Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season One All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Also, the mustache brought back fond memories of Esteban.  

"CHICAS!" I miss Esteban.

The Daniel Craig interview was better than I thought it'd be. For some reason I was afraid he would be a stiff. And then the skit was a lot of fun. It reminded me of something Carson would do.

The math prof kind of bugged me at first, and yet I liked how she and Stephen meshed. Each one responded to the other, and that's always a good thing in my book.

I like Elizabeth Gilbert, though I haven't read any of her books. I was hoping for a bedtime story from her, but I guess that would be too soon after John Irving.

Rather enjoyed the deep thoughts thing with Stephen and Bryan, but the rest of the episode was kind of forgettable.  Didn't care about the lager thing because I don't drink.  It does seem weird that they would change the recipe after more than 250 years.

Also, I had fun with Daniel Craig's  James Bond Car Rental Skit with Mr. Colbert in the cheesy stache and Mr. Craig cracking up with pulling Mr. Colbert over the counter!

I think at one point Daniel was making mock kissy faces to Stephen which made him suppress his laughter even more. He was one of those who turned out to be a better SNL host than you would think on paper even though the writing failed him (like most of their shows these days.) 

I can't warm up to Batiste either, but maybe part of that is Stephen. I was really put off by the NO segment. First SC's awkwardness around Batiste--you'd think he'd be over that already, wouldn't you?  If it's just for the cameras, it makes Stephen look like kind of a jerk.

In the "Is Colbert a bit of a jerk or is he just a really nice guy occasionally playing a jerk?" the NO segment had me voting for the former. First, back in the day, JB says he'd like to work together but would like Stephen to come to NO first and "see my city and meet my family". This guy IS in his twenties, after all, I thought that was kind of nice.  So Stephen says, "Yes, if I can bring the cameras." Eh.

So they got their bit for the show (apparently one of many bits to come) about the visit. During which Stephen seemed awkward ALL of the time for no reason. (Comedy? No.)  He's in New Orleans, for Pete's sake, and he's wasting All. That. Time. learning to "hang" or whatever with Jon against a street light.  As in, "Give me some of those 'cool black dude' lessons. Am I doing this right? How about this?" It was just so fake and condescending. How about actually having fun (finding the humor if you can) doing things JB likes, giving viewers a better idea of who this guy is, what he loves about this place, where he plays, okay, I know they don't want a documentary, but a little light-hearted but genuine shared experience with JB & SC in New Orleans could be fun.   

I thought the point was going to be to get us to like Batiste better and maybe learn a little something about NO through his eyes, hear him play, maybe do some of the street musician stuff with Stephen that he does on Youtube. Let him play the melodica with them (it's so easy). Something. Not "hanging" on a street light. But it really seemed all about Stephen and whenever things go there, the show goes downhill.

When Anthony Bourdain was on, it was obvious that Stephen had never seen any of his shows. He really should watch a few. Maybe it would inspire him to do some re-editing before he goes to "NO, Episode 2". Bourdain often has his "fixers" (the experts on the place he's in) be his friends or even someone to play off of at times for a bit of humor. Yet, he still tells a story, shows people and a place, and you still get something out of it.  "Stephen Colbert in New Orleans with Jon Batiste" was just a colossal (unfunny and I thought condescending) waste of time. 

On a more positive side, I did enjoy the "deep thoughts with Bryan Cranston" and it was the first I've heard of "Trumbo" which--although reviews seem like the usual case where a biopic decides to omit some of the most dramatic and interesting real life incidents--still sounds worthwhile and interesting. So...still moments to the show, if you're patient. But not like before.. RIP, Colbert Report.  It was a great run.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

True, and NO is hard to ruin. I don't understand the lack of chemistry between them. Jon has shown he can be at ease. He never seemed awkward the times he was on Treme. I hope this gets better. I don't want to find out Stephen's a jerk.

• Love 2

As much as Stephen says he wants to reflect his real persona, I still don't see it.  Too much of his talk show training happened during the "Colbert" years that I think it will take a long time to separate the two Stephen's.  His best interviews so far have been Biden and Kimmel, two people who are real friends of Colbert.  I also think it's interesting that most of the warm, nice guy stories seem to start with his wife or Jon Stewart.  It's not a stretch to think he has a different relationship with them then the rest of the world.

