Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Ashley Nell Tipton

• Start Topic

I think it's interesting how many people in the Road to the Runway thread predicted she would be the first one auf'd based on nothing really but her size. I'm delighted that, not only did that not happen, she got a much deserved win.

• Love 7

I wasn't a huge fan of her clothing on Road to the Runway or her own outfit for her closet/home videos, so I started poking around.  I was pleasantly surprised by some of the clothing in her shop.  For example this outfit involves a crop top on a big girl and the crop works really well to proportion out her body.  (And good for her for modeling her own clothes and being transparent about her measurements.)

• Love 2

I wasn't a huge fan of her clothing on Road to the Runway or her own outfit for her closet/home videos, so I started poking around.  I was pleasantly surprised by some of the clothing in her shop.  For example this outfit involves a crop top on a big girl and the crop works really well to proportion out her body.  (And good for her for modeling her own clothes and being transparent about her measurements.)

I'm impressed by her stuff too. I also like that items are priced so reasonably. 

• Love 1

A lot of plus size designers use vanity sizing. So even though I'm a 16/18 in most clothes, I could wear a 12 for an exclusively plus size designer. I have two buddies who are plus size designers and their fit models are size 18, but their size "12" will fit me.

• Love 2

A lot of plus size designers use vanity sizing. So even though I'm a 16/18 in most clothes, I could wear a 12 for an exclusively plus size designer. I have two buddies who are plus size designers and their fit models are size 18, but their size "12" will fit me.

Not just plus size designers. I'm fairly small and was wondering what size really thin people wear. Was in a J Crew a few weeks ago and they not only have a size 0 they have 000.

Geesh. Where will it end?

I like Ashley and am really impressed with her designs. Glad she won this round. Should be a huge confidence boost.

Or a production mis-direction.... those bastards.

• Love 3

I wish there was standard sizing in the industry overall. We all know how big or small we are, what's the point? In Costco (yeah that's what I wear) jeans, my Calvin Klein's are at least a full size larger than my Gloria Vanderbilt's, sometimes two.

And my nieces who are all running around in 2s or zero's are no smaller than I was at that age wearing size 5 or 7 (haha, remember the 5, 7, 9 Shop. I thought I was HUGE if I ever hit the size 9).

Anyway I guess this doesn't belong in Ashley's thread, I was just shocked to see a size 10 listed as a 1x, what's vanity in one direction is depressing when you look at it the other way around!

• Love 4

Dammit, Ashley, it's all your fault I'm watching this season.  I never ever thought I'd see my body type represented at all on Project Runway.  I hope you go far.

Seriously, if I had the money I'd kidnap her and throw out all my clothes (except the Ren Faire garb) and have her make me a new fun wardrobe.

• Love 2

I wasn't a huge fan of her clothing on Road to the Runway or her own outfit for her closet/home videos

If you mean the muted cranberry/blue/lavender top and aqua skirt that shows in the still frame capture for the video (on the PR website), I have to say that I couldn't believe how bad that looked. There are 3 main components to color.

Hue (the actual color)

Intensity (how pure or muted the color is)

Value (scale of light to dark)

I sometimes add a 4th (although technically, it could be considered part of the "Hue"):

Temperature - warm or cool tone.

(Different color systems use other terms for these concepts)

Ashley's home tour outfit:

Hue/temperature: Top- Cool cranberry, lavender and bluish print / Skirt- warmish aqua. = not harmonious

Intensity: Top- muted,greyed tones / Skirt - fairly bright and saturated = not harmonious

Value: close... I think... it's hard to see past how poorly the hues/intensity go together. Squinting at it (my test for when I can't just desaturate the color of an image into greyscale) the top and skirt appear to be about the same place on the light-dark scale, but I can't be sure

So the "Value" would be the only thing tying the top and skirt together in this outfit and it just doesn't work (for me) It might have worked if the skirt was a cooler toned shade. Or if it was more muted. Or if the print in the top was less muted. Or something. Maybe the reason it doesn't work for me is that the value isn't that close. Or because you need more than one aspect the same unless the colors are complimentary on the color wheel.

I don't know.. it just doesn't work

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

And my nieces who are all running around in 2s or zero's are no smaller than I was at that age wearing size 5 or 7 (haha, remember the 5, 7, 9 Shop. I thought I was HUGE if I ever hit the size 9).

When size 5/6 was the smallest you could find, I needed a 3/4. When 3/4 became available, I needed a 1/2. When 2's finally came out, I had gained a smidgen of weight and could wear them and didn't need a 0. (although I did have some size 0 pants that fit)

30 pounds (and years) later, I now wear a 4 although sometimes I still fit into a 2.

