Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

"Neutrino" made me laugh...the clue was looking for something in outer space, not a subatomic particle!

Although, I had absolutely no idea for FJ. I didn't know what the words in the clue even meant!

• Love 2

I thought they should have accepted  "recreational vehicle" for the clue that the Brits call it a caravan, but now I'm not sure. 

I think that if Fred Yawn--I mean Vaughn--hadn't ended up winning, they would've had to bring him back, because that was a very bad ruling on the caravan clue.  I even looked it up during the commercial, expecting them to make some kind of adjustment after they came back.  The British dictionary I checked defined a caravan as "a ​wheeled ​vehicle for ​living or ​travelling in, ​especially for ​holidays, that ​contains ​beds and ​cooking ​equipment and can be ​pulled by a ​car."  Which is a lot closer to an RV than to a mobile home, which isn't really meant to be mobile in the usual sense at all.  Anybody who reads a lot of British lit (guilty) knows what a caravan is.

• Love 8

Christ almighty Alex she didn't know that the University of South Carolina had a hockey team, not that she didn't know what hockey is.

Right?? For a second, I was like, Wait. Was Lord Stanley connected to South Carolina somehow??

Fred is killing me. It still kind of makes me laugh, but he is killing me! And you can see from the post-show chat that he is capable of speaking in a normal pace and rhythm!

• Love 3

Christ almighty Alex she didn't know that the University of South Carolina had a hockey team, not that she didn't know what hockey is.

She was so beautiful I'm sad she did not win and I have another day with the somnambulist Fred. Today was my first exposure to him and ugh and oy.

Sonam is gorgeous.  Grrrrr.  I was kind of a little sad she didn't defeat Fred.

Overall a decent pretty decent game -- not a lot of TS, and they cleared the board in both rounds.

• Love 2

Total B.S. on the caravan clue. The British call campers and RV's caravans. I have a friend in England who just sent me a photo of her new caravan. It looks just like a Winnebago. Dumbass judges! Maybe he should have answered Carson recreational vehicle. Sheesh!

I got the cliff dwellings TS.

FJ was an instaget. For some reason, "Houston, we have a problem" popped into my head right away.

• Love 9

I also got FJ immediately because I had rewatched Apollo 13 recently. If I hadn't, who knows? 

The champ is kind of a weirdo but he is growing on me. Someone upthread called him Ben Carson, which is hilarious.

• Love 1

I came up with Houston at the last second, so I wasn't surprised that none of the contestants got it. Hard!

I can't believe they showed a picture of Jupiter...

• Love 2

Ganymede question:  they do seem to like questions on the order of "Such-and-such obscure event occurred in 1632 in this city, which is the capital of France."

However, Jupiter and Saturn have so many moons that I, at least, find it difficult to keep them straight.

• Love 3

Ganymede question:  they do seem to like questions on the order of "Such-and-such obscure event occurred in 1632 in this city, which is the capital of France."

However, Jupiter and Saturn have so many moons that I, at least, find it difficult to keep them straight.

I'm sure plenty of people mix up the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, so it makes it a relatively decent Jeopardy question.

However, even a child should be able to recognize a photo of Jupiter!

• Love 3

A British "caravan" is the equivalent of a US "travel trailer". It's not an RV and really not the same as a mobile home, although there are some mobile home parks which are strictly for vacations, not full-time living.

• Love 2

I'm sure plenty of people mix up the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, so it makes it a relatively decent Jeopardy question.

But the picture had the very prominent Great Red Spot -- which is Jupiter only.

• Love 1

Jupiter's moons are mostly (if not all?) romantic conquests, so if you know the myths, it's easy to associate the moon with the planet. I had no idea for FJ. The champ is verrrrry sloowww.

• Love 2

I think that if Fred Yawn--I mean Vaughn--

Hee. 

I had a hard time deciphering the FJ clue. My first thought was that this referred to the NYC blackout, but I wasn't sure of the year. Plus, I figured the people of the first and second quote were in separate cities, so the blackout didn't make sense. 'Houston, we have a problem' didn't occur to me. I always think of that event taking place in the 60s.

