Type keyword(s) to search

What is the Jeopardy! glossary?

Athena
  • Start Topic

This is a thread listing terms, acronyms, abbreviations, and other phrases associated with Jeopardy! You do not need to know or use these terms to participate in the forum, but this is a fun thread for posters. Please let me know below if you feel there are other terms that should be added to the list and I will update accordingly. Thank you.

BMS: Be More Specific

CW: College Week

CJ: Celebrity Jeopardy!

CT: College Tournament

DD: Daily Double

DJ: Double Jeopardy! Round

FJ: Final Jeopardy

Instaget: Instantly getting or knowing an answer

KW: Kids Week

KT: Kids Tournament

Pre-call: Predicting the answer/question based on the category

RC: Returning Champion

SDC: Second Day Curse

TDD: True Daily Double

ToC: Tournament of Champions

TOM: Tease Out Metric: an extra hint within the clue to help come up with the answer.

TS: Triple Stumper: no correct answer is given by any player.

TT: Teen Tournment / Teachers Tournament

TW: Teens' Week

• Love 3

I've never heard about the Second Day Curse.

But knowing Jeopardy fans, I'm sure someone somewhere has done a statistical analysis to show wehther or not there is a second-day curse.

Instead of KW, CW, TW, we have it KT, CT, TT, which is Kids Tournament, College Tournament, and Teen Tournament (and now also fits Teachers Tournament). And CJ is Celebrity Jeopardy.

I would use about 5 of these. I hope the Jeopardy threads don't become an alphabet soup.

I don't either to be honest. It's fun to have a reference guide and make up silly ones since acronyms, abbreviations and word play often features on the show.

On 4/19/2015 at 1:53 PM, Athena said:

This is a thread listing terms, acronyms, abbreviations, and other phrases associated with Jeopardy! You do not need to know or use these terms to participate in the forum, but this is a fun thread for posters. Please let me know below if you feel there are other terms that should be added to the list and I will update accordingly. Thank you.

(suggests "pre-call" for the list)

31 minutes ago, Athena said:

How about this?

Pre-call: Knowing the clues based on the category itself.

I would suggest this text for the list instead: 

Pre-call: Knowing a clue (or more than one clue) before its reveal (or before their reveals) based on its category (or their category or categories).*  

(*note: I had found it to had been much clearer than "Pre-call: Knowing the clues based on the category itself")

Edited by Mario500
1 hour ago, Mario500 said:

I would suggest this text for the list instead: 

Pre-call: Knowing a clue (or more than one clue) before its reveal (or before their reveals) based on its category (or their category or categories).*  

(*note: I had found it to had been much clearer than "Pre-call: Knowing the clues based on the category itself")

Added.

• Love 1

@Athena Your original definition was better, and followed the simple format of the other definitions.  But I would say "Predicting the answer [or, to be properly pedantic, question] based on the category", because it doesn't refer to pre-calling the clue, but what the correct response to the clue will be.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

(suggests having "pre-guess" appear in conjunction with "pre-call" ("pre-call/pre-guess") in the list)

On 1/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, Bastet said:

@Athena Your original definition was better, and followed the simple format of the other definitions.  But I would say "Predicting the answer [or, to be properly pedantic, question] based on the category", because it doesn't refer to pre-calling the clue, but what the correct response to the clue will be.

(disagrees with this message; wishes to have the definition I had suggested be restored) 

Edited by Mario500

Agree with above that pre-calling is referring to the solution (what is xxx), not the clue itself, and the definition should reflect that (whether we call it an answer or question is confusing, but hopefully you know what I mean by that!)

The way the phrase is used on this forum isn't to refer to the clue but to the solution.

It's basically calling a potential correct response based on the category alone.

• Love 1

I see pre-call as just guessing a possible response based on the category, not necessarily guessing the correct response.  For example, in last night's game, I pre-called Mr. Ed, but it was so very very wrong.  But I don't think pre-call means a clue.

Should “the Jeopardy curse” be added here? Not sure if it exactly qualifies, or even the exact definition, but it’s something along the lines of, the subject of a clue has died (or maybe had been in the news, not in a good way) in the time between the episode’s recording and airing. 

• Love 1
On 4/19/2015 at 2:53 PM, Athena said:

TS: Triple Stumper: no correct answer is given by any player.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

According to this forum, if a correct answer is not given, the clue is considered a TS (even if it only stumped one person).

Has this always been the intended interpretation of TS?

I thought "Triple Stumper" presumes 3 were stumped, not just the 1 person who landed on the DD.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought "Triple Stumper" presumes 3 were stumped, not just the 1 person who landed on the DD.

Yes, a clue can't logically be said to have stumped three people when only one person was given the opportunity to answer it.

A TS and a missed DD are two different things.  Any given contestant can have a knowledge gap or a brain fart on any given clue, so one contestant whiffing their DD is distinctly less notable than all three contestants failing to come up with the correct response.  It's why viewers are happy to get a TS correct.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, basically I'm lazy.  😉

Not at all, these days everyone's a critic until they're asked to do something and until someone steps forward willing to put in the time & energy it takes to organize something like this then it's your game your rules, be they right or wrong in others opinions.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1