Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Trevor totally slammed it with the differences between Hillary Clinton and Cheeto Drumph, as well as Drumph's blowjob to Russia, as was shown with his bullshit comments about Russia co-ordinating the Wikileaks email dump. Trevor made the differences starkly clear, and voters need to wake the fuck up about what America and the world faces.

Someone who takes the office of the presidency seriously would not say something like that and the fact that he doesn't realize that's not something he should have said, says everything you need to know.

When people say Clinton "is just as bad", I would show this video. 

I tend to lean to Trump being sarcastic about the email hacking, but the fundamental point is, as a presidential candidate, you need to realize there's some things you can't say. And if you're not grasping this concept at this stage of the election, then you're an idiot. It's also stupid because you could have taken a legit shot at the DNC and Clinton. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, ganesh said:

When people say Clinton "is just as bad", I would show this video. 

I tend to lean to Trump being sarcastic about the email hacking, but the fundamental point is, as a presidential candidate, you need to realize there's some things you can't say. And if you're not grasping this concept at this stage of the election, then you're an idiot. It's also stupid because you could have taken a legit shot at the DNC and Clinton. 

Yes, and I loved Trevor prefacing the video by describing Trump as a toddler who acts out to get attention from his parents. Hilarious and accurate. 

I'm sorry to comment on a woman's appearance, but was something going on with Senator Gillibrand's neck? At first I thought she was wearing a pink shirt under her jacket, but when I looked closer, it seemed like that was her actual skin with a really bad sunburn. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow Trevor Noah was on FIRE last night. The passion, the indignation, the breakdowns and takedowns. He saw the insanity and stupidity of even considering Trump a "credible" candidate and wanted to verbally shake people to wake up.

I loved when they showed Trump's campaign manager try to spin as hard as he could. And now we know his "tell" whenever he's lying or trying to cover up a lie, just wait for him to say "absurd." Using that word just reeks of false indignation.

Edited by redfish
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, pivot said:

7 minutes ago, redfish said:

Wow Trevor Noah was on FIRE last night. The passion, the indignation, the breakdowns and takedowns. He saw the insanity and stupidity of even considering Trump a "credible" candidate and wanted to verbally shake people to wake up.

I loved when they showed Trump's campaign manager try to spin as hard as he could. And now we know his "tell" whenever he's lying or trying to cover up a lie, just wait for him to say "absurd." Using that word just reeks of false indignation.

Surprised they didn't point out that the campaign manager was an "adviser" to the pro-Russian Ukranian President that was ousted, which spurred the recent Russian annexation actions.  You don't even need to go 6 degrees to connect Trump to Putin. 

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
  • Love 4

I like Trevor not disguising his contempt. Problem is, he's fucking with the DVR. Now I gotta watch @Midnight "On Demand" because TDS went long. I'm okay with getting 40 minutes of "The Snuke" from South Park tonight because I'm expecting it. Couldn't the entirety of Trevor's (justified) rant have been edited and displayed in full on the website?

ETA: "The Snuke" is a fun episode from 2008. Sweet 24 parody with Hillary's ever-changing accent and Cartman's casual racism. Makes a nice companion to the ep shown last week, "Where My Country Gone."

ETA2: Comedy Central ran "Douche vs. Turd" from 2004. "Vote or die, motherfucker! Motherfucker, vote or die!" In the future, I'd rather TDS be scheduled for 11:30 and the other stuff getting pushed back if the show hinges on live stuff. The video with Desi narrating was nice, but it paled to the one on Trump from last week. Trevor has stepped his game up

• Love 5
On July 28, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Xantar said:

I'm sorry to comment on a woman's appearance, but was something going on with Senator Gillibrand's neck? At first I thought she was wearing a pink shirt under her jacket, but when I looked closer, it seemed like that was her actual skin with a really bad sunburn. 

I was wondering the same thing. It looked like a vicious sunburn. 

3 hours ago, lordonia said:

Loved the DNC/Rocky I, II, III, IV segment!

What happened to Michelle Wolf? Did she do any correspondent pieces this week?

She was part of the "Bad, Good, and Ugly" segment on Tuesday (?) night.

Yes, the Rocky segments were great. 

