Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Surprise Of The Century

The reality competition celebrates its 100th episode in style when the artists turn real-life couples into whimsically undead duos. Following the challenge, host McKenzie Westmore, who recently became an ordained minster, will perform a marriage ceremony attended by friends and family.

When couple was talking about how they wanted nature woodsy stuff

Me: (Thinking to myself) "Well that's cool you could do a fall/winter thing where leaves are falling off of something or maybe something is wilting or freezing"

Clueless contestant: "They want nature and it's all about life.."

Me: (still to self) "Well there's pestilence in nature, rotting in nature"

CC: "I just don't know how we can make that macabre"

Me: *slaps head*

Glenn is not holding back this season on saying when he thinks that something sucks. I like it. He obviously was tickled as hell at the cat combo. However I don't think his cat love biased him as that one was so obviously kick ass it deserved the win.

Missy/Drag Queen Traffic cop (Hey if she keeps dressing like one, I'm gonna still call her one) is the one that should go. She's been in the bottom too often.  I don't think she will be the one though.

However ....Huh. She is a great mold opener. Random but cool.

List your weird, situation-specific talent.  Mine is: I am really good at giving the hints when you playing a game where you have to make people say a word by giving them verbal cues (i.e. Taboo, 10,000 Pyramid etc.) I am only ok at guessing.

• Love 1

Ugh. I was not feeling this episode at ALL. I wasn't the least bit invested in any of the makeups or, for that matter, the couples. And I'm annoyed that they're dragging out the elimination. I have to worry about Nora for a whole week?

And maybe it's partly because my husband is an actual ordained minister, but I too am over the stunt of non-clergy getting "ordained" just for the occasion. No offense to anyone who has gone that route--an old friend whom I love a lot just got fake ordained to officiate a friend's wedding--but it doesn't sit well with me. Don't mind me, I'm an old crank.

• Love 8

So they stopped before the elimination to have the wedding celebration? Wouldn't that be really awful if you were in the bottom? Way to drag out the misery, show.

Usually when I disagree with the judges, they like something I hated. This time, I really liked Missy's (and whoever her partner was - she's more memorable). Maybe it's because the couple really sold it. In fact, all these couples sold it. I missed the very beginning, are they in the business?.

I think this could have been a cool challenge but yet again the contestants don't seem to understand whimsy all that well. The top two looks were the only ones that seemed to understand how to mix whimsy and macabre.

I was surprised at how much I liked the cat couple. At first I thought that the horns didn't make any sense but the whole effect turned out interesting.

I didn't care for Missy and her partner's look but I thought it was a little bit better than the Christmas couple which I thought was really boring and the makeup looked flat and dull.

Norah and Meg could have done something really cool using art as an inspiration but they seem to lack creatively. It made me think of the challenge a few seasons back where the contestants had to use a specific style of art to create a character. I remember they came up with some really cool ideas.

Anyway, I predict Norah or Missy is going home next week.

• Love 1

So, I have a question.  I've been reading about vocal affectations, including something called vocal fry:  Is that what Chrissy's voice is?  I'm old, and I can spot a valley girl a mile off (I know this affectation is now called something else but to me it's still valley girl) but this vocal fry thing has me scratching my head.  I do work among a lot of young folks so maybe I just can't hear it anymore.  Looking for actual examples!

I would bet a million dollars that these were not real weddings; nobody would agree to makeup and costumes not of their choosing to be in their wedding pictures. I'm sure they all had more traditional weddings at another time. I really liked the Christmas Carolers for some reason, they were my favorite. The cat people were good too but nothing about it looked like a couple getting married. To me, the only successful ones were the ones where they could look somewhat like a couple about to be married rather a random whimsical pair. 

• Love 2

I think this was my least favorite episode since Face Off began.  The basic concept of people actually getting married in ugly costumes and make up on TV struck me all wrong.  I don't really buy McKenzie as a minister either.  "Minister" usually implies a religion of some kind and that 90 second "ceremony" sure didn't involve anything even remotely religious.  It was less impressive than a Las Vegas wedding performed by an Elvis impersonator.  I couldn't take it seriously.  The only looks I liked were the ones that won. 

What is it with girls on all these shows wearing dark almost black lipstick?  That doesn't look good on anyone.