Unless we are talking about adult ballet and dance clothing in which I am a Large. (and even then the tights are too small!)

When I weighed 105 (at 5'5) I could fit perfectly into my mother's size 8-10 clothes from 1950.

The only thing that consistently makes sense is my shoe size!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 5

If you mean the muted cranberry/blue/lavender top and aqua skirt that shows in the still frame capture for the video (on the PR website), I have to say that I couldn't believe how bad that looked. There are 3 main components to color.

Maybe I instinctively reacted to all of that?  Either way, I love the analysis!

• Love 2

I think she's authentically sweet, which I overwhelmingly prefer to drama queens/kings. I also find her aesthetic interesting, with her knack for putting together unexpected color and print combinations, and her interest in making clothes that all women could conceivably wear.

I hope she does well, but when she stumbles she seems to really lose the thread (the "Flintstones" poncho in the greeting card challenge). And the previews show her crying and depressed, though that could be one moment of temporary despair plucked by the editors to enhance the drama factor.

Either way, I think being on the show is doing her some good, and I hope she gets further benefits from the exposure.

• Love 2

Sizes! Argh. 4'9" here and 30 lbs overweight, but i can fit in 4. When I'm at 99, I can actually wear children's clothing. I'm aging gracefully but this weight is killing me.

I totally understand all the confusion with the sizes. One store, I wear 8. Another, 4, another, 6 and then others 2. So annoying. Why can't we get a standard?

• Love 2

So, in one of the episode threads, a poster mentioned that this might be the first time 3 POC would be the top finalists listing Edmond, Swapnil and Ashley.  Is Ashley a person of color, I just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere other than that one post and now I'm curious??

From her family pictures I'm guessing she's got a varied ethnic/cultural background. Her grandmother who died recently looks Anglo, Dad looks maybe Hispanic (Latin American/Native/Spanish) or mixed that and something else, Mom looks mixed (light skinned black? maybe some Latina or Native American or something in there, too). Sort of southern Californian melting pot heritage, where you wouldn't necessarily single out one thing or the other as defining your identity, which in any event, in her case, has been overshadowed by her weight. .  

Edited by akr
  • Love 1

I agree with akr.  In "Road to the Runway", photos from her childhood make it appear she's Hispanic, or bi-racial. There's a small boy with her in one photo that looks Hispanic also. 

She may not be, but it looks that way to me. 

So, in one of the episode threads, a poster mentioned that this might be the first time 3 POC would be the top finalists listing Edmond, Swapnil and Ashley.  Is Ashley a person of color, I just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere other than that one post and now I'm curious??

I asked my husband what he thought (not that he is an authority of any sort at all), and he suggested Samoan or Tongan. Not on the basis of her dress size, but because of her face

Mr. Guilfoyle guessed latina. But he's also hispanic and from San Diego, so he might be biased. 

I snooped her instragram superficially and saw a note from someone with her last name (Tipton), first name Maricela, telling her to come home for some albondigas soup. So I'm gonna go with hispanic/latina.

I suspect the makeup color is from her contouring, which is a big thing right now (I have no idea how to do it,but I've seen youtube videos). But the specifics of her look make me think that's it (defined lips and brows, lots of cat eye eyeliner, etc).

• Love 1

Ashley seems to be melting....her hair is now going white on the ends...maybe she did not bring her lavender dye with her?

I am sorry but I hate the colors and prints she is using and the way she repeats herself. I hope they are not so PC to keep her around in sympathy to her weight issues. She should put some of her energy into finding good fabrics and making good choices rather than crying and whining.

• Love 1

I don't know anything about fashion or design but that fabric & pattern was hideous. It looked like fabric for pajamas that a little kid would (unfortunately) wear? It didn't even look mid end let alone high end. She should have been elimated. And, the constant crying and self doubt is so annoying. Grow a pair would you?! Jeez!

• Love 1

It's personal taste, I know, and I'm not criticizing her for not sharing my non-fashionable tastes.

I get you.

I think I was fashionable for about 20 minutes, back in the 80's.  The Preppy Handbook had just come out, and I went to Catholic school.  You know, pleated plaid skirts, Bass penny loafers and oxford cloth button-down shirts?  Then the trend passed, and I've been completely unfashionable since.  *LOL*

I'm going to have to watch Road to the Runway (I usually skip it) so I can see the looks Ashley created pre-Runway that got her in this competition. Because after that "dress the crew" challenge I will never, ever believe that she actually knows how to design for an (*insert all the judges' clunky euphemisms for fat*) woman beyond being willing to sew garments in larger sizes.

