Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Bread

• Start Topic

One round down and the remaining 12 bakers have 9 rounds and 27 gruelling challenges to get through before they can be crowned Winner of the Great British Bake Off. But having survived cake, now they battle bread.

Knowing that Paul will be watching their every move and prove, they must bake 36 perfectly thin and crispy signature bread sticks, a technically tricky English muffin, and the most outrageous showstopping loaves of bread ever seen on television... from a Christmas wreath to a proud peacock and a psychic octopus.

As the bakers try to perfect their breakfast muffins, we explore their rise in popularity in Georgian England, initially distributed by a network of muffin men, now immortalised in the famous nursery rhyme.

Mel and Sue try to help but instead leave chaos in their wake, as Mary and Paul use the challenges to find out what type of bakers they are and exactly how far they can push their baking skills. They are looking for real talent and natural instinct, creativity and baking brilliance.

At any time, two bakers might be asked to leave, making this year tougher than ever before... nobody is safe.

• Love 1

This was a fun episode, but I am confused about one thing. Do the actually have English muffins in England? I had always thought that what we call English muffins in the US are actually crumpets, which are made on a flat top grill and look similar. However, "English muffins" as created by Thomas,  is a totally American invention. I'd like to try those homemade ones, however. 

I was happy to see Ruby pull herself together this week, and actually make star baker, since she almost went home last week. 

The woman who went home..I've forgotten her name..really needed to step up her game. She ignored all of the hints, which were downright heavy handed by the end there, to do something to actually compete, but she didn't and therefore had to go. 

I can't believe that Mel (or Sue?) leaned her elbow on somebody's English muffin. Sometimes I think they get a bit too involved..helping move a bread, or whatever, and really need to step back a bit.

• Love 2

This was a fun episode, but I am confused about one thing. Do the actually have English muffins in England? I had always thought that what we call English muffins in the US are actually crumpets, which are made on a flat top grill and look similar. However, "English muffins" as created by Thomas,  is a totally American invention. 

I think it's more complicated than that, but I'm confused too. There are definitely things called "muffins" in England, and I have been served them there at breakfast, very familiar to a consumer of Thomas's in the US even if not identical. So I had figured that we in the US call them English muffins to distinguish them from our own cupcake-shaped muffins that can be bran, corn, etc., and can have fruit in them.

But then these "English muffins" on TGBBO looked different from what I expected: The outsides looked like what I'd expect, but the interior was white, soft, fine-crumbed, with no variations in texture. And nobody talked about toasting them, which seems essential to me. And why do they need to specify that these are English muffins if they themselves are English? Has the American meaning infected the international market as so often happens? 

But maybe I'm all wrong. I'd love to see a UK reader correct me, or even better, someone with equal familiarity with both sides of the ocean.

This is the most straightforward description of the differences I could find: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-crumpets-113577

After all, crumpets and English muffins are both griddle cakes - meaning they were originally made on the stove top in a cast-iron griddle pan. They're both round and generally biscuit-sized. They both have a spongy texture full of nooks and crannies for absorbing melted butter and other delicious toppings. They're also both considered to be a breakfast, brunch, or tea food, but not the kind of bread you'd serve with dinner.

But then things start to get confusing:

• Crumpets are always made with milk, but English muffins never do. (Though there are a few recipes that beg to differ.)

• Crumpet batter is just that: a loose batter. English muffins are made from a more firm dough. (Sometimes.)

• Crumpets are made only using baking soda, where as English muffins are made with yeast or sourdough (and occasionally a little baking soda to help things along).

• Crumpets are cooked only on one side, so the bottom is flat and toasted while the top is speckled with holes (delicious, butter-absorbing holes...). English muffins are more bread-like and are toasted on both sides. (This one is actually a definite!)

• Crumpets are served whole with the jam and butter are spread right on top. English muffins are split before serving. (Unless you happen to like your crumpets split.)

• Love 4

I think the difference is English muffins (yeast bread) vs American sweet muffins (blueberry, apple crumb, etc.). I don't recall American muffins requiring yeast, but it's been ages since I baked them at home (thanks, Costco!).