The NOLA skit was really bad.  I think part of the awkwardness came from Stephen acting like a serious jerk to Jon shortly after they met (if the filming timeline wasn't fudged).  I don't think Jon was expecting that especially if Stephen is that different in "real" life and they previously had quality interactions off camera.  It would be hard to have a boss that was truly two-faced if you aren't used to that.  The bit reminded me of the personality test skit that Stephen did in his first few weeks.  It seemed like he was being rude to the proctor just because he could.  It wasn't funny.

• Love 1

I liked the NOLA segment. Of course Stephen would want to bring a camera crew because he figured it could be a good segment for the show. I enjoyed the 'hang' stuff. I thought they both meshed well in that. I'm looking forward to more NOLA segments.

I went there for the first time last July, and boy what a blast! Of course it was hot and humid. I took three showers a day.

Love Bryan Cranston. I'm glad they did the Big Questions bit. That's fun.

I also loved when Stephen said he figured Trumbo was the love child of Donald Trump and Dumbo.

• Love 2

Some guy was really happy about the Bernie Sanders underwear quip!

I'm starting to see some people's problems with Stephen trying to act fly and cool when he's about to introduce Jean Baptiste.  It's a bit irritating.  It gives validation in those "black people are like, white people are like" jokes.

Couldn't give a shit about Harry Potter.  I'm very much an Alice man, myself.  Only needed two books to tell Alice's story.  Those books are practically my Bible.

Don't know what TED Talks are.  Don't care really.  Sounds like a verbal circlejerk to me.

Missed much of the Whoopi interview, but I caught the Ohio governor interview.  It frustrated me because it just seemed naïve.  Also, the guy seemed like a milquetoast.  People are getting harsh jail sentences for piddling amounts of marijuana.  Prisons are overflowing with such people.  That's hardly fair.  Then again, I've lived a sheltered life, so what do I know?  On a related note, Illinois has legalized medical marijuana.  I won't be taking any because I hate smoking. 

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

I think part of the problem is Baptiste himself. 

Whenever he is called upon to talk, he almost always looks surprised he's supposed to say something.   Either he needs to go to rehersal more, or he needs to take some acting lessons.  He just seems totally stiff and uneasy in front of the camera -- unless he's in his element playing music.  So perhaps they should just throw it less to Baptiste for the time being. 

RejecTED should, well, be rejected.  Man, I thought that was a lame sketch.  Stephen should put those tapes back in the dumpster where he found them.  ;)

OTOH, am not a HP fan at all either, but I thought that little bit was hilarious.  Especially with SC breaking out of character with his flub ups a couple of times.

• Love 1

I never heard of TED Talks until last night, and I still don't get it. But a lot of the audience members did and were crazy about it. What am I missing here?

I didn't see the bit, but I can tell you why TED Talks are ripe for satirization. They invariably feature wide-eyed, "super-alive" guru-types who purport to have alighted on some blinding epiphany that they are now eager to share from the stage with a much-too-receptive audience of new-age hipsters.

• Love 2
Milburn Stone, on 07 Nov 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

I didn't see the bit, but I can tell you why TED Talks are ripe for satirization. They invariably feature wide-eyed, "super-alive" guru-types who purport to have alighted on some blinding epiphany that they are now eager to share from the stage with a much-too-receptive audience of new-age hipsters.

So it really is a verbal circlejerk!

• Love 1

Baptiste makes me a bit uncomfortable because of the way he talks. I'll just say it: He sounds like an old-timey offensive black stereotype.

Or he reminds me of Kevin Eubanks without the personality.

Most musicians aren't entertainers, and maybe Colbert should follow his late-night brethren and not try to make him happen. He's already good at what he does. Stop trying to make him into what he isn't. Maybe find another person to talk to: Who's the announcer guy?

Here's how other talk show hosts handle their bandleaders.

--Kimmel has known his bandleader, Cleto, since they were kids, but he rarely interacts with him. He also isn't an entertainer.

--Corden does have an entertainer as his bandleader, but not everybody is Reggie Watts.

--I don't watch Seth Meyers enough to know how much he uses Fred Armisen these days, but I recall Armisen being a total stiff -- unlike how he is in his other jobs.

