Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I got Detroit and Stanislavski (missed DD

I got a lot of the triple stumpers, but although I knew who they wanted for the DD clue, I couldn't come up with Stanislavski.  Do you think they would've accepted "that method acting guy"?

One TS I got was (cold) shoulder. That seemed pretty obvious

I said 'heart' - my excuse is that I've never heard of the song, and that's the only thing that came to mind.  Well, that and 'Coldhands'.

I've never heard of Hamilton Fish.

Neither had I, but I can now add him to the pathetically short list of Vice Presidents whose names I know.  Politics is in my top 3 worst categories, along with math and science.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Anyone else notice how extremely nervous and anxious Tim was at the very end yesterday? I thought he would pass out when he won.

• Love 2

Tim was so certain of sperm and Chekov!  Too bad they were wrong.  I really want to like him, but the boneheaded guesses and ducking his head to give his responses (what was up with that?), make it really difficult.

Tasmania was an instaget for me, but I'm a biologist, so...  I also got Detroit and Stanislavski (which I've probably misspelled).  And while I didn't know it was Waiting For Lefty, I knew it wasn't Waiting For Guffman!  That one cracked me up.

• Love 3
(edited)

Argh I almost said rowing but we know what almost counts for.

I looooooove Kelly.  Now if we could only get her to start at the top of the category we will be golden.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kelly was a slow burn in the Jeopardy round, but in DJ I thought the contestant's buttons were broken as Kelly sailed past them for the runaway win.

I never would have guessed rowing either, but javelin dates back to the first Olympic games -- just slightly older than the Middle Ages.  :)

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

New game, new post!

After Tim started with the middles of the categories in the first round, I decided I didn't like him.  Not sad he lost. 

Amazing comeback by Kelly!  What was up with the other two during DJ? 

Some of the TS I got were bare-knuckled boxing, Van Cliburn, Sunny Von Bulow, Atlas, unboiling an egg, and kissing (osculation).

Rowing was my second choice for FJ, but I ended up going with my first, which was fencing.

• Love 2

Argh I almost said rowing but we know what almost counts for.

I actually said rowing out loud but chose boxing as my final answer.

All three contestants were very likeable.  Kelly sure pulled up her socks in DJ and certainly deserved the win.

My TS's were Van Cliburn, Atlas and kissing.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

After Tim started with the middles of the categories in the first round, I decided I didn't like him.  Not sad he lost. 

Amazing comeback by Kelly!  What was up with the other two during DJ? 

This!  I love Kelly.  She reminds me of someone but I don't know who.  I hope she sticks around.

Oh, goody!  Alex got to say "Camoooo".  LOL.

I got Sunny Von Bulow and quatrain, which I'm surprised a librarian didn't get.

For some bonehead reason, I guessed golf for FJ.  Geez!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Trey said:

I actually said rowing out loud but chose boxing as my final answer.

All three contestants were very likeable.  Kelly sure pulled up her socks in DJ and certainly deserved the win.

My TS's were Van Cliburn, Atlas and kissing.

Heh.  Boxing was what I ended up saying too.  My mental train went from the Middle Ages to gladiators to hey! boxing!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

This!  I love Kelly.  She reminds me of someone but I don't know who.  I hope she sticks around.

Oh, goody!  Alex got to say "Camoooo".  LOL.

I got Sunny Von Bulow and quatrain, which I'm surprised a librarian didn't get.

For some bonehead reason, I guessed golf for FJ.  Geez!

I know what you mean about Kelly looking familiar. My first thought was Shelley Long during her "Cheers" days, but she's not quite blonde enough.

It's "Al-BEHHR Camooo"! There was one other French name or word that I chuckled at but I forget what it was.

That "Ig-Nobel Prizes" category was kind of silly, but I liked it. I also figured out kissing and unboiling an egg. It surprised me that Atlas was a TS as a $200 clue.

I didn't think golf was such a boneheaded guess. It was my second choice after fencing. I knew that javelin throwing and boxing go back a long ways. I would never have thought of rowing. It's hard to imagine it as sport in medieval times--more like a practical way to get from place to place.

• Love 3

I'll have to check the archive when it's updated for the wording of the clue, because I was talking to my cat at the time and thus only half-listening, but I thought "swashbuckling" should have been "swashbuckler."

Sunny von Bülow as a TS surprised me.

I guessed correctly on FJ, because team sport + college made me think immediately of rowing and then I couldn't think of anything else, so went with it.

