Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Not that giving up 10 points is bad but there were a few occasions I saw where the Bears could have got a stop and have up wide open 20+ yard completions where they could extend the drive and eat clock. 

This happens all the time though. The first two weeks are mostly garbage because no one plays in the preseason. You'd think teams wouldn't want to shit the bed in the first week. Especially a divisional game. 

11 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I am surprised so many keep pointing to the fact that Andrew Luck had a bad offensive line when he started as some sort of excuse.  Don’t most #1-drafted quarterbacks have to deal with a sieve for a line their first few years?  Nothing unique about Luck’s welcome to the NFL.

I think this was especially egregious with Luck. Manning and Aikman also were hammered in their first year but there was a development plan in place as hindsight ss shown. This is now like Carr with Houston who got sacked like 85 times a game for 50 years. And just because that's how it's been isn't really an excuse not to do better. You're drafting what you hope is a 10+ year player and investing tens of millions and then just let him get beat up just because. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm neither a Luck nor Colts fan, but what I found egregious was the continued unwillingness on Indy's part to draft some good offensive linemen. (Didn't they take a WR with the first pick for like 3-4 years in a row when they already had a very solid receiving corps and the line was awful?) It's not that Luck had a bad line his first season...it was that he had a horrific line for several seasons in a row and the organization consistently did nothing to address that fact. If you have a generational talent, you don't keep letting him take like 500 sacks a season. There is a reason Carr never did anything in Houston.

Now, I do think Luck is tapping out because he's more mentally/emotionally/psychologically done than he is physically done, but he wouldn't be mentally/emotionally/psychologically done if Indy had given him a better line and he hadn't suffered the crazy amount of injuries he's already gone through.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Finally back tonight

My Colts related Luck booing response got locked up twice, so I am late to that, but the fans had good reason for booing and it doesn't mean they don't like or appreciate Luck.  He is not being forced into retirement by injuries, like this is being portrayed.  He is just not into the game and choosing not to play any longer.  ANd that is his choice he can make, but he is leaving a team with legitimate SB aspirations and that was set to be a contender for the next 5-10 years with what they have in place in the organization.  Just walked away from it all. 

No Colts fan denies that the team around him sucked and the coach and GM did nothing to help him for his early career.  But last year the OL was great, the coaching and GM are now much improved and the team has more depth than it has had in over a decade.  His supposed calf injury has been lingering for months and it seems no doctor can find much wrong with it.  He just was done mentally, not physically. 

He could have been and was projected to be a HOF QB and he could still do that, decided he doesn't want to do that. 

Fans can be both, and are, both appreciative of what he has done but disappointed he is not staying to put the team over the top to win a title, which was very possible if he continued playing

And its a few boos, its not the end of the world.  Plus then yesterday Djokovic was booed at the US open because he couldn't finish a match due to a shoulder injury.  He physically couldn't finish in mid match and got booed.  In comparison I'd say indy fans aren't so bad

No.  Treating Luck's decision to retire as some sort of capricious act and then couching Colts' fans as the aggrieved party who were justified in throwing "a few boos" at him because he's now denying them a potential Super Bowl (which is apparently not happening until Tom Brady retires, sorry AFC) are back-asswards.  He was target practice for defensive linemen for years; god forbid he want to preserve his physical and, especially, mental health while he still can.  His health is not less important than the desire for Colts' fans to win a Super Bowl, and this whole reaction just makes Colts' fans look petty and gross.

And Djokovic was booed because he is a known quitter: he used to do it all the time in matches he was losing and claim injury after the fact.  It's such poor sportsmanship.  It seems like he is injured this time, but he's cried injury too many times to avoid the blowback.

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

No.  Treating Luck's decision to retire as some sort of capricious act and then couching Colts' fans as the aggrieved party who were justified in throwing "a few boos" at him because he's now denying them a potential Super Bowl (which is apparently not happening until Tom Brady retires, sorry AFC) are back-asswards.  He was target practice for defensive linemen for years; god forbid he want to preserve his physical and, especially, mental health while he still can.  His health is not less important than the desire for Colts' fans to win a Super Bowl, and this whole reaction just makes Colts' fans look petty and gross.

