Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I wasn't doing well on the FJ for today. Did not get Lewis Carroll. I did get the Robert Duvall right away. He was the only one I could figure out that was in Godfather and Apocalypse Now, plus I knew he was in To Kill a Mockingbird.

• Love 1

I could not for the life of me come up with "Lewis Carroll", but just managed, "The guy who wrote Alice in Wonderland!"  Somehow I don't think that would have been accepted. 

The girl tonight reminded me of the actress who played John Cusack's mother in "Better Off Dead."

• Love 2

I was able to get Lewis out of the FJ, but didn't know Lewis Carroll was a pen name. I kept trying and failing to figure out the anagram.

I had probably over 100 Archie comics as a kid, so I was soooo nervous that they wouldn't get to it! I may have shouted "Who is Moose Mason?!" a bit too loudly.

• Love 3

Alex never heard of the Society for Creative Anachronism? The SCA was founded in 1966, and Alex had graduated from college before then. But still ... None of the thousands of contestants ever mentioned it before? Or maybe he was faking so she would explain it.

• Love 1

My answer would have been 'That guy! I can see his face, you know, that guy!', which I don't think would have been accepted.

I would have added, "He likes to tango."  But, fortunately, I remembered his name in time.  Missed tonight's show - went to a presentation on all the property tax exemptions that are available for seniors.  heh heh.  I'm old.

• Love 3

A good game.

I've never heard anyone pronounce "tsunami" as "tunami" like Shana.

That was a really difficult FJ. I, too, came up with C.S. Lewis.

She said "tsunami", just a bit of an extra emphasis on the 't' sound. But the 's' was definitely in there as well.

"Lewis" is buried in there, not that I got it. I got stuck on the first name starting with E and guessed E.B. White.

I also said E.B. White but I had a feeling it was wrong. 

I just watched Casablanca a few days ago, I was surprised it was a TS. Also the Art Institute of Chicago, I was surprised no one knew it.

• Love 2

Can anyone explain if it's possible to deduce the answer from EDGAR CUTHWELLIS and EDGAR U.C. WESTHILL?  Or is it just something you have to know?

If you exclude his surname, Dodgson, the letters left from the rest of his name, Charles Lutwidge, are the letters used to anagram those two possible pen names.  Here's what Wikipedia says about the name Lewis Carroll:

This pseudonym was a play on his real name: Lewis was the anglicised form of Ludovicus, which was the Latin for Lutwidge, and Carroll an Irish surname similar to the Latin name Carolus, from which comes the name Charles. The transition went as follows: "Charles Lutwidge" translated into Latin as "Carolus Ludovicus". This was then translated back into English as "Carroll Lewis" and then reversed to make "Lewis Carroll". This pseudonym was chosen by editor Edmund Yates from a list of four submitted by Dodgson, the others being Edgar Cuthwellis, Edgar U. C. Westhill, and Louis Carroll.

But I think you're right, that it's just something you needed to know in a general way.  There really wasn't enough time to unscramble the names and compare them to the letters in his actual name, but if you know that Lewis Carroll was a fake name--and that he was a mathematician and had that kind of brain--that helps a lot to make the educated guess. 

• Love 3

I was annoyed at Alex telling them they were all on the right track with naming children's authors which was in the clue.

Yeah, that was dumb. "On the right track" like answering the Eiffel Tower when the answer is the Colosseum and the category is European Landmarks. 

• Love 7

Thursday:

Man, that was a hard Final Jeopardy.

Can anyone explain if it's possible to deduce the answer from EDGAR CUTHWELLIS and EDGAR U.C. WESTHILL?  Or is it just something you have to know?

I got the answer by trying to think of an appropriate children's author who I knew used a pen name.  And I only got it at the last minute.  The names in the clue didn't help me at all.

I just watched Casablanca a few days ago, I was surprised it was a TS. Also the Art Institute of Chicago, I was surprised no one knew it.

I said Marrakech because I didn't know that Casablanca is a bigger city, but I almost went with it.  For the Art Institute, I knew it was a museum in Chicago but couldn't come up with the name in time.  I suppose "that art museum in Chicago" probably wouldn't have been accepted.

but if you know that Lewis Carroll was a fake name--and that he was a mathematician and had that kind of brain--that helps a lot to make the educated guess.

I knew it was a fake name, and that Charles Dodgson may have been something of a pedophile based on how one interpretes his relationship with the child who inspired Alice in Wonderland (it's potentially squicky at best), but I didn't know the math thing.

• Love 3

Here's another vote for C.S. Lewis. I got the Lewis fairly quickly, but Lewis Carroll never came to me. I thought it was a good FJ question because there was the ability to get the answer right without knowing for sure. If I hadn't gotten stuck on C.S. Lewis, I'd have gotten there, I think.

