Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 09/14/15

buffynut
  • Start Topic

... I still can't stand Joy Behar.  She never argues logically or fairly or with respect for the other person, it's always some sort of personal attack followed by that smug, self-satisfied smirk as she looks at the audience and nearly rolls her eyes over the opposition.  I had never seen the Paula woman before but I thought she was trying to take the conversation into the interesting gray area around this issue.  Nope.  Joy doesn't discuss she just pontificates.  

... I'm a life long Liberal and I hate having her on my side.

YES! Thank you for summing up my feelings about Joy Behar, JudyObscure. I have always thought she was every bit as closed-minded as any dyed-in-the-wool conservative she has ever butted heads with.  And I can't stand the way she seems to always veer into personal insult territory as a closer in every discussion, with that sneering smirk of hers.  She truly seems to feel that she is always right and anyone who doesn't see that is just a moron. In her own way, Joy is every inch the blusteringly intolerant know-it-all that Whoopi Goldberg is.  

And I too am bothered that she is most often on "my" side of an issue.  Her demeanor seems to sully the point she is making, almost to the detriment of the cause sometimes.  

Joy is the best thing this show has going for it. 

That ain't sayin' much, lol!  

• Love 7

I find that I hear best if I see the person talking, and the camera wasn't on Dr. Phil today when he said something about the Ashley Madison people that had the audience shouting and whistling. Joy asked him if he was feeling sorry for the male adulterer-wannabes who signed up for a site with very few women on it, and he said SOMETHING that got a huge reaction and I can't understand what it was he said.  Does anyone recall?

As far as Kim Davis, and gay marriage, and people praying outside abortion clinics, etc., etc., my response is, "There are a lot of smoke and mirrors to obscure the facts of the case, but in the end, the United States is a republic. We are governed by laws, which come from the Executive, Judicial and Legislative branches. We are a republic, not a theocracy. We believe whatever we want, but we are governed by laws, not whatever Almighty one chooses, or not, to believe in."  And I say that as a staunch Christian and lefty liberal who strongly believes both in God and the separation of church and state.

• Love 13

I find that I hear best if I see the person talking, and the camera wasn't on Dr. Phil today when he said something about the Ashley Madison people that had the audience shouting and whistling. Joy asked him if he was feeling sorry for the male adulterer-wannabes who signed up for a site with very few women on it, and he said SOMETHING that got a huge reaction and I can't understand what it was he said.  Does anyone recall?

I actually backed up the DVR to hear what he said because it wasn't clear and it did get a big audience reaction.

Joy asked him if he was feeling any pity for the men involved in the Ashley Madison thing and I think what he said was "No, I'm just a bitch."  I could have sworn that is what he said!  Stupid Joy was talking over him. 

*** Hey I found a clip of Phil on the show .... he makes his comment at about the 1:04 mark.  I am still not 100% sure what he said.  It might have been "No, karma's a bitch"  ..... it is hard to tell.

http://Dr. Phil Joins Hot Topics: Explains Why Ashley Madison Cheaters Were Cheated Video | The View

Hopefully Whoops is getting so angry, she'll quit before next year. 

I doubt she will quit.  I do expect her to meet the minimal requirements of her contract.  She likely has "personal" days of some type, though maybe not under that terminology. Her contract probably outlines the exact requirements, including sick days etc.  She will show up as required, perform her duties, and be non-renewed sometime next spring.  I think most of us predicted that as far back as 2013.

The flip side is that perhaps this is why we have a cavalcade of hosts, because the players are going to be scheduled away from the show regularly.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that no one on the panel mentioned the transformation of sorts that Kim Davis went through prior to returning today. New glasses, dyed hair, make up. Presented a much more 'camera ready' appearance today when she was interviewed on the courthouse steps. And also surprised that Joy didn't wonder aloud about Davis's lawyers using her to create more buzz about their law firm which has inserted itself into a few other incidents that became national news.

BTW, speaking of Dr. Phil, I saw the interview that was his season opener that he referred to, today. If you haven't watched it, you might be interested. It's one of those stories we hear about on the news and then it fades away because of more breaking news. It was a heartbreaking incident yet I was very impressed by the victim's words and replies to Phil. As for his appearance on the View today, it seemed to me that he was not that into hearing what Joy has to say. At one point, he turned his body completely away from her to address the audience and the panel. At the end of his interview I could have sworn he was giving Joy the side eye.

