Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Alex Smith officially cleared for football activities.   But if you see the pictures of his family celebrating, you can clearly see he is wearing some sort of stabilizer/brace on his ENTIRE leg, like from his toes to his hip.   To me that does not scream "ready to get under center."    It's great he has healed up and can walk again, but if I were his wife I would be seriously questionining whether he really needs to play football again.

• Love 4

On the new ESPN Radio morning show, they keep mentioning that Keyshawn Johnson is a Super Bowl champion, but have failed to mention which team that was with.  I can’t imagine why!

On 8/16/2020 at 8:03 AM, merylinkid said:

Alex Smith officially cleared for football activities.   But if you see the pictures of his family celebrating, you can clearly see he is wearing some sort of stabilizer/brace on his ENTIRE leg, like from his toes to his hip.   To me that does not scream "ready to get under center."    It's great he has healed up and can walk again, but if I were his wife I would be seriously questionining whether he really needs to play football again.

Oh I thought that was a compression sleeve to help with the grafts in his legs.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

On the new ESPN Radio morning show, they keep mentioning that Keyshawn Johnson is a Super Bowl champion, but have failed to mention which team that was with.  I can’t imagine why!

Oh I thought that was a compression sleeve to help with the grafts in his legs.

It might well be -- but still, if you need a compression sleeve still because of grafts, maybe you shouldn't be out there playing just yet.   But that's just me.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2020 at 5:03 AM, merylinkid said:

I honestly don't understand it either. Does he really want to risk some 300 lb. lineman falling on his leg? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

No there is not. I guess we typically just talk about it here. 

I went to go watch it, and I saw that it was Hard Knocks:  Los Angeles.  And was confused for a few seconds to see Anthony Lynn instead of Sean McVay.  After all this time, still don't have it burned in my brain that the Chargers are not in San Diego.

But then they have both the Rams and the Chargers.  First time they've had two teams on at the same time, I'm pretty sure.

Interesting how they are trying to reduce infection by moving many of their normally indoor facilities outdoors.  Which you can do in Southern California.  Don't know how well that would work in the burning furnace here in Phoenix.  Or cities with a lot of rain. 

Also funny to watch these macho guys who will gladly slam their bodies into the turf freaking out about having a swab placed in their nose and a tube of blood drawn. 

Not funny that the lab technicians who are getting up close and personal, over and over, don't seem to be wearing N95 respirators, only ordinary surgical masks.  And not funny at the suggestion face shields can substitute for masks.  They are substitutes for goggles, not masks.

Are we even sure at this late date if they're going to try to have a season?  The only way it could possibly work is setting up a bubble like the NHL and NBA, and that's not happening.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, meowmommy said:

.  First time they've had two teams on at the same time, I'm pretty sure.

before the Rams were in St. Louis, they were in LA.    During the 80s and into the 90s, the Raiders were also there.   Both teams eventually left.   LA was held out as a threat to teams wanting a new stadium by saying they would move there if they didn't get one.    To which people would point out -- they HAD 2 teams and couldn't keep them.   LA despite being a huge tv market really is not a pro football town.   The Rams which had great attendance in St. Louis is struggling and the Chargers which did not have great attendance in SD, cannot even fill a soccer stadium in LA.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

before the Rams were in St. Louis, they were in LA.    During the 80s and into the 90s, the Raiders were also there.   Both teams eventually left.   LA was held out as a threat to teams wanting a new stadium by saying they would move there if they didn't get one.    To which people would point out -- they HAD 2 teams and couldn't keep them.   LA despite being a huge tv market really is not a pro football town.   The Rams which had great attendance in St. Louis is struggling and the Chargers which did not have great attendance in SD, cannot even fill a soccer stadium in LA.   

I know the history.  My point was that Hard Knocks has never had two teams on at the same time.

NFL puts some teams on hold while looking into COVID-19 tests from New Jersey lab

After further tests, they think this is a lab error that produced false positives, but not good.

