Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Go Pack Go!  Thanks, Giants, for dropping all those passes early, giving Aaron Rodgers some time to get his game together.  You know, in the past, I'd barely watch any Hail Mary play, since it always seemed to end in an INT, but sweet Jesus, Aaron has made it a high percentage play.  Feel sick for Jordy Nelson, with all his work to get back from the knee injury and then he takes the shot right in the ribs.  Lots of heroes for the Pack - their punter really kept them in the game in the first half, Jake Ryan played a heck of a game, Damarius Randall was surprisingly effective (been very inconsistent all year), Julius Peppers had some great plays, Clay Matthews being the only guy on the field who realized the whistle hadn't blown, and Randall Cobb playing great.  Plus #12 - it's nice to have the best player in the NFL. 

Of course, the Packers also have the dumbest coach in the league.  Thought I might have a stroke when they went for it on 4th down.  Stupid decision to go for it, and terrible play called for that circumstance.  But since they won, and won decisively, it will probably be just an afterthought when discussing this game.  However, if the Packers lost the game, there would be no talk about Miami, it would be all about whether that was the worst decision EVER by a coach in a playoff game. 

Hopefully the games next week will be better.  Patriots should destroy Houston, but Seattle at Atlanta should be a good game, and Roethlisberger's injury (football gods got him as payback for Steelers' head shot to Moore) makes that game in KC very interesting.  And once again I'll have to wait for the last game of the weekend for the Pack to play.  I'm hereby declaring a restraining order - Justin Bieber may not come within 100 miles of any Packer player in the next week.  But feel free to head to Dallas!

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Go Pack Go!  Thanks, Giants, for dropping all those passes early, giving Aaron Rodgers some time to get his game together.  You know, in the past, I'd barely watch any Hail Mary play, since it always seemed to end in an INT, but sweet Jesus, Aaron has made it a high percentage play.  Feel sick for Jordy Nelson, with all his work to get back from the knee injury and then he takes the shot right in the ribs.  Lots of heroes for the Pack - their punter really kept them in the game in the first half, Jake Ryan played a heck of a game, Damarius Randall was surprisingly effective (been very inconsistent all year), Julius Peppers had some great plays, Clay Matthews being the only guy on the field who realized the whistle hadn't blown, and Randall Cobb playing great.  Plus #12 - it's nice to have the best player in the NFL. 

Of course, the Packers also have the dumbest coach in the league.  Thought I might have a stroke when they went for it on 4th down.  Stupid decision to go for it, and terrible play called for that circumstance.  But since they won, and won decisively, it will probably be just an afterthought when discussing this game.  However, if the Packers lost the game, there would be no talk about Miami, it would be all about whether that was the worst decision EVER by a coach in a playoff game.

Jordy Nelson is my Football husband, and when he took that shot, every Packer fan in the house was groaning about how we just got him back to full speed with Rogers. But LOVED that Cobb (Welcome back!) stepped up his game. His smile just lights up the room. When he caught the Hail Mary, no one at the house could believe it. I really think the Packer players could possibly be the best 500 players ever. I wish they would do a bad lip reading video of Roger just throwing bombs and shouting different numbers like 500.

McCarthy should be thanking his lucky stars he has such amazing players, and players who really stepped up their game. This game could have been a bloodbath.

Reports are already flying about drug tests for the Giants, but none of the guys who went to Miami. You would think it would be the guys who took that mini Vacation. 

I would love to see someone drop a Hail Mary on the Packers D for some payback- I hate the Packers but damn is Rodgers amazing. 

Minus the obvious, nausea inducing Patriots blowout next week the other three games look good.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Calvada said:

The Hail Mary against the Giants was payback - the Giants did that very thing to the Packers in the 2011 playoffs.   Eli to Hakeem Nicks to end the first half. 

I know but Rodgers has done this, what, three times in the past two seasons? Unheard of.

• Love 1

SportsCenter tease - "Miami was eliminated from the playoffs on Sunday and was it also responsible for the Giants exit?"

