Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I thought "What is Origin of Species... Or is it Origin of THE Species? The Origin of Species? The Origin of the Species? I think it's Origin of Species. But it might be Origin of the Species. ARGH!"

I didn't think of squid. All I could think was The Kraken, but I knew that wasn't right. My mind drew a blank on typhoon. I just couldn't come up with the word. And as for Gallipoli, I had a feeling that was it, but I keep putting Gallipoli in Australia, probably because of the movie which had Mel Gibson in it and was directed by Peter Weir. 

Seems there was a TS or two that I got, but now I can't remember.

Does anyone here know WHY people say Origin of THE Species? Because that is what I said because that is the way I've always heard it.

My mentally disabled son got 2 Triple Stumpers in the SuperHero's round: He got Shazaam and War Machine! Lol That always kills me when he gets a TS-so thought I'd come in here and brag.

• Love 12

Does anyone here know WHY people say Origin of THE Species? Because that is what I said because that is the way I've always heard it.

I was surprised when the contestant added in the second "the" because I have never once heard it like that.

I think people say it like that for the same reason people say/write "tie you over" instead of "tide you over", or "could of" instead of "could have". It sounds like maybe it could be right ;)

• Love 2

I understand that a. it's fashionable and b. I'm just an old crone but I hated when the girl on Friday came out from behind the podium and she was wearing those tight leggings with the boots and sweatshirt. And she had to yank the sweatshirt down, presumably to cover her bits.

Just because the show makes you wear your college shirt doesn't mean the rest of the outfit has to look like what you went to the grocery store in.

I know I know I'm an old bat.

• Love 10

I think it's just that the noun 'species' seems like it should have an article in front of it, otherwise it sounds like something Tarzan would say. "I ate banana."

My mentally disabled son got 2 Triple Stumpers in the SuperHero's round: He got Shazaam and War Machine! Lol That always kills me when he gets a TS-so thought I'd come in here and brag.

You've a right to brag. I don't think I got a single one. :(

• Love 4

I understand that a. it's fashionable and b. I'm just an old crone but I hated when the girl on Friday came out from behind the podium and she was wearing those tight leggings with the boots and sweatshirt. And she had to yank the sweatshirt down, presumably to cover her bits.

Just because the show makes you wear your college shirt doesn't mean the rest of the outfit has to look like what you went to the grocery store in.

I am an old bat too; if they wish to wear tights, the top should come below their "bits".

• Love 6

It's thought that keeping your arms crossed in a social setting makes you look standoffish, so that's generally why contestants who stand that way look ... I don't know, disinterested? I wouldn't call him a douche, though. I agree that contestants probably stand that way on purpose because of the buzzer.

Or it could be from not knowing what else to do with his arms, or them getting tired from just hanging down.  Those are my usual reasons for doing it.  I don't remember what I did when I was on Jeopardy, though.

I didn't notice, but if I had, I'd have been shouting "leggings are not pants!" at the tv.

• Love 5

I suspect Niki was worried at the end there.  Worried that her response of Who is King James? would be ruled wrong because it wasn't specific enough.  Emily had said Who is James I?  Niki seemed relieved that the judges ruled her response was correct.  (as I think they should have.)

• Love 2

I suspect Niki was worried at the end there.  Worried that her response of Who is King James? would be ruled wrong because it wasn't specific enough.  Emily had said Who is James I?  Niki seemed relieved that the judges ruled her response was correct.  (as I think they should have.)

I thought about that, too. But because we know it as the King James Bible and not the King James I Bible, I think the ruling was right. That was a great come from behind win! In the first round I thought Gus would make it a runaway; I never imagined he'd be third at the end. Excellent game--I don't remember many TS's apart from "The Mermaid Chair," and no GG's.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Niki's interview. What was it that made AT say, "OK.....moving on..." Did she get too technical in her description of her work and he had nothing to say about it?

• Love 2

Niki perennially looks on the verge of an anxiety attack.

That was a really easy FJ question.  The locations defined which country it was; all you needed was a basic understanding of the ordering of the English monarchs.

• Love 4

I can't believe Niki won. Her GG was "ship" as a piece of furniture instead of chair.

The TS I got were chair, Princeton, America's Cup and Kent.

