Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Aw, I love Michelle. "News" shows often have commentators these days, so I don't think her style is out of place. Stand up, sit at desk, I don't care. I like that she's kind of the everywoman observer; I find her relatable. Many of the "correspondents" on TDS use a character device like "affected idiocy" or "sarcastic asshole" but Wolf just gives it to us unvarnished, and I kind of like that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Drumph stealing money from his own charity to enhance his business + the blithering ignorance from his supporters that Jordan showed us = depressing.

Not just depressing. Scary. The supporters they showed in the segment all think Trump is the answer and believe all of the rhetoric he's spouted. The problem is that most of the rhetoric has been proved wrong, but these supporters either don't know or don't care. And the supporter who was appalled that Obama "wasn't around the Office" after 9/11 echoes the comments of the Trump PAID STAFF ADVISER on CNN (I think) who said that Obama's actions led to 9/11.

Jada Pinkett-Smith was actually likable in her interview. And she looked better. I wonder if she's had more plastic surgery--or if her face finally "settled." Her eyes weren't as slanted and her cheekbones weren't as severe as they were when she appeared in "Bad Moms."  I think it's cool that her 'Gotham' character is being raised from the dead based on fan support. That's gotta be flattering. 

• Love 2

I know it's a pretty standard sort of thing that Jordan is doing going out and letting Trump supporters ramble incoherently but it stopped being funny about 5 polling percentage points ago.  We get it.  These people don't read, apparently can't follow what little actual reporting is being done, and get most of their misinformation from bumper stickers, YouTube, and Facebook memes.  It's increasingly terrifying to me that these people get to vote or that their vote counts just as much as mine does and I can't laugh about it anymore.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, topanga said:

Not just depressing. Scary. The supporters they showed in the segment all think Trump is the answer and believe all of the rhetoric he's spouted. The problem is that most of the rhetoric has been proved wrong, but these supporters either don't know or don't care. And the supporter who was appalled that Obama "wasn't around the Office" after 9/11 echoes the comments of the Trump PAID STAFF ADVISER on CNN (I think) who said that Obama's actions led to 9/11.

25 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

I know it's a pretty standard sort of thing that Jordan is doing going out and letting Trump supporters ramble incoherently but it stopped being funny about 5 polling percentage points ago.  We get it.  These people don't read, apparently can't follow what little actual reporting is being done, and get most of their misinformation from bumper stickers, YouTube, and Facebook memes.  It's increasingly terrifying to me that these people get to vote or that their vote counts just as much as mine does and I can't laugh about it anymore.

To be perfectly clear, I am not defending Trump supporters. I just think these points and the supporters themselves highlight the real problem with American media today -- media consumption has become so polarized, no one ever has to hear something they don't want to. Intellectual curiosity is derided as "elitist".  It's really appalling and only getting worse.

• Love 4

Oh, I agree.  One of the more interesting things to me about this entire political season has been how many people on both ends of the political spectrum don't trust any media that doesn't support their world view or the media in general.  Fox News set the ball rolling and social media and partisan news sites really amplified it. People are creating their own echo chambers.  The Trumpkins in Jordan's piece are just a particularly egregious example of it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Oh, I agree.  One of the more interesting things to me about this entire political season has been how many people on both ends of the political spectrum don't trust any media that doesn't support their world view or the media in general.  Fox News set the ball rolling and social media and partisan news sites really amplified it. People are creating their own echo chambers.  The Trumpkins in Jordan's piece are just a particularly egregious example of it.

I think the media can take at least some of the blame for this.  Too much time spent trying to be "hip" and "cool" and "trendy" - making their newcasts more like Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.  Reporters seem to concentrate on the "fluff" and when they do ask a a more "hard-hitting" question, they don't listen to the answer carefully and ask more questions (digging deeper), they just keep going down their list of questions.  

When you feel that a fake newscast on a Comedy station has more in depth coverage of the issues than the actual news stations do, there is something wrong with the media.   

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

When you feel that a fake newscast on a Comedy station has more in depth coverage of the issues than the actual news stations do, there is something wrong with the media.   