I really hope all of the sports leagues are providing data to public health authorities, epidemiologists etc.  They have multiple tests a week testing for everyone involved, retests for positive results, multiple types of tests used and fast return on results. There's got to be useful information on test effectiveness, false positives etc. there.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

It's time to give Dan Snyder the Jerry Richardson treatment.

Lewd cheerleader videos, sexist rules: Ex-employees decry Washington’s NFL team workplace

But interviews with more than 100 current and former employees and a review of internal company documents and other records show that, in his 21 years of ownership, Snyder has presided over an organization in which women say they have been marginalized, discriminated against and exploited. The employees also described an atmosphere in which bullying and demeaning behavior by management created a climate of fear that allowed abusive behavior to continue unchecked.

I never really understood the explanation that the other owners were tying to sell because of the team name considering they had no qualms about it when they bought in. This makes a lot more sense. Disgusting.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

It's time to give Dan Snyder the Jerry Richardson treatment.

Lewd cheerleader videos, sexist rules: Ex-employees decry Washington’s NFL team workplace

I never really understood the explanation that the other owners were tying to sell because of the team name considering they had no qualms about it when they bought in. This makes a lot more sense. Disgusting.

I was just coming here to say the exact same thing.  That pig has gotta GO.

• Love 7

No titles for Carolina with Jerry Richardson running thing for about a quarter of a century.  However, he has had some success during that period.  Really at least one trip to the NFC Title game in each decade.  Plus, Jerry's played the game

With Dan Snyder, yeah, he can go.  While it isn't great to "wish" for someone to lose his or her job or position, it would be kinda sad if he stuck around.  Unfortunately with so much going on he might sneak into next year, and possibly, that might be enough to survive indefinitely.  It's too soon to tell though, and the sponsors might hold the cards again with this case

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Carey said:

No titles for Carolina with Jerry Richardson running thing for about a quarter of a century.  However, he has had some success during that period.  Really at least one trip to the NFC Title game in each decade.  Plus, Jerry's played the game

With Dan Snyder, yeah, he can go.  While it isn't great to "wish" for someone to lose his or her job or position, it would be kinda sad if he stuck around.  Unfortunately with so much going on he might sneak into next year, and possibly, that might be enough to survive indefinitely.  It's too soon to tell though, and the sponsors might hold the cards again with this case

Dan has plenty of money to keep him company.    He would only be losing the prestige of being one of only 32 owners in the NFL.   His income and actual job would still exist.   

He made a statement where he claimed he didn't know about the most recent allegations and he vowed to be a more hands on owner.   1) how the hell do you not know about allegations INVOLVING YOU.   2) MORE hands on, yeah that's what WFC fans have been screaming for, suuuuuure."   Also poor choice of words on his part.

P.S.   Loyal Dallas fan, but I would still be saying these things even if I weren't.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Carey said:

With Dan Snyder, yeah, he can go.  While it isn't great to "wish" for someone to lose his or her job or position, it would be kinda sad if he stuck around. 

It would be worse than that. It would mean the continuation of an ownership regime that has allowed decades of sexual harassment and abuse. In my opinion, the "culture" he allowed in his organization is a clear cause for forcing him to sell. Just like Richardson.

Is there any coach who has faced the challenges that Ron Rivera has headed into this season? First it was the team name, then there was the first WP expose. Then Rivera is diagnosed with cancer. Then the second WP expose. And all of this during a pandemic and athletes taking unprecedented actions to protest racial injustice.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2020 at 1:57 PM, xaxat said:

Is there any coach who has faced the challenges that Ron Rivera has headed into this season? First it was the team name, then there was the first WP expose. Then Rivera is diagnosed with cancer. Then the second WP expose. And all of this during a pandemic and athletes taking unprecedented actions to protest racial injustice.

