Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, twoods said:

My bad! I didn’t know in the playoffs the rules changed. Is that because of the Bills/KC matchup?

Yes.

CBS Sports put up an article about whether it's better to kick off in OT. Under the new rules, it's better to kick off, and that's the choice that is usually made in college ball. First, if you get a pick-six interception, the game is over. Second, if you don't get a pick-six, still when you have the ball for your possession, you know exactly what you need to win.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, twoods said:

My bad! I didn’t know in the playoffs the rules changed. Is that because of the Bills/KC matchup?

This was the first ot game with this rule. 

And why it's different than the regular season I have no idea. It makes no sense. 

To make ir further confusing it was the rule in nfl Europe years and years ago when it still existed. Took 20 + odd years to use it in nfl America. 

On another note, Shanahan made exactly the same mistake that he did in the first SB against KC, which is letting the first half end without going for more points. He could have used his time-outs to ensure there'd be time for the Niners to run some plays. You just can't let these opportunities pass by in close games against teams like KC.

6 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Taylor seems so educated and articulate. 

Travis viva las Vegas and Fight for your right seems such opposite of her. 

Has he always been this way, or has Jason’s wild man persona made Travis feel like he needs to do the same?  

4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Has he always been this way, or has Jason’s wild man persona made Travis feel like he needs to do the same?  

No he's always been that way. 

I've said many times....she can do better. He's like a frat boy that never grew up because he never had to playing football 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

He reminds me of Gronk, another annoying TE meathead. 

Thanks for making me feel better @DrSpaceman about not knowing the rules. I remember they were going to change the rules after that game but never saw it in the regular season so figured it didn’t pan out. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mariah23 said:

Alicia Keys and Cee Lo Green

3 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I'm an old, who are these people?

3 hours ago, mariah23 said:

Alicia Keys and Cee Lo Green

Turns out it wasn't a slimed down Cee Lo behind those shades but Jermaine Dupri.

• Useful 1

You're not making the choice to kick off or receive in OT in a vacuum though. SF had the KC defense on the ropes. They kept them out on the field for a long time and should have scored a TD. Then, that means the SF defense is well rested, and you're going to need everything you've got with Mahomes. They were actually tackling well on the final drive. The blitz was what cost them.

If you get the ball first, you, as the defense, know that they're going to have to go for it on 4th down on their possession. That could be used to your advantage. I think they need more games in this format to really understand the strategy. 

It's not the same, but there's enough statistics that in soccer you always go first in PKs because you're putting to the opponent. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Travis Kelce needs to apologize to Coach Reid.  That was absurd behavior, Travis.  I don’t care about “heat of the game” — just NO.

Apparently this happened but cameras didn't show it. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Useful 1
(edited)

MVP to McKinnon (I think it was him?)for carrying Kelce away after that happened and not letting it escalate. Winning solves everything. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 2

I did it.  I actually did what I resolved to do: not watch any of this horrid game in real time.  I wanted both teams to lose.  However, since there can only be one loser, I'd rather it were San Francisco because fuck them, fuck them for beating the Bengals in the Super Bowl twice when I was three and ten (and fuck Nick Bosa, especially) and because who cares if Mahomes and Co. have three rings instead of two.  It seems like it was a really devastating loss for the 49ers, so that's nice.

• Like 4
(edited)

The first half was bad but that second half and OT were great. I enjoy the game more when it is close.

For all the complaining about Taylor being onscreen, "the 34-year-old singer/songwriter was on all of 55 seconds (51 seconds before the game-winning touchdown) out of a broadcast that took about four hours and 18 minutes to complete. This is counting her sightings from kickoff until the game went final." USA Today

Edited by cmahorror
  • Like 7
  • Fire 2

I was very confused about the end of OT.  I thought it was 15 minutes and then if you didn’t score when the clock expired that was that, but apparently since it was the Chiefs first possession in OT, if they didn’t score, they would keep the ball until they were out of downs?  Romo, shockingly, did a shit job of explaining that.