--Fallon interacts with his bandleader and band, but they also are stiffs.

--Conan rarely interacts with his band, except for a once-in-a-while comedy bit. And much of his band, including bandleader Jimmy Vivino, has been with him for 22 years now.

--Letterman interacted with Paul Shaffer, but Shaffer really didn't say much. And when he did talk, he sounded kind of deaf and high, so it was funny.

• Love 1

Ellen DeGeneres is another case in point as she's been through 3-4 DJs over the years. Finding someone verbally adept whose personality meshes with the host isn't easy.

I think Stephen's problem is that he's trying to script or force what should be a spontaneous interaction. It's not necessary to talk to, or high kick with, Jon every night.

Regarding the New Orleans segment, it's possible that was filmed before the show started and they really didn't know each other at all.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

think Stephen's problem is that he's trying to script or force what should be a spontaneous interaction. It's not necessary to talk to, or high kick with, Jon every night.

Regarding the New Orleans segment, it's possible that was filmed before the show started and they really didn't know each other at all.

It certainly seemed to me that the New Orleans segment was filmed over the summer, when it is very hot and humid there (notice Stephen's light colored suit).

I've seen the clip of Stephen's interview with Jon when they first met on TCR and they seemed quite at ease with each other for having just met, so maybe it's true that these bits they are doing currently are something they are still working out and are scripted rather than improvised.  I'd be willing to give it a little more time to get sorted out, along with other segments they're experimenting with.  It's still only been two months. 

The Harry Potter segment did give me a lot of laughs, flubs and all, and I've never read the books either.

Baptiste makes me a bit uncomfortable because of the way he talks. I'll just say it: He sounds like an old-timey offensive black stereotype.

Or he reminds me of Kevin Eubanks without the personality.

I don't see it as that bad.  I mean Leno all but had Mr. Eubanks eating watermelon whilst tapdancing to "Scrub me, Mama, with a boogie beat".  I don't see that with Stephen and Jean Baptiste.  I see a gangly Ichabod Crane-esque (cartoon version, not Sleepy Hollow movie or TV version) white man trying to look hip, and failing, while a black man awkwardly tries to go along with it and not just throwing everything down and walking out of the Ed Sullivan Theater.

Regardless of how one feels about Baptiste, what is certain is the program is making a calculated effort to integrate him more into being part of the show. The first subtle sign began about a week ago when they started leaving his mic cracked open during the monologue. All the better to capture the 'sidekick' guffaws and chuckles.

• Love 1

--Fallon interacts with his bandleader and band, but they also are stiffs.

--Conan rarely interacts with his band, except for a once-in-a-while comedy bit. And much of his band, including bandleader Jimmy Vivino, has been with him for 22 years now.

These guys have full-time sidekicks, so any band interaction is low-priority.

Regardless of how one feels about Baptiste, what is certain is the program is making a calculated effort to integrate him more into being part of the show. The first subtle sign began about a week ago when they started leaving his mic cracked open during the monologue. All the better to capture the 'sidekick' guffaws and chuckles.

Oh, man. I've noticed that. I didn't think it was recent. I listen with earphones, so I pick up every guffaw.

There's an element of preening that continues to bug. A sense emanating from Colbert of "I really am amazing, aren't I?" The reason this isn't totally off-putting is that he really is amazing! Clearly one of the most brilliant people to ever be on television, and able to deliver a higher level of quality night after night than almost anyone in late night history. But this comes along with an evident self-regard that he'd be that much more appealing without.

• Love 5

I loved the Harry Potter segment, esp the stuff with Hedwig. I read all the books. I'm about four times older than the intended reader, but I still enjoyed them. It was a wonderful world she created. Harry Potter and the Cauldron of Spoilers had some good ones in it. Snape is short for Snapple. Hermoine goes back in time and kills Wizard Hitler.

I didn't like the wrestler RejecTED Talk, but the second one was pretty funny re the OTT pretentiousness. I've seen a few TED Talks and have heard parts of others on NPR. Some are really interesting, some are funny (intentionally).

I enjoyed Glen Hansard's performance. I love the Once soundtrack.

