Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

STOP THE ACCENTS, TREBECK! The Pancho Villa quote was beyond painful.

I know!  That was so ridiculous it took me right out of the game.  And it just seemed to be some generic accent, not really a Spanish/Mexican one.  Tone down your ego Alex.  Nobody wants to hear these non-jokes.

• Love 2

I know!  That was so ridiculous it took me right out of the game.  And it just seemed to be some generic accent, not really a Spanish/Mexican one.  Tone down your ego Alex.  Nobody wants to hear these non-jokes.

I guess I am of the unpopular opinion that they are amusing.  Or at least, it doesn't bother me when he does that.  I have bigger fish to fry, like first names.

• Love 6

When Trebek was doing his accents yesterday, it occurred to me that he needs the attention and craves being the star of the show. Or else he's so freakishly bored after all of these years, he's trying to entertain himself.

I know ... I'm giving him a pass. Me, the driver of the Anti-Trebek Bus! Not that I don't enjoy all the accent posts above! 

• Love 1

I couldn't believe sweat glands was a TS.  No one knowing The Commodores sang Brick House was surprising enough, but not being able to identify the tubular structures that cool the skin and body? 

• Love 1

I couldn't believe sweat glands was a TS.  No one knowing The Commodores sang Brick House was surprising enough, but not being able to identify the tubular structures that cool the skin and body? 

I was going to guess sweat glands, but something about the way the clue was phrased made me hesitate.  And I said Earth, Wind & Fire for Brick House - I can never remember which group did that song, but I know it's one of the two.

• Love 1

I got sweat glands -- well, I guess we ALL have sweat glands, but you know what I mean -- however, the word "tubular" threw me for a second. I suspect that threw the three contestants off too.

It threw me off totally - I said pores.

Re the music categories - I used to kick butt on music categories but then time passed, my music got old and new music came along that I don't know anything about.  So I no longer kick butt on music categories; the only one I got last night was the Monkees.  I guess Natalie liked them too.

• Love 3

It threw me off totally - I said pores.

Me too, unfortunately.  That tubular part of the clue threw me off.

Re the music categories - I used to kick butt on music categories but then time passed, my music got old and new music came along that I don't know anything about.  So I no longer kick butt on music categories; the only one I got last night was the Monkees.  I guess Natalie liked them too.

I used to love Rock and Roll Jeopardy -- too bad it only ran for 4 years.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I'm glad that the middle contestant lost because she answered everything like she was asking a question.  Her FJ reply of The Little Prince was pretty funny, though.

I know!!! Do people who up talk not realize it? So that everything sounds like a question? That they're not sure of themselves? ;)

• Love 5

Why snark on the new champ, when everybody missed FJ? I could not believe that was a TS. They were all old enough to remember 2008. I guess it was natural to think the year was earlier, but the clue did say "only," not "most recent."

• Love 2

Well, I'm not American so I was pretty pleased that I was able to answer FJ, but also quite surprised none of the contestants were able to get it.

I am very sad to see Natalie go; I quite liked her and I have a feeling the new champ will be a one-and-done.

• Love 4

Geez...Women's Wear Daily and Roger Clemens both TS?

I didn't like Cynthia Rowley's turtleneck and jacket combo the first time I saw it on Celebrity Jeopardy, so it was obvious when they had her film her clue for tonight's game.  Didn't like it any better today.

• Love 4

Why snark on the new champ, when everybody missed FJ?

He missed a lot of really obvious things, or just totally biffed them (i.e. "North Carolina" for "these two letters," and a total misunderstanding of the portmanteau category). Don't worry, he won't be champ for long.

• Love 6

Dylan - boo hiss. Not only not very bright, but his starting on high dollar clues and not getting them correct, or ringing in at all, irritated me.

As much as I liked Natalie, her answer of NATO instead of Solidarity was mind blowing. And Alex should have said BMS on her answer of butterflies instead of filling in Monarch for her.

I must be an idiot. Can someone explain FJ to me?

• Love 2

The FJ asked which year (since 1952) both presidential candidates were neither former presidents or VPs. This was made easier by the fact that it said there was only one year that this was the case. So 2000 was wrong because the Dem candidate was Al Gore (former VP). The answer was 2008 because neither Obama nor McCain had been president or vice president before :)

• Love 2

The FJ asked which year (since 1952) both presidential candidates were neither former presidents or VPs. This was made easier by the fact that it said there was only one year that this was the case. So 2000 was wrong because the Dem candidate was Al Gore (former VP). The answer was 2008 because neither Obama nor McCain had been president or vice president before :)

Oh! That's easy, then! I totally misread the question. I thought it was asking which President or VP was not a member of a major party and I couldn't think of any Independents. Duh!

Aww we have a new champ? I liked her. I didn't get to see today show since the station that carries it is out of Philadelphia. Since the Pope is coming they decided we needed a one hour lesson on the history of Catholics in Philadelphia

I was blown away by FJ being a TS.  I guess they all started with 1952 and worked their way forward, thus running out of time before getting to the right answer, rather than having recent history pop into their head and thus thinking, as I did, "Um, 2008?"

