Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season One All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I'm sorry that Stephen didn't ask Marion Cotillard about when French people kiss two, three, or four times. It was a great setup for an interesting conversation.

I loved the interview with George Saunders. Extremely interesting and entertaining thruout. The bedtime story was outstanding. 

BTW, I've long wanted to mention that one member of the band always makes me think of Casey Affleck in Oceans 11.

casey_affleck_1200870730.jpg

Edited by peeayebee
I'm sorry that Stephen didn't ask Marion Cotillard about when French people kiss two, three, or four times. It was a great setup for an interesting conversation.

Many French don't know.  They just do whatever they are brought up to do.  Some do 2, some 3, I can never remember which of my husband's french friends/relatives are which.

• Love 1

My father was Polish, so we had a lot of Polish friends. The cheek kissing was sometimes three, sometimes four, but I never knew when it was going to be one or the other. I just had to be prepared to do it four times.

I really like Steve Carell, but I wish that interview was better. 

I don't care much for Jennifer Hudson one way or the other. I didn't think she was all that good in the bit from The Color Purple. She can sing, but she didn't have the magnetism the role requires, imo.

I'm indifferent to Carrel, but I was hoping the interview would be fun like when they were together on TDS.  I found the interview to be phony and too insider show-biz.  Worst of all it was boring.  I've loved Stephen for a long time and never missed an episode of the Report, but the new show feels to generic to me.  I'll probably record it when an interesting guest is on, but won't be watching every episode.

• Love 1

I loved the interview with George Saunders. Extremely interesting and entertaining thruout. The bedtime story was outstanding.

Agree that was a great interview.  It really gave me an insight into writing especially short story writing.  I'm glad Stephen is keeping the bedtime story sketch as a way of integrating the authors into the performance of the show, and helping them do what they do best.

Love, love, loved the Downton Abbey actors American accents.  Michelle Dockery was especially good.

I also thought, because of how his facial hair looked, that Allan Leech would make a pretty good new Wolverine.

I also enjoyed Stephen bringing the show to a screeching halt to change a light bulb was fantastic!

Finally, Donald Trump and all who support him can go fuck themselves.

• Love 3

Yes! Brian Stack finally appered on  Colbert (He was the ghost....for those who don't know, Stack was a fixture on Conan's show.)

For me, the problem with watching so many late-night shows and MSNBC is you see a joke beaten to death.

MSNBC mocked the hummus thing first. then The Nightly Show did it on Tuesday, followed by The Daily Show on Wedesday.

I enjoyed the increased real or seeming spontaneity of this episode, from Stephen telling Jimmy to keep rollling after flubbing in the opening segment, to setting up the Reese's segment only to interrupt it to go out and change the dead light bulb, to the appearance of "ghost" Brian Stack (and is the female ghost his new female writer?).   I also didn't know anything about Adam McKay and his improv Chicago background and it was amusing that Stephen had his old show ad from the 90s.  I think that kind of loosening up is the kind of thing the audience will enjoy.

• Love 1

Of all the segments that Stephen has done since taking over The Late Show, I have to say that "Bedtime Stories" is my absolute favourite. Like, I get ridiculously excited whenever he has an author on, because they might do a bedtime story. It allows talented authors the chance to show off what they do best (which doesn't often happen on late night), and it allows Stephen to look like a totally adorable goofball in his jammies. Everyone's a winner!

(He had spaceship sheets this week! Spaceship sheets!)

Edited by Slovenly Muse
  • Love 4

I'm glad I didn't see that article before the show and was delightfully surprised. After his appearance on TDS, I instinctively said "papa?" out loud and will grin forever at the business of Colbert tenderly wiping Cheetos on Jon's face while he tries not to laugh. Carell and Stewart all in one week is a pretty great holiday gift.

Also: a live dog, a fight sequence and a roller coaster? They were not kidding around with this show. So much work for 42 minutes of Thursday night programming. It's pretty amazing if you think about it.

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 3

I'm glad I didn't see that article before the show and was delightfully surprised. After his appearance on TDS, I instinctively said "papa?" out loud and will grin forever at the business of Colbert tenderly wiping Cheetos on Jon's face while he tries not to laugh. Carell and Stewart all in one week is a pretty great holiday gift.

Also: a live dog, a fight sequence and a roller coaster? They were not kidding around with this show. So much work for 42 minutes of Thursday night programming. It's pretty amazing if you think about it.

Stephen Colbert tweeted a clip of that appearance four hours before it aired, which is the basis for that article.

