Type keyword(s) to search

Pairing Off In Paradise: How Would You Improve the Show?

• Start Topic

Someone had mentioned that a good idea for this show would be when someone new comes in with a date card that there be a name on it already and they would have to go on the date with them.  This pairing up so quickly and no one past week 2 or 3 really makes a connection is sad.  The idea of forceful dating is odd, I admit, but these people that pair up so early, Tanner/Jade, should go on other dates just to see what another person is like.

Or get rid of the pairs, move them to the next cabana over if they want to stay together on holiday and bring in 2 new singles to replace them. If you give your rose to the same person 2 ceremonies in a row then you no longer get the option of dating anyone else.

• Love 4

I'd do it like Ex on the Beach does, a newbie comes in and the "Tablet of Terror" tells them with whom they'll go on a date. And the date happens immediately, before they get the full details about what's going on in the house (or who has paired up).

• Love 3

Jade's brother is the one who said she was a wild mustang.  Maybe that was aimed at her online nudity.  That is a wild thing to do but does not conjure a wild horse galloping free.  Poor analogy.  There is nothing about her personality that screams wild.  She is reserved and kind of shy. 

I think they should require the newcomer to choose a date without talking to anyone.  No, getting the scoop.  If they choose someone who is already partnered it would be up to that person to refuse the date, if they desire.  Plenty of potential for drama there.

Have parlor games (Game Night with Jane Lynch) to allow them to interact, get to know each other more.  It would be fun to watch, too. Sitting around drinking and talking about the others is grim.  

• Love 2

I agree with the above poster who suggested that once couples are paired up for 4 rose ceremonies, they get placed in another house off camera and two more single people take their place -- kind of like MTV's "Are You The One," where once you find "the one," you leave. If you're not willing to even consider dating anyone else in the house (I'm looking at you, Jade and Tanner), then what's the point of staying on "Bachelor in Paradise"?

Perhaps they could have a couples house set up down the road, and at the end of the season we'd see who got sick of whom behind the scenes. I think a lot of the guys would be more open to meeting other women (and visa versa), if they realized they'd be stuck with their current partner in isolation, off camera, for the remainder of the show (cough, cough Jared). Right now people are sticking with their original partners because it keeps them on our TV screens until the end, even when there is ZERO romantic chemistry. It's making the show painfully dull and it's unfair to a lot of the new people who arrive, as they aren't ever given a chance.

Edited by Koala
  • Love 5

How about a rule where you can only give a rose to the same person two times in a row.  And those who want to remain together after the second rose exchange can be moved off-screen until the end (like Koala mentioned above).  From the previews, it looks like most of the couples will bail on each other anyway in the end because it was either a temporary romance or they just wanted air time and to remain on the show to get paid as much as possible.

Another thing has to be everyone showing up at once or maybe another group showing up half way through the season.  It's really not fair to the late arrivals the way it is.

• Love 2

Chris Bukowski every season. Bachelor Nation formally rejects his request for retirement!

With all of the off-screen inter-dating amongst Bachelor Family, they should have more exes on at the same time--especially if one is still pining over the other and wants a second chance at love, but if they just hate each other, that's good, too! They casted Bachelor Pad that way (Jake and Vienna, for example), and it was awesome!

• Love 6

They need to do a combination of Bachelor Pad and BIP. Keep the beach setting, but include some games or something to get the couples off their asses. Maybe when someone new comes in they pick a random name from a hat and the person has to go out with them on the date. I agree that firmly 'wifed up' couples need to leave the show and make room for those who want to meet someone new. And I would love Chris Bukowski and Clare to return every season-eventually they have to find love!

• Love 3

How about a rule where you can only give a rose to the same person two times in a row.  And those who want to remain together after the second rose exchange can be moved off-screen until the end (like Koala mentioned above).  From the previews, it looks like most of the couples will bail on each other anyway in the end because it was either a temporary romance or they just wanted air time and to remain on the show to get paid as much as possible.

Another thing has to be everyone showing up at once or maybe another group showing up half way through the season.  It's really not fair to the late arrivals the way it is.