The fake newscasts like Trevor's, Sam B's and John O's, actually have more staff doing research, whereas the "actual" news probably has more makeup artists and hair stylists.  These shows are turning up in the Yahoo News Feed every week now.  

Piano falling kid was funny.   "It's a rental",  "My luggage" again, the "civic minded" thieves should get a medal. 

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, topanga said:

I wasn't sure, but was the guy saying that every Sept 11 Obama isn't at the White House? I thought that's what he meant, implying that Obama was out celebrating or something. And what was the thing about his wedding ring? I know the idea was that Muslims don't wear jewelry, so he takes it off on certain days (9/11?), but I'd never heard this conspiracy theory before. Of course I don't seek out those theories.

When Trevor pulled the licorice strand out of the bowl and said, "I'm going to go host the Daily Show," it made me giggle a lot.

• Love 2

I heard it the same way Topanga did.  Sometime in the last couple of weeks one of Trump's spokespeople implied during a CNN talking head segment that Obama was somehow responsible for 9/11.  Considering that polls have consistently showed that there are Republicans (especially in Louisiana) who think Obama was to blame for the mess after Katrina despite not having been in office then either, I don't consider it that far fetched.

The licorice in the African bowl made me laugh too as the gag got more and more ridiculous.

Edit to add:  The show just posted a gif on its Facebook page with the quote: "Barack Obama had a big part in 9/11. .. Not being around, always on vacation, never in the office."

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 4

It probably wouldn't have made any difference, based on the tunnel vision of these morons, but I really wanted Jordan to tell that idiot, 'You do know that Obama wasn't President when 9/11 happened, right?'

I mean, just look at that woman, who said, she had no proof, no facts, and no one and nothing would convince her that Obama wasn't a Muslim or a Terrorist.

While I find Will Smith charming, the same cannot be said of Jada. So that interview was just fast forward material for me.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

I really wish the people in Jordan's segment were paid actors. Scary and sad at the same time.

I keep thinking / wishing these segments are staged.  Now I'm hoping Ashton K pops out and tells us we've been punked.  Or I've inhaled too many fumes from cleaning products and am seriously tripping. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, atomationage said:

The fake newscasts like Trevor's, Sam B's and John O's, actually have more staff doing research, whereas the "actual" news probably has more makeup artists and hair stylists.  These shows are turning up in the Yahoo News Feed every week now.  

Piano falling kid was funny.   "It's a rental",  "My luggage" again, the "civic minded" thieves should get a medal. 

I liked that story, too. Funny but sad. The American kid said the bomb sounded like a piano falling, whereas a Syrian child would say it sounded like...a bomb. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I heard it the same way Topanga did.  Sometime in the last couple of weeks one of Trump's spokespeople implied during a CNN talking head segment that Obama was somehow responsible for 9/11.  Considering that polls have consistently showed that there are Republicans (especially in Louisiana) who think Obama was to blame for the mess after Katrina despite not having been in office then either, I don't consider it that far fetched.

The licorice in the African bowl made me laugh too as the gag got more and more ridiculous.

Edit to add:  The show just posted a gif on its Facebook page with the quote: "Barack Obama had a big part in 9/11. .. Not being around, always on vacation, never in the office."

Irony...the President in office at the time actually did take the most vacation days of any President.

The amazing thing is that these people who say they get their news from the internet, don't seem to find their way to other parts of the internet that completely discredit this BS.

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I've never watched Wendy Williams' show, and I didn't pay much attention to the interview here, but is she an important figure in culture? 

If you were a pop culture/tabloid junkie, you'd know who Wendy Williams is. She had a popular radio show in New York, and now she has a TV show that basically does the same thing that her radio show did: gossip about celebrities and their scandals. She also has in-person interviews with celebrities. She's not my favorite, but I had no idea she'd been on the air for eight years. Nice to see her being pleasantly surprised that she's been on the air this long. 