And Djokovic was booed because he is a known quitter: he used to do it all the time in matches he was losing and claim injury after the fact.  It's such poor sportsmanship.  It seems like he is injured this time, but he's cried injury too many times to avoid the blowback.

So its OK to boo Djokovic even though he was actually injured and trying to play, for several sets, even though that is an individual sport and not a team sport and he answers basically only to himself

But you can't boo Luck, even though he quit on the team two weeks before the start of the season, and really there is no immediately compelling physical injury or reason he has to physically retire right now, he has not even tried to play this preseason or this year, not even tried to practice?  His claim of a "calf injury" for months seems to be completely bogus and no doctor can seemingly even find anything wrong with his calf.  He has a great OL now and was sacked literally the least of any starting QB in the league last year.  he can blame his physical health if he wants, but the basic reason is he just has no mental desire to play anymore.  His shoulder is repaired.  His prior injuries are better.  He is free to stop playing, no one can force him to, but fans have a right to be upset under the circumstances.  This is not a situation where a doctor is telling him he has to retire or he risks serious permanent injury in the near future.  Nothing of the sort. 

And again, you can still appreciate what Luck did for the team AND be upset with his decision.  A few boos at such an expected decision does not mean the Colts fans hate him or are chastising him for everything he has done.  They are upset with this decision, rightfully so.  Plus the decision was completely unexpected and came from out of nowhere. 

Apparently all of this was accompanied by an emotional apology from AB to the team.

Last year, I remember a Steelers beat writer say that he was known as the King of Apologies by his team mates. Because he would do something stupid, apologize to the team, do something stupid a couple of months later, apologize to the team. . . rinse and repeat.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

If Gruden doesn’t suspend AB for a couple of games, then he’s throwing his hand picked GM under the bus.

How many of us can threaten our boss, and get away w/only an apology?

Back on yesterday’s shit game, I realize it’s the first game, but Nagy was terrible with the play calling (4th & 10, when you can even get a couple of 3rd & 1s!) and I’m sorry, but only rookies can be forgiven screwing up the play clock TWICE, and not knowing when to throw the ball away.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, roamyn said:

How many of us can threaten our boss, and get away w/only an apology?

How many of us are in the top five people in the world at what we do?

Talent gets breaks. In sports, business, entertainment etc.

Edited by xaxat
9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Is it wrong that my first thought is that the film clip was really well produced?

I thought the same thing.  But wow...now he’s throwing his only ally under the bus.

ETA:  according to ESPN, sources say Gruden is “amused” by the video.  He’s a f*g pussy.  (Sorry for the language, but that was the first thing that popped in my mind)

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 5

Gruden publicly said he thought it was awesome.   Where's Chuckie when we need him.

Remember last year when he filmed Tomlin?    He's known to do this stuff.   Yet everyone keeps going "he's so good, we need him on the field."   Guess what?    There are other good players out there too -- WHO WON'T DO THIS SHIT.   

I hate that the Raiders game starts at 10:30 ET on Monday.   I want to watch how badly he plays.   Remember he has barely practiced with the team.   I hope the Broncos hand the Raiders their asses.

• Love 2

Drew Rosenhaus has met his match.

Also, was the fine that voided Brown's guaranteed money a flex move by Mayock over Gruden? Because it sounds like Gruden was OK with everything AB had done.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Drew Rosenhaus has met his match.

Also, was the fine that voided Brown's guaranteed money a flex move by Mayock over Gruden? Because it sounds like Gruden was OK with everything AB had done.

I don’t know where Mr. Roamyn saw it, but he said the fine that AB received due to his threat, was $215K, and now AB says he won’t play on Monday and that ....wait for it....he’s the victim!

lol at Bill Belichick trending high on Twitter.

The way that Antonio has acted has been very unfortunate and he cost himself a lot of money. I do wonder where he may land now. I've seen people suggest not only the patriots, but teams like the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, (Superbowl contenders/teams that could go deep in the playoffs.) And also teams like the Seahawks/Cowboys. 