It is amusing how Moody kicked the longest field goal in Super Bowl history, and the record stood for about an hour.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I was very confused about the end of OT.  I thought it was 15 minutes and then if you didn’t score when the clock expired that was that

In the regular games, yes-- in the playoffs (because somebody has to win) they keep going until someone scores and wins (at least IIRC).

• Like 1

I was very confused about the end of OT.  I thought it was 15 minutes and then if you didn’t score when the clock expired that was that, but apparently since it was the Chiefs first possession in OT, if they didn’t score, they would keep the ball until they were out of downs?  Romo, shockingly, did a shit job of explaining that.

It is amusing how Moody kicked the longest field goal in Super Bowl history, and the record stood for about an hour.

The Chief's would have had to match the San Francisco field goal or they would have lost. But if they tied then Sudden Death like the old days would have returned with the next possession.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I did it.  I actually did what I resolved to do: not watch any of this horrid game in real time.  I wanted both teams to lose. 

I'm right there with you-- John Riggins' magnificent 166-yd. rushing performance in Super Bowl XVII in '83 to lead Washington to a Lombardi (including that memorable 4th-and-1 for 43 to a TD) has that one ranking high above this travesty, and that's why I saw the second half of that one last night, and practically none of LVIII.

• Like 1

Now that this Super Bowl is over, what was your *first*?

I know we got a new TV (with a remote!  It had six buttons on it!) for Super Bowl XIX but I don’t recall the game.

XX, however, I do remember.  Jim McMahon and his headband made coverage even in Central New York, and the “Super Bowl Shuffle” was EVERYWHERE.  At twelve years old I knew enough to be mad at Mike Ditka for giving the ball to Fridge and not Sweetness.

35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Super Bowl IV. Kansas City beats Minnesota in the last game as the AFL goes 2-2  into the merger  with a win.

• Like 1

Super Bowl XII, Cowboys vs Broncos

It was the only time I've ever rooted for the Cowboys. (I was mad at the Broncos for beating the Raiders in the AFC championship)

• Like 2

It's a blur for me in terms of which one was my first.  In terms of a non-blur era, probably sometime between 1984-1991 (end of 1990 season).  Pretty much like every other TV show, I can't recall which was my first since they seemed all jumbled together (not in chronological order according to me).

I will say this: I haven't been in attendance at all 58.  There are about a quarter dozen people, and I'm not one of them.

Meanwhile, Shanahan may struggle with big decisions, but even if he didn't, it wasn't meant to be.   That the Hornacek of today's NFL

(edited)
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Super Bowl 22 was my first. Doug Williams scoring 5 touchdowns in the first half on the Broncos after being down 10-0. I only saw the 1st half of that game.

My first entire Super Bowl that I watched was the next one Super Bowl 23. Bud Bowl 1 commercials, Some guy from the Bengals got busted for drugs the night before the game (Is he still in jail?), Joe Montana leading the 49ers to victory.

2 hours ago, morriss said:

I am beginning to think that Kyle Shanahan just might have a problem when it comes to making decisions in crucial situations......🤔

Or maybe his defense sucks & he sucks. That 49ers defense completely failed them on some many levels last night. Especially in the 4th Quarter & Overtime. Maybe if their defense made a couple of plays in the 4th Quarter or Overtime, the results would of been different. BTW, just like that Super Bowl 4 yrs ago, he also blew another lead in the Super Bowl with him coughing up a 10 point lead (up 10-0).

As for the Chiefs, all I can say for them is, Yay. 😒

The morning pop station I have to listen to all day is downright unbearable right now thanks to the Chiefs winning it again for obvious reasons. Their victory parade is going to be even less fun to watch. Last yrs Chiefs parade really sucked & the upcoming one isn't going to be any better. 😒

Edited by Magog
5 minutes ago, Magog said:

Their victory parade is going to be even less fun to watch. Last yrs Chiefs parade really sucked & the upcoming one isn't going to be any better.

Fortunately for me I have the option to do something else.  For instance, turning the TV to Music Choice's Smooth Jazz.

7 minutes ago, Magog said:

Or maybe his defense sucks & he sucks. That 49ers defense completely failed them on some many levels last night.