And I understand that everyone is going to make their little jokes but that is so incredibly disrespectful to the Packers.  Way to belittle a team who played well, media.

I'm over-bitter because I'm a Giants fan but still.  Riding a boat six days before does not make you drop passes.  It doesn't make you not properly defend in the end zone.  All the Packers points came on offense so the wide receivers little trip doesn't make that happen.

• Love 4

It's not that Giants players went cruisin', it was that this generation thinks they have to put EVERY DAMN THING they do on social media.  Whether its what they eat or where they go, this generation believes it doesn't exist unless its online.  Do it quietly if you must because you damn well know it will come back to bite you in the (shirtless) butt.  No one celebrates letting off steam more than my Cubs, whose manager is famous for the onesies trip, his dress-like-a-Disney-princess day for rookies, and magicians.

Green Bay needs to keep the wall that Becks punched and frame it -- both as a lesson to opponents AND to themselves.

• Love 3

I don't know whether the Packers would do that - perhaps if a Minnesota Viking or Chicago Bear punched the hole, maybe!  But usually the Packers organization is not a poke-in-the-eye type of group.  Now if it were up to a Daniel Snyder or a Jerry Jones?  They would already be ordering the plaque to hang next to it, having the team picture taken around it, using it as the avatar for the team's Twitter account, etc. 

20 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

It's not that Giants players went cruisin', it was that this generation thinks they have to put EVERY DAMN THING they do on social media.  Whether its what they eat or where they go, this generation believes it doesn't exist unless its online. 

Every day I am reminded more and more of Warren Beatty in Madonna's Truth or Dare movie: "Nothing exists if it's not on film."  (As I recall, he was hilarious in that film, sitting in the corner in a fedora and sunglasses being "reclusive Warren Beatty" caught in the all-hype-all-the-time Madonna zone and being a Greek chorus for the movie.)

• Love 1

I don't think the Miami trip itself was responsible for the WR's poor performance, I think they just put too much pressure on themselves knowing they'd get ripped to shreds if they played poorly, and all that overthinking led to mistakes. I read a lot of the comments on the Giants FB page and their fans are pissed, so going forward the players might want to be a little smarter with regards to what they post on social media. 

Aside from that, Aaron Rodgers was an absolute beast last night. I'm really looking forward to the match up with Dallas. Steelers/Chiefs and Falcons/Seahawks should be interesting as well. Pats/Texans is gonna be a blowout, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't think the Miami trip itself was responsible for the WR's poor performance, I think they just put too much pressure on themselves knowing they'd get ripped to shreds if they played poorly, and all that overthinking led to mistakes. I read a lot of the comments on the Giants FB page and their fans are pissed, so going forward the players might want to be a little smarter with regards to what they post on social media. 

Aside from that, Aaron Rodgers was an absolute beast last night. I'm really looking forward to the match up with Dallas. Steelers/Chiefs and Falcons/Seahawks should be interesting as well. Pats/Texans is gonna be a blowout, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

It was a tale of two halves. In the first half, the Giants played great defense (until the end of the 2nd quarter), and the offense moved the ball well. They just couldn't get into the end zone, and that was largely due to dropped passes. Eli made some great throws. 

It seems like the Packers' Hail Mary touchdown right before halftime affected the Giants mentally. In the second half, their defense was terrible, and the offense couldn't move the ball anymore. Everyone except Eli Manning seemed very young in last night's game--they seemed to lack the playoff passion and mental resilience that led to the Giants' recent Superbowls.

I just hope the Cowboys don't crumble the way the Giants did. I still think they're more talented than the Packers, even with
Aaron Rodgers playing the way he did in the second half of last night's game. But in order to win, the Dallas players will have to possess the maturity and mental toughness not to let the Packers get inside their heads.

