Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I know the Chiefs will still win the game but kudos to the Broncos for not giving up behind 27-0.

Another blow for the Niners, but hoping this score sticks. I hate the Niners but will root for them against Brady.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Oh, Russell Wilson slamming his head into the turf was hard to watch.  Eyes glazed over.  And then the announcers are like, oh, good on the teammates for seeing it.  Heck, even I saw right away he wasn't getting up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Speaking of what "may be right" I do think it would be okay if the team with the better record hosted a playoff game.  Since everybody overreacts, If Dallas had to go on the road to a team like Tampa with half as many wins and they lost, they'd change the rules.  Doesn't change what happened to teams like Indianapolis, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and Arizona.

I wouldn't agree with it since they still have a boatload of divisions in the league, but when the winning percentage is that dominant, that would be fair.  Though in this case, the Bucs did defeat the Cowboys in Arlington in this same season and not at Raymond James Stadium.  BTW, I sorta hope Carolina does catch Tampa Bay, and they can since the Bucs still have a game against Cincinnati

7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I didn't watch a single game today with Romo as an announcer. It was a good day. 

I couldn't even if I wanted to.  However, I have to disagree that it was a good day.

Brady's announcing predecessor got to call his ass-kicking.  It was a great day!

• LOL 6

Rats, Vikings lost to Detroit and now our record is the same as Cowboys. I was afraid of this happening: 1) Detroit's been on an upswing, and 2) we played a tough game against the Jets and I have a feeling there may have been an attitude, "Oh it's just Detroit, no big deal", which you can't have toward any opponent. 

It was funny to see Mr. Irrelevant Purdy beat Tom Brady by 28 points. (Not as bad as by 37 points.)

This Chargers/Dolphins game is getting weird. First Chargers were ahead 10-7 well into the 2nd half, then that weird fumble where Hill picks up the ball and runs to the end zone to score. Now it's 10-7.

• Love 1

Though Philadelphia also defeated Minnesota & probably will not fall behind the probable & new NFC North champions.  Either way mojoween is on point.  Dallas will still have to travel to US Bank Stadium if things fall that way (I don't think Dallas can catch Philly. Plus, I don't think they'd get out of Tampa either which is the likely WC matchup)

31 minutes ago, Carey said:

Though Philadelphia also defeated Minnesota & probably will not fall behind the probable & new NFC North champions.  Either way mojoween is on point.  Dallas will still have to travel to US Bank Stadium if things fall that way (I don't think Dallas can catch Philly. Plus, I don't think they'd get out of Tampa either which is the likely WC matchup)

I said I wanted Vikings to play 7th seed, but just realized there's a very good chance that could be Detroit!

7 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I said I wanted Vikings to play 7th seed, but just realized there's a very good chance that could be Detroit!

That's a possibility.  However, you could fall below San Francisco and avoid the 7th seed altogether.  Even though Detroit is surging, they still have a ways to go.  The Giant might crumble completely and stay down, but Seattle is still in the mix in addition to Washington.  Detroit as a 6th seed is probably not happening this year (in the event that the 49ers jump to 2nd place).  For what it's worth, I'll believe the Lions will win a playoff game when I see it

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Is something wrong with Tua beyond just playing badly? I haven’t been watching. 

People may have figured him out.  Plus he's not really 100%.  In addition, it's yet another example of a story where someone crushes it early and often enough that they're crowning them.  It's a super long season.

Tua is fine overall.  Not that great, which isn't good, but in all fairness, everyone is banged up around this point of the year

As mentioned elsewhere, it was probably more important for Burrow and company to win the in-state game than me or anybody else.

No matter how great you are or how great the foe is, you gotta beat division foes.  Joe Cool is fantastic, no doubt about it, but whatever happens, the win against the in-state rival was awesome. Nothing more to criticize Cincinnati for anymore, period

5 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Not while Jimmy G is still in the NFC West…

He's just one guy. Granted, he's smoking hot, but who else does the NFC West have? Stafford? Nah. Geno Smith? I don't think I've ever seen him without a helmet. Kyler? He's alright, nothing special. 😀

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He's just one guy. Granted, he's smoking hot, but who else does the NFC West have? Stafford? Nah. Geno Smith? I don't think I've ever seen him without a helmet. Kyler? He's alright, nothing special. 😀

Think of the treasure state, and then travel back 4 decades.  There's your answer

17 hours ago, Carey said:

I forgot to mention the playoff status of a certain team earlier: The Steelers can no longer win the division with their loss today.  It really doesn't matter since Cincinnati (who still has a game against Baltimore) is probably not losing out or might not even lose again before their meaningful clinch

Trubisky sucks. That is all. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Thanks for nothing, Houston.

That should be the motto for the Texans entire existence. I can't find anything positive & even remotely likable about the Texans. They are absolute scum on so many levels.

13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

We're back to the SOB's (same old Bucs).  Sigh. 