The defense are who they are.  That was destined to happen.  Green Bay & Detroit had their way, but the defenses of both of those teams, as road teams with less rest, fell short.  Either team could've made it, but neither would've had a chance against Kansas City.  Maybe Detroit since Goff is as great against Mahomes as Tom Brady

There is a scene in Thor Ragnarok where Hulk grabs Thor by his ankles and thrashes him on the ground in exactly the same way he did to Loki in The Avengers. 

Angry Loki GIF

And after that happens, Loki stands up and loudly says "YES! That's what that feels like!"

After the Chiefs ran down the field in overtime, escaping by the skin of their teeth a couple times, and winning the game, I was imagining Bills fans probably thinking the same thing for the Niners. 

Yep, that's what that feels like. 

• LOL 2

How did you guess that’s how I felt? Probably the only time I was rooting for the Niners. I don’t think Shanahan made the worst decisions- Mahomes just made better ones. When nobody was open he ran for yards and first downs. He went for it on fourth down instead of a FG and it paid off with a TD. Shit happens- you run into a team that has a guy that makes better decisions than your guy in crunch time and lose. 

• Like 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, twoods said:

Shit happens- you run into a team that has a guy that makes better decisions than your guy in crunch time and lose. 

Yes that guy used to be named Tom Brady. And now his name is Patrick Mahomes.  I've said before it's not fun to watch the same team go to the SB all the time.  Kinda ironic that me a Steeler fan who had her team go to and win four SBs in a short period of time would say that but I'm sure back then a bunch of people felt the same way. 

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The first SB I actually watched from start to finish was SB 30. When the Steelers lost to the Cowboys. And that one hurt. Pittsburgh had been needing "one for the thumb" for 15 years finally make it back to the SB and lose to Dallas of all people. 

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The first SB I actually watched from start to finish was SB 40. When the Steelers lost to the Cowboys. And that one hurt. Pittsburgh had been needing "one for the thumb" for 15 years finally make it back to the SB and lose to Dallas of all people. 

That was Super Bowl XXX.  If you used the 1996 calendar that game would've been two weeks prior to this year's game.

Looking back, that one was painful as well.  At the time it wasn't since it had been so long, the season before was a painful outcome just to get back, and Pittsburgh wasn't expected to win over a team that was expected to win

Super Bowl XL was worth it a decade later, so there's that

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Carey said:

Super Bowl XL was worth it a decade later, so there's that

For me that SB was a let down.  I mean I'm glad Pittsburgh won but it felt more like Seattle lost. Pittsburgh didn't play their best and save for a few great plays (Willie Parker's 75 yd TD run and Antwann Randle El throwing a TD pass to Hines Ward) I thought the game was just average. But Super 53 three years later will forever remain my favorite SB ever.  I will still go and watch parts of that game on YouTube because it was just so damn good.

(edited)
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Super Bowl X for me. My neighborhood was FULL of boys, and we were all very into sports from a very young age. That game was Steelers over Cowboys, with Lynn Swan winning the MVP. 

That was the 1975 season, game at the start of 1976. Here in the NYC area, our football teams were still awful, but that was the year that the Yankees got good again, and the first year that we all started collecting baseball cards.

From there on out I remember parts of every football season and every Super Bowl.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Super Bowl X for me. My neighborhood was FULL of boys, and we were all very into sports from a very young age. That game was Steelers over Cowboys, with Lynn Swan winning the MVP. 

That was the 1975 season, game at the start of 1976. Here in the NYC area, our football teams were still awful, but that was the year that the Yankees got good again, and the first year that we all started collecting baseball cards.

From there on out I remember parts of every football season and every Super Bowl.

We share a first! I was five and wore my Terry Bradshaw jersey (with my pigtails) to my first day of kindergarten fall of 1976. I grew up in Ohio. 

• Like 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

For me that SB was a let down.  I mean I'm glad Pittsburgh won but it felt more like Seattle lost. Pittsburgh didn't play their best and save for a few great plays (Willie Parker's 75 yd TD run and Antwann Randle El throwing a TD pass to Hines Ward) I thought the game was just average. But Super 53 three years later will forever remain my favorite SB ever.  I will still go and watch parts of that game on YouTube because it was just so damn good.