I totally bombed on FJ. I thought they wanted something scientific. I kicked myself when the answer was revealed.

• Love 3

Niki perennially looks on the verge of an anxiety attack.

That was a really easy FJ question.  The locations defined which country it was; all you needed was a basic understanding of the ordering of the English monarchs.

I'm usually pretty good with the English monarchs but this time I was off by one, going with Charles I instead of his father, James I.  Once the answer was revealed though, it was obvious that it was all about the bible.

I thought it was a very good game.

• Love 3

I didn't pay a lot of attention to Niki's interview. What was it that made AT say, "OK.....moving on..." Did she get too technical in her description of her work and he had nothing to say about it?

She literally said what her major is called and specified she's studying human physiology or something. It was not that technical. 

I don't know thing one about the ordering of English monarchs earlier than the current one, and I got it, because I am good at puzzles!

I suspect that's Alex's sort of ham-handed way of highlighting how smart these kids are (or how smart we're supposed to think they are), by pretending to be too dumb to understand what they're saying.  But the upshot usually seems to be that he just ends up looking dumb.  Which he's not, mostly.  I do wish he'd come up with some new reaction material, even though it can be a challenge when you're reacting to people who often tell their little anecdotes as badly as some J! contestants do.  Question for anyone who's been on the show:  Do they prep or rehearse you in chat techniques?  That might be a good thing, if they don't already.

Every once in a while, a book I've worked on pops up as a clue in some literary/publishing category.  That happened tonight, and I was so surprised I almost forgot the answer myself!

• Love 5

Question for anyone who's been on the show:  Do they prep or rehearse you in chat techniques?  That might be a good thing, if they don't already.

Yes, they do. They ask you to come up with several "fun facts," but caution you there's no way to predict which one AT will choose to talk about. They do short mock interviews. At one point, the mock interviewer asked me a "yes/no" question, and when I had answered it, said, "Don't just say yes! Keep talking!" You're coached to display a balance between one-word answers and excessive rambling.

My sympathies are with the contestants if they tell their stories badly, unless they go on for so long that other interviews have to be cut short. It can be difficult enough to come up with entertaining anecdotes, without feeling pressure to tell them with the expert timing of a professional storyteller or a stand-up comic.

• Love 2

I completely disagree with this.  The judges should've ruled Niki's response as incorrect.  The clue is asking for a particular king, and since there were two English kings named James, a correct answer should've required the number of the king in question.  It pisses me off to no end that this ruling determined the winner of the game.  Of course, this is the same show that accepts Adams, Johnson, Harrison and Roosevelt without requiring the first name of the correct president, so what did I expect.  I'm on the verge of giving up on Jeopardy, and I've watched for decades.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

What is this "Carson" joke you people keep making in this forum?

It goes back to a couple of games last season (I think) where one contestant was able to answer both Adams and Roosevelt to a couple of clues about presidents without having to specify which president Adams and which president Roosevelt, followed shortly by another contestant being required to provide the first name 'Kit' when answering a clue about the frontiersman for whom the capital of Nevada is named.  It highlighted the judges inconsistency regarding requiring first names when there is more than one possible answer with the same last name.

Edited to note that the president thing happened in show #7051 (April 20, 2015) and involved both Alex Jacob and Monica Lott - I thought that Alex had done it both times, but I was mis-remembering.  I'm still trying to find the Kit Carson debacle on J! Archive.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Yes, they do. They ask you to come up with several "fun facts," but caution you there's no way to predict which one AT will choose to talk about. They do short mock interviews. At one point, the mock interviewer asked me a "yes/no" question, and when I had answered it, said, "Don't just say yes! Keep talking!" You're coached to display a balance between one-word answers and excessive rambling.

My sympathies are with the contestants if they tell their stories badly, unless they go on for so long that other interviews have to be cut short. It can be difficult enough to come up with entertaining anecdotes, without feeling pressure to tell them with the expert timing of a professional storyteller or a stand-up comic.

I wouldn't expect them--or want them--to seem as slick as professionals in their chat segments.  But I do think there's a fair amount of real estate between Don Rickles and rambling on endlessly the way some people (I'm looking at you, Columbia) often do.  I get that they're nervous.  I wasn't much older when I was on the show I was on, and I know I wasn't exactly Dorothy Parker back then.  I just thought some coaching would be helpful.  It's good that they do get a bit of prep.  Thanks for the info.

