Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

On 9/8/2016 at 7:41 AM, lordonia said:

The condoms segment made me wonder about Trevor's light accent in comparison to that of the Deputy President's, which was very thick. I don't think Trevor had any kind of posh schooling as a child, but we know he's an amazing mimic.

The thing with South African accents is that it is a big pool of mixed accents.  As an example:  Those of us who are Afrikaans and staying in the Highveld (Pretoria/Joburg) have different accents from those who are Afrikaans and staying on the coast or in the Cape as an example.  

Zulu/Xhosa/Sepedi, etc is the same thing.  Different areas have different accents.  And then you throw in English as a second/third/fourth language and the accents just get more varied...

One thing I have noticed is that the younger generations, who had more exposure to American culture (be it through TV/Games/Music, etc) have much more "western" English accents, than the older generations.  Even if their "first language" accents may be similar to that of their parents.  

Trevor's accent is similar to many of my colleagues English accents (and also quite similar to my own), and we are from many different backgrounds - English/Venda/Afrikaans/Zulu/Xhosa even Nigerian...  If you work in a mostly English setting the accents also tend to be more "Westernized".

Whilst VP Ramaphoza's accent is your typical "older" African gentleman accent - learned English at school, but wasn't as exposed to the language as those younger than him...

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, Snipsa said:

<SNIP>Different areas have different accents.  And then you throw in English as a second/third/fourth language and the accents just get more varied...

<SNIP>

One thing I have noticed is that the younger generations, who had more exposure to American culture (be it through TV/Games/Music, etc) have much more "western" English accents, than the older generations.  Even if their "first language" accents may be similar to that of their parents.  

Same thing in Ireland on both points:

1.  For such a small island there's tremendous diversity of accents.  

2. My cousin's kids are sounding much less Irish than my cousins.   There is sort of a 'homogenizing' of accents to the point where they're really approaching American. 

4 hours ago, Snipsa said:

The thing with South African accents is that it is a big pool of mixed accents.  As an example:  Those of us who are Afrikaans and staying in the Highveld (Pretoria/Joburg) have different accents from those who are Afrikaans and staying on the coast or in the Cape as an example.  

Zulu/Xhosa/Sepedi, etc is the same thing.  Different areas have different accents.  And then you throw in English as a second/third/fourth language and the accents just get more varied...

Trevor's accent is similar to many of my colleagues English accents (and also quite similar to my own), and we are from many different backgrounds - English/Venda/Afrikaans/Zulu/Xhosa even Nigerian...  If you work in a mostly English setting the accents also tend to be more "Westernized".

Whilst VP Ramaphoza's accent is your typical "older" African gentleman accent - learned English at school, but wasn't as exposed to the language as those younger than him...

That's not terribly different from accents in this country. I think of the diversity of "Southern" accents. Grab people from S.C, Texas, Mississippi and West Virginia with similar demographics (age, race, income) and the accents will be vastly different. The same is true for English accents. Compare American, British and Australian.

(Forgive me. I'm a bit of an amateur linguist.)

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

Drumpf never really answers questions, and neither do his spokespeople.   Matt Lauer should stick to hard-hitting interviews of boy bands, as Trevor pointed out.   Jon Stewart created a brand, but was very difficult to follow.   In this crazy election season, the "real" news media have become the joke now, and the jokesters like Trevor have become the serious journalists.  Shows like this do their homework, while the "real" media has to be taught about journalism by Soledad O'Brien.   I would prefer George R R Martin to most of the "real' media.  He went to Journalism school, IIRC.

• Love 2

Watching "as it happened" rerun of NBC's live coverage from 9/11 confirms that Lauer has always been a light weight. He asked everyone NBC spoke to for the first half hour "what kind of plane was it? how big was it?" As the images f the planes replays, all he can talk about is how it looked like a small commuter plane to him and contradicted a woman on the phone who said it was a large jet, etc. 

• Love 2

TDS is right, Hillary was screwed either way.  Show up to the 9/11 ceremony and faint due to dehydration, or don't show up and be called unpatriotic (even if she had a good excuse).  And yes, if you're a racist, bigot, homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, you are deplorable.

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

TDS is right, Hillary was screwed either way.  Show up to the 9/11 ceremony and faint due to dehydration, or don't show up and be called unpatriotic (even if she had a good excuse).  And yes, if you're a racist, bigot, homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, you are deplorable.

Yep. I was just about to turn the show off because of what we've already talked about ad nauseum then they managed to veer and surprise me by bringing the point home.  Who was the actress playing Hillary in that skit?

I hope "Africa Jokes" becomes a recurring thing.

Hasan with the protesters was a thing of beauty. When that pony took off with him on it I thought, "See? That's what you get for playing!"

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

Is Trevor's accent going away, or am I just getting used to it?  It's seems to be coming and going and varying a lot more than before.