ETA: Because the word is "end zone" not "in zone" 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 4

This is an overlap with the hated commercials thread, but words cannot express how much I hate those Chevy Commercials, which I bring up here because they constantly show them during the games.  They bug me on every level.  The "Real people"
 are so damn fake.  The execution is just stupid.  The writing and the idea behind them is just so unoriginal and dumb.  Basically "Chevy won a bunch of JD power and associate awards", spending tens or hundreds of millions to promote that, its all they have.  I don't care.  I am still not buying a chevy.  They are worse than that "zoom zoom" kid I have to suffer through for a few seasons. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Pats/Texans is gonna be a blowout, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Speaking of putting everything on social media and this game.   Also the punched wall.   The Pats go out of their way to not create bulletin board material for the other team.   Everyone is treating Pats/Texans as basically another bye for the Pats.    Tom Brady was asked about it.   He said you have to respect the Texans Defense.   That's it.   No trash talk.   No hyped up "nobody is gonna beat us" crap.   Just calm assessment of the other team's strong point.   They leave the hype to others.   Please also note the Pats record in the Belichek era.   

• Love 7
2 hours ago, topanga said:

It was a tale of two halves. In the first half, the Giants played great defense (until the end of the 2nd quarter), and the offense moved the ball well. They just couldn't get into the in zone, and that was largely due to dropped passes. Eli made some great throws. 

It seems like the Packers' Hail Mary touchdown right before halftime affected the Giants mentally. In the second half, their defense was terrible, and the offense couldn't move the ball anymore.

Exactly.  I said that if that defensive meltdown wasn't a one-off, it was going to be a long second half and, oh look, one long, ugly, miserable second half.  If the Giants had played in the second half like they did for 29:59 of the first half, it would have been one hell of a game and could have gone either way.

I'm still bummed today; I really wanted football to be an oasis for me this month.

Now I have to root for the Packers next weekend.  (I don't hate them, mind you - although it took a long time to get the Favre stench off for me to say that - but I like the Bears, so it's a stretch.)  With the Giants out, I'm now hoping for Seattle to take the whole thing, but they're a shakier team than they've been in previous appearances.  So I want the Cowboys out ASAP, so I can at least relax that if the Patriots wind up taking the AFC, I can still actually watch the damn Super Bowl and root for the NFC team.  Something that will not be happening if it's Cowboys/Pats.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Well I believe that sometimes the best defense is offense.  If Odell and Shepard convert on their td catches the packers are down 14 - 0 early in the first half and maybe Rodgers starts feeling some pressure (both literally...we sacked him like 4 or 5 times and figuratively...overthinking things and maybe throws a pick).

The defense did a great job and held off Rodgers as long as they could.  The offense did not help them AT ALL....Oh and dont even get me started on special teams.  The idiot kick off returner catches the ball at the 3 yard line....then his momentum carries him out of bounds. Like whhyy? Why are you catching the ball inside the 5? That was a back breaker even more so than the hail mary. Funny how the only person who showed up to play was Eli.  SMH.

Ill be rooting for Atlanta to win it all on the NFC...and KC to please please please knock out the Pats.  I cant take 2 weeks of Belicheck and Brady being slurped....and God fobid if they win AGAIN. 

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 3

I wish this would be the last day that the media talk about Odell and the receivers going to Miami. It is being overblown and the media is acting obnoxious in regards to it and other players who have been on social media, partied in the past etc... Young athletes are not the only people that are on social media.

And Famous or not the media doesn't need to constantly report on that type of thing unless someone is breaking the law or something. But this is what happens when networks like ESPN considers places like TMZ as trusted news sources are turning to them more and more to create news "stories". It has gotten ridiculous. I'm tired of this type of reporting negatively affecting sports stories.

4 hours ago, topanga said:

I just hope the Cowboys don't crumble the way the Giants did. I still think they're more talented than the Packers, even with
Aaron Rodgers playing the way he did in the second half of last night's game. But in order to win, the Dallas players will have to possess the maturity and mental toughness not to let the Packers get inside their heads.

I hope Dallas plays well and goes all the way. I have really enjoyed watching them this year. They have been exciting to watch and I think that it is good for the NFL when they are doing well.