I came to post that I'm listening from another room, and during the breadsticks, I pictured Paul on a date: "You're intelligent, you're attractive, but you're boring."  And Mary chiming in, "That's a pity."

Edited by ennui
  • Love 4

This manages to capture the DH, so an extra feather in the show's cap for getting him to root for at least the two better bakers of the episode.

Even Mr. A knew that the lady going home was pretty much going to be booted. While there is something to be said about simple, simple doesn't have to equal bland/ boring.  We had a tribute to a psychic octopus for heaven's sake. I liked that Mary went ahead and praised what was good.

I forgot just how much this show makes me hungry! I wanted to try all the breadsticks, and Mr. A and I really liked the matchsticks and box presentation! That was clever. The top three on the Technical made me wish for scrambled eggs and their muffins.  I almost physically flinched watching Paul slice through the middle of that gent's Picasso sun! Right down the middle of it's face. :(

I am glad that I re-found this series! It's a wonderful way to help close out the weekend.

• Love 3

The breadsticks all looked interesting, & the matchsticks were fantastic.

I was confused by the "English muffins" too, I wonder why they're not called just "muffins"

“I swore I wouldn’t be one of those lunatics kneeling on the floor near the oven. Aaaand, here I am!” LOL

Ruby seems to have gotten over her jitters & stepped up, also, I find her hair fascinating. I’m not surprised Lucy got eliminated, a round ball of bread is not really a showstopper.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I find the presence of either presenter to be totally useless and unnecessary.  A voice over would suffice.   Does Sue Perkins always wear her pants halfway off her butt?  I never noticed before but when she went in for a hug with her back to the camera today they looked in danger of slipping off completely.

Otherwise I love this competition.  It's great to watch the variety of baked goods being made, but best of all it is delightfully free of interpersonal drama. 

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 4

And why do they need to specify that these are English muffins if they themselves are English? Has the American meaning infected the international market as so often happens? 

I think that's probably the answer, although I don't know why we don't say 'muffins' and 'American muffins'! It may be a fairly recent thing (to say 'English') and I wonder if it has to do with the Internet. I googled muffin and all the recipes that popped up were for American muffins. When you buy either from a shop though, they're each just labelled 'muffin'.

I agree about toasting being essential, but then I've never made them at home and had them hot off a griddle (but I still imagine wanting the insides toasting).

I really need to be better prepared with tasty show themed snacks for watching. 

Kimberly, the girl who got Star Baker this week, seems like such a likable person. 

Ruby is really quite stunning in an ethereal way.

The population of the UK is about 53 million; population of the US is about 319 million.  Why and how is this show comprised of rather normal contestants with senses of humor and individual quirks and the US cooking competition shows heavily skewed towards asshats? 

• Love 7

I think Ruby got bonus points for her strong comeback after doing so poorly last week.

Meanwhile, I had absolutely no recollection of Kimberley from last week.  I always have some difficulty remembering all the contestants at the beginning of any competitive program.

The episodes are filmed in one weekend, with the bakers testing and creating their signature and showstoppers during the week. They come in with a plan in place and the necessary supplies provided. So by the time she got those hints, it was already too late for Lucy unless she was going to spend the night coming up with a fabulous untested design and ask the producers to get her all of the supplies she'd need.

I thought Lucy was just being stubborn when she was given hint after hint after hint that she was going too simple; it started with the bread sticks having only salt as seasoning and ended with that tomato bread that was just a round loaf with some tomatoes sitting on top of it.  T

She had that tight cheek flush of the super cranky. I did feel sorry for her - she was stuck in the tent, she couldn't change her recipes. The judges weren't buying her simplicity, mainly because her execution wasn't perfect. She probably knew she had made a huge mistake on Sunday morning, but what could she do? The tomato bread looked rustic, and would have got applause at a humble picnic, but everyone else pushed themselves. At least she went down fighting, 'I make what I like' (or something similar.)