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/675112198608314368

I didn't really care for the fight bit, but I loved the roller coaster bit. It was fun, though I wanted to hear the professor talk more about the book. I actually read it twice in college. For some reason I liked it more the first than the second time.

Michael Lewis is always a good guest.

I liked the fight bit.  But the one stunt I couldn't figure out.  How did both of them fall/jump off the balcony without getting hurt?  There didn't seem to be anything they landed on.  Maybe a giant mattress that was pulled away as soon as they landed?

• Love 1

Especially considering that Amusement park with the roller coaster is an hour and a half trip each way from Manhattan if there were zero traffic (in traffic it could be three times that).  

Edited by Kromm

Was this the first time Stephen mentioned the opening credits? I think it was, and I always thought it was strange that with all the compliants he kept throwing at the Ed Sullivan theater, he never talked about the wonderful opening credits.

Was this the first time Stephen mentioned the opening credits? I think it was, and I always thought it was strange that with all the compliants he kept throwing at the Ed Sullivan theater, he never talked about the wonderful opening credits.

Complaints or Compliments?  I'd say he's done the second, not the first.

• Love 1

Was anyone able to watch the extended version of the credits? I tried Colbertlateshow.com or whatever it was Steven said but my anti-virus program had a heart attack so I stopped. And there's nothing on the CBS website that I could find.

I watched most of last week's episodes over the weekend and I'm still finding the interviews to be very uneven. Some are great, but most are choppy and rushed and leave me feeling I've learned nothing about the guest. Most of the comedy bits fall flat for me, too. The only parts I consistently like are the desk segments so I pretty much skip everything else now. It's disappointing, but those desk segments are so good that I'll keep watching.

Edited by Grommet

I think Stephen is still having a hard time keeping the show in the time allotted.  Many of the interviews have odd cuts in them that seem to be editing choices.  They may seem more natural if they did not have to be edited for time. 

Was anyone able to watch the extended version of the credits? I tried Colbertlateshow.com or whatever it was Steven said but my anti-virus program had a heart attack so I stopped. And there's nothing on the CBS website that I could find.

I watched most of last week's episodes over the weekend and I'm still finding the interviews to be very uneven. Some are great, but most are choppy and rushed and leave me feeling I've learned nothing about the guest. Most of the comedy bits fall flat for me, too. The only parts I consistently like are the desk segments so I pretty much skip everything else now. It's disappointing, but those desk segments are so good that I'll keep watching.

Colbertlateshow.com just forwards to http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/It's the exact same place.

That said, you don't have to look on CBS.com for it. It's also on the Late Show Youtube channel.

Love, love, loved the Downton Abbey actors American accents.  Michelle Dockery was especially good.

I also thought, because of how his facial hair looked, that Allan Leech would make a pretty good new Wolverine.

I also enjoyed Stephen bringing the show to a screeching halt to change a light bulb was fantastic!

Finally, Donald Trump and all who support him can go fuck themselves.

I love Michelle D. I was very impressed by her ability to carry on since her fiancé was dying (had just died?) when they filmed this :(

ETA: He died on Dec 13th, so just after they filmed this I guess. So sad.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 2

I only just caught up with the episode from the 11th.  I gotta say "8 Days of Hanukkah" has to be one of the best things I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/bY8BY9V0BL4

They did this song during a Tiny Desk Concert on NPR.  It was posted during Hanukkah.  I think they're posting the rest of the concert on Friday.  Looking forward to hearing it.

I honestly think this was the most enjoyable Robert De Niro interview I've ever seen. I had been dreading it, but Stephen worked really well with him, and that last bit was a lot of fun. The discussion about Three Santas was hilarious.

I also liked the Daniel Gilbert interview. He looked familiar, like I've seen him in a commercial. I know he'd been on TCR, but I think I've seen him elsewhere.

I've never seen Henry Rollins interviewed before, but that was great. He Never Died sounds so interesting and fun. His explanation of the premise intrigued me so much. I doubt I'll get out to see it, but I'll look for it on streaming later.

As for the rest of the show, it was fun, too. The whole bit about Trump's doctor was great. That goofy picture of the doc just cracked me up, as did the voice that Stephen did with it. "I've hidden a polyp somewhere on my body. I'm sure you'll find it."

• Love 6

I honestly think this was the most enjoyable Robert De Niro interview I've ever seen. I had been dreading it, but Stephen worked really well with him, and that last bit was a lot of fun. The discussion about Three Santas was hilarious.