• Love 1

Trevor seemed to genuinely love her and her show, too. He seems to be for real watching the movies and tv shows, and reading the books, of the people who he interviews. But Wendy didn't seem to have anything in particular she was promoting, other than her general media empire. She said she had written seven books, and she talked about how worried she'd been about whether people would accept her persona, and how surprised she was to be on the air as long as she has been, but she spent most of her time doing stuff like giving Trevor advice about getting to bed early and not being taken advantage of by false friends-- and he talked about how he has a bunch of tvs with the news shows on with one tv with her daytime talk show in the middle, and how he wishes she'd take on "hard news" stories instead of just entertainment journalism because he luvs her so much.

I had never watched her show (I don't generally watch daytime talk tv), but it seemed to me like maybe Trevor has decided to do what he wants just in case Comedy Central pulls the plug like they did with Wilmore, and what he wanted clearly was to meet Wendy Williams. I didn't mind at all. I like to see people I am not used to seeing interviewed.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Trevor seemed to genuinely love her and her show, too. He seems to be for real watching the movies and tv shows, and reading the books, of the people who he interviews.

I get the exact opposite impression. I can't believe he has watched every show or movie of every guest he has on. He's just really good at faking it. IMO.

• Love 2

I'm from central Minnesota, and Islamaphobia is a huge problem out here.  When I first heard about the attack in St. Cloud on Saturday night, I had a "please don't be Muslim, please don't be Muslim!" reaction.  I loved Trevor's takedown of that bigoted ice cream shop owner (also?  The sentiment "I didn't mean get out of my ice cream shop, I meant get out of America!" doesn't make it better, dude.)  The speculation that racist signs might just be the result of inadequate space made me laugh, as well as imagining whether posting signs would actually keep terrorists away.

I don't know how Trevor keeps doing these stories on police shootings and bringing new insights to the same old ugliness/horror.  He's had to do so many of these now, and he always impresses me.  Here, I really liked his point about what happens to perception when police only interact with Black communities in the context of crime (tying it in with the previous story and only seeing Muslims in the context of terrorism.)  And I LOVED what he said about the phrase "all-Black high school."  I'd been anticipating a punch line about the officer's defense essentially being, "I mean, hey, she spent an evening surrounded by Black people at a football game and didn't shoot any of them!  A little credit, please?", and was bowled over in a good way by the direction Trevor went with it.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, angora said:

Here, I really liked his point about what happens to perception when police only interact with Black communities in the context of crime (tying it in with the previous story and only seeing Muslims in the context of terrorism.) 

I half-listened to Lisa Ling in tonight's ep, but I heard her say something about police being on foot patrol in communities. I've long thought that is a simple but effective way to help bridge the gap betw police and communities. The police get to know the residents. The residents get to know the police. Win win.

Wow. That Tomi person is incredibly annoying and awful.

49 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I half-listened to Lisa Ling in tonight's ep, but I heard her say something about police being on foot patrol in communities. I've long thought that is a simple but effective way to help bridge the gap betw police and communities. The police get to know the residents. The residents get to know the police. Win win.

Many different protest groups and talking heads have this on their list of suggested reforms. Unfortunately, I don't think the general public even knows that there is a list of suggested reforms.

Funny, I just stumbled across Tomi on Twitter for the first time yesterday. I expect to see her running for office sooner rather than later.

Or become the next dizzy blonde Fox News correspondent.

I had never heard about this Tomi before.  And I am on Facebook most every day.  Guess she has never been "recommended" to me.  So I have never seen any of her videos before.  And I would like to keep it that way.  :)

Still, it is scary she gets so many views.  Wow.  Just wow.