I didn't like Hasan's bit with the Native Americans at all.   I'm glad they told him to get out of there. 

The Moment of Zen was not funny, IMO, just stupid. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Is Trevor's accent going away, or am I just getting used to it?  It's seems to be coming and going and varying a lot more than before.

I think that the more we hear Trevor do other accents and other characters the less noticeable his becomes. JMHO.

• Love 3

Often people get used to a particular person's cadence and tone and the accent becomes such a part of that identification it just diminishes in terms of being noticeable.  Maybe you hear 'Trevor' mentally and not Trevor with his accent if that makes sense.

I was glad that Trevor and the show took the Clinton campaign to task even as it showed how ridiculous the spin on the whole matter was.  But Trevor points out how horrible the images looked to those who take five seconds out of their day to see what is trending and think that is keeping up with the 'news'.  But I also am so the choir here when Trevor delivers some of his WTF criticism on lack of transparency.  This stage of the campaign no reminds me when the Obama Administration was going into its second year and I would watch Rachel Maddow and her guests discuss some of the lather rinse and repeat futility in getting Republicans to even compromise on their own initial issues and Democrats in the House and Senate were such dumbasses and wavered on pulling the trigger.  Thanks btw Nancy and Harry.  It was nice to see the sequel that brought us Justice Alito carry over into a legislative disaster these past six years.  But Rachel had great insight but even more simple common sense and it had me howling in agreement at my tv and thinking why isn't someone at the White House with a brain listening to this.  (I know why, because Rahm fucking Emmanuel thought his dick was big enough to conquer Washington).  And last night was an example that for me showed yet more simple common sense that seems to be lacking in the Clinton Campaign.  It was smart and yet simple how the show laid out how to keep your base from wavering or feeling uncertain.  As Trevor pointed out, the real matter here, is that the other side is going to say something damaging anyway.  They have made shit up.  But being transparent at this time shows your own supporters that they matter in the scheme of things.  That they are smart enough to realize a candidate can get ill just like all those other people in their life do; co-workers, family members, whatever.   I don't know if it just comes from stewing in the welter that is D.C. or if it is a new ideology but people already have a candidate who won't admit he is ever wrong even when he himself has said he thinks the exact opposite --as Trevor has shown in the same damn interview. 

I actually hope that Trevor and the show continue to hold the Clinton Campaign up for deserved criticism because now is the time when they need to stop thinking the Moldy on Top Spoiled Yam is determined win. 

Edited by tenativelyyours
board weirdness and I do know there difference between 'there' and 'their' spellcheck
  • Love 1

I like that Hasan sometimes plays that "narrow-minded America" part in his field pieces, like here where he wheedles the Native Americans about, "Why can't you trust us just this once?  Name me ONE time..."  (His "freak-out" over Syrian refugees in the story where he interviewed Justin Trudeau was another one.)  Is that a weird thing to appreciate?  I don't know.  I just like that Hasan can do stories like this - which, on other shows, might only go to white guys - AND stories like asking Trump supporters about the Muslim ban or comparing Trump to ISIS.

Even though she's definitely damned either way, I thought the show did a nice job critiquing how Hillary's campaign handled this situation.  It seems that's a place the show often goes to with her campaign - that it's not what they do, it's how they try to handle it.  I enjoyed the montage of sample statements Hillary should have made as she was coming out.  (Also, I was right there with Trevor cringing at the footage of all the touching and kissing.  You can be as factual and it's-really-not-that-contagious to me as you want, it's still gonna weird me out.)

• Love 5

I love Trevor's gag with thanking the non-existent band, as long as it's just silliness and not a sign that he really wants CC to give the show a band. Not that I'm anti-band, but it would seem like something a show has only when they are abandoning the news/commentary agenda and moving towards purely fluffy entertainment.

I also like that he's been doing an opening story with some international perspective-- more of that, please!

"Only in a rich nation would you throw food at people you don't like"-- awesome. And pelting with jock straps instead of women's undergarments? And then sniffing them as they go to commercial-- my oh my.

I was glad to see him supporting Kaepernick, but I don't understand why everyone says the US military has been fighting for our free speech rights and other civil liberties. When was the last time any war we got in had anything to do with that? Isn't it always about oil, or policing of some conflict elsewhere? In fact, things like the passing of the Patriot Act were passed using war as an excuse to increase surveillance and place more restrictions on the population. The troops fighting for our civil rights at home is one of those things people keep saying, which strikes me as pure BS.

I don't like the new backdrop. It's too busy and distracting and just seems over-colored.

Re the interview (which was super short-- I wonder if Trevor is going to reduce interview time in general or if this was just a fluke)-- do the high schools not teach kids how to register to vote?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, marceline said:

Yep. I was just about to turn the show off because of what we've already talked about ad nauseum then they managed to veer and surprise me by bringing the point home.  Who was the actress playing Hillary in that skit?

