Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I hope the panther statues get to stay.

Elle Duncan said when the crane lifted him away it looked like he was being summoned to his home planet and it would be ok for Richardson to go away forever.

• LOL 6

ESPN needs to drop the Brady hagiography and devote all of the documentary efforts for 2021 to The Year in Sports 2020. Between the global pandemic and protests, the word "unprecedented" almost feels like an understatement.

• Love 3

No one much liked Jerry Richardson, even, or maybe especially, the local fans.  So no one is mourning the loss of that statue. 

I in fact forget that statue was even there. 

I like Drew Brees, despite him beating my Colts in the Superbowl. 

But he should have just kept his mouth shut in all this.  Apology or not, it was too late. 

(edited)

Zeke seems to think it came from the medical community. Unless Grandma alerted the media and didn't tell him.  I suppose a friend could have sold him out for cash. Some friend. 🙄

Edited by Sew Sumi
(edited)
49 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Which, he knows better.  The doctor isn’t the one who told the media.

He claims his agent was contacted by the media who already had the story.  It doesn't have to be the doctor, though.  Someone working at the doctor's office or the ER where he was seen, a nurse or medical assistant working there, the person who took his test, the tech who ran it could've told someone.

In all cases, it would be a HIPAA violation and the person who did it would probably be faced with immediate termination.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6
On 6/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, meowmommy said:

Yeah, but at the rate we're going, we'd be looking at a blank screen for two hours...

From a competition standpoint, perhaps. But as to how this year changed sports. . .

You could easily do two hours on the week of March 11th when Rudy Gobert tested positive, and all of US sports shut down.

And two hours on the decision to delay the Olympics.

The decision by NASCAR to ban the traitor rag Confederate flag.

Athletes globally (Premier League, Bundesliga etc.) publicly supporting Black Lives Matter.

The story behind US leagues trying to restart (especially MLB).

And a bunch of other stories.

I would take any of that, and all of that over a Brady hagiography.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

In all cases, it would be a HIPAA violation and the person who did it would probably be faced with immediate termination.

You can go to jail for a HIPAA violation.  They take it seriously.

Even in pre-HIPAA days, violating patient confidentiality had consequences.  I worked in a hospital in the 1990s where after a juicy scandal, one participant ended up in the hospital.  Many people (not me, cuz I'm not an idiot) peeked at his electronic record, apparently not realizing the computers tracked access.  They were all canned.

12 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I would take any of that, and all of that over a Brady hagiography.

You and I might, but I don't know if the average sports fan wants that much serious news especially when there's no live sports to break it up.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He claims his agent was contacted by the media who already had the story.  It doesn't have to be the doctor, though.  Someone working at the doctor's office or the ER where he was seen, a nurse or medical assistant working there, the person who took his test, the tech who ran it could've told someone.

All that came out in the media was that several players had tested positive.   Zeke was outed by his own agent.   Who is NOT covered by HIPAA.   Now was the original story covered by HIPAA?   Maybe.   Depends on the source.    If players told their teams and someone on the team leaked it (not the team doctor or medical staff) then no.   I would bet that is what happened.   Someone on the teams told a friend in the media.    Happens all the time.   Zeke is pissed because he knows people will connect it to Dak Prescott's birthday party which should not have been held.

Texas is one of the states that opened waaaaay too early with no mask requirement.   They are having an explosion of cases so not surprised several on the teams got it.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

What the hell is up with Goodell's home office streaming setup? His company owns a television network for cryin' out loud.

Some of the college kids in the draft had better setups than he does.

• Love 3

Dan Snyder will NEVER change the name -- absent some major incentives.   It's too wrapped up in  his identity of being the Redskins' owner.   He grew up a Redskins fan..   changing the name would be taking away his childhood to him.   That is how he thinks.   Plus he is stubborn as all get out.   The more you pressure him to change the name, the more he digs in his heels.   The owners won't do the smart thing which is reward him to change the name because they don't like him.   They don't want him to "get" away with anything.   So no Super Bowl to DC IF he will change the name.   But that's about what it will take.   