Fable, on 08 Nov 2015 - 1:01 PM, said:Fable, on 08 Nov 2015 - 1:01 PM, said:

You know you can put it in brownies, right? ;) 

Oh, the last thing I need is to get fatter than I already am!  Give me pot brownies and I'll be needing a pryin' board and washing myself with a rag on a stick by the end of the week.

I think it is cute how y'all have changed his name to Jean Baptiste from Jon Batiste!!  He's only 28.  Maybe he can grow into the role.  We can overlook him because we enjoy Stephen most of the time.

You mean I've been spelling it wrong this whole time!

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

I wrote on this forum way back when that I thought Stephen's interactions with Jon felt like, "look how cool I am, hanging with a hip black dude." That was written mostly in regard to the dancing, which Stephen has curtailed, but it still feels the same way to me. I know black musicians who are very sensitive to behaving in any way that reinforces stereotypes, so I wonder how comfortable Jon is with situation. I mean, he's a Julliard trained musician. On the other hand, he's in a difficult spot. Stephen is his boss. Plus, it's an amazing opportunity for a young jazz musician to be on a national TV show, not to mention earn that kind of money. So I guess that Jon is willing to let Stephen do his thing, knowing that if anyone looks silly, and is embarrassing themselves, it's Stephen.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Jon is from the deep south, and has that slow southern way of speaking and gentle demeanor. So it might make it seem even more that he is being deferential to Stephen, when it's really a cultural thing.

What does annoy me is that Stephen always talks about how great the band is, but he still hasn't allowed him them play an entire number on air. Why not feature Jon doing what he does best, instead of trying to turn him into a comic foil, a role he really doesn't seem suited for. 

Edited by bluepiano

I wrote on this forum way back when that I thought Stephen's interactions with Jon felt like, "look how cool I am, hanging with a hip black dude." That was written mostly in regard to the dancing, which Stephen has curtailed, but it still feels the same way to me. 

I don't feel this way. Stephen has always done dancing on TCR. He likes to move, and he moves well, imo. I just see his dancing at the top of the show as him showing joy. He's having fun. I get the feeling that Jon has joined in on his own, and Stephen likes that. So they're playing off each other, playing with each other.

I still think that the conversations betw them seem forced. Stephen is trying to include Jon, but it just doesn't work well.

• Love 3

Am I the only one who was concerned that 1) Stephen's office window can open*, and 2) the bottom of his window is below his waist and he could easily slip out and fall to his death?

(*I'm assuming those tall buildings don't have openable windows so that people don't commit suicide, but it's probably a really old building.)

I'm not sure I like him having 4 big-name guests on the same show, not counting Liam Neeson.

It's either because it feels like he's rushing through the segment, or they're not in-depth like on Letterman (or even Kimmel), or maybe it's that having three guest slots is too much for a one-hour show.

(Seth Meyers also does three-guest shows, more frequently, and it feels like they're rushing.)

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

They're not all like that. I've seen a lot of great TED talks, especially some of the TEDx talks localized in different cities. I covered a TEDx conference in Baghdad one year that was comprised entirely of women and it actually was very inspiring.

• Love 2

I agree that Stephen's open window looked scary.  I worked on the 27th floor of a newer building until last year and there was no way those windows would open.  Hope the windows will stay closed.

However, I do feel the show is getting more spontaneous over all, and while the interviews are sometimes short, they are entertaining.  Bruce Campbell attempting to imitate Stephen at his desk was funny maybe because it was kind of awkward, but apparently it was a spur of the moment thing as far as I could tell.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

Another thing I notice is that The Late Show's web team is stingy on the clips.

I first noticed this a few weeks ago when Julianna Margulies was on, and nothing of her interview was posted on Colbert's YouTube channel or CBS.com.

Or when Colbert and Kimmel competed for their agent's affection. That clip was hilarious, but it didn't make it online.

I also noticed it this morning when I wanted to share a clip of Colbert's delightful interview with Aziz and his dad.

I worry about this also because a lot of media people who posts clips of late-night stuff in the morning don't actually watch the shows. They just look for clips on each late-night show pages. Most shows have some sort of editor deciding what's interesting to post online, but it seems like Colbert's person is off the mark.

DxQwDqU.png

I also noticed it this morning when I wanted to share a clip of Colbert's delightful interview with Aziz and his dad.