• Love 4

Not my favorite episode, not even an interesting episode. What are they going to do next week? If the elimination is next week, are they going to have another elimination challenge on the same show? 

• Love 1

I just felt really, really uncomfortable for the couples when the judges took their closer looks and critiqued the work. Wouldn't you just hate to hear from the experts that your "wedding" look was sub-par? Ouch.

Personally, I hate the whole Tim Burton "whimsy/macabre" aesthetic, so this didn't do anything for me. While I appreciated the top look, the only one I truly liked was the woodland couple, and even that had some flaws.

I'm pretty conflicted about Missy. I dislike the look she has adopted, and her voice--she always sounds on the verge of a breakdown! But she was helpful to her fellow contestants with their molds, and I respect that she said "I'm not going to break down right now over this setback, there isn't time." Soooo.. huh.

Also--I wish it were possible for any citizen to become a registered officiant, in order to officiate at weddings in a secular capacity. Administratively, it would be like registering to be a notary public. That would be preferable to people becoming fake online ministers just for the occasion.

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 7

So, I have a question. I've been reading about vocal affectations, including something called vocal fry: Is that what Chrissy's voice is? I'm old, and I can spot a valley girl a mile off (I know this affectation is now called something else but to me it's still valley girl) but this vocal fry thing has me scratching my head. I do work among a lot of young folks so maybe I just can't hear it anymore. Looking for actual examples!

Here ya go:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqVgtLQ7qM

• Love 3

I think this could have been a cool challenge but yet again the contestants don't seem to understand whimsy all that well. The top two looks were the only ones that seemed to understand how to mix whimsy and macabre.

I am so glad that Ve asked several of the contestants "do you know what whimsy means?" .... too many focused on the 'macabre' part of the challenge.  

I can't believe that the one contestant had the gall to tell Ve Neill that their couple is exactly what you find in the waiting room of Beetlejuice - you know, that film that she WON the Oscar for make-up effects - when she said the look wasn't whimsical.

• Love 5

I'm someone who is not and will never get married, and the traditional wedding is even less of interest. So I can definitely see having a TV show make me up as fugly as possible for the big day. How fun! I applaud the spirit of these couples, if not the institution.

• Love 1

I am sure one of the grooms in the gay couple is Vivian Pinay a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race.

I came here to say that they turned Vivian Pinay into Sharon Needles.  ;-)

A blah episode overall.  Why macabre?  Why not just whimsical?  *sigh*

• Love 3

A blah episode overall.  Why macabre?  Why not just whimsical?  *sigh*

Because if you don't throw some horror/monster/alien aspect into it, a goodly percentage of all the contestants the show has seen to date go into a complete tailspin? So far this season, a significant number of them have struggled with beauty and now with whimsy. Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 3
If the elimination is next week, are they going to have another elimination challenge on the same show?

Since they just had a double elimination, it's more likely they'll say that in the spirit of the celebration, nobody is going home from this challenge. IMHO, that would fit the "surprise" in the episode title more that anything else we saw.

Happy 100 episodes, Face Off!

I know I wouldn't want to get married in all that makeup (really, an "uglifying" challenge for some RL weddings? Really, show?) but the couples all put on a happy face. And their little skits when they came out onto the stage did make me smile, so that's something at least.

Loved the winning look, and I didn't expect to - while she was wrapping the yarn in the workshop I thought to myself, What a waste of time. But it ended up looking wonderful (especially the hair yarn on the bride) and I loved the way the groom kept batting at the yarn on his own horns. And the paint job on the bride was beautiful - I didn't get a good look at it earlier, so I was glad they kept showing it.

I'm fairly certain it's Missy that's going home, but way to drag it out, show! Yay, let's party to celebrate the weddings and the show's 100 eps, and you bottom four can secretly stew in your own fear. Have fun! Nice. They better keep Nora, as I feel she still has a lot to give to the show (and is the first contestant whose name I've bothered to learn). I appreciate that she stays level-headed in the midst of the chaos of the show, and even managed to keep it together while the judges were lambasting her work (I would've been a blubbering mess). Don't be stupid, show!

• Love 2

I am sure one of the grooms in the gay couple is Vivian Pinay a contestant on RuPaul's Drag Race.