• Love 2

What a good interview with Lisa Ling. I really enjoyed their conversation and it motivates me to watch her show more often. It cleansed the palate after the segment on that abhorrent Tomi.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, brgjoe said:

I had never heard about this Tomi before.  And I am on Facebook most every day.  Guess she has never been "recommended" to me.  So I have never seen any of her videos before.  And I would like to keep it that way.  :)

And it bothered me how much Trevor gushed over her. Yes, he challenged some of her statements, but it was with the attitude of "Isn't this cute? Millions of people watch her Fox News-like videos. Isn't it amazing how passionate she is?" And then the final part of the segment, the fantasy where he brought her roses? Somehow, that didn't seem like a total joke or satire. It scares me that Trevor is so enamored by a woman who spews more hateful rhetoric than Donald Trump. To me, it sounds like he wasn't as appalled as he probably would have been about what was coming out of her mouth because it was attached to a blond, white face. A direct quote from Tomi "Please tell me in what way are black Americans not equal. I'm waiting." Really??? And Trevor didn't challenge or attack that? It's such a contrast to the hard-hitting way Trevor reports and talks about police brutality.    

2 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

If Mark Zuckerberg wants to get rid of all diseases, then he should start with that cancer he created, Facebook. Otherwise, we wouldn't have to be subjected to the extreme pain of a privileged moron with no life experience named Tomi Lahren.

Hee! But I do use Facebook--I like to think of it more as a vortex that sucks me in and convinces me to waste time reading about other people's lives. 

I'm impressed by Mark Zuckerberg's commitment to improving healthcare, and I admire his financial investment in this issue. But the phrase "cure all diseases" sounds naive and, well, stupid. Cure all diseases? And I'm not just talking about things like cancer, HIV, malaria, and other diseases that doctors and scientists  have been working to cure or treat for years. What about the hundreds of diseases with no known cause: lupus, vitiligo, polycystic ovarian syndrome, etc.? What about diseases like hemophilia and sickle cell anemia that are genetically inherited? And is he going to fix the lack of access to clean water, which is directly linked to almost all pediatric deaths in developing countries? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, topanga said:

And it bothered me how much Trevor gushed over her. Yes, he challenged some of her statements, but it was with the attitude of "Isn't this cute? Millions of people watch her Fox News-like videos. Isn't it amazing how passionate she is?" And then the final part of the segment, the fantasy where he brought her roses? Somehow, that didn't seem like a total joke or satire. It scares me that Trevor is so enamored by a woman who spews more hateful rhetoric than Donald Trump. To me, it sounds like he wasn't as appalled as he probably would have been about what was coming out of her mouth because it was attached to a blond, white face. A direct quote from Tomi "Please tell me in what way are black Americans not equal. I'm waiting." Really??? And Trevor didn't challenge or attack that? It's such a contrast to the hard-hitting way Trevor reports and talks about police brutality.  

I took his gushing as completely sarcastic, mocking people who really do gush all over her either for her message or for her looks and style. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox offered her a job. Nor would it surprise me if she considers these videos to be her audition tapes for the network.

• Love 7
On 9/21/2016 at 9:53 AM, needschocolate said:

I think the media can take at least some of the blame for this.  Too much time spent trying to be "hip" and "cool" and "trendy" - making their newcasts more like Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.  Reporters seem to concentrate on the "fluff" and when they do ask a a more "hard-hitting" question, they don't listen to the answer carefully and ask more questions (digging deeper), they just keep going down their list of questions.  

I honestly think that a big part of the problem is that the media, in general, didn't initially take Trump's run seriously.  It wasn't his first time throwing his hat in the ring, so they probably figured this was just going to be another instance of him saying he's running to get some attention and free promotion, and then dropping out.  So they weren't really covering him like a serious candidate, it was just all for humor.  Even the comedy people were treating it like that.  Remember Jon's unabashed glee when Trump announced he was running?  So the media ran with showing his ridiculous statements, because it was a case of "everyone's talking about the ridiculous thing he said, and we want to make sure we're drawing eyeballs and ratings from it, too."  There are probably about a handful of reporters who are truly willing to call him out.  The rest won't for various reasons.  His supporters have been known to harass and threaten reporters who run with a negative story on him, and networks are afraid of losing access to his campaign if they air anything he doesn't like.  And since his campaign is a ratings draw, they're not going to jeopardize their ratings by ticking him off.  And he's made sure to reinforce that idea.  So while the information is out there to find if you're looking for it, it's not being pushed prominently enough by the general media, so there's no reason for his supporters to see it or allow it to alter their beliefs.   