I'm beginning to love Howard, his accent and the faces he pulls -  the one when he discovered useless Sue had crushed his muffin was classic. I also loved Hollywood's eye roll in her direction. Despite his unlikely appearance, he is a tremendous risk taker and I like that. 

If big gay Glen had been my schoolteacher I think my high school days would have been so much happier - he seems so fun and kind, and a great role model. 

• Love 4
I don't recall American muffins requiring yeast,

No, they don't have yeast.  They are quick breads in a cupcake shape.

I once heard a funny comedy routine about the time that American muffins became popular as a breakfast food. "They're CAKE.  You are eating CAKE for breakfast!  Chocolate-chocolate chip CAKE!" 

• Love 1

The episodes are filmed in one weekend, with the bakers testing and creating their signature and showstoppers during the week. They come in with a plan in place and the necessary supplies provided. So by the time she got those hints, it was already too late for Lucy unless she was going to spend the night coming up with a fabulous untested design and ask the producers to get her all of the supplies she'd need.

Surely she would have had more than one bread recipe in her repertoire. As to special supplies, really the only variation is what kind of flour they need and what flavorings or spices they're adding. I think the pantry is pretty well stocked, IIRC.  There are some times in some competitions where doing something simple but technically perfect and delicious will get you through. The real point here is that a "showstopper" should be just that. She knew that coming in.

Why were they using inches to measure the breadsticks instead of metric measurements.

I love Kimberly!

I was surprised, too, but I really appreciated it. 25cm means nothing to me,  10 inches I understand.

• Love 2

Oops!  Totally miscredited Kimberly with Star Baker!  Although I think they could have gone with her too.

ETA:  My daughter came in when I was watching and sat down to watch with me.  She wanted to know who graffittied the sheep.

Edited by DeLurker
  • LOL 2

The talk about (English) muffins made me want to give them a go. Paul H's recipe includes an egg, whilst no one else's does. Have any of you bakers made them? To egg or not to egg? Anybody tried them with sourdough starter rather than yeast?

In my recipe meanderings I found this interesting:

Proper muffins should be eaten as fresh as possible, and don't cut them in half, because that makes them tough. Hannah Glasse described it perfectly in The Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy way back in 1747: "Toast them with a Fork crisp on both Sides, then with your Hand pull them open, and they will be like a Honey-Comb; lay in as much Butter as you intend to use, then clap them together again, and set it by the Fire, when you think the Butter is melted turn them, that both Sides may be butter'd alike, but don't touch them with a Knife, either to spread or cut them open, if you do they will be as heavy as Lead."

(From http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/14/crumpets-muffins-pikelets-farls)
  • Love 2

I never realized that english muffins were made on a griddle! Thank you, show, for the education. But I still don't like english muffins.

My favorite baker went home first episode (I don't know why I loved him so, but I just did), so I've yet to glom onto anyone else. Everyone seems nice enough, but I don't care for the one who goes to great lengths to be creative and wacky (matchbox girl) - I can't put my finger on my dislike, but she just irritates me.

• Love 4

I wanted Kimberly to win Star Baker so badly!  Ruby and her weeping are irritating.

Harold is a mystery to me.  He sounds like he's a bit daft, but then his creations score big with Mary and Paul.  He's quite the dark horse.

For those that don't have faith in their baking skills and want great English muffins:

The Model Bakery in St. Helena is wonderful!  I brought my dad some home and he ate 3 in one day.  

http://www.themodelbakery.com/

The only person I wouldn't mind going went. God I love this show! lol But seriously, I didn't even dislike her or want her to go, she's just the one I felt I could do without. I just love all the contestants. Not as much as last US season (the one with Martha since I don't know the numbers). I loved pretty much all of the bakers that season. I'm sure I will come to adore most of these ones too.

So far my early faves are Kimberly. Her smile is infectious and she made some great breads this ep. and Harold. IDK why but I just like the guy. I think because, to look at him, you wouldn't think he is they type to try interesting flavor combinations so he's constantly surprising me.