I am astonished at what Ashley created for the crew challenge. It seems that she doesn't have any sense of proportion or understanding that design trains the eye how to take in a look. Dressing A Large Woman 101: nothing too tight or too baggy, nothing that breaks the look up into sections, downplay the trouble spots while playing up the places where you want the eye to go. She did exactly the opposite: baggy bodice, tight skirt, hideous double-ruffled peplum that bulked up the client around the middle. The only type of figure that benefits from a peplum is a stick-straight, thin woman who wants a curvier appearance so you add extra fabric there to give the illusion of hips. 

I automatically assumed Ashley had certain types of garment down pat that she knows work for a full-figured woman (wrap dress, A-line dress, structured skirts with flared hems that balance out the hips) ... and that she would modify any of those go-to designs she's worked with in the past to fit the client's personality. I couldn't believe what she came up with. Hideous fabric or no, (and yeah it was hiiiiideous), the most unforgivable crimes she committed with that dress were the silhouette and the fit.

Somebody said in the episode thread that Ashley blew the chance to launch her brand in a big way. I don't think she blew it. She didn't choke. I don't think she ever knew how to successfully design for plus-sized women and was never really going to turn out that "wow, finally someone aced the Real Woman (ugh) Challenge" moment. 

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure Ashley is a lovely person and I think she still has plenty of time to learn and grow as a designer. But FFS, the one time they have a "designer for plus sizes" on the show and she has no effing idea how to design properly for a plus size. It's shameful.

• Love 5

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure Ashley is a lovely person and I think she still has plenty of time to learn and grow as a designer. But FFS, the one time they have a "designer for plus sizes" on the show and she has no effing idea how to design properly for a plus size. It's shameful.

Most of what she made looks like the same "Forever 21", mass-market junk made for size 4 females.  Few of her looks had flattering lines for a larger figure.  And sadly, her taste in prints is hideous.  On RTTR, it showed her sketching, and everything looked the same.  Box pleats and crop tops.  She simply does variations on the same themes, over and over. Much like Candice and her corset tops and mermaid skirts.  

• Love 2

I thought for sure Ashley was going home for the Avant-garde 3D Challenge. First off, it looked like something one of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders would have worn. The bridge 3D pieces looked like they were glued on and it didn't remind me of a bridge in any shape or form. Her pants looked great but their wasn't anything unusual or avant-garde about them. I'm so tired of her her always feeling lost and confused. I'm so,over her. Oddly enough, I wanted Merlene gone in Week 1 because she was too goofy for me. Now, either she calmed down or I'm used to her but I was sad to see her go.

• Love 5

whims, thank you for that link, but now I'm serious pissed off and sorry Ashley won, where I was "okay" with her win, while not over the moon about it....

Basically, she's saying if you don't like her WIN, you're anti PLUS SIZE, and I think she means both plus sized people AND fashions.

Also, how many times is she going to talk about how she made history and was groundbreaking? Now, I'm not buying the poor little downtrodden flower thing at all.

Yep. I'm sorry she won. Didn't care before, but she had to go and run her damn mouth.

• Love 7

I'm trying not to get that from it, because she says she hasn't read the feedback, so she's responding to second hand information. So what I thought she was saying was that people are accusing her of winning because she did a plus-size collection. And, to be fair, it's pretty clear that she has pretty much no ironic distance from her - um - unique esthetic, so you wouldn't expect her to doubt that she deserved the win once she got it.

My best case scenario is that she gets hired to put her name on inexpensive plus-sized clothes and the people she's working with teach her how to design and construct them.

• Love 1

Ashley really should know what the posters are saying if she's going to accuse us of prejudice.  She should know that a good number of the posts are from plus size women, who certainly are not anti-plus size anything.  We are entitled to think her collection is ugly and inappropriate.

• Love 11

Just watched. Oh pleaaaaassse! Ashley won? Are you serious? I thought it was fargone conclusion that Kelly was going to win especially when it came to the Final 2. Ashley annoyed me to no end with her constant crying. While she improved on the feedback from last week she still had an ugly collection. Kelly's was fun & funky. Edmund was classic. Candice was on the edge with maybe a little too much leather but very talented. No way! Ashley won? This is almost as bad as the season with the chick who won and everyone wore tan. I can't recall her name and I don't think we've heard from her since. Project Runway had an agenda and they wanted plus size to be the winner. I have no problem with plus sized but it could at least look expensive and fashionable. Wait! Ashley really won? I think I need to rewatch it again to make sure. See everyone next season.

