Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I agree, a lot of the questions were really easy, also in yesterday's game.

Then his FJ wager is pathetic.  He was really lucky today

He sure was!  Lizzie could have still have won if she hadn't bet so much.

TS's I got were James Galway, The Fugitive and Caftan.  I said Spirit of New Orleans instead of City of, but at least I got the New Orleans right.  Also got Tulip which was one of Steve's missed DD's.

I kicked myself for not getting Julian calendar since today is Orthodox Catholics'  Christmas because they follow the Julian calendar, and it was reported on the news several times throughout the day.

Instaget FJ.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Although it is kind of a moot point, since Nova Scotia is not an island, and the clue specified island.

I didn't know Newfoundland is an island and Nova Scotia is not! I'm just saying, those two on the tv aren't the only people in the world who wouldn't have gotten that FJ.

• Love 2

I guess the Fugitive was before all of the contestant's time.

I said to my sister, "Kids these days."

James Galway was super-easy. I don't know how many times I saw him on The Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson. Seems like a lot. One thing I always remember about him is that his eyes flick back and forth rapidly as he plays. I don't know if this is an eye condition of his, but somewhere I heard that this kind of rapid movement has a name.

I guessed Pope Pius. Seems like there's been a lot of Piusus. Pi-i?

Obviously Steve forgot that the category for that one DD was "Nine," otherwise he certainly would have gotten Beethoven's Ninth. Right? Anyway, I'm glad he squeaked in another win.

• Love 4

Nystagmus.  Frank Langella and Pruitt Taylor Vince (JJ LaRoche of The Mentalist) also suffer from nystagmus.

Perhaps it's just me, but I do not consider "The City of New Orleans" an Arlo Guthrie song. The late, great STEVE GOODMAN wrote it and deserves the credit for it.  He had to buy Arlo a beer before Arlo would even listen to it. (Arlo says it's the best beer he's ever had...) LOL.

• Love 6

Obviously Steve forgot that the category for that one DD was "Nine," otherwise he certainly would have gotten Beethoven's Ninth. Right? Anyway, I'm glad he squeaked in another win.

I was saying "NINTH!" more and more insistently while he dithered.  He did make a little "duh" gesture when he looked back at the categories right after, so I'm pretty sure that slipped his mind.  I do like Steve though; he's got a nice breadth of knowledge (and he's a bit of a dish), so I'm glad he lucked out too.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 3

As somebody from Atlantic Canada, I was surprised that they all got the right geographic area but then only one could connect "Terre Neuve" to Newfoundland. I guess if you didn't speak French?

I speak French, but I must have some kind of mental block about Newfoundland.  I keep forgetting that it's an island, and since the clue specified island, I just couldn't get to Newfoundland in time for it to count.

Nova Scotia means New Scot-Land, no? It's not that far from New-Found Land, if you're working from New Land, which honestly could be anything, couldn't it??

And I couldn't do jack on the "only A" category.

I guess what I'm saying is, the game was not easy for me today!

I thought a lot of the game was easy, but I didn't do well in the A category, and I've already mentioned my Newfoundland problem.  Overall, though, the games have been too easy lately - like too easy for the teen tournament.

• Love 2

Can't figure out how to quote

Does anyone else remember the final line of the series (spoken by the narrator)?

I remember watching it although I was only 10.  Put me out of my misery....

• Love 1

Can't figure out how to quote

Does anyone else remember the final line of the series (spoken by the narrator)?

I remember watching it although I was only 10.  Put me out of my misery....

I looked it up on Wikipedia.  Narrator William Conrad says in a voiceover, "Tuesday, August 29th.  The day the running stopped."   I loved that show.

Nystagmus.  Frank Langella and Pruitt Taylor Vince (JJ LaRoche of The Mentalist) also suffer from nystagmus.

Well, I also had to look up Nystagmyus.  I loved JJ LaRoche on the Mentalist.  Never knew his affliction had a name.  This board is as educational as Jeopardy itself!

I didn't know Newfoundland is an island and Nova Scotia is not! I'm just saying, those two on the tv aren't the only people in the world who wouldn't have gotten that FJ.

I can't count the number of times someone says FJ was so easy and I have no clue.  You're definitely not alone.  For whatever reason, Terre Neuve just clicked with me this time.

