Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My husband just made me turn Jeopardy off because Laura's voice was so annoying. And I have a heavy Jersey accent.

He said she sounds like the mewling guidance counselor on South Park.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 3

Cannot believe the Packers TS going on today. Maybe I'm biased because the Packers are my team, but come on, I thought everyone knew Lambeau Field, at least. And Holmgren went to a team "in the northwest," where there is literally only one pro football team, so it should have been obvious. I dunno. Lauraaaaaa looked super proud of herself for knowing Lombardi. But damn, I am glad she's gone. The new champ is a bit too polite, though. "I'll take Say Full Name of the Category for 600 dollars, please, Alex, thank you" every single time means lots of unseen clues.

• Love 3

I just assumed they're not football fans. I got all of those right, but if it were about hockey, the NBA, or another sport I don't follow, I wouldn't have known the answers either.

I don't think the new champ will be around long. She seemed to be the weakest of the three but managed to know FJ. I didn't get it right. I guessed Clint Eastwood knowing it was wrong.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3

Is that voice really a put on?  I swear I thought she had some kind of neurological disorder.  She sounds a lot like someone fighting to cover/stop a stutter or Turrets.  I can't believe anyone would do that on purpose.

• Love 2

Thank Gaaaaud Lauraaaa is gone!

I'd hate to eat Julie's cooking if she bakes using wax paper. I liked both her and Molly, although she did seem to be the weakest one.

Would they have accepted Denmark for the Tivoli Gardens clue, I wonder? That's what I screamed out.

I liked the Packer's category and I'm a Broncos fan. Seattle Seahawks and Lambeau as TS's was weird to me. But then, I'm a football fan.

I also got maserate and shoe, although I sat with the dumbest of the dumb look on my face for FJ.

• Love 7

I just assumed they're not football fans. I got all of those right, but if it were about hockey, the NBA, or another sport I don't follow, I wouldn't have known the answers either.

Then I have no idea why they kept calling the category after they figured out what it was about! Sad to see those two unseen clues, though. 

• Love 1
The new champ is a bit too polite, though. "I'll take Say Full Name of the Category for 600 dollars, please, Alex, thank you" every single time means lots of unseen clues.

Thank Gaaaaud Lauraaaa is gone!

I'd hate to eat Julie's cooking if she bakes using wax paper. I liked both her and Molly, although she did seem to be the weakest one.

Would they have accepted Denmark for the Tivoli Gardens clue, I wonder? That's what I screamed out.

I liked the Packer's category and I'm a Broncos fan. Seattle Seahawks and Lambeau as TS's was weird to me. But then, I'm a football fan.

I also got maserate and shoe, although I sat with the dumbest of the dumb look on my face for FJ.

Julie can say "pretty please with sugar on top" every time she calls out a category and dollar amount every time, as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to have someone soft-spoken and polite, with no annoying vocal tics, as champ again. But I agree she probably won't have a long run.

As for the wax paper, I've used it to line baking pans and it didn't make everything taste waxy. But parchment paper and aluminum foil are better. I wonder if aluminum foil would have been an acceptable answer? I know "en papillote" means "in paper," but I don't know if everyone takes the "paper" part literally.

I'm guessing either Italy or Denmark would have been correct for Tivoli Gardens.

No clue about football except for Vince Lombardi. I did know "macerate," though I'd be terrified of mispronouncing it if I were on the air!

Woody Allen was all I could think of for FJ, even though I knew he had pretty much retired from acting after 2005. 

What a great come from behind win.  I love games like that.  She does seem weak overall, but nothing about her bothers me. 

Loved The Packers category (used to live in WI). 

I actually thought of George Clooney immediately.

• Love 2

Is that voice really a put on?  I swear I thought she had some kind of neurological disorder.  She sounds a lot like someone fighting to cover/stop a stutter or Turrets.  I can't believe anyone would do that on purpose.

And yet I've never, ever heard a vocal tic or affectation remotely like that. I guess I didn't remember her from before the tournament and last night we went out to dinner & didn't get home until FJ, so I had no idea she had that...thing whatever it was. So glad she got defeated today.

• Love 1

I noticed that it's not only an elongated final syllable, it also dips in tone half-way through and then rises again...like her voice has gone through a valley or something.  She does it often enough, she can sound like a European police siren.  Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster she's gone!!!

(I thought of Clint Eastwood, but settled on Affleck.  And I just had watched The Perfect Storm - you'd think Clooney would be fresh in my mind!)