• Love 4

I'll have to check the archive when it's updated for the wording of the clue, because I was talking to my cat at the time and thus only half-listening, but I thought "swashbuckling" should have been "swashbuckler."

You're right and I was expecting a reversal after the break but nope. Judges sleeping on the job again.

It was surreal watching Kelly answer question after question uninterrupted. They must have shot it pretty tightly too because I don't remember seeing the others trying to buzz in. Weird.

I got a bunch of TS like the rest of you. Really surprised Sunny von Bulow was one. That was a major case and high profile feature film as well.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said 'heart' - my excuse is that I've never heard of the song, and that's the only thing that came to mind.  Well, that and 'Coldhands'.

I never heard of the song either, but giving a cold shoulder (or whatever the lyric was) is such a common term that I went with that.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Some of the TS I got were bare-knuckled boxing, Van Cliburn, Sunny Von Bulow, Atlas, unboiling an egg, and kissing (osculation).

Rowing was my second choice for FJ, but I ended up going with my first, which was fencing.

I think the only TSs I got were Thailand and Atlas. I couldn't quite come up with Van Cliburn or Sunny Von Bulow. Did someone get theremin? I couldn't quite remember the word.

33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'll have to check the archive when it's updated for the wording of the clue, because I was talking to my cat at the time and thus only half-listening, but I thought "swashbuckling" should have been "swashbuckler.

I don't remember the word either, but I'm 99% certain 'swashbuckler' was supposed to be the answer.

I guessed correctly on FJ, because team sport + college made me think immediately of rowing and then I couldn't think of anything else, so went with it.

Did it say team sport? I missed that. For FJ I guessed that track and field sport where you swing the ball on a chain over your head and throw it, whatever it's called. I guess that actually goes back to Greek times.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Heh.  Boxing was what I ended up saying too.  My mental train went from the Middle Ages to gladiators to hey! boxing!

My mental train went from Middle Ages to "ancient" and I guessed polo, then wondered if any American schools actually have polo teams. I wasn't at all surprised polo was incorrect.

• Love 1

Did it say team sport?

I looked it up, and it didn't -- I apparently inferred team sport from something in the clue ... or, you know, pulled it out of my ass and happened to be right.  Because I was looking at the answers and saying, "Duh, team sport" -- but it turns out that wasn't in the clue.  I guess my brain just took intercollegiate and thought only of team sports, as if individuals don't compete against each other on behalf of their schools.  Weird.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It had to mention "team" somewhere or AT wouldn't have made that silly comment about the javelin - "You throw; I'll catch"

Ohhhh. I actually like that little joke, but I didn't understand why he said it. Sometimes I forget what the category is called. It helps to remember. Duh.

• Love 3

Interesting how many different guesses are being given for the ancient sport. And all of them are at least plausible, which is what made it such a challenging question. I went with wrestling. Rowing never occurred to me.

Weird that none of them remembered Sunny Von Bulow. That was such a high profile case.

The new champ gave a really bad answer early on, and I, too, dismissed her at that point. Then she basically owned DJ. This show still surprises me sometimes.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh I said that to my husband too, that swashbuckling was not what the clue was looking for.

I've noticed that before on the game, that one form of the answer word is really correct but they will accept any form of the base word, unless there was a specific qualifier, like it had to rhyme or whatever.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Trey said:

I've noticed that before on the game, that one form of the answer word is really correct but they will accept any form of the base word, unless there was a specific qualifier, like it had to rhyme or whatever.

Except for the occasions when they don't... Either don't accept it outright or take it away after the break. It's pretty inconsistent. 

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Kelly was a slow burn in the Jeopardy round, but in DJ I thought the contestant's buttons were broken as Kelly sailed past them for the runaway win.

I never would have guessed rowing either, but javelin dates back to the first Olympic games -- just slightly older than the Middle Ages.  :)

And javelin isn't exactly a team sport.  I said jousting (hey, it's the state sport here in MD) but it isn't a team sport either.  I thought of lacrosse but didn't think it dated back that far (that we know of anyway) and I also was pretty sure soccer wasn't medieval either.  So basically I had nothing.

Oh, and it's pretty embarrassing, but I'll admit to shouting 'Glen Gould' at the tv when the answer was 'Van Cliburn'.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I believe the FJ category was College Team Sports.