Maybe it is just me.... there really is nothing to comment about today.... Hot topics was old news.... Kim Davis is going back to work... and made a statement.... another topic... should women date shorter men.... who cares..... Dr Phil was on .. and he was.. well Dr Phil..... he said Ashley Madison was cheating their members because there wasnt real women.... he said it was 4 women with 1000 names..... so the cheaters were being cheated.

I wonder if he knows because of his membership... hmmmm

The scam was pretty heavily publicized late last month.  It wasn't really 4 women, but only 1400 active females and 21 million men,

http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

• Love 1
Joy asked him if he was feeling any pity for the men involved in the Ashley Madison thing and I think what he said was "No, I'm just a bitch."  I could have sworn that is what he said!

Thank you!  I was feeling like he suddenly started speaking another language, for all I could understand, and the fact that whatever it was made everyone nuts was making ME nuts. Appreciate your help.

• Love 2

Did some serious eye rolling when Paula's response to whatever Joy was saying about Kim Davis was: "She loves people."

Really? Kim Davis loves people? If she did, then there would be no controversy over her refusing to sign marriage licences for gay and lesbian couples. That tells me she doesn't love people.

I love Morris Chestnut, but I just had to fast forward that "interview."  I realize that NONE of the women are journalists. But I guess it's too much to ask to have them act like fucking professionals when interviewing celebrities. Like I give any fucks how hot the hosts find the celebrities. I don't care how long you've had the hots for "celebrity." You have like, five minutes (I saw the time on my dvr--Chesnut came out on at the 47 minute mark), and you waste it, blathering on and on about your tween-age crush. Do it before you go on air.

• Love 9

Yeah, I think Dr Phool said "Karma's a bitch."

I wish the show would not bother with tweets.  It breaks the flow of the conversation.  And the drooling over Morris Chestnut was boring and offensive.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

I'm a lefty liberal and I understand what some of you are saying about Joy. She can be stale and acerbic and sometimes downright cringeworthy while going for her point but she's all I have to counter some of the dumbest crap to come out of a few of the panelists mouths. If Bure is going to talk about her stances on gay marriage or abortion because of the bible, I don't want her to just get to speak with impunity. That goes for Sherri or Paula, as well. Whoopi's a proven failure at having a good retort to these types of discussions and I know the show isn't scoring a woman like Rachel Maddow as a host anytime soon, so Joy's going to have to do for me. Plus, I know Joy's popularity on this show is pissing Whoopi off. :)

• Love 18

Did some serious eye rolling when Paula's response to whatever Joy was saying about Kim Davis was: "She loves people."

Really? Kim Davis loves people? If she did, then there would be no controversy over her refusing to sign marriage licences for gay and lesbian couples. That tells me she doesn't love people.

Kim Davis loves people who love Jesus like she does.  All the rest of us are heathens who are damned to burn in hell.  I am sick to death of people like her being made out to be so fucking special because they are standing by their beliefs.  If she wants to continue to be bigot she is certainly entitled to do so but continuing to collect a paycheck, paid for by the very same people she has bigoted beliefs against doesn't make her special.  It just makes her look selfish.  For her to believe her beliefs deserve special consideration is ridiculous.  She is paid to do her job and if she can't in good consciousness do that then find another job.  Too much time and attention has already been paid to her.  Enough already.

I'm a lefty liberal and I understand what some of you are saying about Joy. She can be stale and acerbic and sometimes downright cringeworthy while going for her point but she's all I have to counter some of the dumbest crap to come out of a few of the panelists mouths. If Bure is going to talk about her stances on gay marriage or abortion because of the bible, I don't want her to just get to speak with impunity. That goes for Sherri or Paula, as well. Whoopi's a proven failure at having a good retort to these types of discussions and I know the show isn't scoring a woman like Rachel Maddow as a host anytime soon, so Joy's going to have to do for me. Plus, I know Joy's popularity on this show is pissing Whoopi off. :)

I love Joy and I always thought the View made a mistake when they let her go the same time as Elisabeth.  ABC's argument was if people were turned off by Elisabeth's politics then they must have been turned off by Joy's as well.  So I guess they are now thinking if we have CCB to represent the right then we need Joy back to represent the left.  I can live with that.

• Love 10

Kim Davis loves people who love Jesus like she does.  All the rest of us are heathens who are damned to burn in hell.  I am sick to death of people like her being made out to be so fucking special because they are standing by their beliefs.  If she wants to continue to be bigot she is certainly entitled to do so but continuing to collect a paycheck, paid for by the very same people she has bigoted beliefs against doesn't make her special.  It just makes her look selfish.  For her to believe her beliefs deserve special consideration is ridiculous.  She is paid to do her job and if she can't in good consciousness do that then find another job.  Too much time and attention has already been paid to her.  Enough already.

