Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Anyone else cheering for a Browns/ Dolphin tie game?  ETA: Dammit.

25 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I doubted the Vikings against the Pack, I doubted the Vikings when they lost Peterson (and Kalil). I doubt no more. To quote the great poet Neil Diamond, I'm a believer. Especially in that defense, it's legit.

What he said.

Edited by King of Birds

The Giants losing will always make me smile. 

I am shocked about the Bills. Their offense is still terrible but their defense was crazy today. I also wonder if it's panic time in Arizona. Same with the Panthers. When the beaten up Vikings look like one of the best teams in the NFC there are definitely problems (I choose to ignore the Packers).

• Love 3

There was a shot on the sidelines of both startinb QBs for the Browns on the sidelines with their arms in slings.   All you need to know about the Browns.

Cards clearly have forgotten how to football.

Speaking of forgetting how to football- what is going on with Carolina?   Super Bowl hangover?   Made worse by the Broncos winning with Trevor Siemens?

Then there was the Skins and Giants.   Tough one for me because I am a Cowboys fan.   So either one losing made me happy.   But honestly, the Giants have got to get Josh Norman out of their heads.   He pulls stuff, and they react.   Notice he never gets ejected.   They need to ignore him.   It's not like he's effective as an actual player.

10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Firing Coughlin made all the difference, didn't it?

Well we probably would be 0-3 right now....at the very best 1-2....so yeah.   This game was entirely on the players.  The center....the freaking center gets tossed for 2 unsportsmanlike penalities.  Beckham gets a costly penalty to negate a big gain.  Bad bad bad Eli showed up today...what did he end up with 2 or 3 interceptions?...the last one which ended the game.  And I haven't even gotten into Vereen's fumble; another bone headed penalty from a guy on special teams....I dont even know the player's name....it negated a blocked punt which would have had us with 1st and Goal inside the 10.  Instead the Redskins got to replay 4th down and kick away.   Soo many penalties and stupid decisions by the players.  If anything I guess I can blame the coach for not having the team more mentally prepared, but at the end of the day it's like come on.  They're grown men...and not to quote Belicheck...but do your freaking job!  If we end up losing the division by a game this will be the one.

Edited by FuriousStyles

Giants must have drunk some of the Redskins' fuck-up juice, 'cause that's the only reason I can think of for them losing like that.  I guess the come to Jesus meeting in the Redskins' locker room paid off for them.  We'll see how long this lasts.

I do like my team; I just can't stand Jay Gruden, he's a meathead, and newcomer Josh Norman just grates on my last nerve for some reason.

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

There was a shot on the sidelines of both startinb QBs for the Browns on the sidelines with their arms in slings.   All you need to know about the Browns.

That and the three missed field goals, including the one that would have clinched the game. God, what an absolute dumpster fire.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

That and the three missed field goals, including the one that would have clinched the game. God, what an absolute dumpster fire.

Add the fact that Carson Wentz, who the passed on, is torching the Steelers right now.

Speaking of forgetting how to football- what is going on with Carolina?   Super Bowl hangover?

No Josh Norman?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Add the fact that Carson Wentz, who the passed on, is torching the Steelers right now.

Nah. If Carson Wentz had been picked by Cleveland, he'd either have thrown three picks or would've suffered a season-ending knee injury. Like the Geico VO guy would say, it's Cleveland, it's what they do.

• Love 6

At least their fans are still basking in the Cavs winning. I feel bad for that kicker- found out a few days ago that he had to play, and then missed three field goals (at least he made three).

Steelers looked pretty good the past few weeks, but terrible today. Wentz really is the real deal- I wonder how he would have done with the Rams.

2 minutes ago, twoods said:

Steelers looked pretty good the past few weeks, but terrible today. Wentz really is the real deal- I wonder how he would have done with the Rams.

I don't want to take anything away from Wentz because he looks good, but the Steelers haven't won in Philadelphia since the 60's I believe, so sadly this isn't the least surprising to me. They also haven't won in Oakland since 95 or 96.

I cannot root for Philly for any reason* but watching the Steelers get pasted is always a joy.