• Love 3

I never understood what Blondie saw in Dagwood.

Someone's answered this above, but my Mom (who was around when the strip began) told me Dagwood was from a rich family & Blondie was a golddigger. When he wanted to marry her, he was disowned by his parents, thus making him have to WORK <shudder> for Mr. Dithers.

I had NO idea what FJ was about.

• Love 2

A British "caravan" is the equivalent of a US "travel trailer". It's not an RV and really not the same as a mobile home, although there are some mobile home parks which are strictly for vacations, not full-time living.

I wondered if they would have accepted "trailer" (without "travel").

• Love 1

I wondered if they would have accepted "trailer" (without "travel").

Didn't the clue call for 2 words? Add me to the caravan question was BS list (parade?).

I was spoiled for FJ, but my husband, who usually gets FJ, said the NYC blackout. When I told him he was wrong, he didn't get it, and then did a "duh" when the answer was revealed.

• Love 2

I had a hard time deciphering the FJ clue. My first thought was that this referred to the NYC blackout, but I wasn't sure of the year.

Me too.  Which seems to be happening a lot lately - who ever is writing the FJ questions has not be very clear lately IMO.

The sad thing about missing FJ is the one thing I always remember about the space program is that Apollo 13 happened in 1970.  It seems to come up at trivia a lot. Because, that was the year my Dad was in Vietnam and my Mom said that she wrote to Nixon complaining that he should care as much about our soldiers in Vietnam as he did about the 3 people in Apollo 13.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 6

Three good players today (Tues) but they were stymied by a tough Final Jeopardy.  (I didn't get it either.)

It took me a moment, but I did get Houston in time to have written it down.  Not sure how, exactly, but the space program is an interest of mine and something about the volts or whatever must've been hiding in the back of my brain.

I thought they should have accepted  "recreational vehicle" for the clue that the Brits call it a caravan, but now I'm not sure.

I said RV, but after thinking about it for a moment (and remembering all those Top Gear episodes where they make Jeremy go caravanning) I decided that 'camper' would've been a better answer since the caravans are often separate, towed compartments rather than having the driving mechanisms in them like rvs do.

• Love 5

In Greek mythology, Ganymede was one of Zeus' many lovers.  Since Jupiter is the Roman version of Zeus, that is how I remember that Ganymede is one of Jupiter's moons.  Some of the other planets' moons completely stump me, though.

• Love 1

Someone's answered this above, but my Mom (who was around when the strip began) told me Dagwood was from a rich family & Blondie was a golddigger. When he wanted to marry her, he was disowned by his parents, thus making him have to WORK <shudder> for Mr. Dithers.

Yeah, but if he was disowned before they got married, and if she was really just after his (parents') money, why go ahead and marry him once his access to the money was gone?

This merits more study, I think.  Stay tuned for my forthcoming book, Deconstructing Dagwood.

I still think that "mobile home" was the worst of all possible answers to the caravan clue.  Sometimes those judges just seem to be messing with us on purpose.

• Love 7

Houston was an instaget for me--"Houston, we have a problem" popped into my head immediately, but I have no idea why, since the quote they actually gave meant nothing to me. (Of course, undervolt doesn't sound like a good thing, so maybe that's it!)

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 2

I didn't. Not everyone remembers everything they ever learned.

Edited by Seestra1
  • Love 3

But the picture had the very prominent Great Red Spot -- which is Jupiter only.

Yes, that was my point. It was a very easy-to-recognize picture, although even without showing the red spot, Jupiter is rather recognizable.

I'd expect more from Jeopardy and Jeopardy contestants. Although, I think someone made the point earlier - which I agree with - that they tend to start off with some sort of obscure factoid and then add in something at the end that makes it really obvious what the answer is. It's kind of nice as a viewer because then you end up learning new things - for example, I didn't know that Gannymede has a huge amount of water under the surface - but for the game itself it seems to cheapen it a bit, imo.

• Love 6

First time ever FJ was an instaget for me on two consecutive days.  Don't know why Blondie and Dagwood came to mind right away, but having been born and raised and still living in the Houston area, yesterday's was easy.  The fact that I've seen Apollo 13 about 20 times might have helped.  I was impressed that Alex said the exact quote, "Houston, we've had a problem".  