I don't know how they will perform but I like this matchup better than I did them going against the Giants again. They have played the Packers before and beat them with this same team. So they know they can beat them even though the playoff atmosphere is different than the regular season and Aaron Rodgers is playing really well right now. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm glad that guy tripped.  It was bad sportsmanship to run the INT out of the end zone.

The Giants were down by 25 points with 30 seconds left when Eli threw that interception.

If in the course of those 30 seconds the Giants 

• scored a touchdown
  • made the 2-point conversion
  • recovered the onside kick
  • scored another touchdown
  • made another 2-point conversion
  • recovered the onside kick again
  • scored yet another touchdown, and
  • made yet another 2-point conversion

they still would have lost.

Why is acceptable for the Giants to attempt to score under those circumstances but not for the Packers?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This is an overlap with the hated commercials thread, but words cannot express how much I hate those Chevy Commercials, which I bring up here because they constantly show them during the games.  They bug me on every level.  The "Real people"
 are so damn fake.  The execution is just stupid.  The writing and the idea behind them is just so unoriginal and dumb.  

The "Lexus December to Remember" commercials are the car commercials that I really dislike. They also played a lot during games. Commercials of people often using their kids to ask "Santa" for a Lexus is very unappealing to me. Especially since those  people look like they can already afford a Lexus without any extra help. Those commercials seem very fake to me.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Speaking of putting everything on social media and this game.   Also the punched wall.   The Pats go out of their way to not create bulletin board material for the other team.   Everyone is treating Pats/Texans as basically another bye for the Pats.    Tom Brady was asked about it.   He said you have to respect the Texans Defense.   That's it.   No trash talk.   

I actually think that Texas would have a shot if Brock was a better QB. If he were the type of guy that could have at least a 4 TD type of game, I think they would have a better chance of pulling off an upset. Especially with their defense and some of their offensive talent. But Brock isn't that type of guy and I don't think he is going to be able to put up a lot of points against them. I think the Texans definitely need to put up a lot of points to have a shot against the Patriots. I heard today there was 17 point spread for this game.

Edited by Jx223
20 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

The Giants were down by 25 points with 30 seconds left when Eli threw that interception.

If in the course of those 30 seconds the Giants 

• scored a touchdown
  • made the 2-point conversion
  • recovered the onside kick
  • scored another touchdown
  • made another 2-point conversion
  • recovered the onside kick again
  • scored yet another touchdown, and
  • made yet another 2-point conversion

they still would have lost.

Why is acceptable for the Giants to attempt to score under those circumstances but not for the Packers?

Because the Giants were down and trying to score.  When the INT happened, there was no reason for the Pack to run another play because they were going to run out the clock.  

25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Because the Giants were down and trying to score.  When the INT happened, there was no reason for the Pack to run another play because they were going to run out the clock.  

Why does it matter if the Giants were down?

They had no chance of winning the game by that point.  At best, they get a garbage time touchdown - maybe, maybe 2 -- and pad a few stats.  At worst, someone suffers a career ending injury.

Under those circumstances, by trying to score, I think the Packers and the Giants are being equally good, or equally bad, sports.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Why does it matter if the Giants were down?

They had no chance of winning the game by that point.  At best, they get a garbage time touchdown - maybe, maybe 2 -- and pad a few stats.  At worst, someone suffers a career ending injury.

Under those circumstances, by trying to score, I think the Packers and the Giants are being equally good, or equally bad, sports.

I chalk it up to the fact that these are professional athletes, and they've been playing sports competitively for most of their lives. And these guys have been the best at what they do for most of their lives. So no one can tell the guys to essentially stop playing. 

Maybe the player who caught the INT never had a pick-6 before, and that's something he wants to add to his career resume. So when he saw the opportunity to run the ball out of the end zone, he took it.

Was it the most sportsmanlike thing to do? Probably not. But I don't think he violated some huge code of ethics. The Pats run up the score whenever they can, even when the game is out of reach for the other team. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Yoko I am not presuming to speak for xaxat but I think they are more concerned about Joey Porter's arrest.