On 6/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, meowmommy said:

You can go to jail for a HIPAA violation.  They take it seriously.

Even in pre-HIPAA days, violating patient confidentiality had consequences.  I worked in a hospital in the 1990s where after a juicy scandal, one participant ended up in the hospital.  Many people (not me, cuz I'm not an idiot) peeked at his electronic record, apparently not realizing the computers tracked access.  They were all canned.

You and I might, but I don't know if the average sports fan wants that much serious news especially when there's no live sports to break it up.

I second this.  Both termination and prison.  During orientation a long time ago, there was a story mentioned situation similar to this.  A celebrity gets surgery for something, and the fact that people need to know everything about a celebrity thought it was necessary to peek into something that, after time passed, served no purpose.  It was nothing but trouble and unemployment.  Basically we were told "Don't be those people!" and I really can't remember if it got worse to where the perpetrators couldn't keep quiet to where the news spread to where the celebrity would battle against the company for the violation.

As mentioned, I think it's a situation that doesn't violate HIPAA for Zeke.  Athletes and people in sports (or a higher profession) are held to different standards.  While HIPAA is HIPAA, I can't imagine someone losing everything over a positive test.  I'd be pissed if someone talked if I had COVID, but only because it didn't come from me

• Love 1

Hall of Fame game cancelled.   It's the right thing to do.   But damn.   It would have been old school this year -- Cowboys v. Steelers.   Reminders of the dynasties of the 1970.   Staubach, Bradshaw ....

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

The same teams will play next year, and I guess two classes of HOFers will be inducted.

Dallas and Pittsburgh are still scheduled to play this year

As a Panther fan and Cam Newton fan (though I have to admit his time was up and he probably just needs to retire. The Teddy Bridgewater signing makes me scratch my head) I’m glad he got signed to another team. His social media was all but throwing pity parties practically begging any team to sign him (that is if you can manage to read through his asinine symbols he uses is replace of actual letters). However as a life long Patriot hater this still won’t make me root for them. 

• Love 1
(edited)
38 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That's a link to the Cam Newton story; here's the one about the Patriots being sanctioned.

The NFLPA is not amused by the players continuing to hold workouts despite an advisory not to do so sent out last weekend by the union's medical director.

"I certainly understand how competitive our players are, and I get that," Smith told USA Today. "But at the same time, we are in the process of trying to negotiate, we have to negotiate with the league about what happens to a player if they test positive during the season. Does that player go on injured reserve? Do they go on short-term IR? If you test positive for the virus after training camp, is that a work-related injury? Are you covered under workers' comp? What benefits are available to you if you have downstream injuries from contracting COVID-19?

"All of the things that players may want to do during the offseason have a direct impact on how well we can negotiate protections for them once the season starts. We sent out the guidance because we think that was in their best health and safety interests. Let's just say for some of the players who have practiced, we've made sure that they've heard the message."

Here's the original interview:

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2

Cam was available to be signed by any team.   This is not a Belichek machination to put one over on the rest of the League.   Cam has been free for MONTHS to be signed.   If another team didn't pick him up before the Patriots did, that's on that team.   I just wonder how Cam's colorful style of dress is going to go over with Belichek.

Tom Brady needs to get over the "no days off" mindset.   Other QBs have figured out how to have virtual work outs with their receivers.   Tom needs to figure it out too so he doesn't endanger other player's health or their kids.   

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh well. I was hoping that Cam would sign somewhere and prove everyone wrong by having a good season, even if he is a weird ass a lot of the time. But for the Pats? I hope he ends up falling out with Belichick and ruining their season.

I do think a significant factor in a former MVP being available for so long was the borderline racism of NFL execs not wanting "a distraction" in their locker room (something they rarely seem to feel when it's a white player, like proven bully Incognito or party bro who hangs out with pro wrestlers, Gronkowski).

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, twoods said:

To the surprise of no one, the Patriots got a slap on the wrist for filming the Browns.

Losing a third round pick is a pretty substantial penalty. $1.1 million is nothing to sneeze at, but it's just money. The pick actually penalizes the football operations.