• Love 2

Do they have a question about the Avengers movie a couple of times a week? Why are the question writers so obsessed with that movie? They had a whole category about it recently and just keep asking. Unless I'm confusing this with another similar movie. Who starred in it they always want to know. I am not interested in it so I never know any of this. 

• Love 2

Part of what is that it's not one movie, it's a series of like 10 movies at this point, between the big-cast Avengers movies and the individual movies for each major (male) character.

• Love 2

Tim's voice is so soothing. I appreciate it. Mitch was a cutie though, and I laughed at his "well they liked our money..." at Alex's idiotic question if the Vietnamese were nice people.

Sammy Davis Jr. was the first and only name I thought of even though I was 99% sure it was wrong. Imagine my surprise!

• Love 4

Instaget FJ for me too - I knew there were a couple other members of the rat pack (Peter Lawford & Joey Bishop) but figured Sammy Davis Jr. was the most likely to have a street named after him.

• Love 3

I wasn't thinking along the lines of Rat Pack people. I was trying to remember which Vegas performer died in 2015. 

For TSs, I too got one-armed bandit and sourdough. 

For a second I thought the clue about Emilia Clarke was wrong. Turns out, both she and Game of Thrones co-star Lena Headey played Sarah Connor.

I said 'fir' instead of 'pine' for Norfolk. I guess they're different things.

I liked Mitch at first, but then his frantic buzzing technique and bad guesses put me off.

• Love 3

I thought of Sammy Davis Jr., but almost backed out because the 2015 date confused me - as he died a long, long time ago.

The date thing almost got me too. Usually when a date is included it's really important to the answer. This time it was more of a fake-out.

• Love 4

I dearly hate to say this, because we share a first name, but for the love of God, Maria, shut the hell up. Extraneous noises by the contestants drives me completely batshit.

I said to my husband if anyone got FJ wrong, they shouldn't even be allowed the loser money and he read the clue and said he didn't know it. So I felt badly, but he's not one to follow pop culture all that closely but if you are going to be on Jeopardy!, YOU should.

• Love 5

Boy, did I actively dislike Maria, Our Lady of the Pissy Faces.  I don't think I've ever flipped the bird at a J! contestant--not once but three times tonight!

For one thing, getting credit for that "upside down" answer was a gift she totally didn't deserve.  Yes, it's an alternate term for owing more than your house is worth, but what the hell does it have to do with needing to hold your breath?  That was the clue, and it wasn't responsive to the clue.  I liked her until she got that wrong and started acting as if she deserved to win, even when she was slower than her opponents and didn't know the right answers.  Blech.

I said to my husband if anyone got FJ wrong, they shouldn't even be allowed the loser money and he read the clue and said he didn't know it. So I felt badly, but he's not one to follow pop culture all that closely but if you are going to be on Jeopardy!, YOU should.

In Alex's defense (jeez, I seem to say that more often than I like to), I think he said he didn't know the answer when he first read the clue.  I assumed he meant in the run-though before the show, and somebody explained it to him before airtime.  Or maybe not.

• Love 6

I dearly hate to say this, because we share a first name, but for the love of God, Maria, shut the hell up. Extraneous noises by the contestants drives me completely batshit.

Amen, sister! That pisses me off no end. That, and her resting bitch face, were extremely annoying.

I agree that she shouldn't have gotten credit for upside down mortgage.

The only TS I got was Celebrity Name Game. It's terrible, but it comes on right before Daytime Jeopardy! so I usually see the end.

FJ was an instaget. I answered before Alex finished reading the clue. I call B.S. on him not knowing that since he's Mr. International Traveler. Plus, I saw that on a poster in Canada a few years ago.

• Love 4

How did I miss Tim accumulating $87,000 before tonight? Good for him, racking up wins while I swooned over or got annoyed at his competitors.

For one thing, getting credit for that "upside down" answer was a gift she totally didn't deserve.  Yes, it's an alternate term for owing more than your house is worth, but what the hell does it have to do with needing to hold your breath?  That was the clue, and it wasn't responsive to the clue.

Totally agree. It's like the judges just looked it up to see if there were such a thing but completely disregarded the clue which is totally unacceptable. It's really grating my nerves how we viewers (both here and on Twitter) -- argue for the integrity of the game more than the judges do!

• Love 4

My initial reaction upon seeing FJ was "Keepcalmcarry- oh wait, that's only four words" and then it took me another ten seconds to remember that it's "keep calm AND carry on". My mother and sister had no idea, though. My sister said she'd seen the parodies everywhere, but never wondered where the phrase came from, and neither of them knew it originated in the war or in Britain - something that I had assumed was common knowledge. I guess without that, it would be a difficult FJ to figure out.

Also, I was pleased to see James Cook as an answer tonight. I did a project on him as a child and always get excited when he comes up. I generally do very poorly when it comes to explorers, but he is the one exception!

I like the champ, and the more he wins the more I want him to do well, but his habit of saying the full category for x hundred dollars please is starting to irritate me - especially in the last minute of the round.

• Love 2