I think the idea of another "group" showing up is a great idea!.  Maybe several of them could be waiting off-site and by random pick some of the originals must leave to meet them on a date. Some would be overnite dates, but no originals would know about this ahead of time   The others would arrive on site.  All the couples would be freaking out about who their mate is with and if the overnites were done by choice etc .  Everyone would be excited to see who has arrived.  One person arriving is hardly worth getting off the beach chair for.  

No more giving them all a list of who is going to be on the show with them.  That's a dumb idea regardless..  They should not be allowed to tell each other. Easy to get around but at least a deterrent.   

i originally thought if they got 2 roses as couples  then send them home, but I think the couples would conspire to cross-rose..e.g. Tanner gives to Carly , Kirk gives to Jade, so that wouldn't work.    

Competitions needed for sure. maybe for picking order .. the overstocked sex could compete for 2 roses that they hand out first and their pick couldn't refuse..  or immunity--something

Edited by seasick
  • Love 1
If you're not willing to even consider dating anyone else in the house (I'm looking at you, Jade and Tanner), then what's the point of staying on "Bachelor in Paradise"?

That is my biggest problem with the show is it is. Why were Tanner and Jade wasting space? Would Kirk have dumped Carly sooner if it meant leaving the show? Would everyone be hell bent on winning Samantha if they had more choices?

It is boring because we are just watching some vaguely "famous" people on vacation sitting around, drinking and occasionally going places.

How about group dates? See who naturally pairs off? Group dates where they pair off for competitions? Anything that makes them mix more. Musical chairs? Anything!!!!

I do like the idea that once you're "coupled" you're out. It's boring watching Jade and Tanner sit around and do nothing.

They have to do something because I was so looking forward to this show and now I hate it because it is so unbelievably boring.

• Love 3

The best part of this show is when the producers/editors are in on the joke. So Harrison BETTER show up at the next rose ceremony dressed like Hugh Hefner and clinking a mimosa glass.

• Love 6

I would want to improve the show by discouraging the rush to establish "couples" right away.  Have more dates where they are matched up, maybe at random, so that they all have the opportunity to get to know everyone individually.   "dates"  should happen more - one couple goes to dinner, one on a boat ride, another shopping, etc.  that way, the roses are a bit of a surprise, as each person has had some alone time with more than one person of the opposite sex.  The way it is now, they have little to do except make out, lie around n the beach, and drink. 

• Love 7

One thing that does NOT work on this show is when there are established couples, and people are joining the show several weeks in.  Their only option is to try to "break up"  a couple.  there are better ways to do this, perhaps by having the numbers more equal, or having several people join simultaneously.  But I do think it's unfair that someone could have to leave because there's nobody left that isn't attached, and then two days later, a few others show up, who  could have dated the ones who left. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, backformore said:

One thing that does NOT work on this show is when there are established couples, and people are joining the show several weeks in.  Their only option is to try to "break up"  a couple.  there are better ways to do this, perhaps by having the numbers more equal, or having several people join simultaneously.  But I do think it's unfair that someone could have to leave because there's nobody left that isn't attached, and then two days later, a few others show up, who  could have dated the ones who left. 

I agree. I always feel sad for the new people, as they have a more difficult chance to even have the opportunity to find love. I think it would be nice if after everyone couples up, perhaps the group votes on one more person to stay for a chance to find love the next round, like how they all allowed Ashley to stay without a rose. Granted, they might pick an original cast member week after week, but at least the new people coming in would have one completely unattached person as an option.

• Love 2

Ok, here's another suggestion -   if people don't get a rose, they have to leave.  OR they get to plead their case to stay. 

One or the other.    Same rules for everyone, not one special rule for one special "princess".

• Love 3

The coupling up is boring, and gaming the system.   Make them compete for dates with people they like.   Watching sweaty people lying around kissing is dull.   Mix it up and make them work.   Change it to bachelor pad in paradise.   