• Love 1

It seems to me that, not only are the reactions insisting that any criticism 'anti-fat' or whatever but basically caused by Ashley's thin skin and low self esteem but are also based on the fact that no one likes to hear that the work they've done--and been rewarded for--isn't appreciated or liked. The unfortunate reality is that if you put yourself and your work out in the public not everyone will fall at your feet, especially with the anonymity of the internet.

Beyond that, Ashley set herself up to be bashed with her constant crying and various appeals for people to feel sorry for her. Aside from cute abandoned kittens and small children and the like, weakness generally makes folks uncomfortable. Sorry, Ashley--'you can't stand the heat? Stay out of the kitchen and that's not meant to be mean--that's simply good advice.

Broadway shows close all the time due to bad reviews (earned or otherwise), clothing lines don't always sell and there will always be those who think they know better--and sometimes, in fact, do. When and if her designs are picked up by a retailer and actually sell, then she'll have proved everyone who didn't like her stuff wrong. Till then, buckle down and make it work.

• Love 2

She called her collection wearable?

Did she see it come down the runway with its glued on flowers, uneven hems, ill-fitting tops and exposed granny pants? Please.

ETA If she thinks it so wearable why did she not dress herself that way?

Oddly, though, it looked like at least one of Swapnil's designs also had visible granny pants.

I hope that's not a new "thing".

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Even, when Ashley had a chance to design for a "normal" (crew person) model she had the worst designs. It's 24 hours later and I still can't believe Ashley won. This finale ruined the who season for me but I'll still watch next season. It's my guilty pleasure.

• Love 1

Did she see it come down the runway with its glued on flowers, uneven hems, ill-fitting tops and exposed granny pants? Please.

Oddly, though, it looked like at least one of Swapnil's designs also had visible granny pants.

Setting aside their mutual commitment to granny pants :) , you captured my biggest objection to her win - and Swapnil is a perfect contrast. One appeared to be (and undoubtedly was) impeccably made. One , not so much.  The latter won.

Whether it shows lack of skill, lack of attention to details that make designs great, having no pride of presentation - whatever - it cheapens both her win and the integrity of the franchise. If it has any anymore.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I personnel belief Ashley was exposed as a fraud during the real woman challenge. She had no idea how to design for a normal size woman. I know that she was tired but I find that a lousy excuse. Everyone has been in a position of being tired and uncomfortable with their surroundings. Getting to a comfort zone usually rejuvenates a person. Ashley should have been shouting for joy but she still couldn't come up with a decent outfit. I think that was when I was truely done with her.

• Love 5

Visible granny panties are not a new thing. They are an old thing. I would say at least 2 or 3 years old on the red carpet. They are getting a little played out at this point. Her use of crop tops and cut outs is still on trend.

• Love 1

Setting aside their mutual commitment to granny pants :) , you captured my biggest objection to her win - and Swapnil is a perfect contrast. One appeared to be (and undoubtedly was) impeccably made. One , not so much.  The latter won.

Whether it shows lack of skill, lack of attention to details that make designs great, having no pride of presentation - whatever - it cheapens both her win and the integrity of the franchise. If it has any anymore.

But, I have to wonder how much added time Swapnil had to finesse the details. Like actually sewing hems etc. It's been posited that Swapnil might have had a finished collection ready to walk. That said, I'm sure he would not have sent unfinished pieces down the runway.

And I also have to wonder just how much extra time would be required for Ashley to fine tune her designs. If she even can.

Her basic errors were so very obvious on the runway. Some of that, imho, has to be that she doesn't really have the necessary skill set.

Kelly wuz robbed. imho

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3
But, I have to wonder how much added time Swapnil had to finesse the details. Like actually sewing hems etc. It's been posited that Swapnil might have had a finished collection ready to walk.

Does anyone know if the eliminated designers are still sequestered for the duration?  If so, Swapnil would not have had any extra time to actually do any sewing.  Any of the designers could have a collection all ready to walk too, given they had the financial resources.  Anyone going on this show who doesn't already have their collection all scoped out at least on paper is nuts, IMO.  I'd have patterns made and fabrics selected if not purchased.

Does anyone know if the eliminated designers are still sequestered for the duration? If so, Swapnil would not have had any extra time to actually do any sewing. Any of the designers could have a collection all ready to walk too, given they had the financial resources. Anyone going on this show who doesn't already have their collection all scoped out at least on paper is nuts, IMO. I'd have patterns made and fabrics selected if not purchased.

You bring up an interesting point.

Where do the decoy collections come from? Previous work? The designers continue working while/if sequestered? They bring a collection?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Interesting, to me, that I am seeing fewer "backlash to winner of PR on social media" on my more recent google searches. I think there were a lot more of them higher up the finds earlier today.

Edited by NewDigs