Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Other than Vicki, this was a most unpleasant episode to watch.  Matt's so intense that it looks like he's mad at the world, and the other guy - Jedidiah - might as well have just stayed home.  Unfortunately, it looks like Matt could be around for a while.  He's just so damn creepy...

• Love 6

I finally got FJ! *doing happy dance*

Matt has tipped over from Annoyingly Intense into Total Asshat. Lighten up, buddy, and take your meds! Sheesh! I wanted to reach through my screen and slap him during the intro. He's smart but insufferable.

I'm really sorry Vicki didn't win. My home town guy was a wash out.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 6

I like Matt! He came to play and gosh darn it! he's going to play! Seriously, I admire his intensity. I'd love to see him pitted against a contestant who stares at the board making up his/her mind! I can imagine the daggers shooting from his eyes! I am mildly embarrassed, however, at having failed FJ. Though not as bad as "Rolling Stone" or "Janis Joplin Band" (Big Brother & the Holding Company), I blanked! And "the Weight" was on constant replay in my youth, but I think I almost always missed the first couple of lines.

• Love 3

Matt is hard to watch.  He lacks any charm but he is smart.  And dammit, he's there to play.   I got a kick out of the daggers he was giving Alex at the beginning when Alex had to give his inane comments by saying Matt was so serious until the announcer mentioned how much money he won.  I could almost hear Matt thinking, "shut up Alex and start the game."  haha.

I would have been happy if Vickie had won.

• Love 7

This is yet another instance in which I just don't see what most of you see in a contestant; I missed Friday's episode, but Matt didn't bother me at all tonight.  He's a bit abrupt in his answers, but it's barely noticeable to me until I come here and read about it.  He's a good player.  He also reminds me (physically) of a World Trade Center survivor who gave great interviews in a documentary years ago, so I rather like him.

Great balls of fire, I apparently know jack all about botanists.

I got FJ because the line "I pulled into Nazareth..." popped into my head based on the year - I love that song (and The Band) - but I never knew that was how the band Nazareth got its name.

• Love 1

I don't mind Matt either. He's serious, but I just take it as him being focused. Doesn't bother me at all.

However, I was kinda rooting for Vicki, or at least that Matt didn't completely take over the game. I just want it more evenly matched. Oh, and I don't like his starting in the middle of the categories.

I didn't get FJ. I'm not even sure I know that song. I'll have to look it up to see if I've ever heard it.*

Least favorite part of the ep: Alex's horrible imitation of the great Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke. Alex, just... no.

*ETA - Just looked it up. Yes, of course I've heard it before. "The Weight." But I didn't really know the lyrics.

Edited by peeayebee

I don't dislike Matt (yet), but I do dislike runaway games. Vickie was giving him a good run for his money last night until the second half of DJ. And yes, Alex should lay off the impressions.

I did not know FJ. I was trying to figure out who was singing songs with religious allusions in 1968 and could only think of Norman Greenbaum's one-hit wonder "Spirit in the Sky."

• Love 3

While watching the episode,I realized that Matt is what it would be like if Sheldon was on Jeopardy.

Except that Sheldon would never ever start in the middle of the category.  He'd start with the left-most column and work his way across the board, completing a category before moving on to the next one.

• Love 12

Other than his volume, which wasn't as bad Monday, Matt didn't bother me as much yesterday. He's just an intense player. His starting in the middle doesn't irk me either since he seems to stay in a category once he picks it. I don't like his stepping on Alex while Alex is speaking just because I find that to be rude, but I don't think Matt is Vern aware he's doing it; he really just came to play.

It was a tough game for me. I didn't do well in botanists and had no clue on FJ. I've heard of The Band but am not familiar with their music. Based on what some of you have posted, it sounds like I need to check them out. I like classic rock, but the station I listen to seems to think there were only about ten bands back then and plays the same stuff over and over.

• Love 1

They were painful.  Plus her FJ answer was terrible -- the clue clearly indicated the city was on the Mediterranean.  And her guess was Amsterdam.  Uggh.

In her defense, so was mine, and I've been to both cities.  For some reason I thought they were asking for a capital city and completely ignored "Mediterranean"; one of those "read the clue you idiot!" moments.

Thank you Carpe! That eloquently sums up my irritation as well. I also lost respect for them when no one knew where Oliver Queen lived. Clearly not watching enough TV, because that wasn't the only TS in that category. I thought the woman had a vision problem because she spent so long squinting at the board, and now we're stuck with Mad Matt. Why couldn't they all lose?