• Love 2

This is just getting ridiculous on how easy these questions are in the Jeopardy round -- a map of the Bahamas, a picture of Rick James, a statue of Jefferson Davis, a picture of gravy boat -- come on.  Heck, Lizzie was from Alabama, I'm pretty sure she knows who Jefferson Davis is. And that whole California cities ending in 'O' category was way too easy.  And then the Seven Dwarfs category -- how easy was that ?  1 in 7 chance of simply guessing correct.

Did they really go 0 for 5 in that 'A' is the only vowel category -- that's pretty sad.

I guess the Fugitive was before all of the contestant's time.

FJ was an instaget.  Newfoundland, really ?  How did Lizzie not get that, because it was pretty easy.

The gravy boat got to me - really? Does no one use a gravy boat at holiday dinners any more? I mean, yeah, I use a glass measuring cup most of the time because I'm lazy, but still...
  • Love 8

The use of the word "idiot" for the "savant" answer bothered me because "idiot savant" was a pejorative term for someone who had a mental disability but had exceptional ability in a limited area such as math or musical ability.  I think the Jeopardy writers could have done a better job at writing this clue because the tone of the clue seemed very tongue-in-cheek to me. 

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 3

Congrats to Adam; he looks nice and didn't have any obvious failings so I hope he'll stay around awhile.

I said "poster boy" for FJ but I didn't have much confidence in it, and rightly so:)  Role model didn't even enter my mind.

• Love 2

Today's FJ was exciting, sorry to to see Steve go, but the new champ did well. While watching, Mr. Chevious briefly glanced at the TV in passing and said Ava is a man. She did remind me of a gothic character in an Addams Family kind of way. Did anyone else notice this or am I getting dotty in my old age?

• Love 1

Ava was a robot. Sorry to see Steve go, but he was terrible with DDs for some reason. I screamed, "American Library Association" at him but he didn't listen. Adam should be a good champ - personable, smart, cute and can spell whilst drinking.

I was totally clueless on FJ. :-(

• Love 4

My only issue with Adam is that whole starting in the middle of the category thing.  He was inconsistent about it though, so I won't judge him too harshly.  :)

Role model was an instaget for me, and I can't believe Steve, when faced with the name Dewey in the clue, didn't at least come up with something library-related. 

• Love 5

I'm gonna guess that it took a lot of courage for Ava to go on Jeopardy!  I don't think I'd have been able to do it.  It's scary enough without all the extra baggage of being some kind of pioneer and to know that people are going to talk about you afterward, just for who you are.

• Love 10

Today's FJ was exciting, sorry to to see Steve go, but the new champ did well. While watching, Mr. Chevious briefly glanced at the TV in passing and said Ava is a man. She did remind me of a gothic character in an Addams Family kind of way. Did anyone else notice this or am I getting dotty in my old age?

Mr Sierra Mist said the same thing (Ava is a man).  That never even occurred to me, even with the deep voice.  She was very stiff, though. 

I had no clue about FJ.  I said Personal Best just to have a guess.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 1

FJ came to me instantly, but I did second guess myself a bit because I don't primarily associate it with athletes. 

The "-age" clues were all too easy for DJ, but sage - complete with picture - was particularly over-valued.

I didn't recognize Jet Li (I've heard the name, but had no face to go with it), but I agree that the wrong guesses were rather mind boggling.

I was rooting for Ava.  Good play all around, though.

• Love 1

Mr Sierra Mist said the same thing (Ava is a man).  That never even occurred to me, even with the deep voice.  She was very stiff, though. 

I wasn't going to say anything, but I did wonder if she was trans. Anyway, her monotone wasn't too pleasant, and I didn't like that she kept looking at the camera after she chose a clue. I believe the clues are shown on a monitor near the camera as well as on the big board.

I had no clue about FJ.  I said Personal Best just to have a guess.

That's what I was trying to come up with. I was picturing a movie starring Mariel Hemingway. It's called 'Personal Best.' Needless to say, I didn't get FJ.

There were a couple of TSs I got. One was "learning" in the Pope category. I also got "monkey" in the martial arts category. 

Once again I was foiled by my confusion over Aztec, Inca, and Mayan.

• Love 2

According to her Facebook page, Ava is a runway model, so I'm guessing getting up in front of people with the possibility of being judged isn't a new experience.  (Which is not to diminish at all her courage in putting herself out there.) The agency she is with is called Transcendence Icon Company, and it seems to focus its representation on trans people. So take from that what you will.

FJ came to me instantly, but I did second guess myself a bit because I don't primarily associate it with athletes.

I'm the opposite, mostly because I do associate it with athletes and Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" Nike commercial came immediately to mind.

