Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

(edited)

I can't change the past. But every time I see the Josh Norman/running with the bulls clip, I root for the bull.

ETA Must have been thinking about the Melvin Gordon news when I originally wrote that post.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Melvin Gordon is a Badger and therefore not an idiot.

He just wants to be paid.

Oh, ok.  I was asking because I didn't know anything about him.

Broncos open training camp THIS THURSDAY.   The Falcons open on Monday.

The other teams will follow.    They get to go first because their first preseason game is the Hall of Fame Game on AUGUST 1.    

Woohoo, offseason is almost over.

• Love 1

Odell.  Just because someone asks you a question, YOU DON’T HAVE TO ANSWER IT.  Just please.  Stop talking.

I admit I'm a little salty because the Giants had a brand looooooong before Odell and will continue with one long after him, even if Gettleman and Shurmur have no idea how to protect it.

• Love 3
(edited)

The nerve on Beckham to complain that the Giants didn't target him enough in that playoff loss to the Packers.  Beckham dropped one touchdown and dropped another pass that killed a drive.  This was on top of his "look at me!" posting of that pic down in Miami beach.  Beckham wasn't the only reason the Giants lost that playoff game but was definitely a big reason.  It certainly wasn't Eli...Eli played one of his better games with almost 300 yards passing.

The idea that the Giants "did him dirty" with that trade to the Browns is also ridiculous.  They traded him to a team that if they don't implode with all the egos will most likely be a playoff contender.  They traded him to a team with that has a QB that is a rising star and can scramble.  They traded him to a team that included Beckham's best friend and old wide receivers coach. 

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, benteen said:

The nerve on Beckham to complain

He's an interesting character. Immensely hard working, his teammates love him, and he has an intense desire to win. 

But he uses the word "I" an awful lot when it should be "we" when it comes to his explanations of why he behaves certain ways and what happened in games. 

As a Giants fan, the more he talks, the less I miss him. Also, the more he talks, the more I appreciate Barkley. 

• Love 2

I’m excited to have you Odell, but just shut up.  

At least the media isn’t as harsh in Cleveland.  Oh, I don’t see showboating in the FL pre-playoff picture, but he should’ve kept the trip quiet.

14 hours ago, roamyn said:

At least the media isn’t as harsh in Cleveland.  Oh, I don’t see showboating in the FL pre-playoff picture, but he should’ve kept the trip quiet.

Yeah, that was my issue.  I don't care what these guys do on their days off but after Tony Romo was photographed down in Mexico (was it Mexico?) before their playoff game with the Giants, players catch hell for this sort of thing and it ends up being a bad omen.  And Romo didn't even post a picture...it was a paparazzi shot.  Beckham didn't care...it was typical "ME ME ME" coming from him.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, roamyn said:

If you get a chance to see the games live, that's when it registers why he's so good. It's fun to watch him on TV, with the one hand grabs and such, but when you see him live, he's like electricity running through the field. His quickness just registers as different than everybody else. 

And if you do get to games, try to get one earlier in the year before he gets hurt. <- Giants fan missing him but not missing him.

And he's kind of a national media star at this point, so even if the local media loves him, he'll still find his way into the news.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2019 at 11:42 AM, JTMacc99 said:

He's an interesting character. Immensely hard working, his teammates love him, and he has an intense desire to win. 

But he uses the word "I" an awful lot when it should be "we" when it comes to his explanations of why he behaves certain ways and what happened in games. 

As a Giants fan, the more he talks, the less I miss him. Also, the more he talks, the more I appreciate Barkley. 

Odell reminds me of the prima donna wide receiver in those Budwiser commercials from a few years ago. A reporter tells the receiver, "Well, there's no 'I' in team." And the receiver says, "There ain't no 'we' either." 

• LOL 7
On 7/25/2019 at 11:42 AM, JTMacc99 said:

If you get a chance to see the games live, that's when it registers why he's so good. It's fun to watch him on TV, with the one hand grabs and such, but when you see him live, he's like electricity running through the field. His quickness just registers as different than everybody else. 

And if you do get to games, try to get one earlier in the year before he gets hurt. <- Giants fan missing him but not missing him.

And he's kind of a national media star at this point, so even if the local media loves him, he'll still find his way into the news.

I live in Raleigh, now, and have sworn to never go back to Cleveland in winter again (except for funerals).  They played Carolina last year, besides I’ve never been to Charlotte.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Giants WTF.

Shepard broken thumb.

Coleman ACL.

Tate drug suspension.

Is this karma for Gettleman for ditching Odell by text?

LMAO!  It’s karma for hiring Gettleman in the first place!

• Love 2
On 7/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, topanga said:

Odell reminds me of the prima donna wide receiver in those Budwiser commercials from a few years ago. A reporter tells the receiver, "Well, there's no 'I' in team." And the receiver says, "There ain't no 'we' either." 

LEON! I loved these commercials.

• LOL 5
On 7/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, mojoween said:

Giants WTF.

I am so tired of this being my attitude before the season even starts - and having it confirmed once it does.  (And, yes, I know there are other teams whose fans have had that as their annual reality for a lot longer, but that doesn't abate my own frustration.)

• Love 1

So!  Fun anecdote: a week and a half ago, Antonio Morrison, late of the Packers and Colts, beat the shit out of the boyfriend of one of my closest friends (a man barely half Morrison's size and the gentlest soul imaginable) for, I shit you not, just standing in front of him in line at the Hertz car rental office at the Minneapolis airport.  This assault occurred in front of his two kids and my friend, by the way.  Morrison was arrested and subsequently released on $3,000 bail, and the court date is scheduled for this week.  My friend's boyfriend had to go to the hospital to be treated and is still having slight peripheral vision issues in his left eye.