I don't know who Oliver Queen is, so obviously that clue was a stumper for me.  Whatever show he's on, I obviously don't watch it.

• Love 1

Or people lose their turn if they take so long staring at categories like it was the first time seeing them.

My irritation pet peeve: When one category is left, and the contestant says, "I'll take Last Category Left On The Board, please, for 100 dollars, Alex." When just saying "100" gets the same result.

They used to tell contestants to just say the dollar amount for the last category in each round during the initial green room briefing.  Of course, for me that was seven years ago.  I wonder if they still do.

I thought everyone would love Matt, since he doesn't waste time on niceties. He barely lets Alex stop talking!

I find him amusing, but it may get old if he has any kind of a long run.

I don't mind Matt, although he is a little intense.  But I do dislike runaway games.  I like to have a little suspense going into FJ.

I am mildly embarrassed, however, at having failed FJ. Though not as bad as "Rolling Stone" or "Janis Joplin Band" (Big Brother & the Holding Company), I blanked!

I guessed Led Zeppelin.  I'm familiar with "The Weight", and as soon as the guy in the middle revealed his answer, I could hear the first line in my head, and went "D'OH!".

• Love 1

I really enjoy Crazy Matt, because he shuts Alex down so well. Alex is trying to put a postscript on the answers to make himself look so damn smart, and meanwhile Matt is calling out the next category, like "ain't got TIME for that shit, Trebek." Love it. I also appreciate that, after a long time of never getting through the damn board, Matt makes SURE we get through the ENTIRE board. 

• Love 7

I'm loving Matt, too. Especially after I whined about those players who say the complete title name + ummms + dollars + please. Give me 3 Matts and watch them finish the board way before Alex tells them "1 minute remaining."

• Love 4

While I would be driven insane by Matt in real life (I should be Southern, I like comfortable rather than probing), I like him as a player. No "tics" except a robotic delivery. No cutsey-poo affectations. No time-wasting pandering. Just "I'm all about the game" intensity.  Fast playing. Gets through the whole board.

Now, I'd hate to see him become the norm on Jeopardy (my favorite players tend to be the relaxed types: Julia Collins, Tom Nissley, Larissa Kelly), but I like that he's come to play and does just that.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4

Wasn't Nazareth a one hit wonder group? Anyone here not familiar w/The Band, probably is, but just can't make the connection. You should check out their albums or watch The Last Waltz doc. 

Missed Matt on Friday as we were still hip-deep in Pope coverage, but didn't mind him last night. He was there to play.

...except, he's one of those folks who begin sentences with "so..."  Well, sort of.  During the contestant interview, Alex does the setup and Matt says, "yeah, so..." and then proceeds with the story.  WHY do so many people start off with "so..."  It irritates me to no end.  Reminds of Reagan and his, "Well, ..."

• Love 1

I could almost hear Matt thinking, "shut up Alex and start the game."

Just like you can hear me SAYING the same thing, if anyone out there is listening.

Yeah! I'm hep to Matt. I like him and his way to cutting to the chase and playing the freaking GAME for pete's sake, without giving a dissertation in order to select a clue. Plus he'd done no dancing, hasn't whipped out any drum sticks, hasn't quoted SNL or played to the camera, doesn't wear his hair in a freakish way, and he dresses politely. And, best of all, he's all about playing the game. I'll take 20 Matts before one Dancing Jennifer or Turdlinger Talia.

Plus the guy is smart, so there's that, too, and quick on the buzzer. And I love me the runaway games. Matt is a win-win for me!

I don't know who Oliver Queen is, so obviously that clue was a stumper for me.  Whatever show he's on, I obviously don't watch it.

Oh, my. You are missing a treat for the eyeballs. And a perfectly delectable way to learn about salmon ladders.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

I didn't see last night's game so there's just one thing I want to know - is Matt a board hopper?  Of all the different swaying, dancing, smirking, squinting et al sins, I think that is the worst.

• Love 1

I didn't see last night's game so there's just one thing I want to know - is Matt a board hopper?  Of all the different swaying, dancing, smirking, squinting et al sins, I think that is the worst.

He's more of a start-in-the-middle-of-the-board guy. Then he seems to work is way down to the higher-valued clues.

• Love 2

I would prefer to watch an actual human play the game.  Matt's wiring doesn't seem to be all properly hooked up.