I also liked the Daniel Gilbert interview. He looked familiar, like I've seen him in a commercial. I know he'd been on TCR, but I think I've seen him elsewhere.

I've never seen Henry Rollins interviewed before, but that was great. He Never Died sounds so interesting and fun. His explanation of the premise intrigued me so much. I doubt I'll get out to see it, but I'll look for it on streaming later.

As for the rest of the show, it was fun, too. The whole bit about Trump's doctor was great. That goofy picture of the doc just cracked me up, as did the voice that Stephen did with it. "I've hidden a polyp somewhere on my body. I'm sure you'll find it."

Gilbert has been appearing in Prudential Financial Services commercials, notably one that featured oversized dominoes falling.

Have to disagree about De Niro.  Great actor, not worth a damn as a talk show guest.  I was kinda put off by the audience losing their shit when the men just sat there in silence.  Cool, two old guys looking constipated on network television.  At least when Craig Ferguson did it years ago it only lasted 15 or 20 seconds...

Rollins was terrific BTW. Still gettin'' it done.

At the risk of catching hell from the Mod, here's a great interview with Letterman from the Whitefish Montana Review:

http://www.whitefishreview.org/archives/2015/12/david-letterman-interview/

Edited by kib

Have to disagree about De Niro.  Great actor, not worth a damn as a talk show guest.  I was kinda put off by the audience loosing their shit when they just sat there in silence.  Cool, two old guys looking constipated on network television.  At least when Craig Ferguson did it years ago it only lasted 15 or 20 seconds...

I guess I like that DeNiro is this powerful, commanding actor on screen, but in real life he's introverted, somewhat socially awkward, and still gets uncomfortable during interviews. And DeNiro's done how many interviews during the course of his career? Hundreds, maybe? It makes him seem more human. I like that Jennifer Lawrence mentioned the other night that DeNiro speaks so quietly that she found herself constantly yelling, "What? What?" on the set. 

Trevor Noah also did something similar on The Daily Show. Both bits were quite hilarious. 

• Love 1

Have to disagree about De Niro.  Great actor, not worth a damn as a talk show guest.  I was kinda put off by the audience losing their shit when the men just sat there in silence.  Cool, two old guys looking constipated on network television.  At least when Craig Ferguson did it years ago it only lasted 15 or 20 seconds...

I agree, the De Niro interview was painful to watch.  Stephen is an affable guy, but it was like he was pulling teeth trying to get De Niro to respond to anything he said. And for all the effort the show went to for liquid nitrogen chilled martinis, they didn't actually talk about martinis and what makes a cold martini better.  Felt like a waste to me.

I haven't been watching religiously, but it seems the show has slightly changed formats to de-emphasize political humor.  It seemed like it used to be credits, then 2 desk segments, then 2 interviews, then 1 musical guest.  Now it seems like credits, 1 desk segment, 2 interviews (1 of them 2 segments long), then the rest.  Sometimes the 2nd segment would be a sort-of sketch, like Colbert and Jennifer Lawrence asking deep questions (which itself reminds me of a random Harry Caray sketch on SNL from 20 years ago...)   I strongly prefer the desk segments, with their political humor, to extended interviews.

• Love 1

At the risk of catching hell from the Mod, here's a great interview with Letterman from the Whitefish Montana Review:

Here comes the hell... ;)

Kidding! It's fine to share articles about Letterman in the LSSC forum, since Late Show used to be his baby, but if you have another in the future, the Media topic would be a better spot for it. Thanks!

• Love 1

I haven't been watching religiously, but it seems the show has slightly changed formats to de-emphasize political humor.  It seemed like it used to be credits, then 2 desk segments, then 2 interviews, then 1 musical guest.  Now it seems like credits, 1 desk segment, 2 interviews (1 of them 2 segments long), then the rest.  Sometimes the 2nd segment would be a sort-of sketch, like Colbert and Jennifer Lawrence asking deep questions (which itself reminds me of a random Harry Caray sketch on SNL from 20 years ago...)   I strongly prefer the desk segments, with their political humor, to extended interviews.

I don't believe it's a state secret that Colbert is not pulling the numbers CBS had originally hoped for.  It also shouldn't be a surprise to learn when the network crunched the numbers, the show wasn't particularly resonating with the same demographic that didn't care for The Report.

Problem is, while you can more or less get away with that on cable it's a different matter for CBS and traditional broadcasters. There was an interesting comment recently from Howard Stern who, whether you like him or not, does know something about the mechanics of broadcasting.  He opined that based on the current ratings it might just be a matter of time before Colbert & Co. starts getting more of the much despised 'network notes'.