(Whee! I'm the Queen of Hyperlinks tonight!)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 2

The agency she is with is called Transcendence Icon Company, and it seems to focus its representation on trans people. So take from that what you will.

This being the case, I'm wondering if her name - Ava Hadaway ("Ava had a way.") - is a STATEMENT in addition to being her new name. 

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

I don't think I've ever seen anyone penalized for adding more words to a song title, but I could be wrong.

I was just glad that SOMEONE got Purple Rain. I am from Minneapolis and I would have turned off the show if that would have gone TS.

• Love 2

I spent much of the game trying to figure out what was "off" about Ava. Her being transgender didn't throw me at all, she is beautiful and well-dressed so it wasn't about her looks. It really is that she barely moved, barely even blinked. She looked quite stiff and robotic as others have said. I liked the couple of times when she showed some emotion, like when she got FJ and let out a quick excited smile, and when she told her story about falling asleep at the National Spelling Bee. My verdict: Ava is cool, but was super nervous. I was definitely rooting for her, though. The FJ was just too damn easy, so unless you have the lead you won't win.

• Love 6

My only issue with Adam is that whole starting in the middle of the category thing.  He was inconsistent about it though, so I won't judge him too harshly.  :)

Role model was an instaget for me, and I can't believe Steve, when faced with the name Dewey in the clue, didn't at least come up with something library-related. 

I guess I was distracted when Alex read the clue, because I completely missed the "Dewey" reference until after he revealed the correct response.  D'oh!

I got it, then second-guessed myself because it seemed too simple.  It was one of those "this is my answer but it can't be right" moments.

• Love 1

I don't think Ava was staring at the camera - I think she was looking at the scores. Unless they moved them, the place she seemed to be looking at are where you can see everyone's score.

That makes sense, and it's not a bad idea to keep track of where everyone is.  Just because I wasn't smart enough to do that . . .

Ava did seem kind of robotic, and there were a couple of answers she didn't get which surprised me, but she seems knowledgeable so I'm fine with her winning.  I reserve the right to change my mind though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I guess I was distracted when Alex read the clue, because I completely missed the "Dewey" reference until after he revealed the correct response.  D'oh!

I got stuck on "Dewey Beats Truman," so I never saw it any other way.

• Love 1

A picture of a llama? Sure.

That lady on the end was so mad she lost. She shouldn't have guessed de Leon then!

I would have bet the farm on the tech logo DD. It was in the $800 spot and the clues had been relatively easy...and it ended up to be also wicked easy.

Did it sound like Dom said "Lantic" and not Vlasic to anyone else?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

FJ submitted by Alex' grandson for Teen tourney, but, oops...

I actually expected that one or more people would miss it. I didn't think school kids read "Casey at the Bat" anymore--too old-fashioned and not "deep" in any way.

I thought Adam was headed for disaster when he missed "Birdman of Alcatraz," but good on him for pulling it off in the end.

• Love 3

That Birdman of Alcatraz DD was ridiculously easy. Oops, guess not, since Adam didn't know it. Must have been before his time.

I got elk, Dior and Denmark. If that clue in Art was really The Bible, they shouldn't have accepted The New Testament.

I agree, FJ was Teen Tournament easy.

• Love 2
I would have bet the farm on the tech logo DD. It was in the $800 spot and the clues had been relatively easy...and it ended up to be also wicked easy.

I didn't come up with any of those.  I knew Chrome, so I should have had that one, but stupidly said "Google" instead.

FJ was an instaget, sort of.  I knew the poem immediately, but then I argued with myself a bit as to whether it was "at bat" or "at the bat" before setting my mind right.

• Love 3

I didn't come up with any of those.  I knew Chrome, so I should have had that one, but stupidly said "Google" instead.

FJ was an instaget, sort of.  I knew the poem immediately, but then I argued with myself a bit as to whether it was "at bat" or "at the bat" before setting my mind right.

That's ok, I'm sure they would have accepted 'Carson at the Bat'.   :)

• Love 7

That Birdman of Alcatraz DD was ridiculously easy. Oops, guess not, since Adam didn't know it. Must have been before his time.

It wasn't before my time, and I got it wrong. I immediately said 'Psycho.' I saw murderer and ornithologist, and I immediately thought of Norman Bates, whom I'm pretty sure was based on a real person. So I don't feel too bad about getting it wrong.

Now FJ? THAT was ridiculously easy.

• Love 2