Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I'm ashamed to say I'd pretty much forgotten about Alex Smith, so it was a revelation to see just how serious his injury, resulting complications, and rehab were.  I don't know how much wasn't reported, and how much was that I just didn't pay attention to.

It's a good documentary; the medical procedures are fascinating (although, yeah, warning for the squeamish, but I am not among them, so I can't judge how likely some of the images are to be unbearable for some as I just don't respond that way), and the physical and emotional struggles are well represented. 

I guess I should save specific commentary for the show-specific thread, if there is one, but I'll say here it was touching to hear Smith not even think about football, just wondering if he'll ever again be able to get himself to the bathroom in the middle of the night, never mind play with his kids, and then to light up when he gets a football back in his hands.  I don't think for a minute he'll ever play again, but if he maintains the perspective he seems to have had all along, it doesn't hurt to dream.

Since, upon searching, I can't find such a thread, I'll go ahead and share a couple more thoughts:

As a Giants fan (not to mention as a person who doesn't think naming your team a racial slur and then digging in your heels over it decades later is a good idea), I am clearly not a Washington fan, but I'm now rather enamored of their team doctor.  She genuinely seems to care about the Smith family as people enduring horribly frightening circumstances, not just about the potential of a team asset.  

I'm surprised they didn't include more than that one brief comment from J.J. Watt.  The enduring image of Joe Theismann's injury for me is not his leg flopping around, but of LT frantically waving the training staff over and holding his helmet in the realization of what happened.  I would have liked to hear a little more from Watt about his feelings on inadvertently, via a completely clean play, annihilating an entire lower leg.

• Love 4

I had a really weird dream last night. I was an employee at an generic NFL style football team. 

Was I the GM, coach or star QB? Nope.

An anonymous tackle or coordinator? Nope.

I was the guy who wrote down the players' weights after they stepped on the scales during training camp weigh ins.

I miss sports.

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Dolphins were never my team, and Don Shula lived a good long life to 90, and I still teared up when hearing of his passing.

The Dolphins are team, so this is not the news I wanted to start the day with. But, he did live a long life, coached the only undefeated team, and made some good meals at his steakhouse.

• Love 4
On 5/3/2020 at 11:14 PM, Bastet said:

I'm ashamed to say I'd pretty much forgotten about Alex Smith

I think everyone had. Not much was said about him again after the injury until he turned up on the field last season, and even then the commentators were like, "great to see him" but never even mentioned what a horror he had been through. To his credit he just had his head down and was working hard. 

I'm sure there are a lot of stories like this for lesser known players. They get carted off the field and the fans give them some applause, and they are never seen or thought of again. It really is a blood sport. ...but I still love it.  

• Love 4

I remember when the other leagues were still talking about quarantining entire teams and staff in hotels to start the season off virus free. Someone (maybe on twitter?) said, "You can keep the players in, but good luck keeping the ladies out."

• LOL 6

I finally watched the Alex special and yeesh.  I am so squeamish and for his leg to go through THAT?  And he’s walking around and doing football workouts?  Good for him.

I had no idea it was 33 years to the day after Theismann.  That is surreal.  And for some reason, while I know he was picked before Rodgers because the media will not let me forget it, I always forget he was number 1.

Alex, watch out.  If Kristen Cavallari sees you acting so motivated and not lazy, she might come sniffing around.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 5/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, Sew Sumi said:

If the article is to be believed, an orgy with his brother in the bed, too, along with the other women... What a mess it all is. Nina for getting violent, Earl for sneaking off to have orgies during a pandemic and being a little too much into family togetherness.  Their poor kids!

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Dejana said:

If the article is to be believed, an orgy with his brother in the bed, too, along with the other women... What a mess it all is. Nina for getting violent, Earl for sneaking off to have orgies during a pandemic and being a little too much into family togetherness.  Their poor kids!

ESPN also picked up the story, but I was unable to link it. It's true that Nina was arrested, and the cheater walked. 

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

ESPN also picked up the story, but I was unable to link it. It's true that Nina was arrested, and the cheater walked. 