Hmm. I wonder if he appeared as one of the drag queens on the recent Skin Wars episode? I thought he looked a little familiar.

• Love 1

Props to Ben and Jasmine.  If I was handed cat couple, I would not have thought, "Of course, yarn!!"  I would have gone the obvious feline face look (which I think they actually did, but the yarn kept it from being soooooo obvious).  

I wanted to like Evan and Kevon (is that pronounced "Kevin" or Kee-vonne"?) with the whole ying/yang, light/dark concept, but it got so muddled - pug-face, moon cowl, what?!

The wood people seemed to fulfill neither macabre or whimsy, so why didn't Libby and Brittany get called out?  The next time one of the judges says, "you didn't fulfill the challenge" I will be all, "Yeah? Well, what about the walking trees that got married that other time."

Edited by Lorimac
  • Love 2

I don't think they'll send Nora or Meg home. Nora is usually very talented and Meg won last week. Vee did mention that this was the second muddy paint job she'd seen from Missy, so I have a feeling this is the end for her.

I think Nora and Meg are an item!

I got that impression too.

This isn't the kind of wedding I would have wanted for myself, but if you want something memorable...all of the couples looked happy and their families were having fun too.  I count that as a win.  I also found myself getting choked up along with McKenzie.  

I loved Jasmine's makeup.

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

I wanted to like Evan and Kevon (is that pronounced "Kevin" or Kee-vonne"?) with the whole ying/yang, light/dark concept, but it got so muddled - pug-face, moon cowl, what?!

I must say, I rolled my eyes when Kevon's immediate idea was "Let's do a bright angel and a dark demon!" It's hard to imagine anything more trite as a concept for a challenge like this one. And then to take "bright" so literally as to construct a moon-shaped head (or was it a headdress?)But the wings were kind of neat, although IIRC, they were Evan's work.
  • Love 2

Loved the cat people. Wasn't really impressed by most of the other looks, in particular Missy's zombies, and the angel/demon pair. That, I enjoyed seeing that Drag Race guy back on tv after his Skin Wars appearance... now I want more crossovers ! I want Ru Paul to be a guest judge on Face Off and eviscerate our contestants' "beauty" makeups !

• Love 1

Hmm. I wonder if he appeared as one of the drag queens on the recent Skin Wars episode? I thought he looked a little familiar.

Yes it is the Drag Queen that was unimpressed by Cheryl Anne's Nicki Minaj concept.

• Love 3

Regarding the elimination:

Double, triple, quadruple spoiler warning from the Ep 4 preview.  

There is a very brief group shot, and while I'm not sure if I see Nora, I definitely don't see Missy.

Yes it is the Drag Queen that was unimpressed by Cheryl Anne's Nicki Minaj concept.

Aha! That poor, poor soul. At least Nora and partner weren't rude and dismissive to work with like Cheryl Anne was.

While I can understand they didn't want to cut anyone on the big 100th episode, I too am too impatient to wait six more days. And I can't think the party would be that much fun for the Bottom 4 - I know I'd be worrying the whole evening instead of enjoying myself.

While I can understand they didn't want to cut anyone on the big 100th episode, I too am too impatient to wait six more days. And I can't think the party would be that much fun for the Bottom 4 - I know I'd be worrying the whole evening instead of enjoying myself.

They'd have been better off cutting one person and having three relieved contestants at the party.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if the celebration might have been filmed before the judging.  That seems like a long time to have the couples standing around in makeup that couldn't have been terrifically comfortable.

I'm putting this in spoiler tags because I think it points towards who got eliminated, but it's something that one of the contestants put on Twitter last night:  

"Fuck what the judges think. I'm an occult artist. I paint dark. I still love what we did." That's from Missy. Wow, way to take criticism like a professional.

• Love 3

I want Ru Paul to be a guest judge on Face Off and eviscerate our contestants' "beauty" makeups

And have the challenge be to make your model a drag queen. I bet most of the contestants would really have a hard time with it. And if they absolutely have to have it be "monstery", then think of the alien spy woman that fooled around with Martin Short in "Mars Attacks!".

• Love 1

I loved the Kitty demons! That with the yarn was so creative.