No I don't think so.  Doesn't help that he came from Carolina, though I guess it might in terms of how to survive and deal with WP nonsense

Jacksonville waiving Fournette is interesting for a bunch of reasons. Really interesting is that the HC said that they tried all spring and summer to trade him and couldn't get anything. Not a 5th round pick. Not a 6th round pick. Nothing.

I guess if you play WR, CB, or can sack the QB, you can bad-mouth the team all you want and somebody will give you a job. But if you are a RB and do it...

• Love 1

So I just saw a video of new Washington Football Team President Jason Wright today and if it were not absolute BLASPHEMY for me to even think it, he might cause me to switch teams.  Sorry to be so shallow but it’s his fault for being so damn good-looking.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I tried to get excited about the NHL playoffs, and probably would be invested had my team got on a roll. Baseball... they are a bunch of clowns.

But NFL football? I am 100% certain that I'll be watching this fall. They've done (as I expected, and predicted) a really good job keeping the COVID-19 problems under control. They're going to play a full season, even though I'm sure there will be moments where teams are going to be without a QB or half the offensive line for a couple weeks. The TV productions will probably be very similar to what I'm used to seeing. It'll be super weird without crowd noise, but welcome to 2020.

Plus, I've been following along with the NFL off season since well before the draft, having nothing better to do sports-wise, so I'm ready to see how things play out.  I'm Giants fan, and despite having the worst record in the league the last three years, I'm interested in seeing what they're going to put on the field this year. I like the coaching staff they've put together A LOT. I think Jason Garrett is going to be good for Daniel Jones. I think he'll be REALLY good for Saquon Barkley. They should be fun to watch on offense. Defense probably will still suck, but hey, you never know.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

It'll be super weird without crowd noise, but welcome to 2020.

The network has been piping in crowd noise for the NHL games, which is almost weirder than not having it at all.  So I expect they'll do the same for the NFL.

What's going to be weird will be the teams -- looking at you, Seattle and KC -- that place a lot of stock in their insanely loud home field advantage, and now won't be able to intimidate opposing QBs' signal-calling. 

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

They've done (as I expected, and predicted) a really good job keeping the COVID-19 problems under control.

I just don't know how they will be able to maintain it without playing in a bubble.  It didn't work for baseball, that's for sure.

We just got billed for this season's NFL Sunday Ticket (we get the freestanding version), and for the first time, I'm not sure if I want to keep it. 

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 1

I'm happy they've dodged bullets so far, but if say one defensive lineman stands in the wrong Starbucks line too long and catches the virus or rides a plane near someone asymptomatically infected, in a normal practice week he'll be up close and personal with his own position group, the OL, most of the skill players and other defensive players. I'd be shocked if there was very little impact this season. At least to the level of baseball so far.

I think it's going to be fascinating to see if this works or not. MLB was a disaster from the get go without a bubble and with very poor leadership and safety protocols. The NBA has worked well at keeping it Covid free, but I know a lot of the players are starting to get a little stir crazy being so confined and away from their families and friends for so long. Plus, I think they are going to start allowing one family member per player at some point, so I have no idea if they will be able to keep things as safe. 

I miss football so much (I'm more of a college football fan, but I do watch the NFL), but I don't want players getting sick and passing it along to entire teams. 

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

MLB was a disaster from the get go without a bubble and with very poor leadership and safety protocols.

I stand by my assessment that they are clowns. They spent so much time fighting over money, that it seems like actually putting into place and enforcing rules was an afterthought.

I do find myself to be a lot more optimistic about a successful NFL season than most people. There are FAR more players and staff in the NFL than in any other sport, and yet they've gone through a whole month or more of time together with very good results. 

Of course, it's my financial brain that makes me think they'll pull this off. The NFL owners and NFL players have salaries directly connected to revenue.  The players, ALL of the players, should be very aware of how important it is to their own future to complete a full season and get as much revenue collected as possible. On top of that, players' contracts are not guaranteed and careers are short. I have to believe the Players Association has preached all of this stuff to the players. It's incredibly important that they do everything in their power to avoid any situations where they are at risk.