Apparently, Earl was in one bedroom and the brother was in a different room with another woman. Clandestine hookups when you are married with kids are still a bad idea in these times! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2020 at 4:24 PM, xaxat said:

I remember when the other leagues were still talking about quarantining entire teams and staff in hotels to start the season off virus free. Someone (maybe on twitter?) said, "You can keep the players in, but good luck keeping the ladies out."

Truer words have never been spoken!!

13 hours ago, Dejana said:

Apparently, Earl was in one bedroom and the brother was in a different room with another woman. Clandestine hookups when you are married with kids are still a bad idea in these times! 

well that makes it sooooooo much better.    Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

The Dallas Cowboys could fall in a pit of fire to never be heard from again and I would shed one single tear, but Dak seems like a good dude and it’s not his fault who drafted him.

So whose Cheerios did he piss in to have everyone turn on him?  Suddenly he’s not that great?  He should be worried about Andy Dalton taking his job if he doesn’t sign for whatever peanuts Jerry throws at him?

W.  T.  F.  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Dallas Cowboys could fall in a pit of fire to never be heard from again and I would shed one single tear, but Dak seems like a good dude and it’s not his fault who drafted him.

So whose Cheerios did he piss in to have everyone turn on him?  Suddenly he’s not that great?  He should be worried about Andy Dalton taking his job if he doesn’t sign for whatever peanuts Jerry throws at him?

W.  T.  F.  

Three guesses.   In what way --- besides winning a playoff game is Dak different from Tony Romo?   How is he different from every other Cowboy QB, except Quincy Carter?  Quincy Carter was cut rather quickly.   No other QB was asked to take a pay cut because being the Dallas Cowboy QB allows so many marketing opportunities you can make up the salary.

Another point, Jerruh likes to go directly to players to get a deal done that they tell the agent to accept.   Dak has said "talk to my agent."  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

So much for the Giants having a good offseason.  Dumb asshole is going to be catnip for content-starved sports media tomorrow.

Yeah he and his buddy on the Seahawks are at the party, everyone recognizes them so they rob them.   The third robber, who probably no one knows, is the only wear to wear a ski mask.   Real bright guys.

Oh and the getaway cars?   Lamborghini, Mercedes and BMW.   Because THOSE blend in real well.

Idiots all around.

• LOL 11
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Idiots all around.

Well, that was evident even before whatever the hell went on with the guns and jewelry, since instead of staying the fuck at home during a pandemic, they were partying (at least two within the span of several days) around the greater Miami area.

20 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I grew up in east Texas and know a few members of his family and let me say, this is pretty much par for the course. I haven't seen them in years, but they were really into making moonshine in their backyards when I was a teen. You can imagine how much that does for your liver and brain cells. 

• LOL 1

I was super invested in ESPN’s 10 part Michael Jordan documentary.

I cannot say “oh FUCK no” fast enough to ESPN’s 2021 nine part Tom Brady docuseries.

I am really looking forward to absolutely not watching the hell out of that trash.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

I cannot say “oh FUCK no” fast enough to ESPN’s 2021 nine part Tom Brady docuseries.

I am really looking forward to absolutely not watching the hell out of that trash.

But we'll learn so much! Like did you know he wasn't drafted 'til the 6th Round?!?

• LOL 8
23 hours ago, mojoween said:

I would stare at my wall for nine hours before I'd watch that.

Hell, I would watch Titanic, The English Patient, and Gone With the Wind back-to-back before I'd watch that.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4
On 5/21/2020 at 11:55 PM, mojoween said:

If it takes as many apparently accidental swipes at Brady as The Last Dance did at Jordan, it might be entertaining. But it's likely to be a worshipful paean to the wonders of Brady and his perfect dream existence.

God, I hope the Bucs fucking suck this year. Half the NFL media seem to be crowning them as genuine contenders without a single critical thought. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I rather be locked in a room full of bedbugs & skunks than watch the Tom Brady docuseries. He's not done playing yet, so I just don't see what is point of them doing it now instead of waiting 10 years from now. 