Everyone else was pretty meh. I don't care for wedding episodes because there's the whole "have to be nice on the special day" thing. The only time it ever makes sense is in Top Chef.

Bonus: For those who missed it, there was a special last year where the Ve, Glenn and Neil competed, just for fun and charity. It turns out that Glenn is totally a secret kitty lover!

• Love 2

Bonus: For those who missed it, there was a special last year where the Ve, Glenn and Neil competed, just for fun and charity. It turns out that Glenn is totally a secret kitty lover!

And that was the point some of us who had resisted his charms melted.  >^..^<

He said he had two cats who were " THE CENTER OF HIS WORLD."

I don't think he would have thrown the contest to the couple with the cat theme

Conspiracy!  FIX FIX FIX!:)

Seriously I loved the cat couple.

• Love 1

I'm an ordained minister of the Church of the Latter Day Dude. I kid you not. So theoretically I can perform weddings. I would love to perform a Lebowski themed wedding!

Anyway, loved the winning couple! As someone already noted, the groom batting at the yarn dangling from his horns was adorbs.

Hope Divine...I mean Missy goes.

• Love 1
Nine seasons in, I'm just over mold drama.

Even my 14-year-old, who watches FaceOff with me, has learned to shout out "Mold!Drama! And.... drink!"*

"Fuck what the judges think. I'm an occult artist. I paint dark. I still love what we did." That's from Missy. Wow, way to take criticism like a professional.

I think Missy has missed the point of the competition. Most of us look at it as a very-public job audition. Yes, it looks as if she's done well with the "team player" portion, but in employment situations you have to either give your employer what he/she wants, or blow them away with your ideas to the point where you can convince them that your vision is what they really want. Blowing them off won't get you asked back for more jobs.

*For the record: she appreciates the concept of a drinking game, but we don't actually bother. No alcohol near my teen.

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 3

I feel like this "to be continued..." thing is happening way too often now in reality shows.  I'm really tired of it!  Just give me a complete episode, FFS.  I'm going to tune in next week anyway!  I can't believe Face Off joined in with this stupid trend.

• Love 3

The detail that drove me nuts was with the bridge-troll couple. In their intro piece, they said that he'd proposed on the Black Bridge in the Grand Canyon. Then they ended up getting done up all urban and having an urban bridge backdrop when they came on stage.

Here is a picture I took of the Black Bridge, following a 9 1/2-mile hike to reach it:

xEgEIFkm.jpg

It's a nitpick, but it made me all sorts of stabby.

• Love 5

I can't stand Nora. What a blow hard jerk. Go home!!!! If she stays it is just PR.

Ugh. I was not feeling this episode at ALL. I wasn't the least bit invested in any of the makeups or, for that matter, the couples. And I'm annoyed that they're dragging out the elimination. I have to worry about Nora for a whole week?

And maybe it's partly because my husband is an actual ordained minister, but I too am over the stunt of non-clergy getting "ordained" just for the occasion. No offense to anyone who has gone that route--an old friend whom I love a lot just got fake ordained to officiate a friend's wedding--but it doesn't sit well with me. Don't mind me, I'm an old crank.

I'm not worried at all about Nora. Go home Nora!!!! 

Anyone else think this challenge was inspired by the recent SCOTUS decision on gay marriage but that at some point production balked at following through with the original concept?

Yes... AND they're so chicken to eliminate Nora on that "politically correct" day... I will puke if Nora isn't sent home next week. She is a joke.

I just thought that it was weird (and somewhat boring) episode. I mean, how many people want to get married in horror make up? I would've preferred to watch more of the technical stuff than to watch the videos with the couples. 

Would most people want to get married in horror/monster/macabre/whimsical make-up on TV? I doubt it, but they only needed 30 or so couples (so they could narrow it down to right number -7? 8?).  I think there are plenty of people who would think "Hey, we are getting married anyway, let's get married on TV! We can still have the ceremony and reception we are planned to have in two months anyway." Heck, I think there are a number of people who would get married, even though they weren't planning on it, just because they would be on a TV show.  

I too would have preferred watching more of the technical stuff than watching the ceremony and the reception.  To me, weddings are fun if I know the people, but weddings between people I don't know are rather boring.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 3