Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

The show is growing on me. I preferred Colbert to Stewart around the end. It just seemed like The Daily Show was rushed and to some degree I feel the same about it now with Trevor. But I'm growing to like his style of delivering the news, though sometimes the jokes fall flat. I get it. You're from South Africa. The "What the Actual Fact" segments are still a little weird for me because I can't stop seeing her as her character from Awkward. The rest of the team has their moments but I don't think they have the confidence yet. So far Jordan seems to do the best job of pulling off the bravado required for those ironic segments but I like Ronny and Hasan as well. I'm sad Jessica left. I think covering the election has allowed the show to really find its footing.

If I have nothing to do, I'll watch the interview segments but it rarely pans out well because again, the show feels really short. Maybe they need to prep people more? To a much lesser degree, it's a similar feeling I got to watching Larry Wilmore's show where it seemed like they were warming up to a topic but didn't get to actually talk through anything. The celebrity interviews seem to be the weakest for me. At least with the academics or journalists, they tend to have talking points. Trevor seems to just let people promote what they're there to promote without the silliness of the usual late night hosts. Maybe that'll come when he's more comfortable. I'm sure other hosts can get away with more because people come on the show admiring them and wanting to riff with them.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I'm  glad Roy and Jordan gave the people free lunches. I cringe watching that segment and was relieved no one got verbally violent with them. The three black men did have me laughing. 

It was interesting to see the reaction of people who had never experienced any kind of discrimination before. You could practically see their brains forming new pathways.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, marceline said:

It was interesting to see the reaction of people who had never experienced any kind of discrimination before. You could practically see their brains forming new pathways.

True. But unless these people never watch television or have Face Book or social media, how they didn't recognize Roy or Jordan had me rolling my eyes just a bit.

I apologize to anyone who digs that music, but that first song would get me to admit to anything if I were ever being tortured. There was nothing there my ear found pleasing, except maybe when there was no singing.

I'm also glad they showed us the outcome of the discrimination bit because sometimes you're left wondering if people were ever told the truth about what was happening. It would have been interesting to have done that at a rally or something where supports of these types of things were and see if that made any light bulbs go off in their heads (except, probably not. Confirmation bias is strong! (If that's the right bias).

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

True. But unless these people never watch television or have Face Book or social media, how they didn't recognize Roy or Jordan had me rolling my eyes just a bit.

Well Roy and Jordan aren't household names like Brad and Angelina and they were in North Carolina and not NYC where they would more likely be recognized.

That said, one of the black men assume Roy was joking so he might have recognized him. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BookThief said:

I apologize to anyone who digs that music, but that first song would get me to admit to anything if I were ever being tortured. There was nothing there my ear found pleasing, except maybe when there was no singing.

I'm also glad they showed us the outcome of the discrimination bit because sometimes you're left wondering if people were ever told the truth about what was happening. It would have been interesting to have done that at a rally or something where supports of these types of things were and see if that made any light bulbs go off in their heads (except, probably not. Confirmation bias is strong! (If that's the right bias).

Never base anything off of TV performances. Acoustics and sound guys who rarely work with live musical performances always screw it up. Case in point, last night the vocals were way to low in the mix and weren't too clear at all. Honestly if you find the music interesting even the slightest just Spotify the artist and listen to studio versions where they would be perfect.

6 hours ago, marceline said:

They should have followed up by saying "Just go eat at the eatery down the street."

Does the North Carolina law state that it is okay to refuse service to gay people specifically or does it just say it is okay to refuse service to anyone you want to refuse it to?  If it is the latter, I think it would have been interesting if they refused to sell to people based on things people had no control over - "Sorry sir, but you are left handed.  We don't serve lefties." "My you have pretty blue eyes.  But we don't serve blue eyed people.  It's the Devil's eye color."  "What church do you go to?...Oh, we don't serve Baptists."

• Love 4

It's also important to remember that the average person wouldn't necessarily recognize public figures/celebrities if they weren't expecting to see them.  Without a context, it's easy to miss that the person you're looking at/talking to is famous in some capacity.  I agree that the one guy in the back probably recognized Roy and/or Jordan, or at least realized they were making a point, and that's why he was laughing.  Everyone else we saw could have been major Daily Show fans but, without the context of the show, wouldn't have made the connection.  So that made sense to me.  I am glad they got the food.  It looked good.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It's also important to remember that the average person wouldn't necessarily recognize public figures/celebrities if they weren't expecting to see them.  Without a context, it's easy to miss that the person you're looking at/talking to is famous in some capacity.  I agree that the one guy in the back probably recognized Roy and/or Jordan, or at least realized they were making a point, and that's why he was laughing.  Everyone else we saw could have been major Daily Show fans but, without the context of the show, wouldn't have made the connection.  So that made sense to me.  I am glad they got the food.  It looked good.

One advantage of the show's current lower ratings and profile is that it's easier to do this kind of remote. But yes I watch the show on a semi-regular basis, have social media, etc. and I wouldn't necessarily recognize Roy out of context and in costume. Maybe not Jordan Klepper either. I love his work, but wasn't one of the jokes when he started that he was a fairly generic white guy? I probably would have recognized them because they were together, but I can't say that I'd expect the average person on the street to. Especially the kind of person that would react the way they wanted to and make it on air.

• Love 1

I mean, once you're on TV, you're high profile to some degree but still far from being recognizable to most people who don't watch the show you're on. I also think there are certain people who agree to do little interviews for news crews or TV shows (I mean for something on MTV or something more casual) and they might not be as savvy.