I hope "Africa Jokes" becomes a recurring thing.

Hasan with the protesters was a thing of beauty. When that pony took off with him on it I thought, "See? That's what you get for playing!"

I love African Jokes! I've got family from that region. Every once in awhile they'll just casually drop something that makes me do a double-take or think, "no confirming stereotypes in front of the company, please!"

I liked their take on HRC's illness and missteps - literal and otherwise. I remember many moments when Jon would basically plead "why are you making it easier for them?" But then, even if she were doing backflips and got a clean bill of health from Dr. Oz, people will believe what they want.

Hillary fainted. Bush vomited all over the place at a dinner with foreign leaders. It's concerning, but more to the point is that it's easier to report in a tabloid manner than actual policy issues. Trevor is doing a good job of addressing candidate foibles, but he hasn't taken on a critique of the state of journalism (so called) to the same degree.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I love Trevor's gag with thanking the non-existent band, as long as it's just silliness and not a sign that he really wants CC to give the show a band. Not that I'm anti-band, but it would seem like something a show has only when they are abandoning the news/commentary agenda and moving towards purely fluffy entertainment.

I was wondering what the deal with that was. It seemed strange. If the joke is going to continue, eventually there will have to be a band there, if only for one night, right?

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

&

6 hours ago, trow125 said:

I was wondering what the deal with that was. It seemed strange. If the joke is going to continue, eventually there will have to be a band there, if only for one night, right?

And it'd have to be a huge band - something on the order of the Stones or some other band with a huge following.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

The troops fighting for our civil rights at home is one of those things people keep saying, which strikes me as pure BS.

Honestly, I've never given that much thought. I'll call it, retroactively, the Trump Effect, where you say something often enough people will think it's true. But I suppose the 'reasoning' behind it is that for whatever reason we are in a war, we want to win; therefore, whatever this country stands for or whichever aspects we associate with it are part of the stakes. Soldiers fight for their country, so they fight for what their country stands for. I guess.

I wasn't going to listen to the interview, but I'm glad I did. I'd never heard of The Skimm. I wish I had during the Olympics because that calendar sounds like it would have been helpful. I follow a lot of news people on Twitter, and I'm registered at a several news sites, so either thru Twitter or emails I get introduced to stories and learn about existing ones. Still, I might try out The Skimm and see if it appeals to me.

The invisible band introduction seems like something Stephen Wright would do and I find it amusing, but it doesn't strike me as being Trevor's type of humor at all so it's a little odd from that perspective.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

Unless there's a punchline coming later, Trevor needs to give up the invisible house band. It was barely amusing when it first came up, even less so now. Craig Ferguson made it amusing with Alfredo Sauce and the Shy Guys, and he only did it once in awhile on TLLS.

I liked that they brought up Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest. But the best part of the segment was Trevor mocking American football while praising "real" football (soccer) and getting pelted with all kinds of stuff from the audience as a result. But they could have done without Roy's court act, which really added nothing, IMO.

• Love 3

The band gag worked better when he followed it with "you guys actually thought I had a band? Ha!" Last night, he just turned back to business as usual. It was awkward. It's my kind of joke. But, coming from Trevor it seems like he's just testing new gags for the show.

• Love 1
On 9/13/2016 at 3:26 PM, atomationage said:

I didn't like Hasan's bit with the Native Americans at all.   I'm glad they told him to get out of there. 

You didn't think it was funny, or you didn't like what Hasan said to the Native American people? Or something else? Hasan was being satirical and was playing the role that Jordan usually plays--the naive/racist/in denial American who has no idea why the Native Americans are so upset about  possibility of the pipeline being built and its potential ramifications. In fact, Hasan's "Name one time..." spurned quite an extensive list of times America has lied to and systematically killed large numbers of Native Americans. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, topanga said:

You didn't think it was funny, or you didn't like what Hasan said to the Native American people?

IMO, it wasn't funny and I didn't like what he said.   He seemed to upset the Native Americans, besides getting on a horse that he couldn't control with children running around.   I got the satire, but it fell flat for me. 

I hated the viral rant, especially the name "viral rant." It seems desperate. Funny, when I got home, Trevor apparently had gone viral according to the Facebook analytics; but it was for his Colin K. stuff.

Hasan's piece reminded me of the early part of Jon's run. I watch some of that 24 hour feed they did before Jon; and some of those segments were overly mean to the participants. At least more recently this kind of segment was saved for people holding IMO ridiculous and illogical stances on issues. It's kind of strange to mock a terrible treaty by doing what Hasan did to the people who will be negatively affected by the pipeline.