Okay, good - I was pretty confused at how I'd come up with the team aspect if it wasn't there.

• Love 1

I was ok with "swashbuckling".  I think it's clear "swashbuckler" was what they wanted, but even as the fairly strict judge that I am, I'd say the adjective does technically meet the requirements of the clue as well, since it describes both the person and the movie.  

I pooched the final.  I did at least consider rowing first, then detoured to fencing, and finally settled on swimming.  I don't know if I even realized the "team" part of the category, although I suppose the other sports do have team components as well, at least at the NCAA level.  

I never...NEVER...need to see Alex demonstrate osculation again.  

• Love 5

The Von Bulow case was in the 80's and the Jeremy Irons movie came out in 1990, so it wasn't surprising to me that at least the returning champ & the new champ didn't know it, although I was surprised the other woman didn't know. 

• Love 1

Huh.  I would have pegged the lady on the end as the youngest of the three.

Regardless, Sonny Von Bulow was in my brain, but buried under useless knowledge that would be totally irrelevant for Jeopardy!

• Love 2

I didn't see the show yesterday, so I didn't know how - efficient - Kelly is.  She plows right through the clues.

Ed had some funny lines and I appreciate a guy cool-headed enough to crack jokes during a high pressure game.

Final Jeopardy was tough.  I guessed Pope John Paul II.  At least that was closer to the correct answer than Hemingway.  But tough one.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was clueless for FJ, until Alex gave the hint to focus on the sandals and bowl.  Then I figured it out before he told us the right answer.

I immediately blurted "reindeer" for courser, because of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and the line, "More rapid than eagles his coursers they came..." then realized that was a Tim-level boneheaded guess.  Heh. 

I did at least get VMI (and a good thing, too, since it isn't too far from where I live!), autoclave (I use one of those almost daily), and cultural anthropology.

Overall, a very enjoyable game!

ETA: I laughed out loud when Ed thanked Alex after Alex quoted Brandy -- you're a fine girl.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 4

I looked at the sandals and glasses and immediately came up with Gandhi and I thought they would all get it. 

The middle girl's reaction was rather rude, I thought.

• Love 5

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the big item in the middle was - apparently a bowl - but I thought the glasses looked familiar and tre shoes looked like something Gandhi would have worn so I went with that. It was really the glasses that made me reasonably confident in the answer, though.

There were a few TS I got - crash, autoclave and Saskatchewan are a couple that I remember but there were others. I liked all of the contestants but I didn't think any of the challengers were really impressive with these topics. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I looked at the sandals and glasses and immediately came up with Gandhi and I thought they would all get it. 

The middle girl's reaction was rather rude, I thought.

It was the glasses combined with the sandals that sealed it for me that it was Gandhi.  I've never actually seen the bowl before.

Ariel was given credit for short course vs. crash course -- sorry, but those two don't mean the same thing.  I think this was the judges feeling sorry for her since she sucked so bad in the Jeopardy round.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 7

I immediately blurted "reindeer" for courser, because of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and the line, "More rapid than eagles his coursers they came..." then realized that was a Tim-level boneheaded guess.  Heh. 

Not so boneheaded.  I said greyhounds.

Did not get FJ - I really couldn't make out too well what was pictured there. When Alex pointed out the bowl and the sandals I said to myself "Jesus??" Wrong century of course.

Naturally I ran the Canadian provinces category - sometimes contestants do very well on Canadian categories and sometimes it's like they never heard of Canada - today's players weren't quite that bad though..  I also ran the plot lines of 1970's hits - I really liked that category; it was fun.

I really liked Ed, too bad he lost.  But Kelly is likeable too and she certainly ran away with the game.

• Love 4

Yay Kelly!  I finally figured it out.  She reminds me of Mary Hopkins.  

Ed cracked me up with his Brandy, You're a Fine Girl "thank you" to Alex.

I got autoclave, Dalmatian (my good Croatian friend would never forgive me if I didn't get that) and Saskatchewan.

I zeroed in on the eye glasses and guessed Ben Franklin for FJ.  Then I realized I was in the wrong century.  Duh!

Link to Mary Hopkins:   https://www.google.com/search?q=mary+hopkins&oq=mary+hopkins&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l15&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=AZZmnIQl3ng8VM%3A

• Love 4
(edited)
50 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Same here, although I was waiting for plotlines for Seasons in the Sun, Billy Don't Be a Hero, and the Night Chicago Died.

