Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I;'m always sort of relieved when injury-ridden NFL players get out early. After all the cases of CTE I think it's best to get out, do something else, before your brain and body are destroyed.

I follow Tom Brady on instagram and yesterday he posted a birthday tribute to his adorable son Jack who is a spitting image of him. It would be horrible if his kids grew up without a dad because Brady stayed in the NFL too long and wrecked his body and brain.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

Why did he wait until just before the season started, tho?

I hope that he’s okay.  The timing just seems shocking, and I imagine frustrating for Colts fans.

Indeed.  

We left the game at half time so it was on the way home we heard the news.  It was shocking but completely understandable since Andrew has gone from one painful injury to the next.  He hadn't practiced for weeks, or maybe not at all at camp.  His post game press conference was heartfelt and sincere.  I wish the best for him and his family.  

Still, the timing really sucks.

Jacoby Brissette is ok and Chad Kelly looked not terrible last night.  We'll have to accept our middle of the pack team.  Whatever.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

The faceless men on Twitter are just being jerks all over the place about both Andrew doing it and Schefty tweeting it and fuck all those assholes.

Just because Luck is rich doesn’t mean he needs to keep doing something that is both hurting him and something he does not enjoy.  And if Schefty didn’t tweet it, someone else would have.  If Andrew didn’t want it getting out, he wouldn’t have told a soul.

I say this as someone who stopped caring about Indy when Peyton left and someone who has never really liked Luck as a player.  But it was his decision to do what was best for him and it’s not up to ANYONE else to question it.  It’s awesome to see all the former and current players making cogent points defending him from the haters.

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The faceless men on Twitter are just being jerks all over the place about both Andrew doing it and Schefty tweeting it and fuck all those assholes.

Just because Luck is rich doesn’t mean he needs to keep doing something that is both hurting him and something he does not enjoy.  And if Schefty didn’t tweet it, someone else would have.  If Andrew didn’t want it getting out, he wouldn’t have told a soul.

I say this as someone who stopped caring about Indy when Peyton left and someone who has never really liked Luck as a player.  But it was his decision to do what was best for him and it’s not up to ANYONE else to question it.  It’s awesome to see all the former and current players making cogent points defending him from the haters.

Those people will, without hesitation, hold up someone like Luke Kuechley as an example of "what real commitment and toughness look like!" Despite the fact that Luke Kuechley is probably one concussion away from having a head full of scrambled eggs, and has no business being on a football field.

Football fans are some of the most entitled sports fans I've ever come across, because these guys are literally sacrificing their physical and mental health for entertainment, and they get criticised for it constantly.

And I'll say it more firmly now - if the Colts hadn't constructed their roster so idiotically in Luck's first couple of years, and had instead invested heavily in O-line to protect their once-in-a-generation QB, then maybe they wouldn't have destroyed his body in half the time it normally takes.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Seriously Fuck those asshole who think he's soft or whatever .  Also fuck anyone complaining about their fantasy teams because they are definitely more important than a mans mental and physical health.

How dare Luck retire on his own terms instead of playing till he can't walk anymore

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Football fans are some of the most entitled sports fans I've ever come across, because these guys are literally sacrificing their physical and mental health for entertainment, and they get criticised for it constantly

This is one reason why my interest in the NFL has waned considerably over the years. Are you not entertained? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Football fans are some of the most entitled sports fans I've ever come across, because these guys are literally sacrificing their physical and mental health for entertainment, and they get criticised for it constantly.

Not all of us football fans are that way, so I wouldn't generalize. 

17 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This is one reason why my interest in the NFL has waned considerably over the years. Are you not entertained? 

We do not relish seeing the players get hurt either.

• Love 3

Pagano and Grigson ruined what could have been a Hall of Fame career.   ALL they had to do was get an Oline for him.   He would still be playing.

I don't blame Luck one bit for getting out.   He and his wife are expecting their first child this year.   I am quite sure he wants to be able to hold his child and do things with the child without being in so much pain he either won't be able to or will pay for it with even more pain later.   Anyone calling him soft has clearly never played pro football.  But he still looks like a Leprachaun to me.

I kinda don't blame the Colts fans for booing in the moment.    They were most likely booing the situation, not Luck himself.    They were looking forward to going back to the playoffs and having a great season.    Then only 2 weeks before the start, he retires.    