Oh my god--an absolutely perfect description of the "thing that is the current Jeopardy champion." LOL. He can't be real, can he? I kept trying to think of the animal he looked like, when my hubby said, weasel. So I looked one up. But Mr. W. was soooo much cuter. And I imagine, friendlier. Grins more. Hugs more. Touches more. Pleaseeeeee somebody, beat this current very good player (I will give him that)!

PS: Does he sound remotely "normal" during his "conversations?"

Edited by just prin
  • Love 2
I don't like his stepping on Alex while Alex is speaking just because I find that to be rude, but I don't think Matt is Vern aware he's doing it;

I don't see how he can be unaware of always talking over the host of the show.  I'm far from loving Alex's comments, especially if the writers think they've been clever, but Matt is flat out rude. 

But I have a pet peeve about interrupters.

• Love 5

Seriously, irrational as a DD? At least it was in the Jeopardy round. The UK DD was pretty easy as well. I'm glad they both got these correct.

Also surprised nobody got Mayim Bialik. The "blossomed" in the clue was a dead giveaway.

Matt really seems to step up his game in the Double Jeopardy round. I am quite impressed with his knowledge and I like the way he speeds up the game. I don't think he intentionally interrupts Alex, he just doesn't have the natural pauses that Alex usually uses to interject. I am very hesitant to criticize Matt's personality since the way someone acts on Jeopardy isn't necessarily a good representation of the way they act in real life, but when he says things, I feel like it's his delivery that is off. As in, it's not the things he says, it's that he says them like a really bad actor trying to play a role. It sounds rehearsed. I was surprised to find out he was in the school play in high school - and I think he mentioned that he was the lead - because of this.

All I knew for FJ was that it was in the Netherlands, and probably Amsterdam. I'd never heard of the museum before.

• Love 4

Canteloupe? St. Rose? Come on.

Alan needs to STOP violating the button. And how strange that he guessed James Garner for Tommy Lee Jones, but didn't know who James Garner actually was.

Oh we're all going to start in the middle of the categories? Alrighty then.

I didn't realize that being irrational required therapy. Thanks Jeopardy!

Put Zachary Quinto speaking with a clue about sharing the same role and the frakking picture of Leonard Nimoy was ENTIRELY superfluous.

Sorry Alex, apparently I should know it, but I've never heard of that museum.

Other than Matt's intensity, I don't mind him. Other than the interrupting, also.

• Love 2

Sorry Alex, apparently I should know it, but I've never heard of that museum.

Perhaps, if they showed a picture...or a map?

I was silly tonight.  Everytime someone responded with a last name, i.e., Pike, I shouted out Be More Specific!!  (Although, I know that I know Pike's first name, I couldn't think of Zebulon to save my life, so a BMS would've hurt me.)

• Love 3

Perhaps, if they showed a picture...or a map?

If you've never heard of the museum, a picture or a map wouldn't help at all.

For me, I knew the country and could therefore guess the city, but unless the photo included the name of the museum, I still would have been useless at FJ.

• Love 1

Just wanted to say hello. CarpeDiem54 told me about this forum. (-:

Is it just me, or have the majority of the contestants so far this season started in the middle or at the end of the categories?

Hey, flipoid! Welcome! And, yes, many of the contestants this season think it's cute to start mid-category.

I guessed the Van Gogh Museum. I've never heard of the famous museum Alex thinks we all know.

It looks like we're stuck with Matt the Grinchy Sheldon Cooper. I did have to laugh at the end when Alex snarkily commented that Grinchy only smiled when the amount of money he'd won was mentioned.

• Love 2

Hey, flipoid! Welcome! And, yes, many of the contestants this season think it's cute to start mid-category.

I guessed the Van Gogh Museum. I've never heard of the famous museum Alex thinks we all know.

I knew the FJ answer because I used to read a bunch of romances in which a good portion of the story took place in the Netherlands. I don't know that I'd have been able to spell it, though!

• Love 2

Well, I knew who Beatrix was, but had no idea what museum was involved. I ran the hairless bands category! I really do appreciate Matt as a player! I find that I have to step up my game as a viewer and pay attention, because I must have gotten used to the pauses generally and he just does not allow for them! Plus, he's smart, wagers well, and doesn't buzz in when he's unsure. I hope he has a long run.