Agreed.  And I find it hysterical how people like Davis, Cruz, Huckabee, cherry-pick which part of the First Amendment they want.  In this whole scenario, they've either forgotten about the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment--which  "prohibits the government from aiding or assisting any religion, or religious viewpoint, over any others."*.

*An awesome article by George Takei on this subject.

• Love 12

Agreed.  And I find it hysterical how people like Davis, Cruz, Huckabee, cherry-pick which part of the First Amendment they want.  In this whole scenario, they've either forgotten about the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment--which  "prohibits the government from aiding or assisting any religion, or religious viewpoint, over any others."*.

Not to go too far off topic but I had an argument with a friend who insists this country is a Christian nation and it's those "Christian" principals that allow others to practice their chosen religion.  That more or less the U.S is tolerating all these other religions.  I tried to explain to her the error of thinking but she just wasn't having it.  Kinda reminded me of Sherri and Elisabeth.  You just can't reason with someone who is so strident in their views.

• Love 5

I love Morris Chestnut, but I just had to fast forward that "interview."  I realize that NONE of the women are journalists. But I guess it's too much to ask to have them act like fucking professionals when interviewing celebrities. Like I give any fucks how hot the hosts find the celebrities. I don't care how long you've had the hots for "celebrity." You have like, five minutes (I saw the time on my dvr--Chesnut came out on at the 47 minute mark), and you waste it, blathering on and on about your tween-age crush. Do it before you go on air.

:)

Not to go too far off topic but I had an argument with a friend who insists this country is a Christian nation and it's those "Christian" principals that allow others to practice their chosen religion.  That more or less the U.S is tolerating all these other religions.  I tried to explain to her the error of thinking but she just wasn't having it.  Kinda reminded me of Sherri and Elisabeth.  You just can't reason with someone who is so strident in their views.

Oh, totally agree! Or the pearl clutching when pointed out that some of our forefathers were *gasp!* Atheists.

• Love 1

I'm surprised that no one on the panel mentioned the transformation of sorts that Kim Davis went through prior to returning today. New glasses, dyed hair, make up. Presented a much more 'camera ready' appearance today when she was interviewed on the courthouse steps. And also surprised that Joy didn't wonder aloud about Davis's lawyers using her to create more buzz about their law firm which has inserted itself into a few other incidents that became national news.

It isnt really surprising..... at the first rally she was getting out of jail... she would have had few comforts of home... where as yesterday she was dressed for work when she read her statement. Of course her lawyers are there to promote themselves.... when they go on the talking head shows there they are with the name of their organization on the curtain behind them...... for promotional purposes of course.

iqknhuehkabjimtkroea.jpg

• Love 1

If it ever comes up again you could point out the Treaty of Tripoli..... it says right in it that America is NOT a Christian nation.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1796t.asp

ARTICLE 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

• Love 3
Apparently Paula Faris's Born-Again Christian belief makes anything/everything bad ever done go away.  Every sin you committed...every abortion you had, man you murdered, children you left in dire circumstances...everything.  Same with Catholics and Confession (when it was a regular sacrament). That might be true in the eyes of Paula's God.  That's not the case with the law, public opinion, gossip, reputation, etc.

Paula's defense of Kim Davis is silly, immature, and grasping at straws.

If she bore twins without being married, it was a sin under some scripture.

If she was married four times via divorce, that's probably not biblically approved.

If she did other "bad acts" before she was Born Again, she still did them--still hurt the people she hurt. 

If they were crimes, they can't be forgiven just because she turned over a new leaf.

And people remember and aren't always forgiving.

Could not agree more!! Boy...I am having a real problem listening to Faris without throwing a brick thru my TV. WTF were they thinking when some over-paid idiot decided that she would be a good addition? Nicole Wallace aggravated me but this one?!! I would gladly welcome Wallace back if it meant sending Faris packing.

• Love 6

The Whoopster's loose grasp of the English language & grammar never ceases to amaze me.  While speaking with David Oyelowo, she asked him if he conscientiously played his part a certain way, when the word should have been consciously.  Check out the definitions. (Sorry folks, I can't help it!!)