Edited by LJonEarth
  • Love 1

Hasan's piece was exactly the kind of thing the Daily show did consistently all through out Stewart's tenure.   During the last few years, they went to a European country and talked about socialized medicine and Jordan acted the same way. It's an entitled attitude meant to be shown as ridiculous and make the other person look smarter.   

I wish they focused on the pipeline and this issue versus just our historically bad treatment of Native Americans, to better highlight the issue. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4

I really enjoyed the interview with President Clinton. Now I'm going to see if there's an extended version online. It was clear it was edited, and obvious. Usually, in the past, you can't tell where something was cut off, but there were at least three places where the editing was choppy. And the show ran about six minutes long, and the interview cut off, so I went to watch it on demand. I thought it was adorable how Clinton covered his face with his hands when Trevor said he was going to gift him with balloons.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Thanks, GHScorpiosRule, I'm watching that  33 minute version of the Clinton interview.

You're welcome! I wish some of the things he talked about--Loretta Lynch, Hillary's response to "basket of deplorables," etc, had made it into the broadcast interview.

• Love 2

I'll need to watch that later.

The ending with the balloons was fantastic. His response -- covering his face as he laughed, then holding a balloon aloft and saying, "Yay!!!!" -- was adorable.

As I read online, Dr Oz and Trump deserve each other.

• Love 4
On 9/14/2016 at 2:05 AM, trow125 said:

Yeah I think once made it funny.  If I recall, when they redid the set when Stewart was still there, they put in that stage area so musical guests were easier to accommodate.  So there is that big empty space (big for the set), and it made a funny joke the first time.  Now though in order for it to work for me, it means there is a band going to be there eventually.  I was guessing there would be several no band band jokes and then one night there will be one.

But that itself would be so wrong.  I'm not even a fan of the musical guests.  In general, because I feel they eat up time I want spent elsewhere.  And just to be clear, I often think the same about the interviews with other guests.  I would love for the show to only have guests that are of import and then give them a double segment or do the headlines and then nothing but interview. 

Of course the problem is that what I think is important likely is not for many others and vice versa.  And I also realize that what I think is a time suck in regards to a musical guests is likely due to my perception and doesn't involve an actual stop watch on my part to add facts into the equation -- look Ma, I'm on Fox!

I liked the viral rant in idea and most of it in execution.  I like the idea of Trevor ending the show with something like that when something isn't news but it persists.  Like Jon Stewart's rant about guns.  Or some of Trevor's own work on guns here; particularly after Orlando.  I like focused and pointed exasperation and Sam Bee is killing it in that regard pretty much most of her episodes.  John Oliver often does it as well and for me he does it mostly on topical stuff and not the slow simmering pot of charter schools or predatory loan practices. 

But it seems a little rushed and lacked the punch that Trevor has already delivered on the Angry Yam more than once in the front of the show pieces. 

Though if the Yam wins, I want Trevor to spend an entire show viral slamming the American voter.  It could even be a week long mini-series.   Because at the end, the Yam is nowhere near as offensive as the people that would either vote or simply "non-vote" such a creature into office of any kind.  Let alone the President of the U.S. 

I like the idea of the viral rant, but I don't think this particular one worked in execution. He was talking so fast and choppy that it seemed like he was trying to break the world record for fast-talking outrage. Had he slowed down and made it a bit more focused, I think it would have been much better.

• Love 4
On 9/17/2016 at 1:05 PM, peeayebee said:

ITA. The idea is worth repeating, but Trevor needs to work on his delivery. It didn't feel natural. It felt like he was trying to act outraged rather than really being outraged.

I did feel his rage when he talked about unarmed black men and women being shot by the police. 

Michelle Wolf's bit was pretty funny.  I don't really understand how they can call a muslim swim suit a word that's derivative of a skimply barely covering anything swim suit. Why not combine it with the word 'malliot' a one-piece suit.  burkliot.

• Love 1

Michelle Wolf needs somebody to converse with on TDS, whether it's Trevor or one of the other correspondants. It's very hard to listen to her talk non stop the way she does. As for the birkini, it kind of reminds me of those old bathing suits women used to wear in the late 19th Century-early 20th Century.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Michelle Wolf needs somebody to converse with on TDS, whether it's Trevor or one of the other correspondants. It's very hard to listen to her talk non stop the way she does. As for the birkini, it kind of reminds me of those old bathing suits women used to wear in the late 19th Century-early 20th Century.

Even when she's been across the desk from Trevor, she's still giggly and hyper excitable. I like the content but her delivery needs a lot of work.

• Love 7

I am generally not of fan of comedians who laugh at their own jokes.  I don't mind a smile or a little chuckle  after a particularly good joke in a stand-up act while the audience is laughing, but giggling throughout a joke is annoys me.  TDS isn't a stand up comedy act, it is supposed to be a fake newscast, so Michelle's giggling makes me want to change the channel.  

• Love 3