*Almost, actually.  There is no scenario I could think of to root for New England, regardless who they are playing, unless it's the Cowboys in the SB, in which case I would turn off the TV and take up crochet.

• Love 4

At one point during the Panthers game the camera panned to a gigantic trash can and just stayed focused on it for a while. That game was trash! We can't beat the friggin' Vikings?! What happened to our team from last year?

I picked the Steelers to win in the pool but it always warms my heart to see them defeated! In fact, our local station switched over the Chargers/Colts game midway through the 3rd quarter! 

Edited by Mountainair

I am really impressed with how Philly has been playing this season. Today was a very good win for them. Carson Wentz continues to look good. He has 0 turnovers so far, has an ice touch on his throws, and makes good decisions on the field. I hope he continues to do well. Philly's defense also looked really good today and I think their coaching staff is doing a good job. Maybe they might end up being a sleeper team this season.

I am glad that Seattle bounced back with a nice win this week and hope that Russell's injury isn't too serious. I also hope that the Panthers will bounce back next week.

The Browns continue to suffer and lose in very disappointing ways. At least Terrelle Pryor was hustling and doing some nice things, but it just wasn't enough as usual.

And Yikes to Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing 6 interceptions in the game today against the Chiefs. That is one point I won't be getting in the football pool as I picked the Jets to win, lol.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I cannot root for Philly for any reason* but watching the Steelers get pasted is always a joy.

*Almost, actually.  There is no scenario I could think of to root for New England, regardless who they are playing, unless it's the Cowboys in the SB, in which case I would turn off the TV and take up crochet.

I first read that as "take up cricket"... which also works

Mar-cus Pe-ters....Duuuuuuude!  That was some righteous cornerbacking there, my friends.  Without looking, I b'lieve that's 17 INTs in 20 games.  Plus, there's something particularly lip-smackingly delish about a pick in the end zone (when you're on the right end of it).

Note to Vikings fans: sorry I wasted my pity on your team, which they clearly *don't* need.  Impressive!

And, because it can't be said often enough, fuck autocorrect.  It's such a challenge to bring poetry to the NFL thread with that Nazi software lurking.

Is this Eagles team legit or are the Steelers not as good as people thought? Maybe a little bit of both. As good as Carson Wentz and the Eagles offense was I was more impressed with the Eagles defense. They were relentless.  

• Love 2

It's too bad we're only getting 4 primetime Bears games this season.

And I have no idea what that is about, as it isn't exactly a surprise that this will be quite a weak season for them.  Do they really have that much of a national audience that it makes sense to schedule four of their games in prime time, even knowing they're going to stink?  I know the NFL can air just about any match-up and bring in huge ratings, but there had to be better options each of those weeks.

9 hours ago, voiceover said:

Mar-cus Pe-ters....Duuuuuuude!  That was some righteous cornerbacking there, my friends.  Without looking, I b'lieve that's 17 INTs in 20 games.  Plus, there's something particularly lip-smackingly delish about a pick in the end zone (when you're on the right end of it).

Note to Vikings fans: sorry I wasted my pity on your team, which they clearly *don't* need.  Impressive!

And, because it can't be said often enough, fuck autocorrect.  It's such a challenge to bring poetry to the NFL thread with that Nazi software lurking.

If you stop and take your time

You can do an NFL rhyme

Just think of loading the beds of trucks

Filled with a few hundred fucks

While watching the games on the TV

Reacting to what you might see

Field goals missed, dropping passes

Now a fumble? You stupid asses.

It's a game full of riches

Now try to win, you sons of bitches.

Your picks are shot, timde to tweak

the picks you make sometime next week

Don't feel bad when you burn and crash

Just pick yourself up from the pile of ash

Those close games will turn you gray

and watching them you just might say

Gawddammmutherfukker this ain't funny

I'm so glad I ain't betting money.......

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 2

I was wondering how the crazy ending of the Colts/Chargers game was handled on air.  Did anyone see it?  (Dr Spaceman?)  I was there.  Time ran out, the confetti was shot, both teams were in congratulations mode, half the crowd was gone... then the ref said, "Not so fast, people."  Everyone was sent back and the Chargers were given one untimed down due to an obscure rule.  Did any of this make the broadcast?