6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

God, I hope the Bucs fucking suck this year. Half the NFL media seem to be crowning them as genuine contenders without a single critical thought. 

I'm surprised that ESPN & those clowns on Undisputed haven't yet brought up the possibility of a Bucs - Cowboys NFC Championship game or Brady vs Rodgers in the NFC Championship game.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yeah, the Crime in Sports podcast did an episode on Leaf a couple of years ago and their words on his apparent turnaround and ascent to Redeemed Figure were 'let's just wait and see, shall we?'

Even if he's found guilty of this, I bet Leaf still turns up again on sports media TV before someone like Ray Rice does. It seems like certain guys get chance after chance, no matter how badly they screw up.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Really? I want the tea on what happened between Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, and also wonder if ESPN is really going to talk about deflategate.

I don't think the Belichick vs Brady stuff will be that juicy. Bill wanted to move Brady on and keep Garoppolo, because that was the better long term move, but Brady didn't like that and Kraft pulled rank to trade Garoppolo instead.

And once Brady's contract was up, I think Bill just decided it was better for the organisation to let a 42 year old QB walk, no matter what his record has been.

• Love 5

Brady's production company (because of course he has one) is making this hagiography documentary in conjunction with ESPN and Gotham Chopra's Religion of Sports; any tea spilled will keel in all but one direction.

(I understand ESPN gave Michael Jordan some measure of "creative control", and he still didn't come out smelling like a rose [I haven't watched it yet], but Tom Brady will be an executive producer.  That's a different ballgame.  And he's a different asshole.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Brady's production company (because of course he has one) is making this hagiography documentary in conjunction with ESPN and Gotham Chopra's Religion of Sports; any tea spilled will keel in all but one direction.

(I understand ESPN gave Michael Jordan some measure of "creative control", and he still didn't come out smelling like a rose [I haven't watched it yet], but Tom Brady will be an executive producer.  That's a different ballgame.  And he's a different asshole.)

Idk. Michael Jordan's documentary sat in the vault because he wouldn't sign the release to the video footage and the producer of that doc is his longtime friend. And if you watch The Last Dance he comes across like a total asshole.

I'm hoping the Brady docs will be of the 30 for 30 caliber. I adore the 30 for 30 docs even though some of them are hagiographic as well.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2020 at 8:56 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I would rather staple by own testicles to a live hornets nest while simultaneously having my eyes gouged out with a dull knife and listen to Gilbert Godfried recite the dictionary than suffer through a single moment of even a commercial for a 9 part Tom Brady superbowl miniseries. 

I'm still not sure how you feel about this, @DrSpaceman. 😉

• LOL 6

The paper yesterday had a story about The Match and there was a picture of Tom, and the caption said “Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady” and I had to read it twice because I could not figure out what team they were talking about and I thought the caption writer made a mistake.  I know they are technically correct, but it’s still weird.

• Love 3

Looks like the league is passing on 4th and 15 and the Sky Judge.  Meh on the Sky Judge, though I sorta wanted to see if a team down 3 possessions with 60 seconds left could win outright in regulation.  Personally I think it would've been great if the rules hit overtime where a team that won the toss could kick a FG, then convert 4th and 15 and that's it

I'll pass on the Brady documentary.  As mentioned, it's way too soon.  Yet it's totally unsurprising that ESPN would go for it so soon, and of course it had to be Tom.  Not sure I would watch it in 2040 either for several reasons but it's just one of those things where something so good like Jordan and the last dance is emulated to the point where an idea is run directly to the ground

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 3:55 PM, mojoween said:

I agree and I'm a Patriots fan originally from Boston. I like Tom, but I can't see a nine part series on him being particularly compelling. Also, the Patriots are a pretty sedate bunch in terms of personality. There isn't going to be any good drama, and the juicy stuff (Hernandez, deflate-gate, spy-gate) will either be treated with kid gloves or skipped over altogether. It'll basically be a nine-hour highlight reel, and there's already a bazillion of those on YouTube. Hard pass.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6