• Love 8

I disagree that it's a problem when new people have to break up couples to get a shot with someone. That's kind of the entire point of the show, when you think about it and the reason they bring new people in on a rolling basis, rather than just start with a cast of 30 people. But I do agree that it's too easy for people to pair off because they get one day and it's like, "Well, I went on a date with this person, so I guess I should pick them." They should encourage more dates. And I do think there is sufficient time for everyone to get to know everyone just hanging out, but for some reason, couples really only seem to establish themselves on the dates, so they should have everyone go on more than one date before a rose ceremony.

They should not allow exceptions to the rules. Honestly, the Ashley drama bores me. I know this show isn't real -- it's filled within three weeks! How are these people in love?! But that they make exceptions for certain people just kind of makes me as a viewer feel like maybe the whole thing is fake and I shouldn't care very much.

Edited by Falafel
  • Love 1

I disagree that it's a problem when new people have to break up couples to get a shot with someone. That's kind of the entire point of the show, when you think about it and the reason they bring new people in on a rolling basis, rather than just start with a cast of 30 people. But I do agree that it's too easy for people to pair off because they get one day and it's like, "Well, I went on a date with this person, so I guess I should pick them." They should encourage more dates. And I do think there is sufficient time for everyone to get to know everyone just hanging out, but for some reason, couples really only seem to establish themselves on the dates, so they should have everyone go on more than one date before a rose ceremony.

I guess I think about how the order in which people come on dictates what will happen.   Like - if brett had been there from the beginning, and he and Izzy had hooked up, maybe Vinny would have been interested in someone else. If the twins could have given their roses to two guys BEFORE leaving,  the three newer women would have had more choices.  The show needs more mixing up, and less pairing off in couples right away.

Some of the new guys were gone before I could figure out their names or what season they were from.  And some of them might have made good matches for some of the women who came on next, but three guys were all eliminated - leaving poor Wells as the only choice for women who didn't want to break up a couple. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, backformore said:

I guess I think about how the order in which people come on dictates what will happen.   Like - if brett had been there from the beginning, and he and Izzy had hooked up, maybe Vinny would have been interested in someone else. If the twins could have given their roses to two guys BEFORE leaving,  the three newer women would have had more choices.  The show needs more mixing up, and less pairing off in couples right away.

Some of the new guys were gone before I could figure out their names or what season they were from.  And some of them might have made good matches for some of the women who came on next, but three guys were all eliminated - leaving poor Wells as the only choice for women who didn't want to break up a couple. 

Well, yeah, the show has this format specifically so the producers can dictate what happens. That's why Ashley showed up after Caila and why Josh showed up after Nick. I don't see why the producers would get rid of that. It's their best way to try to ensure drama. Nick said they do an extensive pre-show interview where they go through every potential contestant and figure out who wants to date who. They know how to stir the pot -- the timing of the arrivals is not a coincidence. If someone came on the show late, there was a reason for that -- it's not as if it was bad luck for poor Wells.

8 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Ditto on a return to the Bachelor Pad format, but I think Nick P. blew it out of the water.  Anyone with two brain cells to rub together would play the game the same way, and I'm fairly certain TPTB wouldn't want that. 

I agree with that, but I still wish they could bring back the format where the contestants have to do some sort of crazy competition to win the opportunity to go on a date. If they keep the BiP format, but bring back the competition, and perhaps also make the person who wins the competition safe for the week regardless of whether they get a rose, that would bring some more fun into the show without the monetary aspect.

• Love 5

Kick off couples who have been paired up for awhile. 

Bring a date card with a name on it, but the person doesn't know who is waiting for them. Or, at least bring in a new contestant with him/her already picking who they want. No, "Who is left?" After everyone pulls the newbie aside and steers them away from couples.

• Love 3

Also, dig a little deeper into the talent pool. There are a LOT of interesting, good-looking people that have appeared on this show. Don't just focus on the most recent season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette. Mix it up with contestants who don't already know each other. 