• Love 2

Tonight's game was pretty similar to last night's--the player at the end gives Matt a run for his money in the first round, only to come apart in DJ and let Matt score enough for a runaway. The third player is barely there. I was sure Alan would ring in when James Garner was the correct answer. And I could not believe he thought Philip Seymour Hoffmann was 82!

I like the comparison of Matt with Banya. I don't see "Sheldon Cooper" in him at all. Sheldon would answer questions in a smug "duh, of course I know this!" languid kind of way.

• Love 2

The Rijksmuseum has a lot of Rembrandt's work plus a lot of Dutch artists who aren't Van Gogh. I've been to Amsterdam a few times and it's kind of like their National Gallery. But if you haven't been to Europe or aren't particularly into art museums, then it's probably not common knowledge like the Louvre or the Hermitage.

• Love 2

I missed Matt's first win because, The Pope.

The second win I found him wholly unpleasant to watch. I appreciate knowledge but it's a TV show. It should be entertaining, engaging but with Matt I felt like I was watching a video of someone playing Jeopardy alone in their living room, just running through the answers like a race against time.

But tonight I felt he warmed up a little. Maybe he had a friend in the audience who was like, Dude... I usually FF through the contestant stories but I happened to see them and I felt like Matt made a real effort telling his, and I warmed to him a little. Still find the runaways boring, but I also wouldn't have wanted to sit through another game of Alan's wild guesses -- Philip Seymour Hoffman??? -- and buzzer abuse. 

ETA - I almost forgot about Cam. I'll take robotic over long pauses any day of the week.

Edited by YoureSoUrban

The Rijksmuseum has a lot of Rembrandt's work plus a lot of Dutch artists who aren't Van Gogh. I've been to Amsterdam a few times and it's kind of like their National Gallery. But if you haven't been to Europe or aren't particularly into art museums, then it's probably not common knowledge like the Louvre or the Hermitage.

Yeah. When the category came up, I instantly went through the list of major European Museums in my head. As another Amsterdam traveler, it was an Instaget for me, but I double checked my brain to go through the other museums. You'd have to know Europe, museums, or art history to get that answer. It's fantastic museum too. It's their National Gallery mixed with some of their version of a British Museum.

• Love 1

And I could not believe he thought Philip Seymour Hoffmann was 82!

And wasn't that in the double-m category, anyway?  I said Jack Lemmon, but it was Christopher Plummer.

When the FJ clue was read, I told the cats, "The Rembrandt Museum" and then I was lookin' around, wondering if there really is a Rembrandt Museum.  Just as the theme ended, I came up with Rijksmuseum...I would've been too late.

• Love 2

I missed Matt's first win because, The Pope.

... Still find the runaways boring, but I also wouldn't have wanted to sit through another game of Alan's wild guesses -- Philip Seymour Hoffman??? -- and buzzer abuse. 

ETA - I almost forgot about Cam. I'll take robotic over long pauses any day of the week.

The only time I like the runaways is when there is a contestant I really want to win, but otherwise, the closer games are much more exciting and fun.

And I am not knowledgeable about a lot of relatively current celebrities, but even I knew that Hoffman didn't make it to age 82! The answer didn't fit the category either.

Though I have to say that even though there are lots of times I get the right answer while at home, I have to admire anyone who is a contestant, no matter what quirks are exhibited. I know I wouldn't do nearly as well in front of the TV cameras as I do in front of my TV.

• Love 3

Yeah, it was an instaget for me as I've been there, and I was initially surprised to see several people say they knew it was Amsterdam but not the museum because it's the premier museum in Amsterdam, but ultimately I came to the same conclusion as you.

When the FJ clue was read, I told the cats, "The Rembrandt Museum" and then I was lookin' around, wondering if there really is a Rembrandt Museum.

It's terrific, because it's his house, and they were able to figure out pretty much exactly where his easel was placed, so you can stand in the same spot he did with the light streaming in from the window -- it's a great experience.

I'm a bit surprised Alan performed as well as he did, as he had some stunningly bad answers.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Least favorite part of the ep: Alex's horrible imitation of the great Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke. Alex, just... no.

That was awful. I actually cringed. For me his accents are almost as bad. I don't speak French but to me there's something off about his.

I'm quite impressed with his French accent.  In general, when he attempts to read a clue by mimicking the accent of the person being described, it's cringe worthy.  But when he's just properly pronouncing a foreign word, he has a much better batting average - especially when it's French (which makes sense, given his background).

• Love 2