I completely disagree with this.  The judges should've ruled Niki's response as incorrect.  The clue is asking for a particular king, and since there were two English kings named James, a correct answer should've required the number of the king in question.  It pisses me off to no end that this ruling determined the winner of the game.  Of course, this is the same show that accepts Adams, Johnson, Harrison and Roosevelt without requiring the first name of the correct president, so what did I expect.  I'm on the verge of giving up on Jeopardy, and I've watched for decades.

Given that the clue included a reference to the King James Bible, I think allowing "King James" as an answer is proper.

I was floored by the contestant identifying Stan Lee as Charles Schulz.  What Millennial can't recognize Stan Lee?

• Love 2

Given that the clue included a reference to the King James Bible, I think allowing "King James" as an answer is proper.

I was floored by the contestant identifying Stan Lee as Charles Schulz.  What Millennial can't recognize Stan Lee?

One who doesn't read comic books?  (Or watch The Big Bang Theory, which is the only reason I knew who it was but all I could say was "that comic book guy who was on The Big Bang Theory".)

Of the two men named James who were king of England, one commissioned a version of the Bible and one didn't; a correct FJ response, imo, should require specifying which one.  If the clue had asked for the king who'd had six wives, just 'Henry' wouldn't have been correct, so just 'King James' shouldn't have been accepted for this FJ.  But we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I think.

• Love 5

Where was there a reference to the King James Bible in the clue? "In 1604, for a special project, he approved a list of scholars to work at Westminster, Cambridge & Oxford." The "special project" may have been the King James Bible, but I wouldn't say that the clue specifically referenced the King James Bible.

Regardless, I think that the contestant should have had to specify - even more so if the clue had actually referenced the King James Bible. It's too bad you can't ask BMS in FJ, though. I would have felt bad for her if she lost because of that, but I also don't think it should have been accepted.

I wouldn't recognize Stan Lee, and I'm considered a millennial.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 3

I agree with those who would require the regnal number.  If the clue was about the president who signed the New Deal into law, and someone just answered Roosevelt, I think most of us would agree that, while correct, it isn't sufficient.  I think this is the same thing.  (Of course, given the fact that they've been accepting Johnson and Adams for presidential clues, maybe we're the ones in the wrong.)

I know my own thought process took that into account.  I was pleased that I figured out the "special project" was the bible, so the answer was King James, and then had the shock of "Oh crap, which one?"

• Love 3

I know my own thought process took that into account.  I was pleased that I figured out the "special project" was the bible, so the answer was King James, and then had the shock of "Oh crap, which one?"

I'll confess to not getting the bible as the project part at all until Alex mentioned it.  I just knew it was James I from the date.  His grandson Charles II was king in 1666, so going backwards from that led me to James I in 1604.

• Love 2

i am surprised no one here commented on AT referencing the wrong Emily/wrong school and calling the dude by the wrong name.  He addressed it before double jeopardy (I think) but until then, I thought I was losing my mind in listening to him [not an impossible outcome for the Monday I had].  Also I was rooting for Emily over hyper Niki until I saw Emily's FJ cross out of William the Conqueror - glad she realized her error but there is a whole lot of difference between 1066 and 1604,

• Love 2

i am surprised no one here commented on AT referencing the wrong Emily/wrong school and calling the dude by the wrong name.  He addressed it before double jeopardy (I think) but until then, I thought I was losing my mind in listening to him [not an impossible outcome for the Monday I had].  Also I was rooting for Emily over hyper Niki until I saw Emily's FJ cross out of William the Conqueror - glad she realized her error but there is a whole lot of difference between 1066 and 1604,

Yeah, what was up with Alex yesterday? Senior moments? I thought he handled both errors well, though, with his apology.

Niki's victory surprised me as well. I was sure she was a goner after that horrific first round she had!

• Love 2

I'll confess to not getting the bible as the project part at all until Alex mentioned it.  I just knew it was James I from the date.  His grandson Charles II was king in 1666, so going backwards from that led me to James I in 1604.

I guess I figured out James and the bible together.  I knew Jamestown was founded in 1607, so that let me to a King James.  I don't know all the monarchs, but I remember some history class somewhere describing the rulers around the Civil War as a "Cromwell Sandwich":  James I, Charles I, Cromwell, Cromwell, Charles II, James II, so I could piece it together from that.