Every season the people that come on at the end get the shaft and go home immediately because, "bonds have been formed that are too hard to break." So break them! People coming on later need more time or options to stick around. Make the dates get progressively better over time, so there's incentive for people to go on them. I really feel like 90% of these "couples" are really just two people who feel reasonably comfortable that they'll keep giving each other a rose. That's not fair. Do something to entice breakups of weaker couples. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I really feel like 90% of these "couples" are really just two people who feel reasonably comfortable that they'll keep giving each other a rose. That's not fair. Do something to entice breakups of weaker couples.

This is why Paradise doesn't work. The only point is to stay on the show. The only way to stay on the show is to get a rose. So pairing off for the sake of a rose is a sure way to "win". It's totally dumb luck if a couple actually hit it off.

• Love 6

It might be best to retire the series as it's merely an excuse to bring back Bachelor/Bachelorette rejects.

Across the pond, Love Island has become a cultural institution in 3 short years.  But there the focus is on coupling up immediately and the participants are chosen strictly for their appearance.  Shallow?  Yes but not as bad as you might think.  The Islanders are in a fairly lush villa on Majorca with mostly Big Brother-style two-way mirror camera runs with the odd robot cam or cameraman hidden behind greenery.  None of this steadicam-wearing crewman walking around in plain sight.  The Islanders stay for about two months with the odd intruder worked in.

Fleiss, Harrison & Co. are nothing if not tight with a dollar but they might consider licensing the concept (as Big Brother was from Dutch originator Endemol) and giving the people an upgrade on looks as well as steamy goings on.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 3

I say the go the Hunger Games route. Stick them all on an island and let them pick each other off. Last man and woman standing get married or get thrown in a volcano. It wouldn't be any more ridiculous than watching has-beens who never were sit around and get drunk for a few weeks. 

• Love 1

Ok - how about competitions -  women and men compete separately, in different races, puzzles, games, endurance contests, etc.   Not the intense contests like Survivor.  More laid back,  but still a real competition. 

The men compete for the "date card"  the winner gets first pick among  choices like local carnival, zipline, speedboat, romantic dinner, horseback riding.  The top 5 guys each have different date cards.  the date cards aren't hints - they tell exactly what the date will be.  

The women then compete in a separate comp, and the winner gets first pick of which guy to date, based on both the GUY and the Date card  he chose.  So a guy who won a good date card might be more appealing because of the card. 

The woman who finishes in 5th place will end up with no choice, she gets the guy who's left.  No refusals, no substitutions.  All five couples go on separate dates, the rest of the contestants stay in paradise.    

the next week, it's reversed.  

with something like this, there's more chance for them to mingle, and established couples won't happen as much.  And there's less drama because you "win" the date by winning a contest.  You're not stealing someone else's boyfriend/girlfriend.  And they'll be DOING something, not just lounging/cuddling/drinking. 

• Love 6

My suggestion: group "speed dating"

There shall be six contestant pools, that is, three groups of 6 men (total 18 men) and three groups of 6 women( total 18 women). There shall be three separated beaches, one group of men and one group of women on each beach.  The groups shall have 5 or 6 days ("week") to date each other and pair up.  After that period, each group of men is moved to the next group of women.  Thus, couples are broken up and have the opportunity to pair up with new people.  No rose ceremonies, and no one goes home.  All of the cast members will meet every other cast member.  There would be the opportunity for a person to form multiple connections, e.g. a new one each "week" when they are moved to the next group.

At the end of the three "weeks," all the individuals shall be brought together.  Then each person has to decide who they want to be with. Conflicts and tears ensue, but at least every one has an equal chance at "love."  

Edited by Just Carol
  • Love 4

If you get engaged you are kicked out of Bachelor Nation because, let's face it, you're not a "bachelor" anymore. Watch how quickly the engagement rate drops. 

The can rename it: "Love or Fame" you have to choose, do you want to be with the person you claim to have fallen in love with and lose out on an instagram career or do you ditch your "true love" like a hot potato at the prosepect of more followers. 

It could be fun to watch these morons try to figure out what is just the right amount of "love" and amount of time "dating" to gain a following but not so much that they are kicked off. 