• Love 3

I feel as if I should send Julie a "thank you"! My flesh literally crawled every time LauraaaaA? answered! I never even thought of Clooney. I had no idea he had done any of that. (He didn't win the acting award for Batman, did he?) I guessed Woody Allen, because he just seems to keep churning out little films that get awards. And then I thought of Affleck, who has become something of a director, but I thought Good Will Hunting was too long ago to have been included.

As for the wax paper, I've used it to line baking pans and it didn't make everything taste waxy. But parchment paper and aluminum foil are better. I wonder if aluminum foil would have been an acceptable answer? I know "en papillote" means "in paper," but I don't know if everyone takes the "paper" part literally.

I'm fairly certain the parchment is key. I spent several summers as a waiter in Florida, and removing the parchment tableside correctly was something that we all had to learn. I think I could still pull it off.

• Love 2

I answered Denmark for the Tivoli Gardens clue, and I was a little surprised when they accepted Italy as the answer.  But then there was an obviously edited-in comment from Alex saying that the "much more famous" one in Denmark would've been acceptable, too.  I'm wondering if those of you who are asking about Denmark didn't get that addendum.

• Love 4

I always thought Tivoli Gardens was in Germany. I associate it with Octoberfest.

I got macerate. I can't remember what else.

I didn't get FJ. I was thinking Ben Affleck, but then I figured Gone Girl was more recent than 2012, so I was straining my brain and unable to come up with Clooney. I kicked myself.

• Love 1

Laura girl, BYE. Will not miss you at all.

I got George Clooney right away. I'm also obsessed with him (and his wife) so there's that.

Definitely think the new champ will be a one and done. I was hoping the 3rd contestant would win.

• Love 3

Have to say that I think Laura is probably a charming person, but that voice.... As I said earlier, I have known two people who speak like that - one the mother of a high school friend, the other a woman younger than me - and while they are both lovely people, they are both proudly intellectual and want everyone to know it. I think of it as an "pretentiously intelligent" accent. I think the only other place I've heard anything remotely like it was a high school production of Auntie Mame, where the actress playing the social-climbing fiancée of Auntie Mame's nephew affected that way of speaking.

Our station makes the "speaking with Alex after the game" screen very small while it gives a preview of the 4:00 news, so I couldn't see the whole outfit, but I really liked the blouse/jacket that the new champ wore.

• Love 2

I answered Denmark for the Tivoli Gardens clue, and I was a little surprised when they accepted Italy as the answer.  But then there was an obviously edited-in comment from Alex saying that the "much more famous" one in Denmark would've been acceptable, too.  I'm wondering if those of you who are asking about Denmark didn't get that addendum.

Same here - Denmark.  When Italy was accepted as the correct answer, I went through a "Well, where the hell was I?" moment because I could picture the gates, and swore I saw them in Copenhagen.  For some reason. we either didn't get, or I just didn't hear Alex's edit.

I also confidently shouted out "Quentin Tarantino" for FJ.  I've had better days.

• Love 3

Cannot believe the Packers TS going on today. Maybe I'm biased because the Packers are my team, but come on, I thought everyone knew Lambeau Field, at least.

They must not be NFL fans.  I hate the Packers (sorry), but ran that category, because they were pretty basic for someone who has lived for football season for 30+ years.

It was a good game, but one with a lot of clues I thought were too easy.  (Of course, I'm now hard pressed to identify any, as a friend came over immediately after the game and we consumed an amount of Maker's Mark commensurate with having the rest of the week off.)  I liked all three contestants - although one's odd speech pattern was obviously distracting - so I'd have been fine with any of them winning, but I did have a bit of an affinity for the champ, so I'm curious to see how she does.

For FJ, I initially thought Clint Eastwood and then realized the timing was off.  Ben Affleck came to me next, but then George Clooney came to mind and I knew that was it.

I'm off for a long holiday weekend tomorrow, so I'll catch you all next week.  Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

• Love 4

Just read the article and don't look at the comments - there be spoilers.

..,And people who have to turn everything into a political debate. I wish I'd noticed the name of the site before I clicked on it!

• Love 2

Ivanka Trump has a similar vocal affection as Laura.

And speaking as a lifetime fan of Jeopardy! (dating back to the Art Fleming days), I feel lik an idiot asking this. What does TS stand for?

• Love 2

Ivanka Trump has a similar vocal affection as Laura.

And speaking as a lifetime fan of Jeopardy! (dating back to the Art Fleming days), I feel lik an idiot asking this. What does TS stand for?

TS = triple stumper (none of the three contestants answer correctly).

• Love 1

I missed last night -- what was FJ?