And I liked Ronny Chang's segment when he got into it with the Water Ice guy. It reminded me of when I first moved to Philadelphia and saw "Water Ice" signs everywhere. I thought the same thing, "Why are they advertising ice water?"

• Love 4
1 minute ago, topanga said:

And I liked Ronny Chang's segment when he got into it with the Water Ice guy. It reminded me of when I first moved to Philadelphia and saw "Water Ice" signs everywhere. I thought the same thing, "Why are they advertising ice water?"

I mean ... there was a camera crew there so everyone had to realize what was going on, but the Water Ice guy was playing it so straight I believed he was truly pissed! The two employees in the background weren't laughing, either.

• Love 3

I didn't think for a second that the water ice guy was actually acting. I could totally see that happening for real. 

This is how it comes. You get what I give you!

• Love 2

It's better than just a slushie. In Rhode Island, it's called "Del's" which is the company, and they only made frozen lemonade but there's versions of along the eastern seaboard. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, marceline said:

"Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"You would answer your own door, you broke ass bitch!"

That was everything for me. I'm here for the Billionaire Rap Battle. 

Yeah, I loved all of that.  I also liked Obama's edge-of-sanity nervous laughter at the thought of a Trump presidency and Tim Kaine being a Black person's impression of a white guy.

The correspondents debating which Rocky movie best represented Hillary's journey was fun, too (yep - totally Rocky IV.)

• Love 5
(edited)

I didn't think for a second that the water ice guy was actually acting. I could totally see that happening for real. 

This is how it comes. You get what I give you!

When I saw that argument I thought for a moment the characters from It's Sunny In Philadelphia was going to show up.

Surprised they didn't point out that the campaign manager was an "adviser" to the pro-Russian Ukranian President that was ousted, which spurred the recent Russian annexation actions.  You don't even need to go 6 degrees to connect Trump to Putin. 

I think they did in a episode when they talked about a literal rogue's gallery of Trump campaign workers  and their shady background credentials from men like Corey Lewandowski to a man who worked with Russian groups and his former job was to "improve" known dictators their image. I also think one of his former caddys is also a campaign manage in the media dept? It was horrifying the kind of men Trump had hired for his campaign.

Edited by redfish
29 minutes ago, redfish said:

When I saw that argument I thought for a moment the characters from It's Sunny In Philadelphia was going to show up.

The place would have probably burnt down. 

• Love 1

Heh. Elsewhere, I wondered if there's going to be a DNC-based episode of IASIP. Possibly with Dennis seeking to bang Hillary.

On-Topic: Is anybody keeping track of the nicknames that Trevor has given to you-know-who? Larry beat him to "Cinnamon Hitler," but I might not be remembering correctly.

I've been a bit divided on Trevor as he's been settling in on TDS, but honestly, he's absolutely been killing it throughout this utterly surreal political season.

And his latest blistering monologue on the real, intrinsic difference between Trump and Hillary as candidates was just one of the best critiques I've seen of Trump as a candidate, and honestly one of the scariest things I've seen, because his anger, bewilderment and real fear were so visceral.

When Trevor said:

"[Putin, Jong-Un, Hussein], these are his role models. And these people, you have to understand, once they are in power, they don't go away. You don't get the chance to vote them out in four years. Their rule ends when the country ends.

"So to all the people out there considering voting for Trump, I hope you enjoy your vote. Because on days like this, you realize -- this could be the very last vote you will ever get."

I got actual chills. I still do when rewatching.

I was just sorry he segued so abruptly at the end to "we'll be right back," and commercial, somewhat softening the impact.

Because if they hadn't, I like to think we could have heard a pin drop for the briefest of moments in that studio, and a collective gasp from the audience. He went from humor to utterly pitch-dark truth in an instant, and it was a thing of terror and beauty.

The guy is just swinging for the fences, and he's totally made me a convert. Kudos.

• Love 11

I've loved TDS over the past two weeks. Trevor and team have been in fine form.

Regarding the water ice segment, I laughed the hardest when the water ice guy asked Ronny what flavor he wanted and he replied with "wet!".

• Love 5

I still don't like the interview segments, but Trevor has been fantastic lately in the desk parts.

I think the guy in the water ice piece was acting angry. You could see the other two workers in the background smiling or laughing, plus there's a camera crew there, so I think the guy was just a real good actor.