46 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was wondering how the crazy ending of the Colts/Chargers game was handled on air.  Did anyone see it?  (Dr Spaceman?)  I was there.  Time ran out, the confetti was shot, both teams were in congratulations mode, half the crowd was gone... then the ref said, "Not so fast, people."  Everyone was sent back and the Chargers were given one untimed down due to an obscure rule.  Did any of this make the broadcast?

I saw it on RedZone, but was really confused. The clock hit 0:00, they showed the players going around shaking hands and stuff, then they showed the officials having a conference in the middle of it all and I was like "so is the game not over?" Then you heard them say the stuff about having one untimed down.

Edited by Popples
Fixed punctuation
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

And I have no idea what that is about, as it isn't exactly a surprise that this will be quite a weak season for them.  Do they really have that much of a national audience that it makes sense to schedule four of their games in prime time, even knowing they're going to stink?  I know the NFL can air just about any match-up and bring in huge ratings, but there had to be better options each of those weeks.

What really bothers me -- and they do this every year -- is when a team will play on Monday Night Football, then play the following week on Sunday Night Football (or vice versa).

By the way, does anybody know why this week's Thursday Night Football game is only on NFL Network (which I don't currently have)?

I thought they'd be split between NBC and CBS.

Previously, when CBS just had it, the NFL Network wouldn't get exclusive TNF games until later in the season.

Edited by nowandlater
43 minutes ago, Popples said:

I saw it on RedZone, but was really confused. The clock hit 0:00, they showed the players going around shaking hands and stuff, then they showed the officials having a conference in the middle of it all and I was like "so is the game not over?" Then you heard them say the stuff about having one untimed down.

Was there a defensive penalty when time ran out?

Let me just say that I love that Terrelle Pryor (Sr.) is finally getting some love. I thought he got a raw deal based off of some bs college stuff.  But his perseverance and willingness to do whatever it takes to stay on the field especially switching positions from QB to WR is commendable (looking at you Tim Tebow).  The guy did damn near everything yesterday. I hope he continues to do well...I mean, as much as he can playing for the Browns, and can get a big contract next season somewhere.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Was there a defensive penalty when time ran out?

It was very confusing. The Colts punted with 4 seconds left. The Chargers had everyone on the line to try to block it.  They didn't.  A Colt ran downfield and downed the ball while time ran out. But because the Chargers didn't have a return man back there it was called an illegal touch (really?) and so the Chargers were given one untimed down. No one knew this rule so everyone assumed the game was over.  I was wondering if the network had left coverage assuming it was over too.  

The Giants would likely be 1-2 or 0-3 under Coughlin.  He was in decline as a coach and did a truly awful job last year.

Still, there's a lot of work to do.  They should have won the game yesterday.  They used to destroy Kirk Cousins and now they make him look like Tom Brady.

Beckham needs to get a grip.  He should ask Brandon Jacobs what happens when you start slamming or tossing around a football helmet.  I hear everyone saying that Beckham is just showing how much he wants to win.  I appreciate that but nearly injuring yourself by slam your football helmet into a net (he did cut his face) is about the dumbest thing you can do.

That #33 yesterday stupidity really hurt the Giants with that ridiculous late hit.

I'm a big fan of Eli but his penchant for red zone turnovers is a serious problem.  His first eight years in the league, he used to be clutch in the final two minutes or so.  He was an alright 1st to 3rd quarter QB and a truly great two-minute QB.  Now he's a great 1st to 3rd quarter QB and a lousy two minute QB.  Since the last Super Bowl victory, he's only had two fourth-quarter comebacks and went more than three years inbetween them.  When Eli has the ball last with his team trailing, it's almost a guarantee that he throws an interception or makes a bad play.  Incidentally, the Giants haven't gone to the playoffs in more than four years.  I don't know what's happened but he is no longer an elite two-minute QB.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Let me just say that I love that Terrelle Pryor (Sr.) is finally getting some love. I thought he got a raw deal based off of some bs college stuff.  But his perseverance and willingness to do whatever it takes to stay on the field especially switching positions from QB to WR is commendable (looking at you Tim Tebow).  The guy did damn near everything yesterday. I hope he continues to do well...I mean, as much as he can playing for the Browns, and can get a big contract next season somewhere.