I may not have this exactly right, but it was something like

Between 2005 & 2014, this person won Oscars for best picture, writing, directing and acting.

I was confident that it was Clint Eastwood. Turns out it was Clooney.

• Love 2

Cannot believe the Packers TS going on today. Maybe I'm biased because the Packers are my team, but come on, I thought everyone knew Lambeau Field, at least.

Although I'm not a football fan at all, Lambeau Field is one of the few NFL stadiums I've heard of, but I could not pull it out of my brain in time.  I was sitting on the couch going "Oh man, I know this, it's . . . it's . . . oh crap, what is the name of that place?!?!?!".

I thought of Ben Affleck first for FJ but knew it wasn't him (he didn't get the Best Director nomination he deserved for Argo), so George Clooney was my answer.  I wasn't absolutely sure, but he was the only other person I could come up with.

• Love 1

I was sad that the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon was a triple stumper. Not only my favorite books, but a wildly popular cable series last year. Becoming a fan of the books not only educated me, but changed my life in a few ways.

• Love 1

I feel like a broken record and like I should just give up, but yep,  "Women CEOs" still bothers me.

My license plate is a specialty plate for Arizona, and it's "Women Veterans." I dislike the usage of "women" as an adjective too, but not as much as i hate getting tickets. I haven't gotten a ticket since I put that plate on my car (knock on wood). Therefore, it's staying!

• Love 5

I may not have this exactly right, but it was something like

Between 2005 & 2014, this person won Oscars for best picture, writing, directing and acting.

I was confident that it was Clint Eastwood. Turns out it was Clooney.

As per J-archives: For films of 2005 through 2012, he received nominations for Best Picture, Director, Writing & Acting

I see this has been answered, but for future reference, there is a glossary topic explaining the common abbreviations.

• Love 1

I have a terrible cold but must have gotten super powers from my cold medicine. Either that, or this was an incredibly easy game.

They didn't pick two of the DD's? WTH?

For TS I got VW bus, flower power, spitoon, Spartacus and El Chappo before I stopped writing them down.

• Love 3

My husband and I refused to watch Jeopardy until Julia's reign was over. Julia's voice was more painful to my husband than his broken leg. Not really, but close enough.

Do you mean "Lauraaaa"? I can't imagine Julie's voice bothering anyone; in any event, she's already gone. The new champ is also non-annoying, but I don't think he'll be around for long either. I got spittoon and Spartacus, plus Harry Truman the "ex-haberdasher." 

• Love 3

The new champ seems very nice, and absolutely no strange tics that I noticed.  I hope he stays for a few games.

Sorry to say, he didn't last long.  And now this new champ seems nice:)

I don't think the woman in the middle even knew what NATO is.  I did get Iceland but I wasn't overly confident about it.

• Love 4

I don't think the woman in the middle even knew what NATO is.  I did get Iceland but I wasn't overly confident about it.

No kidding! Maybe she was rattled by her performance and was thinking OAS?

• Love 3

I was shocked when she said The Secret Garden instead of Little Lord Fauntleroy, which seemed obvious to me.  From the way she hesitated, it looked like she thought Little Lord Fauntleroy was too obvious.  They always say go with your gut.  Maybe I read too much into her thought process.

And the new champ does seem nice (once again) even though Alex thinks he talks too slow (he is from the south after all).

• Love 3

While Rob played a great game, I have to say, could he talk any slooooower? There were lots of clues left on the board.

I was screaming Little Lord Fauntleroy at Marie. She didn't listen.

I also got Lake District and what a methusalah was.

I wasn't aware Belize was in Europe. I guessed Luxembourg for FJ but was pretty sure it has more than 400,000 residents.

ETA - Luxembourg has 525,000 residents and was a founding member of NATO, so I wasn't too far off.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2

How can I not root for a guy who named his son for Elvis Costello?  As soon as he said his eldest son was named Declan, I knew why.

I said Belgium for FJ, my friend said the Netherlands and my brother said Iceland.  Stinks that my brother was right.

• Love 3

I sort of felt bad for the woman in the middle. She had a nice smile and seemed sweet but I think she was nervous. However when she had Belize I thought that she obviously didn't know What NATO was. And I'm pretty sure Belize has more than 400,000 people.

ETA: I'm wrong. The population of Belize is 347,000 give or take a few hundred. Surprising.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 1

I'm apparently in a turkey-addled state, and deleted the show right after Double Jeopardy instead of watching FJ.  Can someone tell me the question/answer?

I'm apparently in a turkey-addled state, and deleted the show right after Double Jeopardy instead of watching FJ.  Can someone tell me the question/answer?

• Love 1