I worry about this also because a lot of media people who posts clips of late-night stuff in the morning don't actually watch the shows. They just look for clips on each late-night show pages. Most shows have some sort of editor deciding what's interesting to post online, but it seems like Colbert's person is off the mark.

Does this have anything to do with CBS' very possessive attitude about CBS All Access?  I wouldn't sign up for it even for a free tryout because they demand your name and date of birth (no thank you, I already had to take out a credit freeze due to my health insurance company's data being hacked).  I wonder if CBS doesn't want to give away clips.  I agree it's a very bad attitude.  I tried once to go on Youtube to find the opening of Stephen's show that I missed one night, and they didn't put it up.

I also very much enjoyed the segment with Aziz and his dad, too bad it's not online...for whatever reason.

Edited by roseha

Does this have anything to do with CBS' very possessive attitude about CBS All Access?  I wouldn't sign up for it even for a free tryout because they demand your name and date of birth (no thank you, I already had to take out a credit freeze due to my health insurance company's data being hacked).  I wonder if CBS doesn't want to give away clips.  I agree it's a very bad attitude.  I tried once to go on Youtube to find the opening of Stephen's show that I missed one night, and they didn't put it up.

I also very much enjoyed the segment with Aziz and his dad, too bad it's not online...for whatever reason.

You can watch last night's episode (and every episode from this month) for free here. It's not on CBS All-Access yet, which just makes it more puzzling that it's not included.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/

Just saw the Whoopie interview. Man I was bored out of my skull. I actually fell asleep during it.

Missed much of the Whoopi interview, but I caught the Ohio governor interview.  It frustrated me because it just seemed naïve.  Also, the guy seemed like a milquetoast.  People are getting harsh jail sentences for piddling amounts of marijuana.  Prisons are overflowing with such people.  That's hardly fair.  Then again, I've lived a sheltered life, so what do I know?  On a related note, Illinois has legalized medical marijuana.  I won't be taking any because I hate smoking.

What a dumbshit that guy came off of. When Stephen compared pot to alcohol, this idiot just babbled on ignoring Stephen's question and returning to his talking points, like he was counting on his true supporters not to care. In that moment he embodied why politicians are hated by almost everyone.

(to be clear I woke up the next morning after the Whoopie part bored me to sleep and watched the later part of the epsode...)

Edited by Kromm

Great show. The whole bit with the noises outside his window was cracking me up. Stephen has really good pitch, too. 

Liam Neesom. That was so funny. I've never played Candy Crush, but it looks like Bejeweled. Anyway, this was a lot of fun.

I enjoyed Aziz, and his dad was ok, but I really wish it had only been Aziz. I've never seen him interviewed, and I wanted to hear more from him, though I'm still not satisfied with Stephen's interviewing style/ability. It often seems like he's missing great opportunities to explore interesting topics.

I want to watch Master of None, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it. There are so many other things to watch (and to do IRL).

Bruce Campbell was a lot of fun. I'll never watch an Evil Dead movie or show, but I saw him as Reagan on Fargo the other night. He was really good. He and Jeffrey Donovan didn't have any scenes together, but maybe they were able to chat since both were in Burn Notice. Lucy Lawless appeared on that show too.

Another thing I notice is that The Late Show's web team is stingy on the clips.

I think this is a CBS (or production company) thing and doesn't have anything to do with their All -Access. Back when Craig Ferguson was on the air, he didn't have an official youtube channel (at least not when I was catching up on years of episodes I'd missed). They were posted by viewers. And CBS allowed them to stay online as long as they cut the clips out. So, you'd be watching Craig introduce someone and say they were going to show a clip and then it'd jump to when the guest walked out. There would always be commentors asking what had happened and the answer was basically that CBS/WorldWide Pants/whomever would allow the episode to stay up as long if there were no other clips. But because they didn't (necessarily) own the guests' clips, episodes with clips were made to be taken down.

My guess, anyway, is this might be for similar reasons.

I liked Stephen's Starbucks Christmas cup segment even though I've heard some of the jokes before on TDS. Still, making fun of Christian symbols being snowflakes and snowmen gave me a chuckle. "Sadly, the three wise snowmen did not last long in the desert."

Stephen needs to offer a hand to women guests to get up the steps. I noticed the other day when Shonda Rimes came on, she started to hold her hand out, but Stephen didn't notice.