I loved, in a sick sort of way, I suppose, that the DD about the North Carolina flag had a trap built into it.  Because it was a fairly easy clue, I thought, yet easy to ignore the wording (as the contestant did) and thus answer with the state rather than the letters. 

Monterey surprised me a little bit as a TS, as did amicable, telemetry and weight.  Electrocution and Roger Clemens going unanswered really surprised me.

Did any other X-Files fans yell, "Roswell!  Roswell!" in homage to Jose Chung's From Outer Space in answering the adventure travel question?

I was quite sad that Monterey was a TS.

I pouted answering Roswell. My dad was stationed there in the early 60s and we took a family trip there when I was 15. He wouldn't let me go in the UFO museum.

Edited since "poured" is very different from "pouted"

Edited by Pallida
  • Love 2

Is it me or does it seem like they aren't getting through all the clues lately? I've only noticed because there's been a couple categories I was interested in recently and they never finished them. I don't feel like they're moving slow.

As for FJ, since I was born in 1987 and don't really know that much about the elections before then, I decided to start at the most recent and work my way back. Fortunately, I didn't have to go too far back to figure out it was 2008.

• Love 2

And Alex should have said BMS on her answer of butterflies instead of filling in Monarch for her.

I thought so too.

I was surprised no one got Monterey - I thought their jazz festival was very well known.

All I've been thinking while she was there was that I couldn't have taught school with that last name - the kids would have had a field day.

I kept thinking of Mafia type characters like Louie the Lip or Johnny Tightlips.

I did not get FJ.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

Woo Hoo!  I suck at political categories, but I got last night's FJ right!  I just figured it was Obama's first election, and counted back by 4 from 2016.  Go, me!  :-)

I got sweat glands -- well, I guess we ALL have sweat glands, but you know what I mean -- however, the word "tubular" threw me for a second. I suspect that threw the three contestants off too.

Yeah, it was the 'tubular' which confused me.

• Love 2
Natalie's FJ wasn't the worst possible answer;  she was probably thinking that Ford wasn't elected to anything.

Doh! I also said 1976, but I was thinking Dole was running for Pres. Of course Ford was running as the incumbent with Dole as the VP. 

• Love 1

Natalie's FJ wasn't the worst possible answer;  she was probably thinking that Ford wasn't elected to anything.  Jeopardy is pretty bad about putting tricks like that in the FJ's.  (Especially Oscar winning years being one year off).  I'll miss Natalie - I thought she was very smart and personable.  All I've been thinking while she was there was that I couldn't have taught school with that last name - the kids would have had a field day.

Natalie's worst possible answer in the match was when she guessed that NATO was a trade union founded in Poland.  That was a pretty bad guess.

Scores were unimpressive at the end of the Jeopardy round.  Lots of TS in the DJ round.

And Natalie completely flames out in FJ and ends up in 3rd.  I don't think new champ Dylan will last long.

• Love 3

Heck, I can't even come up with which years were election years, so I didn't even try on FJ. Even if I counted backward from 2016 by fours, I wouldn't be able to come up with candidate names. I never would write "T. Ferguson" though.

I did run the "Dog" category the other day, so there's that if it speaks to my redemption.

And yes to the missing BMS for the butterfly answer. Who knows, maybe there is a strain of Carson Butterflies?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Heck, I can't even come up with which years were election years, so I didn't even try on FJ. Even if I counted backward from 2016 by fours, I wouldn't be able to come up with candidate names. I never would write "T. Ferguson" though

Fortunately we didn't need to know candidate names, because all I had was Obama and that other guy; couldn't think of McCain's name to save my life but knew he hadn't been President or VP.

• Love 2

Natalie's worst possible answer in the match was when she guessed that NATO was a trade union founded in Poland.  That was a pretty bad guess.

Looked to me like as the words came out of her mouth, she immediately regretted it, like she realized she misunderstood the clue.

And yes to the missing BMS for the butterfly answer. Who knows, maybe there is a strain of Carson Butterflies?

Exactly -- people aren't climbing the mountains in Mexico just to look at any old butterflies, it's specifically to see monarch butterflies and Trebek filled in the missing piece for her.  Bah !!!

• Love 2

Jeopardy is pretty bad about putting tricks like that in the FJ's.  (Especially Oscar winning years being one year off).

I don't think those are tricks--I think that's just a 'feature' of how Oscars are awarded.  (Oscars for year N are awarded in year N+1, if anyone doesn't know what we mean, although I'd guess most people in here do.)  If anything, I think they're quite good about maintaining those distinctions.  I don't recall any screwups.

Natalie's worst possible answer in the match was when she guessed that NATO was a trade union founded in Poland.  That was a pretty bad guess.

Looked to me like as the words came out of her mouth, she immediately regretted it, like she realized she misunderstood the clue.

Both of you are correct. Here is what Natalie tweeted (@Natalie_Lips):

"I'm glad more people are disappointed in me about the NATO answer than Final #Jeopardy. I KNEW IT WAS DUMB AS SOON AS I SAID IT"

• Love 3

I liked both Barbara and Austin - sorry neither of them won, as I am not a fan of Dylan's style of play.

I thought the game was  boring and unimpressive, and it totally illustrated the danger of starting out with the higher value clues and wasting the DDs.

• Love 3