I love English Muffins so I was salivating quite a bit during that part. The breadsticks didn't do much for me, but as cute as the matchsticks were I just thought they looked kind of plain. And the woman who got voted off, was salt really the only thing she used to season them? It was all I heard mentioned. In which case that, with her boring show stopper loaf, she was absolutely the right one to go.

I'm so glad this show is back and hope they end up showing more of the old seasons here in the US so I can watch them.

So far my early faves are Kimberly. Her smile is infectious and she made some great breads this ep. and Harold. 

Hesitantly, and with no intent to embarrass anyone, but the names have been mis-repeated several times now and are apt to become embedded: They're Kimberley (with the second E) and Howard.

• Love 3

I can't figure out if Howard reminds me of Buddy Holly or someone else.  I was about to say I hope to see him go far, but then realized I like all of the bakers, so it's hard to think of an order for them to go!

If this were the first or perhaps second season, I might understand Lucy not going extreme enough for the showstopper.  I think there is merit to simplicity, but it has to be appropriate.  Simple flavors with a complex shape or complex flavors with a simpler shape.  

• Love 1

I have a funny "relationship" with Howard. His nasal voice and particular intonations (they're probably some regional accent that I don't recognize, and I apologize) put me off initially -- I think they resemble some (intentionally annoying) characters Monty Python used to do, and I'm falling into old habits. But there's something so endearing about him and the same time, and he wins me over. He seems to be genuinely kind and thoughtful with the others, and he seems to be a wizard with flavor combinations. (As does Ruby.)

• Love 4

I love this show for all the reasons everyone else does but I can't stand those two women who act as hosts.  They run the gamut from annoying to obnoxious. I don't know which is which but the one with dark hair looks like she doesn't even bother to wash and comb her hair before appearing on camera.  They should be banned from touching the contestants' supplies and foodstuffs.  The one who damaged a muffin with her elbow seemed to think it was amusing.  Those cooks are competing and concentrating on what they're doing.  They shouldn't have to deal with inane interruptions. 

• Love 2
The one who damaged a muffin with her elbow seemed to think it was amusing.

The only redeeming thing about that was that at least she fessed up when he was being judged. I was so worried it was going to be held against him for drama. I watch too many American reality shows, clearly. So I'm glad she said something and it didn't seem to be held against the contestant who did NOTHING wrong.

But that one, I think that one is Sue, annoys me way more than Mel the blonde. When she says BAAAAKE it is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Love 3

I was hoping Kimberley would get Star Baker this week. She also had a bit of a rough go in the Cakes episode and came back strong. Ruby just reeks of insecurity, which is a little off-putting when she beat 10,000 other applicants. Her posture is so hunched and she falls apart when things go wrong, like with her pastry cream in Cakes.

Howard sounds like the British caricatures in American TV shows, but I absolutely love his original flavor combinations (without going way the hell into left field like you find on Pinterest and from food bloggers). I'm putting orange/oregano in my notes for recipe development.

But that one, I think that one is Sue, annoys me way more than Mel the blonde. 

You have the names right. The way I taught it to myself early on is, The one with with the boyish haircut is NOT the one with the boyish name [Mel].

The redeeming thing about the muffin incident for me (though it still annoyed me when it happened) is that Sue truly didn't know what she was doing, she was aghast when she realized, and she fessed up during judging. She has had her better moments over the course of the series, comforting and encouraging bakers when they were about to give up.

• Love 1

My daughter and I have a close relationship, but we haven't gotten to the Sheep Gratifying Discussion yet!

Okay, I read that as "gratified" and my mind went in a totally different direction.

I'll show myself out now.

"Gratified" is not that far off. Farmers will paint a certain color on their rams' chests, then when the rams mount the ewes, the color is transferred to the ewe's back and when the lambs are born they know who the baby daddy is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Why and how is this show comprised of rather normal contestants with senses of humor and individual quirks and the US cooking competition shows heavily skewed towards asshats?

I think it has to do with the way programming is funded. Here, shows are sponsored by advertisers, and advertisers are influenced by ratings. And we, the viewing audience, seem to prefer crazy idiots.