We all know they are scheming, so the show should just lean into it. Show us Stagecoach where one pair began their evil plan. Show the BTS talks with Demi to see if she's a good enough actress to pretend she didn't know her RL girlfriend was coming to STD Island. The show has already proven a willingness to poke fun at itself and the Idiots. Time to go all in. Make it a reality show about making a shitty "reality" show. Make it that show Unreal, but for real. haha

Edited by Mabinogia
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I think the show would be improved if somehow they could make contestants spill the beans on any relationships they have had within the Bachelor franchise, including dates, hook-ups, texts, phone calls.  And then only have people on the show who do NOT have pre-existing relationships with each other.  that way, everyone is starting out on equal footing.  

And I also like the idea of competing for date cards.  And having more than one couple have a date card at a time.  I f they're not already hooked up and coupled up, going on dates is a chance to get to know someone new, not just dating someone you're already in a relationship with, or "breaking up"  a couple.  

Have the guys compete for a date card and the girls compete for a date card, in separate areas. Then the winner on each side meets on the beach for their romantic date, not knowing who they will be meeting. This will force them to mingle with people other than the person they agreed to pretend to be in a relationship with before the show. 

They need to somehow abolish these pre-decided relationships because then it just becomes The Real World:Vacation. This show got a lot less fun once it became watching a bunch of random couples on vacation. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Have the guys compete for a date card and the girls compete for a date card, in separate areas. Then the winner on each side meets on the beach for their romantic date, not knowing who they will be meeting. 

This idea is interesting.  I generally hate the date cards and dates because it is so obvious whom the person wil ask, and by the third "week" coupled-up people will often decline.  Why the heck would we need to see a date between Hannah G and Dylan.  They canoodling in the pool, why take them to another setting to canoodle?  The dates are just product placements anyway.  There is nothing to keep two people from spending time together.  BiP tried to keep date cards from Bach/ette, but the concept does not translate.  Ditto with rose ceremonies.  What is the point in sending people "home" when their dreamboat might be coming down the steps the next day?  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Just Carol said:

I generally hate the date cards and dates because it is so obvious whom the person wil ask, and by the third "week" coupled-up people will often decline.  Why the heck would we need to see a date between Hannah G and Dylan.  They canoodling in the pool, why take them to another setting to canoodle?  The dates are just product placements anyway.  There is nothing to keep two people from spending time together.  BiP tried to keep date cards from Bach/ette, but the concept does not translate.  Ditto with rose ceremonies.  What is the point in sending people "home" when their dreamboat might be coming down the steps the next day?  

Remember way back when "date card" and "rose ceremony" had at least a hint of suspense. "Who will they ask?" ooooh. Now even the people who come in late get told who they are and aren't allowed to ask. It's total boring ass BS. 

The only other option is forbidding them from asking the same person they just had a date with. Something, anything to mix things up a bit. It's boring watching boring couples make out on a mediocre beach. 

• Love 5
On 9/6/2015 at 3:25 AM, Koala said:

I agree with the above poster who suggested that once couples are paired up for 4 rose ceremonies, they get placed in another house off cawo more single people take their place -- kind of like MTV's "Are You The One," where once you find "the one," you leave. If you're not willing to even consider dating anyone else in the house (I'm looking at you, Jade and Tanner), then what's the point of staying on "Bachelor in Paradise"?

Perhaps they could have a couples house set up down the road, and at the end of the season we'd see who got sick of whom behind the scenes. I think a lot of the guys would be more open to meeting other women (and visa versa), if they realized they'd be stuck with their current partner in isolation, off camera, for the remainder of the show (cough, cough Jared). Right now people are sticking with their original partners because it keeps them on our TV screens until the end, even when there is ZERO romantic chemistry. It's making the show painfully dull and it's unfair to a lot of the new people who arrive, as they aren't ever given a chance.

This could be a good idea,because I feel like some people(Kamil) have definitely used other people to stay on longer even if there was no chemistry.

• Love 1