• Love 5

Probably, but the thing is, that's not a far fetched scene for that part of the country. What made it funny to me was that it was so believable. I didn't think, oh wait, that was staged until the end. IRL, Ronny would probably have been bounced out on his ass after 2 minutes. 

• Love 1

I didn't even get that the guy was angry. He just seemed animated, to me. I think it's a cultural thing; not everyone is upset just because they have a lot of energy in their expression.

It's like how in some places bargaining over a price is rude, and other places, it's part of the process.

I took it as a good-natured verbal wrestling match, not an actual fight.

• Love 2

I've been loving the work that Trevor has done the past two weeks. He's finally starting to feel more comfortable commenting on the craziness of America's political process. Once he started to get comfortable with that and learned enough about it to have something of substance to say, he's been on fire.

• Love 9

And his latest blistering monologue on the real, intrinsic difference between Trump and Hillary as candidates was just one of the best critiques I've seen of Trump as a candidate, and honestly one of the scariest things I've seen, because his anger, bewilderment and real fear were so visceral.

Totally. When he said that I knew this wasn't just for a joke to be thrown away. He was talking from the heart. He had seen it before and if the U. S. wasn't careful they could end that way.

• Love 5
On 7/31/2016 at 1:09 PM, possibilities said:

I took it as a good-natured verbal wrestling match, not an actual fight.

It would not surprise me if the WI guy was simply reenacting for the cameras actual customer interactions he's had every day. So he was sincere, just not with Ronnie.

• Love 1

I have to defend the "drinking in a garage."  There is a bar called Garage across the street from Geno's cheesesteak shop that is in a converted auto-body shop, and they've kept a lot of the original signage.  Compare the 2014 Google street view with how it looked before--it's almost incognito as a bar: Garage. 

Edited by One Imaginary Girl
should mention its name
  • Love 2

Agree wholeheartedly with Trevor about the possibility of the election being rigged. Just not the way Drumph claimed it to be. But then, Drumph has his head so far up his own ass and into his lower intestine that he wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

So much respect for John Lewis.

• Love 6

I loved Trevor's reaction to Trump saying "titties." Was he trying to say "kitties" and made a mistake? Oh, and Trevor still managed to turn his comments back to Trump's confusing economic policy. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Agree wholeheartedly with Trevor about the possibility of the election being rigged. Just not the way Drumph claimed it to be. But then, Drumph has his head so far up his own ass and into his lower intestine that he wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I really liked that story.  The bit about how, the one time Black people show up early, it's made illegal, was great, and I liked Trevor's remark that in Africa, they at least have the decency to call election-tampering corruption.

Has anyone read John Lewis's graphic memoirs?  They look pretty cool.

"The White House and the CDC says, 'We need $1.9 billion,' and Congress says, 'We'll give you half'?  It's a disease, not a garage sale!" was an awesome line.  So much hate for Marco Rubio, though.  The thing that really makes me mad is that, despite variously state laws trying to limit their access to it, women have the right to abortion without qualifiers as to WHY.  What's he proposing, a law that says women can have abortions UNLESS Zika is involved?  It feels like he's saying something inflammatory solely to keep his name in the press, and that pisses me off.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think he meant to say 'cities.'

Apparently, there was an error with the sound feed, and Trump really did say "cities." But why does Trump think a mistake like this is unimaginable? Didn't he once make a glaring error when talking about 9/11? And he never noticed it, which is what made "titties" so plausible. 

1 hour ago, angora said:

I really liked that story.  The bit about how, the one time Black people show up early, it's made illegal, was great, and I liked Trevor's remark that in Africa, they at least have the decency to call election-tampering corruption.

"The White House and the CDC says, 'We need $1.9 billion,' and Congress says, 'We'll give you half'?  It's a disease, not a garage sale!" was an awesome line.  So much hate for Marco Rubio, though.  The thing that really makes me mad is that, despite variously state laws trying to limit their access to it, women have the right to abortion without qualifiers as to WHY.  What's he proposing, a law that says women can have abortions UNLESS Zika is involved?  It feels like he's saying something inflammatory solely to keep his name in the press, and that pisses me off.

Trevor--and the writing staff--have really been on their game since the conventions.