: governed by or conforming to the dictates of conscience : scrupulous <a conscientious public servant> 2. : meticulous, careful <a conscientious listener> — con·sci·en·tious·ly adverb. — con·sci·en·tious·ness noun.

a. Characterized by or having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts. See Synonyms at aware. b. Mentally perceptive or alert; awake: The patient remained fully conscious after the local anesthetic was administered.

Edited because I don't have a firm grasp either!!  LOL.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 9

WOW - sometimes I look at the show's facebook to see if I want to watch. Today there are hundreds of posts from nurses. They rallied overnight in response to Joy's comment about the Miss USA contestant that wore scrubs and a stethoscope and are outraged. It is pretty incredible.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 6

One thing I did love and wholeheartedly agreed with Joy on in yesterday's episode was her calling Davis out for her "not wanting to be in the public eye." Such Bullshit.  Who was the person that came out when she was released from jail to hold Fuckabee's hand in "victory!" while he spouted bullshit and got me pissed that they decided to use Survivor's Eye of the Tiger? If she truly wanted all this to be private, she should have told him and his ilk to NOT be waiting for her outside, that she would NOT speak about how whatever it was she said through her tears.  Only reason she was sent to jail was because she said she would flout the Judge's order and continue to refuse to sign the licences, and also not allow her staff to sign them. I think the latter is true, not sure. But now she's out, because she promised not to prevent her deputies from issuing them. Otherwise her ass would have been thrown right back in jail.

So yeah. totally disingenuous. She totally loved the attention and press she was getting, and is continuing to get.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8

What was going on with Whoopi today? Except for the topic about being a mother, she was really subdued. Some topics she didn't even give an opinion, and asked the co-hosts if they had more to add...? Also, "take a little time to enjoy The View" at the end of the show? I don't think she's said that in half a year. Raven and Michelle also seemed a little more involved in the serious topics. Hmm... They must've had a talking to about the show.

I did like Joy pointing out Fiorina is trying to take on a women's empowerment message with that video without actually supporting policies that help women.

• Love 12

I did like Joy pointing out Fiorina is trying to take on a women's empowerment message with that video without actually supporting policies that help women.

I don't think Joy actually knows what suffrage means.  I think she thinks it is the equivalent of suffering.  That is the way it seemed to me.

They sure were patting themselves on the back today.  They really think this show is all that special, important, relevant and good.  They are very wrong.

Just noticed that when they put Whoopie's name under her it is just Whoppie not Whoopie Goldberg.  The others were full names though I need to look and see what Raven gets. 

• Love 1

What was going on with Whoopi today? Except for the topic about being a mother, she was really subdued. Some topics she didn't even give an opinion, and asked the co-hosts if they had more to add...? Also, "take a little time to enjoy The View" at the end of the show? I don't think she's said that in half a year. 

No, she said it ONCE last week. I think the day before she said "The View you come upon" or whatever it is that she says.

I believe the exact quote was: "It's not your face, honey, it's your policy." Perfection. :)

Obviously, Whoopi got a whooping or two in the woodshed out back; today, for the first time in ages, she was more moderator than blowhard. It was noticeably out of character and oddly refreshing.

ETA: Or maybe bronzedog is right in that we just enjoyed a worried mother one-off.

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 6

The elephant in the room with Carly Fiorina is her new ad about being 61 and loves her wrinkles...she fails to mention the amount of work she has had done to that face which is what I think Trump's remark was aimed at!  LOL  I was hoping Michelle/Joy might have put that out there!

• Love 4

What was going on with Whoopi today? Except for the topic about being a mother, she was really subdued. Some topics she didn't even give an opinion, and asked the co-hosts if they had more to add...? Also, "take a little time to enjoy The View" at the end of the show? I don't think she's said that in half a year. Raven and Michelle also seemed a little more involved in the serious topics. Hmm... They must've had a talking to about the show.

Maybe TPTB are reading our comments!!!

Then again - probably not

• Love 3

Just noticed that when they put Whoopie's name under her it is just Whoppie not Whoopie Goldberg.  The others were full names though I need to look and see what Raven gets.

It was the same last season with no last name for her. Just Woopi.

• Love 1

The elephant in the room with Carly Fiorina is her new ad about being 61 and loves her wrinkles...she fails to mention the amount of work she has had done to that face which is what I think Trump's remark was aimed at!  LOL  I was hoping Michelle/Joy might have put that out there!

Has Trump done anything more substantive than sling shit at women and minorities since announcing his candidacy? Anything at all?