Pryor seemed like he was the only one who gave a damn about the game. I hope he can get away from that trash heap and land on a team who's a real contender. I agree he was smart to swallow his pride and switch positions. Terrell's cashing NFL checks while Tebow is mucking around in the minors.

Eta: I had no idea that happened at the end of the Chargers/Colts game. I remember CBS switching away from Eagles/Steelers, but I never saw the extra play after the Colts won the game. 

Edited by BitterApple

Nice of the my home state Titans to show this kid some love.

It's gotten to the point that I refuse to fall for the sky is falling mentality by the commentators about if a team is good or bad. Last week people were saying Rogers was washed up. This week he's fine. This week Eli had a bad game and so the Giants aren't legit and the 2-0 start was a fluke.  Pittsburgh stinks up the joint and OMG their season is in doubt.

Games 6-14 are when we start seeing how things are really falling out. But even then the commentators will be flip flopping as always.

And we already have a London game. Hope the Colts and Jags put on a decent show.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, twoods said:

Who decides which team plays in London? Why are the Jags always going? Must be a tough trip.

Metaphorically, when the music stopped the Jags were the only ones without a seat. They had one of the softer home attendance at the time so they volunteered/got volunteered to be an annual London host.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Metaphorically, when the music stopped the Jags were the only ones without a seat. They had one of the softer home attendance at the time so they volunteered/got volunteered to be an annual London host.

Apparently the Jags signed a multi-year contract to do the London game. I wonder if the players were consulted before the owner made that decision? I'm guessing no. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Who decides which team plays in London? Why are the Jags always going? Must be a tough trip.

Speaking of which, I wonder why some teams (such as the Packers) never play in London. Green Bay would never give up a home game, of course, but why not have them do a road game? A London game should be more likely now that they're doing a few a season. I think Aaron Rodgers said it was one of his bucket list items to play in London.

One thing the London games do is sometimes deprive cities of seeing certain teams.

For instance, NFC teams play at each AFC stadium every 8 years (and vice versa).

The Saints were supposed to play at San Diego in 2008, marking Drew Brees' return to his former team. Instead, that game was moved to London.

This Sunday (eight years later) Drew Brees will finally get to play in San Diego for a regular season game.

Tom Brady has never played in Tampa Bay because the Patriots @ Tampa Bay game in 2009 was moved to London. If he's still around next year, Brady will finally get to play in Tampa for a regular season game. (Brady will play @ the 49ers for the first time in his career this year -- he never got to play in Candlestick Park.)

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Popples said:

I don't want to take anything away from Wentz because he looks good, but the Steelers haven't won in Philadelphia since the 60's I believe, so sadly this isn't the least surprising to me. They also haven't won in Oakland since 95 or 96.

They've only played in Philly like 9 times so I wouldn't put much stock in that stat. The Eagles D shut down Big Ben and while Antonio Brown got some yards he never was able to make a big game changing play.  That and the great play of Wentz is probably the real reason they lost not because they haven't won in Philly in the 9 times since the 60s.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

They've only played in Philly like 9 times so I wouldn't put much stock in that stat. The Eagles D shut down Big Ben and while Antonio Brown got some yards he never was able to make a big game changing play.  That and the great play if Wentz is probably the real reason they loss not because they haven't won in Philly in the 9 times since the 60s.

I scowled the entire game (I'm not an Eagles fan), but I must say I was impressed. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, topanga said:

Why was this not a penalty? I understand that the contact took place away from the ball, but how was Josh Norman allowed to pick up Odell Bekham, Jr and drop him, right in front of an official? 

I hate that Josh Norman now plays for my team.  I hate him so much, I was actually rooting for Odell, and I loved that one move where he juked Norman almost out of his shoes. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I'm so glad that tonight is a matchup I don't hate because I have less than zero interest in the alternative programming the regular networks are airing.  

It's been 11 years but I'll never forget that first MNF game at the reopened Superdome.

• Love 1