8 hours ago, angora said:

I wonder if he is trying to carve out an exception out of the abortion cases in the event of danger to mother and/or child? 

6 hours ago, topanga said:

Apparently, there was an error with the sound feed, and Trump really did say "cities." But why does Trump think a mistake like this is unimaginable? Didn't he once make a glaring error when talking about 9/11? And he never noticed it, which is what made "titties" so plausible. 

Yeah, it would be nothing like completely ignoring the word "it" that comes right after "short-circuited".

• Love 1
20 hours ago, topanga said:

"The White House and the CDC says, 'We need $1.9 billion,' and Congress says, 'We'll give you half'?  It's a disease, not a garage sale!" was an awesome line.

I was at a speech from the chair of one of the house appropriations committees, and he said, "The House passed a bill. I'm not sure what the Senate is going because we want to make sure we take care of zika." Well, yes, and I get it's a negotiation, but the house bill was next to nothing compared to what was asked. It was symbolic at best.

Re: Trump from Wednesday. I actually don't think he was insinuating anyone shoot Clinton. But joking or not, Trevor is correct. It's irrelevant. If you don't know, as a presidential candidate that both your words are going to be super scrutinized and you have to be careful of what you say, then you're just being stupid. 

All those people jumping through hoops to justify him just made it worse. "Hey, he made a bad joke. Shouldn't have said it. He should just apologize and we move on." Turning it on the media and all that is just petulant. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Re: Trump from Wednesday. I actually don't think he was insinuating anyone shoot Clinton. But joking or not, Trevor is correct. It's irrelevant. If you don't know, as a presidential candidate that both your words are going to be super scrutinized and you have to be careful of what you say, then you're just being stupid. 

All those people jumping through hoops to justify him just made it worse. "Hey, he made a bad joke. Shouldn't have said it. He should just apologize and we move on." Turning it on the media and all that is just petulant. 

I liked Trevor's analogy that if Trump were president and "joked" about nuking other countries, as he has done, foreign leaders might be like, "Is he joking? Is he serious? Well, to be on the safe side..." And that's one way a military conflict could begin. 

Yes, the Olympic commentary is annoying. But I did like the segment where various politicians defended Trump's words. And Guliani laughed and said that if Trump had told his supporters to shoot Clinton, the crowd would've gone wild.  Why is that funny? Why is that a "what if" scenario for a Presidential candidate? SMDH. 

I haven't seen the interview yet. Will watch it tonight.

• Love 4

My impression was "horrific joke that has no place in a presidential campaign."  I thought the show's coverage of the story was really good.  I too liked the point about how important it is for a president's words to be clear (both for their own people and the leaders of other nations, as in the "Wait - is he nuking us?" example.)  And especially, the idea that, regardless of whether or not he's joking, he has supporters who aren't.  That montage of people spewing hate at Trump rallies was chilling, and the tie between Trump encouraging violence against protesters and the violence that's since occurred at his rallies was a very apt comparison to include.

Agree with Roy and Jordan that "Hey, if he really wanted someone to shoot her, he would have just said so," and "If that's what he meant, the crowd would've cheered the house down," are terrible defenses to be making for your presidential candidate and their voter base.  However, I don't think Guliani's assertion that Trump would have been more blatant if he'd been talking about shooting her (rather than using their "powerful vote" against her) is right.  After all, Trump knows how to be cagey, especially when he's talking about someone in a position of power instead of marginalized groups.  He didn't come out and say that Obama was a secret Muslim/had ties to ISIS after the Orlando shooting, but he sure implied it with his "...Or else there's something going on, a lot of people, that's what they're saying, and, you know, they just can't believe it!" routine.  He can be coy when he wants to.

• Love 3

Actually, President Ronald Reagan did joke about nuking Russia (coincidentally exactly 32 years ago today). During a radio voice test he said "I've signed legislation that would outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes".  The Soviet army went on alert briefly when they heard about it.  I remember a lot of people were pretty upset, but nothing really came of it.  

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, angora said:

He didn't come out and say that Obama was a secret Muslim/had ties to ISIS after the Orlando shooting, but he sure implied it with his "...Or else there's something going on, a lot of people, that's what they're saying, and, you know, they just can't believe it!" routine.  He can be coy when he wants to.