• Love 2

They guy over at http://thefinalwager.co/has been talking about a "drought" of four-time champs and has been counting the days.  64 days through yesterday.

But Fred comes through and does it!  Four days.  Will probably be in the next Tournament of Champions.  And he's just so relaxed about it!  I know you all disagree with me, but I am liking Fred.

• Love 4

Sigh. Umm. Deep breath. Pause.

I seriously cannot take this guy. I was so rooting for Colin or Bianca. And I said Veep too, even though I've actually never watched either of those shows, but I do watch the Emmy's and know Julia Louis-Dreyfus wins a lot.

Very surprised sperm whale was a TS.

• Love 3

What was the deal on that fill-in-the-blanks category in the first round?  For AD_ _ T, Fred gave the
"E P" to form the word "ADEPT", but was dinged as incorrect.  Then Alex gave the correct answer as "ADEPT".  Were they supposed to say the whole word instead of just filling in the missing letters?  Could they not get what he was going for?  I was expecting a correction after the break, but it never came.

• Love 9

I think the point was to say the whole word.  The letters alone weren't enough.

I somehow got FJ, although I'm not sure why or how.  I've never watched the show, and didn't pay much attention to the Emmys last year, either.

Bianca answered "man" for the song. She should have been dinged, or least gotten a BMS because the song is "daring young man on the flying trapeze." And Fred should not have been dinged for the EP. I like Fred and hope he wins tomorrow.

• Love 3

What was the deal on that fill-in-the-blanks category in the first round?  For AD_ _ T, Fred gave the

"E P" to form the word "ADEPT", but was dinged as incorrect.  Then Alex gave the correct answer as "ADEPT".  Were they supposed to say the whole word instead of just filling in the missing letters?  Could they not get what he was going for?  I was expecting a correction after the break, but it never came.

Yes, that was confusing, especially since they dropped the "fill in the missing letters" after the first two clues.

I got savvy, Sylvia Plath, the Union Pacific, and Toynbee's History.

I missed "Orange is the New Black," which annoyed me, since I watch the show. My mind went to "House of Cards," oddly.

Fred's slow picking and pauses got on my nerves more today than on his previous appearances for some reason.

• Love 5

I like Fred, but OMG I thought he was going to lapse into a coma at any moment. Take a nap, dude!

I got Slovenia, adept, Union Pacific and sperm whale. Fred should have gotten credit for adept, though.

I was clueless in FJ.

• Love 3

I also gave just the letters - guess I didn't read the clue carefully enough.  But I thought there would be a correction too.

My TS's were Union Pacific, savvy and History.

I was really pulling for Colin, too bad he missed FJ.  Fred seems nice enough but his slowness is so annoying.

Bianca got lucky a couple times, when Colin said adroit for adept and it ended up being the next clue, and when Fred wrongly gave Czech Republic and it was the correct a couple of clues later.  Of course it was sharp of her to pick up on both - of course, she may well have known them anyhow.

Forgot to mention re yesterday's show, that Amelia Earhart made her 1,213th appearance on the show.

Did not get FJ.  I've never seen the show so I had no idea it was a comedy/drama, and I don't pay attention to the Emmy's.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

I got Houston right away the other day because I really couldn't think of anything else that happened in 1970. In my defense, it was before my time...

I missed Orange is the New Black and slapped my forehead as soon as the correct answer was revealed. I should have known that one, since I'm a fan of the show and always watch the Emmys.

I like Fred and am rooting for him, but his slowness does drive me crazy. I can't explain that one bit. My mother, who is rarely bothered by the things that bother me when I watch, was screaming at the screen today. She said he's exasperating. I was irritated that we didn't get to finish the women sports category, as I would have run it I'm sure.

• Love 2

I get that "zabaglione" is not the easiest word to pronounce, but "zabaloney" doesn't quite cut it for me.  Fred should have been dinged on that one.

When it looked as if Fred might be gone, I planned to make a batch of zabaloney to celebrate.  I still may make some, but I think I'll spike it with dexedrine.