The fantasy football guys who are bitching need to STFU though.   Who the hell cares you already drafted him?   Seriously, it's a fantasy game about a game.    It really really is not that important.   Especially not compared to another human being's long term health.   

• Love 12

That's really unfortunate for Luck. If he hadn't spent the bulk of his career running for his life behind that horrid o-line, things could've turned out so differently. I hope he's at peace with his decision and doesn't spend years thinking "what if?". 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

“I know I’m coaching for my job this year”

and

”Case Keenum is our starting quarterback”

are two diametrically opposed sentences.

Who else could he have named?  Dwayne Is clearly still learning, and you don’t want to destroy his body or confidence.  Colt may never come back.  Alex is done.

it seems like Dwayne is progressing nicely, so I could see him taking over 1/2 thru the season, if Colt doesn’t come back.

• Love 1
On 8/26/2019 at 6:01 AM, mojoween said:

“I know I’m coaching for my job this year”

and

”Case Keenum is our starting quarterback”

are two diametrically opposed sentences.

This cracks my shit up.  I am from Houston and have followed Case since his college years.  I really want him to do well.  HOWEVER....I now live in Washington DC and have been witnessing the Gruden shitshow for years.  He never seems to have a clear vision for the team.  He is quite passive and blames the players when things go wrong.  Sometimes in press conferences it seems like he didn't even watch his own game. I think they keep Gruden around because he can put up with Dan Snyder.  

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I find it amusing that Case Keenum is the starting QB for the Redskins and Kirk Cousins is the starting QB for the Vikings.   Why didn't they just keep the players they had?

Cut down day.    With some very interesting holdouts continuing.   Jadeveon Clowney for the Texans WAS going to sign his tender when he heard rumors the team was going to trade him.   Not sure why they are trading him.   Yes he's hurt, but then he's not worth much in trade now is he?   But when he can play, he can PLAY.    Then Ezekial Elliott of the Cowboys.   He needs to get his ass to camp.   His contract ain't even up until next year.   Play the Diva next year.   Finally Melvin Gordon.    Sure RBs are a dime a dozen these days.   But ain't nobody running to the Chargers.    Spanos needs to unclench his wallet and PAY the man.    It would win back a tiny bit of the good will he THREW AWAY when he took his football and went to LA.

Elliott was an idiot for turning down the contract the Cowboys offered him. He would've been the second highest paid RB behind Gurley, which is pretty damn generous considering all his off the field issues. He has no leverage in this situation. Whoever's advising him isn't doing a very good job. 

• Love 1
On 8/31/2019 at 9:23 AM, BitterApple said:

Elliott was an idiot for turning down the contract the Cowboys offered him. He would've been the second highest paid RB behind Gurley, which is pretty damn generous considering all his off the field issues. He has no leverage in this situation. Whoever's advising him isn't doing a very good job. 

I don’t know. The guy in charge down there has shown a tendency to spend now and worry about cap issues later. And with more potential big contracts coming at QB and WR, the people who told Elliott to get his money NOW were probably very shrewd. 

Also with Saquon Barkley potentially improving on his rookie season (!), it’s not a bad idea to go get yourself a new contact while you can still make the case that you’re the best RB in the division. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, catlover79 said:

That is something you could never accuse the Cleveland Browns of doing - since 1999, anyway.

But you can accuse them of making idiotic roster moves.  Maybe the Texans are the new Browns in that respect.

• Love 2

It took a while, but Ezekiel Elliott has finally got an extension from the Cowboys today. 6 yrs worth $90 Million, with $50 Million of that contract guaranteed. It makes Ezekiel Elliott the highest paying running back in the NFL. I hope that he really enjoys that contract extension because the Cowboys will still not win a Super Bowl in this upcoming season & those next 6 yrs in that new contract.

BTW, Jerry Jones & his brother Stephen Jones will be ringing the bell at the NYSE today. I'm sure that Jerry will be his usual irritating smug self.

Edited by Magog
2 minutes ago, Magog said:

BTW, Jerry Jones & his brother Stephen Jones will be ringing the bell at the NYSE today. I'm sure that Jerry will be his usual irritating self.

Stephen is Jerry's son.