Trump did say that Obama is the founder of IS. He dropped the coy part on this one. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, angora said:

Agree with Roy and Jordan that "Hey, if he really wanted someone to shoot her, he would have just said so,"

But this goes contrary to how Trump always treats things he knows he shouldn't say -- he gets to the point obliquely. There was a guest on Chris Hayes last night that spelled this out. Like when he wanted to call Ted Cruz a prick, he encouraged an audience member to say it, and then grinning told them it was awful and demanded they say it again. So his "maybe [2nd Amendment people] have a solution, I don't know" is exactly how he rolls. He thought himself funny for implying Hillary should be shot without saying so.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ALenore said:

Actually, President Ronald Reagan did joke about nuking Russia (coincidentally exactly 32 years ago today). During a radio voice test he said "I've signed legislation that would outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes".  The Soviet army went on alert briefly when they heard about it.  I remember a lot of people were pretty upset, but nothing really came of it.  

I think nothing really came of it because it was said during a sound check.  He never said it (nor do I think he would've done) during a speech.

39 minutes ago, attica said:

But this goes contrary to how Trump always treats things he knows he shouldn't say -- he gets to the point obliquely. There was a guest on Chris Hayes last night that spelled this out. Like when he wanted to call Ted Cruz a prick, he encouraged an audience member to say it, and then grinning told them it was awful and demanded they say it again. So his "maybe [2nd Amendment people] have a solution, I don't know" is exactly how he rolls. He thought himself funny for implying Hillary should be shot without saying so.

Then there's the other conundrum: "I like him because he tells it like it is and says what he means" =v= "Oh, he didn't really mean that..."

• Love 6

I think nothing really came of it because it was said during a sound check.  He never said it (nor do I think he would've done) during a speech.

I don't think Reagan would have said this during a speech, he was much more scripted than Trump, but it did make people feel somewhat uneasy, joking about nuclear annihilation.  He did of course, go on to win reelection in a landslide.  

1 hour ago, attica said:

Exactly, and I brought that up in the rest of my post (ie, Trump suggesting that there's "something going on" with Obama after the Orlando shooting, leaving people to infer he's hinting at an ISIS connection without out-and-out saying it.)  There's no doubt Trump can be blunt, but he can also be super-cagey, too.  They're both weapons in his arsenal.  Like I said, Guliani's "if that's what he meant, he would've said it outright" defense doesn't tell the full truth of how Trump operates.  But even if it did, saying that your presidential candidate would be overt about it if he wanted someone to assassinate his rival is nothing to celebrate.  It's a dumb defense no matter what - it just so happens to also be untrue.

There's a meme going around (started by someone on Reddit) that says the reason Trump doesn't want to release his tax returns is that they will show he has donated millions of dollars to NAMBLA.  There are several versions, but basically they run the formula of "I don't know if it's true, but I've heard a lot of people saying that ...".   I love this because it's the exact way Trump loves to get rumors out.  "I've heard a lot of people say ..."  Apparently someone created a bot that replaces all instance of "Trump income taxes" with the statement about NAMBLA. 

• Love 2

I'm certain he was doing one of his stupid jokes. As Trevor pointed out, he does it all the time. The explanation that the Trump camp gave is ridiculous. Trump said that if Hillary is elected, she'll appoint judges, and there's nothing you can do about it, which means, in his scenario, that she has been elected. Then he adds the thing about 2nd Amendment people. It's too late for them to "unify" and vote. She's President and appointing judges, so what are the 2nd Amendment people gonna do? That's his "joke."

I read a couple of interesting articles today about this. Here's one: Trump's Assassination Dog Whistle Was Even Scarier Than You Think. And here's another that I particularly liked: Anyone who thinks Trump was "just joking" about shooting Clinton was missing the point. This article is about how jokes "serve a function of normalizing that unacceptable thing, of telling the people who agree with you that, yes, this is an okay thing to talk about." Humor performs a social function. It serves to assimilate or alienate groups AND ideas, like racists jokes... or killing an opponent.

• Love 3

They've supposedly stopped Drumpf from tweeting.  Savvy newspapers have figured out Drumpf's campaign.  It's pretty simply.  He outrages, makes headlines, then denies he really meant it, then he outrages, makes headlines, and then denies, lather, rinse, repeat, over and over again. 

• Love 1