Topanga see here's the thing is that I am a big ol' hypocrite.  One I was salty about Eli throwing a pick so I was butthurt about that guy running out of the end zone but also I can simultaneously say that if teams don't want the Pats to run up the score they can try to stop them any time while also intimating that the Pats are the worst team in history because they are jerks running up the score.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yoko I am not presuming to speak for xaxat but I think they are more concerned about Joey Porter's arrest.

Yeah, of all the bad things you can do while drunk, physically picking up a cop has to be high on the no-no list.

• Love 1

As a Packers fan, believe me I was imploring the guy to take a knee - only bad things can happen in that situation.  Injuries or one of the Giants getting pissed and taking someone out come to mind.  In the 2010 postseason, in the Wild Card game, Tramon Williams had an interception in the end zone with less than a minute left.  He didn't go to a knee, but ran out of the end zone to celebrate with his teammates, who realized the play was still live, and made him go down about the 5 yard line.  So suddenly I'm thinking a fumbled snap, and the Eagles score a game winning TD.  I was freaked out until the Packers successfully managed the snap in the victory formation.  Then in the NFC championship game, Sam Shields made the game-sealing INT and started running down the field as the entire Packers bench implored him to get down.  I think it was the most animated I've ever seen Mike McCarthy on the sideline.  For the guy making the pick, I think part of it is instinct, and part of it is excitement rendering them incapable of rational thought.  As a fan, all it does is cause a spike in blood pressure!

• Love 1
On 1/9/2017 at 11:42 PM, MarkHB said:

Yeah, of all the bad things you can do while drunk, physically picking up a cop has to be high on the no-no list.

Picking up a cop as in lifting the cop in the air, or trying to take him or her back to his place? The 2nd one would make for a great story. 

(I'm too lazy to Google it. And I'm at work. Shouldn't be on this site at all, now that I think about it). 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, topanga said:

Picking up a cop as in lifting the cop in the air, or trying to take him or her back to his place? The 2nd one would make for a great story. 

(I'm too lazy to Google it. And I'm at work. Shouldn't be on this site at all, now that I think about it). 

Neither should I, but it was the former.  :)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Some guy named Sean McDermott is going to coach Buffalo.  Worked for the Panthers, I think?

The Chargers moving to LA is the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

He is the Panthers DC.  A good hire, I think, though the Panthers D this past year was not nearly as good without Josh Norman. 

• Love 1

This morning Adam Schefter said that there are three coaching vacancies in California and I was like but Oakland didn't fire Del Rio?  Until Schefty said the words San Francisco I could not for the life of me come up with a third team in California who needs a coach.  Poor Niners, the forgotten team.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, mojoween said:

This morning Adam Schefter said that there are three coaching vacancies in California and I was like but Oakland didn't fire Del Rio?  Until Schefty said the words San Francisco I could not for the life of me come up with a third team in California who needs a coach.  Poor Niners, the forgotten team.

Which is sad considering the 49ers legacy and their greatness in the '80s and '90s. But everything is cyclical, I suppose. The Patriots used to suck.  The Seahawks used to suck. The Bills used to be good. The Cowboys still mostly suck, except for this year (said with love by a Cowboys fan). 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I also don't understand why the Chargers are moving.  I can't imagine there's that much demand for 2 crap teams in LA, and San Diego should be more than large enough to support a team.  If it isn't, I think that speaks more to the management than the fan base.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

That's it.  The taxpayers said no so Spanos is picking up his toys and leaving.  I guess we don't care what the LA taxpayers pay for.

It's not even in LA; it's in Inglewood at the former site of Hollywood Park racetrack.  The ownership group that owns the Rams is building it (but wants tax breaks from the city); the Chargers will be tenants, they'll charge personal seat licenses to their season ticket holders which will go back to the building fund, but the Chargers themselves aren't actually on the hook for construction costs.