Edited by Jx223

If I'm a GM there is no way I would let him near a young QB.

It will be interesting. AB is still going to want his money, with a lot of it guaranteed. I don't see any team making that commitment. 

Seven of the top ten headlines on PFT are about Antonio Brown.

I wonder if Vince McMahon has given him a call?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I think the league will step in before that would happen. 

The Patriots' do need help at wide receiver.   That is for sure.  

That said, if players act out and know that they will be cut and immediately able to sign with another team, that creates a huge problem for the league.

Nothing's impossible, but the Pats are actually decent at WR now. Tight End is barren, though. Maybe just go back to a Run & Shoot Offense with cameo appearances by their FB and TE?

The greatest barrier to signing Brown would be cap space. If any team could handle him culturally, it's NE.

Back when Adam Gase sent away Jay Ajayi to Phillie in 2017, I laughed that his idea of discipline was to send players to a much, much better team. Raiders should've sent him to Arizona or Miami for nothing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Now watch he gets signed by the fucking Patriots. 🤬😡

I rather have him sign with the Cowboys. Antonio Brown & Jerry Jones deserve each other. Besides, it will be even more fun with him there watching the Cowboys crash & burn. Other than that, Antonio Brown can go away right now & ESPN can finally stop yapping about this idiot, like he is in Jerry Rice's status.

Frankly, I didn't see Antonio Brown getting kicked to the curb by the Raiders coming. Who knew that the Raiders had standards these days? They certainly have none when it comes to winning.

lol at Bill Belichick trending high on Twitter.

The way that Antonio has acted has been very unfortunate and he cost himself a lot of money. I do wonder where he may land now. I've seen people suggest not only the patriots, but teams like the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, (Superbowl contenders/teams that could go deep in the playoffs.) And also teams like the Seahawks/Cowboys. 

Any team that has Super Bowl aspirations will be smart to stay the hell away from him. Antonio Brown & Super Bowl do not go together.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Nothing's impossible, but the Pats are actually decent at WR now. Tight End is barren, though. Maybe just go back to a Run & Shoot Offense with cameo appearances by their FB and TE?

The greatest barrier to signing Brown would be cap space. If any team could handle him culturally, it's NE.

I don't know--given that the Pats already have to babysit Josh Gordon (who you just know is going to get high and therefore suspended again at some point this season), it's hard to imagine they would want to take on AB on top of that. Watch me be totally wrong on this, but I think the situation at WR would have to be a lot more dire for them to roll the dice on Brown. Especially since having him might stunt N'Keal Harry's growth once Harry returns.

I also can't imagine Brown would want to go to New England, tbh, even on a one-year deal. Even he can't be so oblivious as to think they would tolerate even 5% of his antics (...or can he be?).

Julio Jones signed a three year extension. $66 million all of it guaranteed. 

I guarantee you Brown wants that kind of deal.

I agree that Brown wants that kind of deal, but at this point, any team that gives him even a cent of guaranteed money is nuts. (Now watch my Pats do it, sigh.) It'll be very interesting to see if Brown has any suitors, and how he reacts if he doesn't have as many--or as many willing to pay big bucks--as he seems to be gambling.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So how much money does Antonio Brown actually walk away with from the Raiders after this short shit show?

From the Raiders $0.

However, part of that unguaranteed $ was from the Steelers.  So I think they’re still on the hook for that ($20M I’ve heard) if he signs w/another team.  But I’m not sure, since he as outright released.

A lot of people did correctly predict he would go to the patriots, though that was a really fast signing. He signed with them in about an hour after he became a free agent. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I hate this.   It's rewarding bad behavior.   What is going to stop some other disgruntled player from throwing temper tantrums until he is released in order to sign with a better team?   

He got terms done in an hour?    No way there weren't discussions about this before, despite the tampering rules.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm originally from Boston and a lifelong New England fan (don't throw tomatoes at me) so I'm not going to have to be talked down from the ledge, but damn. Was this AB's plan all along? If so, that's some seriously diabolical shit.

Former teammate LeGarrette Blount shared his playbook with him. 

I call it: “The Underground Railroad to Freedom”

• LOL 5