15 hours ago, brgjoe said:

I really think that a big part of her "appeal" is that it's a novelty to a lot of people to see this cute young girl saying this stuff.  If you pay attention to her performance, she's not even particularly good at this.  She has the same delivery and demeanor of your neighbor ranting about something.  But, she has that novelty and, since she is so young, she knows what topics will catch attention (even if it's negative attention) and be shared over and over again.  They say she gets millions of views, but I'd be willing to bet that there's a fairly even split among those watching it because they agree with her and those who are hate-watching it.  

11 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

If Mark Zuckerberg wants to get rid of all diseases, then he should start with that cancer he created, Facebook. Otherwise, we wouldn't have to be subjected to the extreme pain of a privileged moron with no life experience named Tomi Lahren.

I don't think we can blame Facebook for her.  She works for Beck's The Blaze.  

As for Trevor's segment on her, I think he was being sarcastic in his "love" for her.  And I think it was precisely because of what I was saying above - that the reason she garnered the high profile she has is because of the novelty of her being a cute young girl spewing so much anger and hate.  

• Love 5

I really think that a big part of her "appeal" is that it's a novelty to a lot of people to see this cute young girl saying this stuff.  If you pay attention to her performance, she's not even particularly good at this.  She has the same delivery and demeanor of your neighbor ranting about something.  But, she has that novelty and, since she is so young, she knows what topics will catch attention (even if it's negative attention) and be shared over and over again.  They say she gets millions of views, but I'd be willing to bet that there's a fairly even split among those watching it because they agree with her and those who are hate-watching it.

I think it's because of her youth and looks that she has a conservative fan base. They see her and think, "Wow, hot millennial chick says these things that I agree with so that it must be okay."  Because it comes out of a woman's mouth than it must be acceptable to think these things. She's like Trump, she takes the shame away. She's a young Ann Coulter that they can "relate" to and feel attracted to. Still she's a monster that people shouldn't enable or make famous.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

They say she gets millions of views, but I'd be willing to bet that there's a fairly even split among those watching it because they agree with her and those who are hate-watching it.  

And then there all all the people who watch it more than once.  a million views doesn't mean a million people watched and certainly doesn't mean that a milion people agree. Counting "likes" makes more sense than counting views.

I have wondered if it counts as a "view" if the video starts automatically..  Say one of your "friends" "likes" her video, which then puts it in your newsfeed and when you scroll past it, the video starts automatically.  The squirrel with the abacus tallying all the views doesn't know if the video is just playing or if someone is actually watching it.   

• Love 1
17 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

I honestly think that a big part of the problem is that the media, in general, didn't initially take Trump's run seriously.  It wasn't his first time throwing his hat in the ring, so they probably figured this was just going to be another instance of him saying he's running to get some attention and free promotion, and then dropping out.  So they weren't really covering him like a serious candidate, it was just all for humor.  Even the comedy people were treating it like that.  Remember Jon's unabashed glee when Trump announced he was running?  So the media ran with showing his ridiculous statements, because it was a case of "everyone's talking about the ridiculous thing he said, and we want to make sure we're drawing eyeballs and ratings from it, too."  There are probably about a handful of reporters who are truly willing to call him out.  The rest won't for various reasons.  His supporters have been known to harass and threaten reporters who run with a negative story on him, and networks are afraid of losing access to his campaign if they air anything he doesn't like.  And since his campaign is a ratings draw, they're not going to jeopardize their ratings by ticking him off.  And he's made sure to reinforce that idea.  So while the information is out there to find if you're looking for it, it's not being pushed prominently enough by the general media, so there's no reason for his supporters to see it or allow it to alter their beliefs.   