• Love 7

Whoopi's name has always been announced without the "Goldberg", and Raven is announced as "Raven-Symone".

• Love 1
Obviously, Whoopi got a whooping or two in the woodshed out back; today, for the first time in ages, she was more moderator than blowhard. It was noticeably out of character and oddly refreshing.

I HATE the tweets, with Raven interrupting everyone to read them, but I do get a delicious giggle out of Whoopi saying, "Keep tweeting us!" Hahahaha. I guess a part of her being taken to the woodshed was to stop screaming at the viewers, Don't call me, don't tweet me, because I don't care!

How she must loathe being on a short leash.  I, otoh, am loving it.

• Love 16

Sue me, I enjoyed the show.

• Whoopi was so much better, and actually made some good comments. She also sat back, relaxed, and encouraged discussion.
  • Less cross-talking overall. Decent conversations.
  • Raven looked good and was likeable to me.
  • Liked all the sets.
  • Still dig Joy.
  • Everyone dressed better than usual, even Whoopi.
  • Spewed out coffee when Michelle said Walters' on-camera image was filtered.
  • Love 8

Whoopi's name has always been announced without the "Goldberg", and Raven is announced as "Raven-Symone".

Yes she did.

Sorry, but I'm not understanding you, Medicine Crow.  "Yes she did"?  Yes, who did what???  :-)

Edited by Tunia

Whoopie said she wasn't there yesterday because her daughter was sick and they thought she might need surgery but she doesn't. Maybe she was subdued because she's worried about her.

I think it is more like TPTB pointed out how well Joy did as moderator 2 days..... and after a bit of a scolding.... and maybe a threat or 2...... Whoopi had an epiphany..... we shall see going forward.

After reading that... I realized how much that sounded like a fantasy  hahahahhaa

• Love 5

I met her before she was famous.... she was at a coffee shop in Columbus... It was pretty cool when she hit it big

Roger, you lead a charmed life.  You meet celebrities, you meet presidential candidates, celebrities respond to your tweets.  

Edited by Morgalisa
  • Love 6

I think I heard Michelle say something about Fiorina used the Barbra Walters lens to get that smooth face. Lmao! The other hosts shushed and glossed over it but I was sure she said something like that.

Yes she did.

Sorry, but I'm not understanding you, Medicine Crow.  "Yes she did"?  Yes, who did what???  :-)

Sorry, Tunia, see above.  I responded to the wrong post.

• Love 2

Roger, you lead a charmed life.  You meet celebrities, you meet presidential candidates, celebrities respond to your tweets.  

Well Im not shy  lol

Honestly I went an watched a lot of open mic shows in Columbus...... Jewel was a cute girl with a guitar and a lovely voice.

I met my girlfriend that way.... I met her on the bus and she invited me to her open mic show..... she had a great voice... she could have been a star.

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 2

Sue me, I enjoyed the show.

Whoopi was so much better, and actually made some good comments. She also sat back, relaxed, and encouraged discussion.

Less cross-talking overall. Decent conversations.

Raven looked good and was likeable to me.

Liked all the sets.

Still dig Joy.

Everyone dressed better than usual, even Whoopi.

Spewed out coffee when Michelle said Walters' on-camera image was filtered.

So, I think I'm reading that on today's show the ladies played more like a team?  Yeah, that's what's missing teamwork which is missing the letter "I", which is part of the reason why this show has fallen apart. To many "I's" at the table. 

By the way, when Whoopi is there does she get her usual seat back? Or, has Joy taken that seat over indefinitely?

I remember when Barbara would show up Meredith never gave up that seat and we know Barbara was the head honcho, but Meredith kept her position at the table because she was the lead moderator 90% of the time. Even when Barbara was there Meredith seemed to lead, take us to commercial breaks, do a lot of the introductions etc.. she seemed to equally move the show along with Barbara.  Meredith had such a great speaking voice and temperament and everyone at the table knew it, knew that it was good for the team if she led. The egos were in check. I agree with the post that talked about the debating skills of Meredith, Star and Joy back then and I will add Lisa. Those women had good debating skills. You just never felt that anyone was feeling so insecure that they had to overshadow the other. 

Here's hoping they can get back to that sense of teamwork. That I don't like you personally, but we've got a job to do and it's to put on a good show for the people. You know, like the rest of us in other professions who maybe can't stand some of the people we work with but, um, get over it because we all gotta eat and we're not if the job doesn't get done. Just get it done, end of story.

Edited by represent
  • Love 6