That might explain some of the changes.  

I love Michelle D. I was very impressed by her ability to carry on since her fiancé was dying (had just died?) when they filmed this :(

ETA: He died on Dec 13th, so just after they filmed this I guess. So sad.

Oh, my God!  Her fiancé died!?  That's so sad.  And just before Christmas.  God, that's heart-breaking.

• Love 2

Gilbert has been appearing in Prudential Financial Services commercials, notably one that featured oversized dominoes falling.

Have to disagree about De Niro. Great actor, not worth a damn as a talk show guest. I was kinda put off by the audience losing their shit when the men just sat there in silence. Cool, two old guys looking constipated on network television. At least when Craig Ferguson did it years ago it only lasted 15 or 20 seconds...

Rollins was terrific BTW. Still gettin'' it done.

Not for nothing, but I also linked to the Letterman interview *where the link actually belongs*, in the Letterman in the Media thread in the forum for his version of the show. I agree, it was a great interview--so were the scenic Montana photos (not by Dave) included with it.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

I miss the two desk segments too.  Frankly, I think interviewing actors is boring and many of the 'skits' he does with them are just 'eh' to me. I really don't care for the 'big questions with even even bigger stars' bit.  part of the reason actor interviews seem boring is that it seems that the better the actor is, i.e., the better they are able to portray other people/characters, the less they have of their own personality.  IOW, they are better able to pretend to be someone else because they are such a blank slate themselves (kindof like the dolls of "Dollhouse").

Even some of the individual segments Colbert has done seem to have lost their bite.  The latest Big Furry Hat bit was kindof meh.

• Love 1

Another thing Stephen does in the interview segments that I don't like is talk too much. So many times, like with an actor, he'll describe the plot. Why not let the actor explain it? He doesn't do it all the time, but I think he should first let the guest talk about what s/he's there to talk about. If the guest doesn't explain well or is reticent (like de Niro) then Stephen can fill in the blanks.

I know it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but I did giggle a little bit when Jennifer Lawrence said she wanted to talk about me when asked about Robert De Niro. That's definitely a miss for Colbert. I almost never catch what the celebrity is actually promoting because the clip generally runs before they get on stage. Then Colbert dithers on about every big project they've ever done before switching to something completely off topic. It doesn't help that half the guests aren't there to promote anything other then the fact that Colbert likes to talk politics.

I noticed the shift in segments after the Thanksgiving break after the articles dropped about him not doing well. I'm almost about to give up on the show completely now because the extra interview bits are pretty snooze-worthy. I would much rather see more desk bits and skits at the beginning. On the last show I watched, he was to the guest by minute 18. Including the commercials and credits.

Yesterday was the anniversary of TCR ending. Stephen was gesturing to someone in the audience about it when he first came out. I didn't need a reminder; it was one of the worst birthdays ever, not as bad as the birthday when I found out my cat was dying from liver disease but not as good as the one where I had my wisdom teeth removed. At least that one involved drugs.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

I loved "and now, my second question." 

I've been a Mandy Patinkin fan since I saw in in Evita way back in the stone age.  This is the first time I've really noticed the Chicago accent.  He's a force of nature. And he sings so beautifully... 

• Love 1

I loved "and now, my second question." 

I've been a Mandy Patinkin fan since I saw in in Evita way back in the stone age.  This is the first time I've really noticed the Chicago accent.  He's a force of nature. And he sings so beautifully... 

That's odd, I think I've always noticed it.

In fact, I think it had at least a little to do with him being cast for Chicago Hope. I mean he'd gotten famous on the back of Princess Bride in 1987, but I think his projects for years after that went pretty unnoticed. 

Neat that you actually got to see him on Broadway though...

Unless you saw him on the Tony Awards back when that show got nominated. I'm sure they broadcast a number from the play.

Edited by Kromm

That's odd, I think I've always noticed it.

In fact, I think it had at least a little to do with him being cast for Chicago Hope. I mean he'd gotten famous on the back of Princess Bride in 1987, but I think his project for years after that went pretty unnoticed. 

Neat that you actually got to see him on Broadway though...

Unless you saw him on the Tony Awards back when that show got nominated. I'm sure they broadcast a number from the play.

Actually saw the show (although of course I watched the Tonys).  As soon as he opened his mouth and sound came out, I was hooked.  Didn't matter that the show was an ALW show, he was so spectacular, I went back a couple more times.

Maybe I've just never focused on the accent when he was on talk shows before.  I'll have to start paying more attention.