Even though he's not currently signed to a team, there are so many other signed players of whom incidents like this are true.  I hate that this type of shit is downplayed to the point of being celebrated by the head honchos since it somehow implies better "production" on the field or whatever the fuck.  It's getting harder and harder for me to be a football fan.

5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

So!  Fun anecdote: a week and a half ago, Antonio Morrison, late of the Packers and Colts, beat the shit out of the boyfriend of one of my closest friends (a man barely half Morrison's size and the gentlest soul imaginable) for, I shit you not, just standing in front of him in line at the Hertz car rental office at the Minneapolis airport.  This assault occurred in front of his two kids and my friend, by the way.  Morrison was arrested and subsequently released on $3,000 bail, and the court date is scheduled for this week.  My friend's boyfriend had to go to the hospital to be treated and is still having slight peripheral vision issues in his left eye.

Even though he's not currently signed to a team, there are so many other signed players of whom incidents like this are true.  I hate that this type of shit is downplayed to the point of being celebrated by the head honchos since it somehow implies better "production" on the field or whatever the fuck.  It's getting harder and harder for me to be a football fan.

I'm so sorry for your friend and boyfriend. 

And not to excuse Morrison's behavior at all, but could this be an early manifestation of CTE or some other cognitive damage? Or is he just an asshole, and football has turned him into a violent asshole? 

• Love 1
(edited)

Nuguy, I hope your friend and boyfriend are okay.

Interesting that I googled “Antonio Morrison arrest” and got several hits, none of which were this particular incident.  I guess he gets arrested enough that it is no longer news.  Topenga, I am guessing based on that search that your latter analysis is correct. One of the arrests was for barking at a police dog.  😳

Edited by Crs97

Yeah, Morrison is only 24, so I don't know that CTE is to blame.  It just seems that he's a violent, possibly mentally ill (I mean, the barking thing...) asshole.  Even though the beating was quite violent, it apparently only qualifies for the most minor category of assault in Minnesota (a Class V or Category V or something like that); given that and the fact that Morrison is unsigned, I'm sure news outlets are having a collective "meh" about it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Hall of Fame game is on tonight.    NBC.    NOW we can talk actual playing, not all the off field drama (hahahahahaha, I typed that with a straight face)

I am glad that football is back. I am looking forward to the game tonight. 

I wonder if Broncos backup Brett Rypien is Mark Rypien’s kid.

If so, then I can no longer deny that my twilight years are here, as the children of the athletes I grew up watching have fully invaded baseball and football.

• Love 2

Ken Griffey III (who goes by Trey Griffey) is trying to make the Steelers.

I remember watching his grandfather play baseball.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I wonder if Broncos backup Brett Rypien is Mark Rypien’s kid.

Mark is Brett's uncle, I remember the commentators mentioned it during one of the Boise State games I happened to catch.

^Thanks!

I loooooooooove Dan LeBatard, and this may be my seething anti-Ravens hatred showing, but Ed Reed is not a better safety than Ronnie Lott.

That said, Ed Reed’s t-shirt was powerful and I appreciate that he did it.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

That said, Ed Reed’s t-shirt was powerful and I appreciate that he did it.  

Highlight of the game for me.  But, I see you, NBC, staying on a close-up during Michele Tafoya's interview, instead of panning back out to the wide shot occasionally like happens in every other interview.

I'm watching the NFL HOF induction ceremony.  I thought the first inductee, Gil Brandt, would never shut up.  Of course, he's from Dallas so..........😒

Thankfully, the second one, Johnny Robinson, kept his speech short.

Congratulations to all of the inductees. 

I'm waiting for Tony Gonalez......😍

5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

That should be enough to feed his kids.

Heh!

Brady is in a unique spot, and has been for many years. Because his wife is so super-successful, he routinely leaves money on the table that any team including the Patriots would willingly pay him. By doing so, there is no question it's helped the team's (and therefore his own personal) success, as they can allocate money to other spots on the field.

I imagine that he might catch some grief from the player's association for doing so, but like I said, he's unique and probably is above such things. The player's association is unlikely to ever publicly criticize him and have probably long ago stopped encouraging him in private to stop taking less than he could get.

I'd guess that over time Brady probably has taken at least $50 million less than what he could have made. This two year extension alone probably underpays him $10 million per year based on what the highest QB salaries are these days and how he compares to those players.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2019 at 4:44 AM, mojoween said:

I loooooooooove Dan LeBatard, and this may be my seething anti-Ravens hatred showing, but Ed Reed is not a better safety than Ronnie Lott.

As a 49ers fan - them's fighting words!

And Hard Knocks is back - featuring the Raiders this year.

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Watching Hard Knocks now. I knew the kid from Last Chance U was a goner ten minutes in. If you're half-assing it the first day of camp, you're not going far. 

This is why I don't watch Last Chance U. The stories will inevitably have sad endings.

• Love 1

There's a guy on the Bills wearing number 32. I'm surprised that they haven't unofficially "retired" the number so the announcers don't have to mention OJ Simpson's name. 

On 8/7/2019 at 11:47 AM, meep.meep said:

As a 49ers fan - them's fighting words!

And Hard Knocks is back - featuring the Raiders this year.

I'm not a Hard Knocks viewer, but...

Prized Raiders acquisition Antonio Brown is currently AWOL as he's suffered some sort of foot injury from undergoing cryo-therapy wearing the improper form of footwear. From what I gather, he has some small amount of frostbite on his foot with an unknown timetable for return?

This... seems like interesting fodder for Hard Knocks.