whole time period now but they got the Belichick/Patriots money off their back at least 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

New England might as well start introducing themselves with Bill as the featured person.  For example, "Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals travel to Foxborough to face Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots."

TBS (to be serious) Mac Jones had "2 minutes" to find someone before the 2-minute warning and found no one

Either way, Buffalo is a great team, and a Super Bowl victory would actually be very nice.  Not too easy but they're finding ways to win (while getting a head start to address the run game).  No Von Miller and it's like it didn't even matter!

Edited by Carey

Bills dominated tonight on both sides of the ball - they moved the ball well on offense and had a good rushing attack, and their defense shut down the Pats pretty well. Bills are a strong team. I don’t trust the Pats, they are wildly inconsistent all around, I’m not sure what to make of Mac Jones and I think the Pats defense needs improvement.

Bills had turn overs.   They had to PUNT.   Allen was getting sacked.  They were messy.   AND STILL WON.

Now good teams find a way to win even when they are messy.   But man the Pats have fallen off a cliff.   It might be retirement time for Bill.   At the very least, can we all agree that having Matt Patricia on offense is really not a good idea?

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Bills had turn overs.   They had to PUNT.   Allen was getting sacked.  They were messy.   AND STILL WON.

Now good teams find a way to win even when they are messy.   But man the Pats have fallen off a cliff.   It might be retirement time for Bill.   At the very least, can we all agree that having Matt Patricia on offense is really not a good idea?

Patricia probably isn’t awesome as an OC but I attribute the Pats play to an overall coaching staff brain drain after having so many assistants hired away which prompted the Patricia to offense thing. Every position meeting room is a little bit dumber than we're used to seeing. I think it’s most evident in the quantity of penalties. So many offsides and false starts. The Vikings game swung on that roughing the punter penalty. 

Amusingly, the Pats at 6-6 have a better record than Brady’s Bucs at 5-6. And the Pats are last in their division and the Bucs lead theirs. 

• Love 1

I saw that stat not too long ago.  It was definitely worth the laugh.  Though at the end of the day, Tampa probably will have a better record.  New England still has a game against Cincinnati.  Though so do the Bucs, but the Pats still have a date at Orchard Park later on.

The amazing thing is that the East division in both conferences had all 4 teams in a playoff spot.  As of now, the NFCE still does; headed into TNF, the Patriots were a spot out with the Bengals as one of the wild cards with the other AFCE teams.

I can see the 2nd place finisher in the NFC West ruining the "NFC East perfect postseason attendance" but I don't think anyone else is close.  In the AFC, barring a run by Vegas, it's only the Chargers and whoever the 2nd place finisher is in the AFC North between Baltimore and Cincy

Did anyone see the video of Drew Brees getting hit by lightening earlier this week?

He was down in S America filming a commercial in the middle of a storm, when it hit what looks like the heel or back of the lower leg.

Luckily he’s ok.  It knocked him off his feet, then the video shuts off.  

The video is shocking! 😜😆️ 

(Ok bad pun)

56 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Did anyone see the video of Drew Brees getting hit by lightening earlier this week?

He was down in S America filming a commercial in the middle of a storm, when it hit what looks like the heel or back of the lower leg.

(Ok bad pun)

Yeah but the jokes were hilarious (seriously, seek them out).

I guess some "higher power" is a Los Angeles Chargers fan!

BTW, I don't know (or think) it's time for Bill to call it quits.  The standards are what they are, and the history is what it is.  New England still played two of the best teams this year in the NFL.  Most teams, all of whom haven't even come close to the success of the Pats, also crumbled courtesy of the 2017 NFC North Champions and the current AFC East champions

Edited by Carey
18 hours ago, roamyn said:

(Ok bad pun)

Brees admitted it was faked when everyone got upset he might have been hurt.

It was about "lightening bets" so some idiot thought it would be a great idea to have it look like Brees was struck by lightening.  

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

It was about "lightening bets" so some idiot thought it would be a great idea to have it look like Brees was struck by lightening.  

I'm just gobsmacked -- or maybe not -- that super-squeaky-clean stick-up-his-butt Drew Brees is shilling for sports gambling.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Carey said:

BTW, I don't know (or think) it's time for Bill to call it quits.  The standards are what they are, and the history is what it is.  New England still played two of the best teams this year in the NFL.  Most teams, all of whom haven't even come close to the success of the Pats, also crumbled courtesy of the 2017 NFC North Champions and the current AFC East champions

He's the Gregg Popovich of the NFL.  It's unlikely he has more playoff glory coming, so it's really down to whether or not he loves his job.  I'm assuming neither cares about the peanut gallery talking about how much better his legacy would be if he had retired a couple of years ago.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I was kinda bummed when he admitted it was a fake.  Not that I wanted him to get hurt, but that Drew Brees would’ve been a part of it.

So I guess I’m one of those stupid people that fell for the ‘joke’.

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

He's the Gregg Popovich of the NFL.  It's unlikely he has more playoff glory coming, so it's really down to whether or not he loves his job.  I'm assuming neither cares about the peanut gallery talking about how much better his legacy would be if he had retired a couple of years ago.

I think Belichick would happily coach for the rest of his life even if he bounced from 10-7 to 7-10 throughout. 

The issue is whether Bob Kraft thinks he can do better. There may come a day where he tests that theory. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Just want to say I hope DW and the Browns get crushed tomorrow.

I don't.  To explain: I actually do, but I don't expect it since Houston is a dumpster fire that didn't need to be created.  Their team is in Tennessee now and are fine there.  Guess I could say the same thing about Cleveland, but the hope for Cleveland and DW getting crushed is getting pushed back one week.  TBH, I might not "hope" for it then since it's a game against Joe Burrow and the Bengals