This has been a huge chunk of the problem in a nutshell.  Sure,  Jon was already packing up the office when Trump formally entered the race, but he treated it like a huge joke too.  As did everyone with that cheesy escalator entrance and paid supporters in the background.  The Republican primary debates had all the decorum of and were mostly treated by the press like an old school pro wrestling match with Macho Man Randy Savage ranting into the camera.  It's like nobody actually took seriously the notion that Trump was being presented as a legitimate major party candidate for the de facto leader of the free world or what that would mean if he were to actually win.  It seems like only now is it starting to dawn on some segment of the press and they're shocked shocked by the end result of a willfully ignorant electorate and a mostly mistrusted mainstream media.

Trevor has been periodically trying to sound the alarm on this, but with each new day of the Trump sideshow playing a new round of look at this, no this, no this, it's been like shouting into the wind.

I did like Trevor's comments about the effects of seeing confrontations between police and black people ending badly over and over.  It was worthy of Jon's mic drop about how if white people are tired of hearing about it black people are tired of living it.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Trevor has been periodically trying to sound the alarm on this, but with each new day of the Trump sideshow playing a new round of look at this, no this, no this, it's been like shouting into the wind.

This is one of the reasons I've been saying that Seth Meyers has become my favorite of the late night hosts.  He was the first, I believe, to truly sound the alarm, speaking directly to the camera about how "this isn't a joke, this is dangerous."  And he's managed to find a way to mostly maintain a level of "this is bad," while still being funny.  I respect that he and John Oliver are both deadly serious when they say "I don't want that guy on my show," and they act accordingly.  They don't try to treat him as some lovable scamp.  I feel like if TDS could get Trump on, they'd take him.  And Trevor would maybe try to get a couple meaningful questions in, but most of his commentary on whatever Trump said would be in the form of reaction faces and laughter.  I don't think he'd ruffle his hair, Jimmy, but I don't think he'd go hard, either.  

• Love 9

Bill Maher has been sounding the alarm since the race first started. I don't know if it's his personality, his age, or if Trevor's just too much of an outside from our political system to seem genuine with a lot of his commentary.

• Love 3

I bet that Tomi has never been poor, never been hungry, never had to choose whether to pay rent or the electric bill or buy food.  And certainly I doubt any cop has ever been rude to her, let alone pulled a gun on her or pulled over her car because she wasn't in the 'right' neighborhood. She lives in a bubble. How are blacks not equal, please bitch. 

• Love 12
On 9/24/2016 at 10:08 AM, needschocolate said:

I have wondered if it counts as a "view" if the video starts automatically..  Say one of your "friends" "likes" her video, which then puts it in your newsfeed and when you scroll past it, the video starts automatically.  The squirrel with the abacus tallying all the views doesn't know if the video is just playing or if someone is actually watching it.   

Hopefully this makes some of us feel better:  People Watch Facebook Videos Less Than Facebook Thought

• Love 3
6 hours ago, dusang said:

Hopefully this makes some of us feel better:  People Watch Facebook Videos Less Than Facebook Thought

It makes me feel better - or halfway better, anyway.  According to the article, Facebook counts any video that plays for three seconds as a view.  which means you need to be pretty fast on the pause button if you don't want it to count as a view.  

Youtube requires that video is played most of the way.

• Love 1

Best bits:  Lester Holt eating popcorn, "but you just complained",  you know who found a way around the rules, OJ, no one likes him, Drumpf playing monopoly, Drumpf's "little while", "I cheat", "I'm trying to save the money". "I need to build a wall in my mind",  Hillary "give me all the words, words, words, words",  the sniffing compilation.  "he was probably sniffing all the bull shit he was saying".

At least he mentioned false equivalency.

I finally watched some of the Tomi Lauren crap.  She's the result of what Faux news and their ilk have been broadcasting for most of her life, so she's more popular than a video of a turtle having sex with a shoe. 

Edited by atomationage
more
  • Love 1

Hillary puts in a polished professional presidential performance and TDS has to force itself to find something to criticize her for and got it all wrong. Her statement that murders had gone down in NYC after stop and frisk was ended was absolutely true. I wasn't particularly impressed with the rest of the show either. There was so much content in Trump's performance that was just ripe for picking for comedy writers and they missed the point on most of it. Pffft.