And why do they need to specify that these are English muffins if they themselves are English?

I suppose they could say English-style muffins. I know you don't need to be in Canada to have Canadian (style) bacon.

Although, little anecdote -- I ordered breakfast in a coffee shop in Canada, and requested Canadian bacon. I received regular bacon strips. I was looking at it, and my host said "well, you're in Canada, that must be Canadian bacon." Amusing. And, tasty.

• Love 2
Although, little anecdote -- I ordered breakfast in a coffee shop in Canada, and requested Canadian bacon. I received regular bacon strips. I was looking at it, and my host said "well, you're in Canada, that must be Canadian bacon." Amusing. And, tasty.

Ha!  Too funny!

it started with the bread sticks having only salt as seasoning and ended with that tomato bread that was just a round loaf with some tomatoes sitting on top of it.

I felt for her, because by the time they were asking about the show-stopper, she was pretty well committed to what she had planned.  There just wouldn't be a lot that could be changed at that juncture.  Then she plopped roasted tomatoes, still on-the-vine no less, on top in a way that didn't even make serving the darned stuff practical and my sympathy sort of evaporated.  She made bread with a vegetable hat.  

I'm not even sure how that would be served, even if the bread had been stunningly executed.  "Here, have a slice then pluck and smash this on top of it!"  doesn't seem particularly practical.  

I like Ruby, she's absolutely stunning for one thing, but also apparently she did get her bread-twist bread-sticks to adhere to one another, which is difficult enough that Paul didn't think she could do it.  So I thought she earned the win this week. 

I like Sue, even if I find her fashion choices to be a bit odd, but I particularly appreciated that she copped to have squashed a muffin during judging.  Whereas I really, really think she ought to re-think the style of her trousers (it's oddly reminiscent of Charlie Chaplin) , the huge variety of "bake"s she intones crack me up.  

• Love 7

But that one, I think that one is Sue, annoys me way more than Mel the blonde. When she says BAAAAKE it is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Yes!  Every time she does it, I want one of the lovely contestants to crush her throat with a baking tin.  Too harsh?

Oddly enough, though, I find the two of them less irritating now than I did last season on PBS when it was my first time ever being introduced to them.  Their weirdness/annoying-ness has somehow become a familiar, comforting presence. 

I was rooting for Kimberley for star baker, but Ruby really redeemed herself after last week, so I was semi-okay with them giving it to her instead.  I like them all so far, just like last season.  Such a delightful little show.

• Love 7

American "muffins" are cake, sorry.  Texture, level of sweetness etc they are essentially cake as understood by much of the western world. They are not bread.  American quick breads in general are also cake, just in in loaf form.

The use of "English" in the name "English Muffins" is to distinguish true muffins from the cake like (and delicious) baked items carrying a similar name.

English Muffins are much more an American food item (thank you Thomas) than they are in the UK: true english muffins are somewhat rare in the UK (I lived there 14 years and never came across them in regular life: unlike Crumpets which were a very regular treat).  

True muffins are HARD to make: cooking on a griddle and achieving consistent results is HARD so my hat is off to the contestants on this challenge :)

I recommend to everyone Elizabeth David's book on Bread: she has a wonderful section on muffins and crumpets.   Now, I need to run off and make some crumpets, slather them in butter and golden syrup.....

• Like 1
  • Love 3

As the bakers try to perfect their breakfast muffins, we explore their rise in popularity in Georgian England, initially distributed by a network of muffin men, now immortalised in the famous nursery rhyme.

PBS breaks these out into a separate segment after the show. I never saw any last season (UK series 5). Now I know the muffin man!

• Love 1

Blundering in here much later -- I am watching reruns in the States. Does anybody remember the woman who was eliminated in this episode, her name was Lucy -- what was her accent? One of the many reasons I love this show is how we get to hear all these wonderful regional accents from all around the UK. Hers really struck me as unusual. The website says she's from Lincolnshire, so is that a Lincolnshire accent? Thanks so much to anybody who can tell me. In case you need a reminder, here's a link to a clip from the show featuring her: