Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Meh.  I'm okay with it, but not completely.  I will have to read the article to have a better opinion about it, but a couple of things. 

I'm not a fan of an odd number of games.  They probably should've either stayed at 16 games or gone up to 18 from the get go.  The other thing, and this is where I'd feel as pleasant as you were with the news, mojoween.  The NFL might have to showcase Taylor Swift for the rest of my life & beyond.  To get to the point, if the league takes the lazy route where the structure stays the same, and the only difference being things get pushed up a week, many people are going to find something else to do.

Not everybody of course, but a rather significant number of people.  So my TS mention was made due to the fact that the league will find a way to create newer viewers.  Which isn't something I care about since it wouldn't have anything to do with the game itself.

So without looking, I'd probably wager this is something the NFL would like to get done before the 2025 season.  FWIW, without a change in the schedule, the Valentine's Day 2027 conflict is still present

If the NFL owners and fans truly cared about player safety then the league would have turned to flag football a long time ago.  Since that's never going to happen, as long as the ratings and revenue stay good then they'll just keep pushing.  The Thursday night game is often an abomination, but plenty of people are still happy to watch because crappy football is better than no football at all.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
18 hours ago, baldryanr said:

The Thursday night game is often an abomination, but plenty of people are still happy to watch because crappy football is better than no football at all.

This is true but up to a point.  If there is a crappy game on Sunday or Monday night I will probably watch at least the first half. But if Thursday's game is crappy I'm not watching it and that is because it's on Prime.  It's one thing to simply change the channel to the game but it's a whole other thing to stream it.  Mostly because games on Prime have almost always been plagued by glitches. At least for me. 

• Like 2

I watched the Kelce documentary during the playoffs, and he talked about what horrible condition his body is in for a man his age.  His wife said she wanted him to retire when he can still get up and down to play with their kids.  It's time; he pushed it one more year hoping for another SB, but having seen that film I knew he wasn't going to push it yet another year when that didn't pan out.

• Like 5

I thought the decision had already been announced soon after Philadelphia's game against Tampa Bay.  Of course, when I recently visited Wikipedia's 2024 NFL page, Matthew Slater was the only big name amongst the retirees.  Which wasn't a big thing since the decision was made since Day One of the past season, as mentioned.

The guy is going to be among the NFL players that get a special day in Canton Ohio sometime in the summer of 2029.  You got the ring, the title, a lot of money, and most important, a spouse & children.  It's best to bolt a year early than a year late.  While the latter might've been the case, better late than never

• Like 5

I think JJ Watt and Jason Kelce are smart. Retire before existing injuries get worse, any new catastrophic injuries happen, and they are still young and healthy enough to enjoy life with their families. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, voiceover said:

Jason Kelce.  “That’s it.  That’s the tweet.”

I wept more during George Brett’s retirement speech, but not by much.

Classy guy, he earned his retirement.

16 minutes ago, Carey said:

I guess it'll be nice for Russell Wilson to get paid by two people

Some team is definitely picking him up, Steelers maybe?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Some team is definitely picking him up, Steelers maybe?

That's doubtful, but in terms of the chances of ending up in Pittsburgh, I hope so.  The hope is what it is mainly due to the another option of Justin Fields as it relates to the Steelers seeking another QB in Free Agency.  I'd rather stick with Kenny & Mason instead of going with Fields; none of the 3 are going to result in a Lombardi hoisting.  However, I think I've seen (more than) enough from the Chicago QB, and I don't feel like watching 2 consecutive QB busts from the Bears waste away seasons, which result in decent defensive players having to try again a year older than their most recent attempt at success.

Russ is the best available, and it shouldn't cost much to get him.  From what I saw elsewhere, Denver gets to write off whatever Wilson signs up for.  So if he gets a $5 Million deal, then that's $5,000,000 less the Broncos would have to worry about.  IDK.  On one hand, Pittsburgh is cheap so knowing Russell will be fine financially shouldn't be an issue if he wants to go there.  On the other hand, he's probably going to want to go to where he can succeed.  While I wouldn't bet on him winning another Super Bowl right now, I hardly think he would want to have anything to do with AFC North, let alone the AFC.  There's nothing on the offensive side of the ball that shows "winning" for Russ as a Steeler.  Then there's the NFC.  There's nobody there.  It only takes one game, but it's pretty much San Francisco and nobody else.  Speaking of which...meh.  They'll probably go with Purdy but Russ despite being 35 is an upgrade IMO.  Other than the NFC Champions, it's wide open in the that conference.  Philly probably takes a big step back; Detroit should be better, same with Green Bay, and it might be curtains for Dallas.

So, it's a no for Russell with the Black & Gold.  Things are not as attractive as they were in the past.  Their PBP guy just called it quits last week.  Of course, 83 isn't young believe it or not, but Pittsburgh is miles away from the title.  However, it'll be very interesting over the next couple of weeks on that outcome.  That's for sure!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Carey said:

The hope is what it is mainly due to the another option of Justin Fields as it relates to the Steelers seeking another QB in Free Agency.  I'd rather stick with Kenny & Mason instead of going with Fields; none of the 3 are going to result in a Lombardi hoisting.  However, I think I've seen (more than) enough from the Chicago QB, and I don't feel like watching 2 consecutive QB busts from the Bears waste away seasons,

1) I don't think Fields is a bust.  Is he a top tier QB?  No.  But he's not a Zach Wilson either.  He's certainly an upgrade over Pickett, Trubisky & Rudolph.

2)  Omar has already stated they're sticking with Pickett.  I'm sure they'll try and pick up a cheap back up to give Rudolph some competition, but not a starter.

3)  I foresee any QB going to CHI right now at a disadvantage offensively.

4)  There's no guarantee ANY of the 2024 class will be generational.  Remember the hype over Kyler, Trevor, Bryce?  Has any of them really panned out as future stars?

On another note, Fields definitely has more upside than Russell Wilson.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, roamyn said:

1) I don't think Fields is a bust.  Is he a top tier QB?  No.  But he's not a Zach Wilson either.  He's certainly an upgrade over Pickett, Trubisky & Rudolph.

2)  Omar has already stated they're sticking with Pickett.  I'm sure they'll try and pick up a cheap back up to give Rudolph some competition, but not a starter.

3)  I foresee any QB going to CHI right now at a disadvantage offensively.

4)  There's no guarantee ANY of the 2024 class will be generational.  Remember the hype over Kyler, Trevor, Bryce?  Has any of them really panned out as future stars?

On another note, Fields definitely has more upside than Russell Wilson.

There are about 3 things that favor Fields.  He's younger, bigger, and stronger.  That's it.  Otherwise, I would have seen better numbers in 2023.

That being said, I don't think Justin is a bust either.  If I hinted at that, my apologies.  If I said that, then I'm sorry for it, as it's too soon to know what Fields will become.  However, I'll double down in thinking that he's not going to be great.  Very good?  Maybe.  As mentioned, anyone in Chicago isn't going to make it there, but it's still within the weaker NFC.  There was enough for the Bears to be better while the conference was anything but terrific.

While Justin Fields is a better option than whatever the Steelers have currently, I don't think it'll work in Pittsburgh.  That is not a culture that thrives offensively.  Maybe that sounds harsh, but I do not have any faith in Arthur Smith.  I so cannot see him being the guy, with enough to take full control on his side of the ball.  Nobody's running things over Coach Mike defensively.  Maybe if that's the case, he can double efforts there and leave the offensive guy alone.

Omar Khan actually praised Kenny Pickett.  Unless he said it 24 hours ago, he didn't dismiss QB competition.  Pittsburgh wants Rudolph back, but I don't know if Mason would return if he gets a shot elsewhere.  Even as a backup.  It'll get ugly if he returns for a 7th season without a true shot to be the starter.

Finally, while Russ would cost nothing & would love to go to a team with a winning history, I probably think there are better options for him.  A big thing is the Steelers are loyal to a fault.  No way Russ can tell who's starting.  He might get messed with & comes off the bench so to speak.  

While there's no absolute commitment to Pickett, I don't think I see anyone other than Kenny starting in 2024.  If Art and Mike want to do something else, then that'll happen regardless of what Khan wants.

Gotta agree about eh 2024 class.  I don't know or think it'll be as decent as 1983 or 2004, but the chance is there.  Part of the issue is where the QB's land

• Like 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Carey said:

Finally, while Russ would cost nothing & would love to go to a team with a winning history, I probably think there are better options for him.  A big thing is the Steelers are loyal to a fault.

Yeah, I should’ve clarified that Wilson has a lot of potential due to his contract situation, but Fields is younger, and has the benefit of being taller and faster.  But I don’t think Russ’d be a good fit for blue-collar Pittsburgh personality wise.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1

A lot of people are thinking Russ to PGH is the side.  After all these years, I've learned that the more something is said & predicted the better chance of that thing not taking place.

The guy would make them better, but ITA; things will spiral for sure within that locker room at some point or two during the season at the very least.  Furthermore, the long range in terms of the Steelers would be anything but spectacular since he's closer to the end unlike Kenny & Justin.

Fields would make sense but is nowhere near free.  If that's the call, then they would have to see what he can provide in 2024 (maybe 2025) before a decision to pay him takes place.

I honestly would prefer Tannehill over both Russell and Justin.  While Ryan and Wilson came into the league at the same time, the former actually performed under Arthur Smith.  If Ryan gets to Pittsburgh, it'll be fair enough to start Pickett since you'd have an actual veteran with something to provide as opposed to entry level.

I don't see the Steelers doing anything next year anyway, but if they stay put, that's not good.  It is possible that they miss on all FA QB's AND lose Mason Rudolph.  Then they'll be without a quarterback.  They're not getting the "big name" QB's as they're in their annual spot of being in the worst draft spot/area.  Meaning they haven't won big, glorified January games but while losing a lot they didn't lose enough either.

Anyway, standing pat isn't a great option since they'd "reach" or whatever for a 2nd/3rd round QB, make that decision, and spend 4-5 years spinning it as someone having potential in lieu of admitting a mistake

1 hour ago, Carey said:

I honestly would prefer Tannehill

If Tannehill could be like Charlie Batch as a backup I would be all for it. But Kenny isn't Big Ben.  So.....

1 hour ago, Carey said:

They're not getting the "big name" QB's as they're in their annual spot of being in the worst draft spot/area.  Meaning they haven't won big, glorified January games but while losing a lot they didn't lose enough either.

Every fucking year.  We lose a lot of games and then towards the end of the season they start winning.  Not enough to really do anything but just enough to have us drafting mid round.  Am I correct in thinking Troy is the last player we traded up for?

Is this real?
The Buffalo Bills just dropped three of their best players...in an attempt at cutting salaries.
Hey...maybe the Pats can pick them up. 😃

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Every fucking year.  We lose a lot of games and then towards the end of the season they start winning.  Not enough to really do anything but just enough to have us drafting mid round.  Am I correct in thinking Troy is the last player we traded up for?

Pittsburgh traded up for Devin Bush over a decade and a half since Troy, and one season before giving up their first round pick (both rarities for the Steelers).  They hardly take risks, though some often talk like they do.  Things didn't work out for Devin, so Troy was the last one they traded up for that meant something to the organization.

Yep, 2013 & 2022 are years where PIT was a 4-win team disguised as a 500 teams (think I have that right).  Of course, in years where they start strong, they crumble toward mediocrity, so I guess those 2012 & 2018 teams were 500 teams disguised as 4-win teams.  What's comical is that both scenarios occurred in 2019 & this past season.  Losing 3 games at the end to be 8-8 is one thing, but doing so after 1-4 is outstanding.  Plus vexatious since it looks like someone is actually trying their best to be average.  Still not thrilled about a chance to be the one seed (or draft high).  Turn out it didn't matter since Baltimore held on, and furthermore, Kansas City wasn't horrible at all

Tannehill might end up playing actual games since Kenny somehow manages to get hurt a lot.  A bigger concern is the defense whenever TJ Watt doesn't play.  All the money on that side; they have to be better.  Usually great players make those around them better.  A big reason why I didn't have a problem with Garrett winning the DPOY award.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:45 AM, grommit2 said:

Is this real?
The Buffalo Bills just dropped three of their best players...in an attempt at cutting salaries.
Hey...maybe the Pats can pick them up. 😃

The Bills this week:

And then when you thought they were done....

• LOL 3

They didn’t really have a choice since they were extremely over the salary cap. I guess they will rely even more on Josh Allen running for his life next year. Blow to their defense but maybe someone cheaper will step up. 

• Useful 1

We'll see when Free Agency hits (along with the Draft of course).  Not sure Buffalo can be the team of what was once New England's division if they think a 28-year old is going to single-handedly win for them.  TBH, they're blessed that a certain someone didn't suit up opposite him over the past several years.

On a different note, there's no point in wondering why people dislike a rather decent human being, corny or not.  That's just me, but I'm a fan of winning before being a fan of one's emotions.  Furthermore, it's a lot easier to write the story of the National Football League without people like Daniel Jones & Kenny Pickett than it is about Russell Wilson.

No matter one's love or hate over a team, but there was a saying from a guy out West that emphasized on just winning.  That is forever a great point in the sport

The signing Von Miller to a huge contract and having him completely crater last year must be the most bitter pill for Buffalo fans. He was supposed to help put the Bills over the top against the Chiefs but now he’s the major reason for the roster blow up. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The signing Von Miller to a huge contract and having him completely crater last year must be the most bitter pill for Buffalo fans. He was supposed to help put the Bills over the top against the Chiefs but now he’s the major reason for the roster blow up. 

He just restructured his contract to give the Bills more breathing room.

Plus, he was coming off of an injury.  Probably wasn't the plan to have him doing too much; Milano went down.  We'll see what happens to those two going forward.  Still, it's not going to matter unless the offensive finds more ways to succeed

I simply could not have borne another season of trolling-on-X by 95.

It. Over.  We signed him <huuuuge sigh>

I’ve loved Chris Jones since he was a rookie — he was a total goofball in those days and funny AF.  

Glad you got your bag, CJ!!!  Now I can unclench.

• Like 1

While several teams including a certain one hate to admit their mistakes as much as adopting recommendations from the outside, at least New England realized theirs before it became too late.

While refreshing for another source on the Mac Jones Trade, might as well make the 2029 Hall of Fame summer season Philly themed.

With Fletcher Cox calling it quits, Chris Jones getting a nice deal, and the Pats needing a QB, here comes the season of Free Agency!

I think Russell Wilson to the Squeelers is a bad fit.

Russ & Cierra do not strike me as down-to-earth blue collar types.  Personality wise, it doesn’t match.  But at least they got him cheap

• Like 1
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

I think Russell Wilson to the Squeelers is a bad fit.

It's not a great fit, but you need a quarterback in the NFL.  Otherwise, you might as well exit the league and maybe head toward the UFL.

If it costs anything more than a vet minimum, then the criticism would have been who Pittsburgh hired as their offensive coach.  And that still remains an underwhelming hire

39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Fucking hell, Philadelphia!  HOW DARE YOU.

I thought about it for a bit, and I'm over it. 

The report says there are around $3M of incentives per year over the $12.5M per year of salary. Saquon has a lot of confidence in his ability.  Unfortunately for him, he's writing checks his durability can't cash.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Cousins is headed to the ATL. 

For $180 million, of which $90 to 100 million is guaranteed.  For Kirk Cousins, a guy who will be 36 years old at the start of the season and only 10 months removed from tearing his Achilles.  NFL money really is crazy, isn't it.  However, he will have a really good o-line in front of him in Atlanta, plus they've used high picks on the offense in recent years.  

54 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I thought about it for a bit, and I'm over it. 

The report says there are around $3M of incentives per year over the $12.5M per year of salary. Saquon has a lot of confidence in his ability.  Unfortunately for him, he's writing checks his durability can't cash.

The Packers are cutting Aaron Jones, since they couldn't come to agreement on a reworking of his contract.  The Giants can take a look at him - like Barkley, great when healthy, but a lot of questions about his durability.  As a Packers fan, I'm very sad to see Jones go, since he could make such a difference when healthy, and off the field he is a great guy.  Jones always seems to have his best games against the Cowboys, so maybe he should go to a team that will play Dallas twice.  

• Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fucking hell, Philadelphia!  HOW DARE YOU.

It could of been much worse. He could of signed with the Cowboys.

3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Cousins is headed to the ATL. 

That is going to have failure written all over it. He couldn't make the Vikings better, much less win a Playoff game with them. What makes you think that Kirk Cousins is going to make the Falcons relevant again, much less respectable (as if)?

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
(edited)

Cleveland signing Jameis Winston to be DeShaun Watson’s backup is, in the absolute grossest way possible, hilarious.  Has a team ever shown this level of depravity before?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Angry 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Cleveland signing Jameis Winston to be DeShaun Watson’s backup is, in the absolute grossest way possible, hilarious.  Has a team ever shown this level of depravity before?

The fact is, you cannot spell Jameis Winston without "EW"

Edited by Carey
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I would've said this is unbelievable...but it's completely believable.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I actually think that's a fun signing.  All of the teams in that division have to think they have a shot at winning the division, so they all need to make moves.  Ravens adding that guy to an already difficult to deal with running attack. Steelers taking a crack with a legitimate starting NFL QB. Browns doing Browns things.

And Cincinnati pretty much thinking, "we get Burrow back, and we'll be fine."

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'm cool with the direction the Giants went this year. They did exactly what I thought they should do, and that was add a legitimate starting guard and a slightly older veteran lineman who could play tackle if necessary.

They stayed true to positional value and let somebody pay A LOT for Barkley and unfortunately starting safety McKinney. But $30M for a RB and a S is not good allocation of resources. Especially when you gave up eighty-million sacks last year and could send some money towards that problem.

And then they essentially took the same compensation (R2 and R5 picks) they got from Seattle for Leonard Williams, and exchanged that for a young and very talented Edge rusher.  Didn't see that one coming, but it makes a lot of sense.

I assume they'll free up a little more money when Waller decides if he wants to take the pay cut the Giants obviously asked him to take or retire. They'll likely turn that around and spend it on some DB help. 

• Like 1