Three songs I like very much - I would have gotten them too if they had been questions:)  Also like Mary Hopkin and agree, Kelly does look like her.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Roaster said:

I didn't see the show yesterday, so I didn't know how - efficient - Kelly is.  She plows right through the clues.

Ed had some funny lines and I appreciate a guy cool-headed enough to crack jokes during a high pressure game.

Final Jeopardy was tough.  I guessed Pope John Paul II.  At least that was closer to the correct answer than Hemingway.  But tough one.

I guessed Hitler, figuring that selling his personal effects would be controversial.  Didn't even realize the shoes were sandals, but had I known that, I probably would've gone with Gandhi.

I ran the Canadian province category.  I know almost nothing about Nova Scotia, but I do know about the Halifax explosion (from back when the History Channel ran actual history) and the shattered church window gave me the right answer.

I got all but the last 70s Songs clue - all I could think of was Seasons in the Sun, and that didn't seem right.  I did get most of the other stumpers, though.  I'm particularly proud of autoclave, given my lack of science knowledge, and Cultural Anthropology fulfilled my Sociology/Anthropology requirement in college.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I ran the Anthro category, which marks the first time in years that I have used my Anthropology major, so that was fun :) I was surprised cultural anthro was a TS. I know it's not super common knowledge but I figured an average Jeopardy contestant would know it, or at least 1 out of 3.

• Love 4

I was watching the NBA finals and forgot to check back later for the late J! airing, so I had to check the archive.

It was a pretty good game for me, but the only interwebs clue I knew was Mental Floss, because to me that's a magazine, not a website.

"Short course" (instead of crash course) being later ruled correct?  Why?

VMI surprised me as a TS.  I'm not exactly up on my military colleges, but United States v. Virgina (not to mention the sexual assaults) certainly put that one on my radar, so with Virginia spotted in the category that was an easy one for me even though I was wholly unfamiliar with the book referenced in the clue.  I joined them in not knowing William Styron, though.  I'm familiar with the controversy surrounding the book, but could have sat here all day without being able to name him.

Band as a TS really surprised me -- it's Anthro 101, plus you have the musical group hint.  The cultural anthropology TS also surprised me, given how many people take that as an elective in college (I took "Cultural Anthropology Through Film").  I didn't know Dalmation, though.

The Saskatchewan TS is one of those where my impulse is to be surprised no one got it - Regina is right there in the clue - but then I remember how bad most Americans are at U.S. geography these days, let alone world geography.

Autoclave also surprised me a bit, because of all the hoopla over whether dentists were using it to sterilize their equipment (after people had been infected with HIV).  The other TS in that category was a total loss for me, too, though.

I loved - and ran - the '70s songs category!

The glasses alone made FJ an instaget for me, and the sandals confirmed it.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Band as a TS really surprised me -- it's Anthro 101, plus you have the musical group hint. 

Kind of like Ed, I immediately thought "gatherers," but the musical groups didn't fit into it. I just didn't think it thru, or ran out of time.

The cultural anthropology TS also surprised me, given how many people take that as an elective in college (I took "Cultural Anthropology Through Film"). 

I missed that one, too, although I did take cultural anthropology in college and enjoyed it.

The Saskatchewan TS is one of those where my impulse is to be surprised no one got it - Regina is right there in the clue - but then I remember how bad most Americans are at U.S. geography these days, let alone world geography.

I'm bad at the provinces, but I did get this one because I know someone who lives in Regina.

Autoclave also surprised me a bit, because of all the hoopla over whether dentists were using it to sterilize their equipment (after people had been infected with HIV). 

I said 'enclave' but immediately knew that was wrong. I couldn't come up with the prefix.

The glasses alone made FJ an instaget for me, and the sandals confirmed it.

Yup. Me too. I don't know what the significance of the bowl is. I'll google. But I was very surprised none of the contestants got this.

Other TSs I got were Florida (Cougar Town), although I've seen only a couple of eps, and crash (course). I agree with others that Ariel shouldn't have gotten credit for short course. In the clue is "brief intense instruction." Though a short course can be brief, I wouldn't call it intense.

For the life of me, I couldn't remember Trulia or William Styron. I was pissed with myself for confusing Eudora Welty with Willa Cather.

I did really badly in the 70's song category. 

Ed's "Thank you" to Alex's "You're a fine girl" was cute and funny, though I was worried the joking around would throw Ed off his game.

• Love 2