I have no emotion attached to the Patriots either pro or con. None. Having said that, I like the Cam Newton signing to the Patriots. It's a good thing for him. He's a really good football player who has lost a couple years to injury. I would like to see him get a chance to have a good 2021 and get his career back on track for another few years. Seems like the Patriots is a really good place for him to do that.  So from the player standpoint, I think it's great.

From the Patriots side, getting a really good quarterback to replace Brady obviously helps the team. But do we think the offense is now better than it was in 2019? I don't.  They had a great defense (like far better than I realized), excellent special teams, and a good but not great offense. I'm not seeing how they're going to be any better than they were last year and they were pretty clearly not the best team in the AFC. Or the second best team in the AFC.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Losing a third round pick is a pretty substantial penalty.

And by some convoluted FA rules, if something happens with Cam after the season...the Pats get a third round pick.

Shaaaaady.  All shady.

• Love 2

The worst part about Cam's signing is that it gives ESPN an excuse to go 24-7 on Pats coverage. If he would have ended up with the Bears or the Chargers the story would have been in their rear view mirror by now.

• Love 3
(edited)

Pretty weak responses, but more than they've done previously.  Pepsi still hasn't done anything. 

(When contacted by AdWeek for its article reporting on the investment firms calling on those three key sponsors to divest from racism by cutting ties with the team unless its slur of a name is replaced, FedEx was the only company to respond, but only to say it redirects any questions about the team name to Snyder.  Nike and Pepsi did nothing.  Then FedEx felt the social media heat and publicly called for a name change, and in response to that Nike seems to have pulled Washington gear from its website.  Still crickets from Pepsi.)

Edited by Bastet
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

FedEx has asked the Redskins to change their name

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/fedex-washington-redskins-team-name-change

and Nike has removed all Redskins gear from their website.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/nike-washington-redskins-apparel-team-name-change

Oh no, the money is being threatened! I wonder how long it will take Dan Snyder to swallow his ridiculously misplaced pride now?

Welcome to 2020, Washington Swamp Frogs.

• Love 7

One interesting thing about the timing is that it occurs only a week after the team went about scrubbing the presence of original owner George Preston Marshall from the institution's history because even they acknowledge he was a straight up racist.

Which kind of blows a whole in Snyder's "Hey, the name was intended as an honor!" argument.

(edited)
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Oh no, the money is being threatened! I wonder how long it will take Dan Snyder to swallow his ridiculously misplaced pride now?

Welcome to 2020, Washington Swamp Frogs.

Does Dan Snyder even have any pride in the first place? His team pretty much sucked for 20 years, yet he doesn't seem to be ashamed about it. He almost makes Jerry Jones respectable. At least, we don't see Dan Snyder's wretched face on a daily basis like we have to suffer through with Jerry Jones.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

Fedex is also a part owner of the Washington team.   Snyder is the majority owner.    If Fedex is finally calling for a name change that carries a little more weight than a sponsor pulling their name.   Fedex also has naming rights to the Stadium.    Also losing sponsors hurts his bottom line more than people not buying season tickets because his team sucks.

I always thought it would take positive incentive to get Snyder to change the name, but hey, if the carrot won't work I'm good with the stick.   If his wallet getting hit finally builds the momentum for the change, I'm good with it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

My favorite is the Washington Unindicted Co-Conspirates, especially as the way the team has been playing is criminal.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.   Don't forget to tip your server A LOT.

• LOL 9

Things might get even worse for the racist NFL fans, if DC becomes a state. One of the suggestions for its name would be the Commonwealth of Douglass (after Frederick Douglass) and to rename the city of Washington itself.

The Douglass Protesters, maybe?

In other Washington team news, apparently the 3 minority investors have been trying to sell their stakes in the team but with no success.   They want out not because of the name, but because being partners with Snyder absolutely sucks.   The no takes on the sale is probably because of the name PLUS working with Snyder.     THAT's why Fedex suddenly started pressuring Snyder to change the name.

• Useful 2