Forgot to mention re yesterday's show, that Amelia Earhart made her 1,213th appearance on the show.

You mean 1,213th this month, right?

I think Bianca's son should've been there instead of Bianca.  She certainly made a good case for that.

• Love 5

I get that "zabaglione" is not the easiest word to pronounce, but "zabaloney" doesn't quite cut it for me.  Fred should have been dinged on that one.

At least he didn't pronounce the "g" in it :) I think his pronunciation was close enough.

Wow! That puts her in ~16.8% of all episodes thus far. I didn't realize she popped up so often.

OITNB seemed obvious in retrospect but, never having seen it and rarely watching the Emmys, I wasn't able to come up with it.

• Love 5

That's true so often! "Blah blah blah....female poet...blah blah blah blah" = Dickinson regardless of the category.

Except when they trick us by including Sylvia Plath.

Were they supposed to say the whole word instead of just filling in the missing letters?

Yes.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 6

The category that looked like "fill in the blank" threw me off as well! I was certain they'd go back and credit the champ for 'adept", and then I felt badly for the middle guy who chimed in "adroit" one clue ahead of its time! (Middle guy went to my alma mater!) Savvy was the only TS I recall getting, and I failed FJ. I don't watch the show, and chose "Shameless", but had a suspicion that it had never actually won in either category (it USED to be good at both comedy and drama!).

• Love 1

The category that looked like "fill in the blank" threw me off as well! I was certain they'd go back and credit the champ for 'adept", and then I felt badly for the middle guy who chimed in "adroit" one clue ahead of its time! (Middle guy went to my alma mater!) Savvy was the only TS I recall getting, and I failed FJ. I don't watch the show, and chose "Shameless", but had a suspicion that it had never actually won in either category (it USED to be good at both comedy and drama!).

He's been the victim of a couple of bad rulings: that one and the RV one from the other day. Fortunately for him, he's won anyway, but if he hadn't I think they'd have had to consider bringing him back.

• Love 4

Bianca answered "man" for the song. She should have been dinged, or least gotten a BMS because the song is "daring young man on the flying trapeze." 

She said "the man on the flying trapeze," but yes she left out "daring young." I think a BMS would have been good.

I was annoyed that Alex didn't prompt Fred to reword his answer when he said E P, or even to give it to him and then say that the contestants were to give the word. Obviously Fred knew what the word was because he filled in the correct letters. 

I got savvy, history, and Sylvia Plath. I immediately said OITNB for FJ, but I wondered if there could be another answer since there's often controversy about shows being called comedies when they're really dramas, and vice versa. Nurse Jackie was one, but I knew that was a few years back. I also considered Transparent, but I was pretty sure that was never in the drama category. VEEP never occurred to me because there's no way anyone would see that as a drama. Oh Colin. How you disappointed me.

Fred's pauses were making me pull out my hair, but then it just became funny.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

Sigh. Umm. Deep breath. Pause.

I seriously cannot take this guy. I was so rooting for Colin or Bianca. And I said Veep too, even though I've actually never watched either of those shows, but I do watch the Emmy's and know Julia Louis-Dreyfus wins a lot.

Very surprised sperm whale was a TS.

I knew it was Orange Is The New Black; I still had a subscription to Entertainment Weekly when it was nominated the second time and remember reading the op ed about the change from the comedy category to the drama one.  But I'm with you on Fred.  He's nice but dull and too slow for my taste.  Yeah, I know, I'm fickle.  Oh, and while I would've known that 'whale' was the answer, I wouldn't have gotten 'sperm whale' specifically if I hadn't recently both seen and read In the Heart of the Sea, which involves that particular sub-species.

Bianca answered "man" for the song. She should have been dinged, or least gotten a BMS because the song is "daring young man on the flying trapeze." And Fred should not have been dinged for the EP. I like Fred and hope he wins tomorrow.

Apparently The Man on the Flying Trapeze has been an alternate title for the song almost since it was first written.  I did not know that.  Jeopardy is educational.

(Edited because 'had' and 'hadn't' mean opposite things)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2