You got a Super Bowl win out of it. I will always feel sorry for the early incarnation of the Bucs (1976-1982) before I will ever feel sorry for the current version of the Bucs. I don't know who they're playing next game, but I really hope I see another dose of humiliation from Tom Brady & the Bucs. I enjoyed that ass whopping yesterday, even though Kyle Shanahan can get bent.

8 minutes ago, Magog said:

You got a Super Bowl win out of it. I will always feel sorry for the early incarnation of the Bucs (1976-1982) before I will ever feel sorry for the current version of the Bucs. I don't know who they're playing next game, but I really hope I see another dose of humiliation from Tom Brady & the Bucs. I enjoyed that ass whopping yesterday, even though Kyle Shanahan can get bent.

They're onto Cincinnati.  It might be possible that he gets humiliated again; these are our (grand) daddy's Bengals.  BTW, with the dominance of Cincy, along with Buffalo and KC, there might be some validity toward the GOATS reunion.  Might be a reminder or a "warning" of sorts of why those three (Burrow, Mahomes, Allen) might be the face and the dominance of the AFC

11 hours ago, Carey said:

People may have figured him out.  Plus he's not really 100%.  In addition, it's yet another example of a story where someone crushes it early and often enough that they're crowning them.  It's a super long season.

I heard a terrific analysis of what San Francisco did to the Dolphins last week, which would certainly fit in the description of "figured out".

It was as follows: Draw a box that is 15 yards wide (so 7.5 yards on either side of the center) and 15 yards down field.  The Dolphins, and Tua specifically, are killing everybody in that box. He's incredibly accurate when he gets to set his feet and throw the ball in that box.  So the 49ers had the safeties camp out in that box, a couple of different ways, but pretty much consistently created a lot of traffic in that area. It turns out, when Tua has to throw to the sidelines, or is on his feet moving out of the pocket, he's distinctly less accurate and effective.

• Useful 6
36 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Our run defense didn't look good either.

And on top of that, they had a blocked field goal and a 17 yard punt. The punt was so bad even the announcers sounded horrified.

• Mind Blown 1
25 minutes ago, xaxat said:

And on top of that, they had a blocked field goal and a 17 yard punt. The punt was so bad even the announcers sounded horrified.

The Giants also decided it was a good week to crap the bed on special teams. I mean, as long as you're already going to get your butt kicked, might as well give up some long kickoff and punt returns, and have your punter drop a snap and then do something stupid to add on a ten yard penalty.

They did block a punt, but that doesn't offset all the other bad play.

5 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I heard it pointed out that if the Bucs had not come come back on the Saints last week the entire NFC South would be tied at 5-8!

It happens sometimes, where an entire division is down all at the same time.

I would figure that at least one of them will figure it out and be a lot better next year. (Although, maybe not if all four teams in the division in 2023 can't figure out quarterback their situations.)

3 hours ago, Magog said:

You got a Super Bowl win out of it.

That's why expectations are high with Brady at the helm.  At the very least, just don't embarrass the organization, but they have played horribly most of the season.  Oh well, we will hold out hope for next year!  No pity needed.  We're Bucs fans.  We're used to being crapped on!  

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Harvin sucks. The first game he played with the Steelers,  I think his longest punt was something like 35 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Early look ahead to the offseason QB carousel which looks to be absolutely crazy. As near as I can figure out with help from spotrac.com:

Teams that are set at QB and happy about it: KC, Buffalo, Dallas, Cleveland (I guess), Miami, Cin, Jax, LAC, PHI

Teams that have a longterm contract at QB but may not be happy about that: Denver, Arizona 

Teams that are kind of leaning towards being happy about their QB situation but maybe not: Min, Det

Teams probably giving a young QB their fair chance: Chi, Pit

Teams that might want an upgrade/change at QB: New England, NY Jets (unless they believe in Mike White), Tennessee, LV, WAS, NYG, Hou

Teams that absolutely need a new QB: Ind, Car, Atl, NO

Who knows WTF they're thinking? Baltimore (Lamar still a FA), GB, TB, SF, SEA, LAR

Starting Caliber 2023 Free Agent QBs: Lamar Jackson, Brady, Garoppolo, Geno Smith, Mike White?, Daniel Jones?, Taylor Heinicke?

Potential significant retirements: Brady (jk, he'll never retire), Stafford

Fill in Caliber 2023 Free Agent QBs (You wouldn't be that surprised to see them as a bridge starter for a year): Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Teddy Bridgewater, Gardner Minshew, Jacoby Brissett

Current top five teams in the draft order: 1 Hou, 2 Sea (from Den) 3 Chi 4 Det (from LAR) 5 Phi (From NO)

Probable 1st Round draft prospects: Bryce Young (Alabama), CJ Stroud (Ohio State), Will Levis (Kentucky)

As it stands, Houston will draft whoever they like #1. Seattle and/or Chicago and Detroit will each have an interesting draft decision and may field huge trade up proposals from the likes of Indy, Carolina, and Atlanta which are in the 6-10 range. Philadelphia of all teams will get a bounty from their top 5 draft position. 

There is going to have to be a heck of a lot of predraft movement from the WTF? and wants a change groups.

• Love 2