On the other hand, I also realize that DeAndre Baker of the Giants had to be completely aware of what could happen to his career when he got himself in the situation he's in right now. So yeah. Not everybody does the right thing, regardless of the warnings.

• Love 2

One thing that's different about football is that teams usually have one game a week. I'm pretty sure they fly on charter planes, at least I'm pretty sure Vikings do. Most of the time they are in their own group. Baseball can be playing 3 different teams in one week and playing in 3 different locations,  which seems riskier. Plus baseball will play 2 -4 consecutive games in one location for away games, while football teams are usually away one night. 

Edited by Lamb18

Thursday Night.   the Countdown Begins.    Football begins.   I am not hopeful we get a full season in.   But I will take what we get for how long we get -- I hope everyone stays safe and there are no long term consequences.

• Love 5

Has anyone else seen the NFL on ESPN commercial where players, celebrities, and fans are singing along to that Celine Dion "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" song? I don't know how I've missed it until now but I just laughed until I cried. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

Has anyone else seen the NFL on ESPN commercial where players, celebrities, and fans are singing along to that Celine Dion "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" song? I don't know how I've missed it until now but I just laughed until I cried. 

I posted about that in the Commercials forum this morning; I love it, too.  (And it just came out yesterday, so you didn't miss it.)  Everyone featured lip synching was simply asked to record themselves doing so; the ad agency had do idea what they were going to get back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Popples said:

He really still wants to play, I just hope he stays safe and healthy and hopefully doesn't cause any further damage.

ESPN.com ran a story featuring his doctor who guided him through the recovery process. One thing she did was consult with military doctors who work to treat traumatic battlefield injuries and have to judge if the patient can safely be returned to service. So she took that experience into account when making her decision. In addition, I think the fact that the team added him to the roster indicates that they feel comfortable with his ability to protect himself in the pocket.

Could he suffer another major injury? Sure, football is dangerous, but it doesn't seem like it would be related to his first.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, emma675 said:

No!  I wanna see it!  Maybe they can show it sometime instead of the JJWatt, Subway in the back yard one.  Okay, that actually made me laugh. "What's in The Italian BMT? " "You come here every day."

Oops.  Should have finished reading.  THanks, Bastet.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, Lamb18 said:

One thing that's different about football is that teams usually have one game a week. I'm pretty sure they fly on charter planes, at least I'm pretty sure Vikings do. Most of the time they are in their own group. Baseball can be playing 3 different teams in one week and playing in 3 different locations,  which seams riskier. Plus baseball will play 2 -4 consecutive games in one location for away games, while football teams are usually away one night. 

NFL teams, like all the major sports leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL) all use charter flights for games - well some, especially this year, use bus or train for closer road games. Travel isn't the problem, the frequency of games isn't the problem, and the time away isn't the problem. The NFL has 32 teams, each with 53 players, plus coaches, trainers, and other support staff, plus game officials, stadium staff and more. Say that's in the neighborhood of 3,000 people. Unlike the NBA and NHL, they will all will be going home after games and practice. You have to hope that all of those people adhere to proper safety protocols while away from the team, aren't exposed, and pass it along to teammates. MLB has shown the chances of that plan being successful are low.

• Love 5

That commercial made me cry.    I hope beyond hope that they can play football safely so we can have a full season.  As Amy Trask would say "I'm going to watch that about eleventy bajillion times -- and hi."

As for Alex Smith, his salary is guaranteed for injury.   So keeping him was probably cheaper.

• Useful 3

They signed him to the practice squad.   Teams are stashing a lot of experienced players on the practice squad this year because of Covid.   That way they have someone who knows the playbook well who can step in if someone tests positive on Friday before a game.   If it gets close to the end of the season and things have shaken out okay safety wise, look to a lot of those players being put on the active rosters.

• Useful 1