• Love 5

I always enjoy Desi's "What the actual fact" segments. And the one she did on the debates did not disappoint. But introduced the segment by stating that both candidates made wrong statements. Just for the sake of transparency, I wish she would have also presented something Hillary said that was wrong. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, topanga said:

I always enjoy Desi's "What the actual fact" segments. And the one she did on the debates did not disappoint. But introduced the segment by stating that both candidates made wrong statements. Just for the sake of transparency, I wish she would have also presented something Hillary said that was wrong. 

I think they were trying to accurately portray the ratio of false statements between the two candidates...and didn't hit enough Trump ones to get to one of Hillary's.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, topanga said:

But there was nothing she could have presented. The official fact checkers didn't find any for Hillary either.  CNN reeeeeally stretched to find one for her and all they could come up with was a statement that they rated as 'true' but Trump called her wrong and said something else and they rated his rebuttal as 'true' too.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, shok said:

But there was nothing she could have presented. The official fact checkers didn't find any for Hillary either.  CNN reeeeeally stretched to find one for her and all they could come up with was a statement that they rated as 'true' but Trump called her wrong and said something else and they rated his rebuttal as 'true' too.

Oh. So why did Desi say that they'd both gotten some things wrong? 

I don't think Desi mentioned it, but Hillary's false moment was Trump saying that Hillary calling NAFTA the "gold standard" and she said she didn't, but that she hoped it would be good - but she had actually used the term "Gold Standard" to describe it.  PErhaps it was initially in the segment, but was cut.  

I am glad Trevor mentioned how Trump is taking on the characteristics that he had accused his opponents of, but I think they got it a bit backwards.  Trump accuses people of "crimes" or call them names that could be applied to him. It is a farily common tactic of bullies - this way, those accusations or names can't be appleid to the bully without making the other person look like they are defensive or copying.  For instance, Trump accused HC of doing/saying things just to attract the minority vote and that she doesn't actually care about them.  But Trumps suddenly "reaching out" to minorities was so tranparently pandering for votes, but now HC can't really come out and say he was just trying to get votes.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, needschocolate said:

Trump accuses people of "crimes" or call them names that could be applied to him. It is a farily common tactic of bullies - this way, those accusations or names can't be appleid to the bully without making the other person look like they are defensive or copying.  For instance, Trump accused HC of doing/saying things just to attract the minority vote and that she doesn't actually care about them.  But Trumps suddenly "reaching out" to minorities was so tranparently pandering for votes, but now HC can't really come out and say he was just trying to get votes.

I love how Trump accused Hillary of fraud with her foundation, when in fact its Trump own foundation that is fraudulent.

Donald just doesn't realize that because he craved the spotlight and TV so much for decades, there's a wealth of his sexist, racist, misogynist statements all over the internet.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, topanga said:

Oh. So why did Desi say that they'd both gotten some things wrong? 

It could have been the first statement from Hillary "It is a pleasure to be here with you Donald".  (Forgot who said it first.  Apologies to forgetting, but I am claiming no credit).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I love how Trump accused Hillary of fraud with her foundation, when in fact its Trump own foundation that is fraudulent.

Donald just doesn't realize that because he craved the spotlight and TV so much for decades, there's a wealth of his sexist, racist, misogynist statements all over the internet.

That is something no one has bothered hitting him on, exactly how much has he given to his own namesake foundation?  No one asked him about using Foundation funds to pay off the Trump golf course lawsuit, or the pictures that are used on private premises that were bought using Foundation funds.  Seriously, these are all facts that are way worse than anything Clinton related.  This isn't even counting the "accidental" contribution to Bondi's political campaign.  Seriously the Trump Foundation is as shady as the Trump University scam.  I would like to see exactly how many big name contributors there are to the Trump Foundation, that would give you an idea how real-world legitimate the Foundation is because millionaires and billionaires are generally looking for tax deductions to give money to, and if no one is giving the Foundation money, that would be pretty telling. 

• Love 2