I'm not one to blame refs often but...

The refs handed superbowl xl to Pitt. Seattle was totally screwed over. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Super Bowl X is a great one to have as your first. I remember it being on, but not paying much attention to it, other than Swann's catches.

Oddly enough, the thing that got me into the NFL (and the Super Bowl) was some commemorative SB magazines that McDonald's put out in 1977*:

image.thumb.png.8c602651a81d501cbbed88236aa4b55f.png

* Which I just found on Ebay for $15, and bought.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Travis was the one who was kicked off of his college team for an entire year for failing a drug test before a bowl game. (Just marijuana, but still)

Of the two, Travis is usually seen as the wilder one. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

The first one I really remember was SB III.   Big discussions in seventh-grade math class before the game, led by the teacher, Mr. Eardley.

The next year I was much more into football and more well-informed.  SI had done a cover story on Joe Kapp, and of course that was the SI jinx for Minnesota.

• Like 2

I need for someone to be more specific as to the officials' involvement on a couple of plays.  To be specific, allowing a guy named Parker run for 75 yards for a TD, and then non-regular QB Antwaan Randle El passing for a final one

• Like 1

Patrick Mahomes getting labeled as not being able to beat the Patriots when Brady was there is annoying, because, and I know this is only one game, the defense was entirely responsible for that one loss at Arrowhead.  Brady was intercepted!  And it was called back!  Nothing to do with Patrick!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

The first one I remember was Super Bowl XXI, and the only ones I've missed since were SB XLIII (I had just moved to Sydney for four months and had no idea when it was on or any desire to watch Rapistberger win another ring), SB 50 (I was in Venice for Carnevale and didn't care because I wanted both teams to lose and because, again, I was in Venice for Carnevale – way more exciting!), and yesterday.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Patrick Mahomes getting labeled as not being able to beat the Patriots when Brady was there is annoying, because, and I know this is only one game, the defense was entirely responsible for that one loss at Arrowhead.  Brady was intercepted!  And it was called back!  Nothing to do with Patrick!

He's also behind (forever so, in the minds of some) because he lost to Brady and the Bucs in the Super Bowl.   And it's not like he had a masterful performance either.

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I need for someone to be more specific as to the officials' involvement on a couple of plays.  To be specific, allowing a guy named Parker run for 75 yards for a TD, and then non-regular QB Antwaan Randle El passing for a final one

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

I'm pretty sure you remember all of this, it was a pretty big deal at the time.  The general consensus was that Seattle got screwed by the refs a few times.  Unless of course you were asking Pittsburgh fans.

30 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

He's also behind (forever so, in the minds of some) because he lost to Brady and the Bucs in the Super Bowl.   And it's not like he had a masterful performance either.

Ugh.  That Super Bowl sucked and Mahomes lost like all his offensive linemen and then some.

• Applause 2
30 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

I'm pretty sure you remember all of this, it was a pretty big deal at the time.  The general consensus was that Seattle got screwed by the refs a few times.  Unless of course you were asking Pittsburgh fans.

Unless you're a Pittsburgh fan, of course the consensus was that the refs, not the Steelers, won Super Bowl 40.  That is fair enough.  I guess I'd call it a make up result for what should have been the season long outcome in 2001 and in 2004 (not so much the latter TBF).  If you'd ask at least several Pittsburgh fans, the one for the thumb should have occurred before Season 86.

OTOH, if I'm being kind, I'd say it was a make up from the 2000 season, specifically a make up call (and then some) from that nonsense against Philadelphia at Three Rivers Stadium.

8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ugh.  That Super Bowl sucked and Mahomes lost like all his offensive linemen and then some.

Plus, Patrick was banged up.  Apart from the concussion early on, his ankle was not good in that game

11 hours ago, cmahorror said:

The first half was bad but that second half and OT were great. I enjoy the game more when it is close.

For all the complaining about Taylor being onscreen, "the 34-year-old singer/songwriter was on all of 55 seconds (51 seconds before the game-winning touchdown) out of a broadcast that took about four hours and 18 minutes to complete. This is counting her sightings from kickoff until the game went final." USA Today

That was still 50 seconds too long.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1