• Love 2

44 minutes ago

i am surprised no one here commented on AT referencing the wrong Emily/wrong school and calling the dude by the wrong name.  He addressed it before double jeopardy (I think) but until then, I thought I was losing my mind in listening to him

I was wondering if maybe Alex needed a vacation.

• Love 2

I would be inclined to accept King James, because the modifier 'I' was only added years later when another James came around. I went to a high school named after his predecessor, Queen Elizabeth, and it is not called Queen Elizabeth I High. It's just Queen Elizabeth High. The local hospital is named after the current queen, and it is called Queen Elizabeth II Hospital (or QEII most of the time). To me, no numeral means first.

I still would've put the 'I' if I was the one answering though....

• Love 6

I'm not sure I understand how they selected which contestants to pit against each other.  Were these 3 the highest scoring contestants from last week?  I think both Nikki and Gus had very high dollar totals when they won, but not sure about Emily.  Or maybe its a totally random match-up between all the winners.  Does anyone know? 

What was with the guy scratching his leg the whole time.  At least I think it was his leg, lol.  I was so rooting against him. I even liked Hannah in spite of her loud voice.  Although, none of them should have been in this tournament.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3

Damn. Awful game. Sam was dead to me after he revealed his love for Kanye. And he looked like he was playing with himself throughout. Sorry he won.

Why the hell was Hannah YELLING? I was rooting for Emily. Too bad she wagered so much on that DD.

Was that Weid Al Carson and his cousin, Mao Carson?

Lots of TS's. The ones I remember I got were Baton Rouge (missed DD), reciprocal, brimstone, ducks, lizards, patent leather, saddle soap and chamois. We're in the U.S., Alex. It's okay to say "shammy" instead of being pretentious.

I always miss that FJ even though I know it's been a clue before.

• Love 9

I've always thought that tournament games were supposed to have all questions read.  Is that not true.? We had 3 left in J and I think some in DJ also...

I think that would only apply to the earlier rounds, where not only game winners, but the highest scoring non-winners advance, in order to make it fair.  Since only the game winners advance in the semi-final round, it doesn't make a difference to the non-winners if not all of the clues are revealed in a particular game.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I understand how they selected which contestants to pit against each other.  Were these 3 the highest scoring contestants from last week?  I think both Nikki and Gus had very high dollar totals when they won, but not sure about Emily.  Or maybe its a totally random match-up between all the winners.  Does anyone know? 

I was wondering about that, too.  I believe Niki and Gus had the two highest scores last week and yet they were pitted against each other in the semi-final on Monday.  In the TOC they seeded the semi-finals so the three highest scorers players from the first week each got the leftmost position in the semis.  (They weren't pitted against each other.)

The guy who runs thefinalwager.co (who is himself a College Tournament alum) speculated that the producers wanted to put Niki (a California student) against Gus (Stanford) because those two schools are traditional rivals.

thefinalwager.co also has a list of past winners.  Stanford is the only school with two winners.  If Niki makes it, the University of California will become the second school to sport two winners.

• Love 1

I got ducks, lizards, patent leather, saddle soap, and chamois. I think there were others, but I can't remember now.

I was rooting for Emily. I don't hate Kanye, but I just shook my head when Sam said he'd vote for him for President.

We're in the U.S., Alex. It's okay to say "shammy" instead of being pretentious.

I wondered if 'shammy' would be accepted. I've never heard the way Alex pronounced it, though I think if I never heard of the word before, if I saw it I would pronounce it that way. So, why do we say 'shammy'?

• Love 4

I got ducks, lizards, patent leather, saddle soap, and chamois. I think there were others, but I can't remember now.

I was rooting for Emily. I don't hate Kanye, but I just shook my head when Sam said he'd vote for him for President.

I wondered if 'shammy' would be accepted. I've never heard the way Alex pronounced it, though I think if I never heard of the word before, if I saw it I would pronounce it that way. So, why do we say 'shammy'?

IIRC, the clue was asking for the name of the animal the cloth comes from, the Chamois, which is pronounced the way Alex pronounced it. A shammy is the cloth itself.

• Love 2