Jerry would probably find a way to be irritating at a funeral.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Magog said:

It took a while, but Ezekiel Elliott has finally got an extension from the Cowboys today. 6 yrs worth $90 Million, with $50 Million of that contract guaranteed. It makes Ezekiel Elliott the highest paying running back in the NFL. I hope that he really enjoys that contract extension because the Cowboys will still not win a Super Bowl in this upcoming season & those next 6 yrs in that new contract.

BTW, Jerry Jones & his brother Stephen Jones will be ringing the bell at the NYSE today. I'm sure that Jerry will be his usual irritating smug self.

$90 mil with $50 mil guaranteed?

And he got to spend the whole training camp in Cabo.

Well done Mr. Elliott, well done indeed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

KICKOFF Night.    The 100th anniversary season of the NFL begins with two legendary teams the Packers v. the Bears.    At the very least, it will be entertaining.  

That really is the perfect match-up to start to the 100th anniversary season.

Good job NFL.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 4

I love the fact tonight is their 199th meeting which, if I am doing the math correctly, when they meet later this year, they will have played twice a year for every NFL season since its inception.  With conference realignments and addition and subtraction of teams that’s pretty consistent.

Now one thing I hope does not happen is Green Bay wearing those terrible yellow and blue throwbacks.

• Love 3

Finally back tonight

My Colts related Luck booing response got locked up twice, so I am late to that, but the fans had good reason for booing and it doesn't mean they don't like or appreciate Luck.  He is not being forced into retirement by injuries, like this is being portrayed.  He is just not into the game and choosing not to play any longer.  ANd that is his choice he can make, but he is leaving a team with legitimate SB aspirations and that was set to be a contender for the next 5-10 years with what they have in place in the organization.  Just walked away from it all. 

No Colts fan denies that the team around him sucked and the coach and GM did nothing to help him for his early career.  But last year the OL was great, the coaching and GM are now much improved and the team has more depth than it has had in over a decade.  His supposed calf injury has been lingering for months and it seems no doctor can find much wrong with it.  He just was done mentally, not physically. 

He could have been and was projected to be a HOF QB and he could still do that, decided he doesn't want to do that. 

Fans can be both, and are, both appreciative of what he has done but disappointed he is not staying to put the team over the top to win a title, which was very possible if he continued playing

And its a few boos, its not the end of the world.  Plus then yesterday Djokovic was booed at the US open because he couldn't finish a match due to a shoulder injury.  He physically couldn't finish in mid match and got booed.  In comparison I'd say indy fans aren't so bad

• Love 2

I am surprised so many keep pointing to the fact that Andrew Luck had a bad offensive line when he started as some sort of excuse.  Don’t most #1-drafted quarterbacks have to deal with a sieve for a line their first few years?  Nothing unique about Luck’s welcome to the NFL.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Popples said:

This is the first time I've ever seen 1st & 40!

You haven't watched any Raiders' games. Then again, why should anyone watch such garbage when there are much better things on TV or streaming?

• LOL 4

How could NBC give player of the game to Rodgers??  The clear MVP of the game, other than Amos and the entire Packers D, was punter JK Scott.  Time after time he flipped the field, especially his final punt. 

I'm a Packers fan and I didn't think there was much of a chance they would win this game.  I knew the Packers D would be improved (FAs coming in plus better drafting in last 2 years plus second year with Pettine), but I really thought the Bears D might score a couple times.   

• Love 1
16 hours ago, merylinkid said:

KICKOFF Night.    The 100th anniversary season of the NFL begins with two legendary teams the Packers v. the Bears.    At the very least, it will be entertaining.  

If you find 10 punts for each side exciting....

6 hours ago, roamyn said:

If you find 10 punts for each side exciting....

It was a historic game.   3 yards and a cloud of dust.   What the League was before it became pass happy and scored 30 points a game on each side.   

Okay realistically, we are so used to the Pats being in top form for the first game, we forgot what first game jitters look like.    Teams, despite playing 4 preseason games, really haven't played with their starters in game time situations.   This is what you get.

• Love 1

The season picked up right where it left off with the superbowl

A dull kicking match where the first team to get in the end zone wins

You have to be crushed if you are a bears fan.  You hold the Packers and Rodgers to 10 points and you lose by a TD?  ANd Trubisky badly missed on some throws. 

That will be the narrative for the season for them.  Is Trubisky good enough?  After last night, the answer so far early in the season is, "No". 

• Love 1