Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Improv

• Start Topic

In the Mentor Challenge, the Finalists are tasked with creating and presenting an enticing pizza with kicked-up flavors for Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay, and guest judges Duff Goldman and Darin Harris, CEO of CiCi's Pizza. In the Star Challenge, Bobby and guest David Alan Grier randomly assign each Finalist several criteria for their dishes, which they'll present in a demo for a crowd filled with food and comedy fans. Susie Fogelson and Bob Tuschman assist Giada and Bobby in eliminating the least successful Finalist.

"Talking to a camera has been a nightmare to me!" -- Dom, while talking to a camera, on a show that's all about talking to a camera, trying to get a show that's about talking to a camera.

I love Eddie.

Bye, Emilia. I didn't know that "swinging for the fences" meant you had to be a rude jerk. 

• Love 16

I got a call when Emilia was on.  What exactly did she do?

It can't be worse than Alex who cursed his way through it.

She did rude imitations of the others. Sashaying as "Arnold the drag queen, who spends so much time talking he forgets to cook his food...." and similar comments about Dom hiding from the camera and Jay being a cajun.

• Love 1

I haven't watched this for a few weeks and I see I haven't really missed anything. Emilia was awful. Nasty and unfunny is a terrible combination. And she's an alpha female? Shut up.

I love David Allan Grier and I was sad that he has been reduced to appearing on this crapfest. And rip off Top Chef Chicago's Improv Challenge, much?

Giada is ridiculous.

• Love 4

Emilia, that wasn't taking a risk, that was being stupid. How can Food Network trust someone who dishes dirt on colleagues? Those FN people may not all like each other, but they keep their lips zipped about each other.

• Love 14

Eddie for the win. I like him a lot.

Okay producers, enough with Dom is afraid of the camera. I'm getting the feeling it's manufactured.

And hello FN wardrobe - Medussa has the boob peekaboo dress this week?

• Love 6

I wanted Emilia, Alex, and Dom to all go home. They're all painful to watch. How does Dom do such good TH's and such crappy presentations? How does Alex keep making the same mistakes every time he opens his mouth and how does he not learn from the consistent constructive criticism? How does Emilia have a different bad persona every week? And how did any of them get cast in the first place?

Also, we're now down to 5 men and 1 woman. Let me make a wild prediction that the winner will be a man.

• Love 19

I will have to catch it whenever On Demand has it up.  It sounds like she was going for a laugh, not being nasty.

Oh well, she was the only good female candidate left.  Michelle just grates.  She had that hair pulled forward over her shoulder and the food tonight.  Why would she think that was a good thing?

(edited)

As soon as Emilia started her "impression" of Arnold I paused the tv so I could fast forward. I knew it was going to be really bad.

Dom getting chance after chance is annoying me now. Cannot believe Michelle is the last woman standing. WTF?

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
  • Love 5
(edited)

Random trivia:  Any fans of America's Next Top Model from way back when?  Umeboshi was the food Yaya spit out in Tokyo during their commercial.  The judges found that totally disrespectful. Tyra told her to get some humble pie.  Fast.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 10

I will have to catch it whenever On Demand has it up.  It sounds like she was going for a laugh, not being nasty.

Oh well, she was the only good female candidate left.  Michelle just grates.  She had that hair pulled forward over her shoulder and the food tonight.  Why would she think that was a good thing?

It was unpleasant to listen to; it came across as mocking personal jabs, rather than playful teasing. She made a painful miscalculation that really hurt her, and she doesn't have the comedic chops or timing to pull that off in a way that would make people say "Oh, that Emilia! She's so edgy, but I still like 'er!" 

Anyway, doesn't she know she's supposed to keep the snark for the talking heads? ;)

• Love 6

Random trivia: Any fans of America's Next Top Model from way back when? Umeboshi was the food Yaya spit out in Tokyo during their commercial. Tyra told her to get some humble pie. Fast.

I remember! That's where I first heard of umeboshi.

To the poster questioning the authenticity of Dom's discomfort in front of the camera - you're not alone. It doesn't make sense given his poised and personable talking heads.

• Love 6
(edited)

Jay, the Billy Mays of cooking competition shows, is the fakiest fake who ever faked. And yet he's somehow less annoying than Dom and his tongue-tied-ness. Dom was just excruciating to watch this week, as much so as Alex and almost as much as Emilia. Why is he still there?

Pro tip, Emilia: if you're want the audience to go along with you when you're being "edgy," it helps to be witty, or funny. You were far from either.

Edited by mauras
  • Love 3

The talking heads are just him and the production assistant asking him questions. He doesn't have to think on his feet. The questions are fed to him and he answers. On stage, he has to think....and talk....and make stuff up. He can't do that. He will never do that....Bobby.... stop trying to make Dom happen.

• Love 9

Emilia deserved to be eliminated for that! She's on Food Network, not Rupaul's Drag Race; the challenge wasn't to read her fellow contestants. I liked her prior to that, but if that's her true personality, I don't want it on my TV.

I, too, am tired of the "Dom gets nervous on camera" storyline. As mentioned above, what is he doing on this show if he can't be comfortable presenting food? And if it's all manufactured, then that's even worse to me.

Jay shouts too much, but meh...he's no worse than Guy Fieri in that respect, and Food Network looooves Guy. I could do without both Jay and Guy, but I'm not offended by either of them, so...

With Michelle the last woman standing, I fully expect that either A) she'll make it to the final three or B) the LCK winner will be female and make it to the final three. I don't believe for a minute that the final three will be all men.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree that Emilia showed really bad judgment, but I believe that a guy on this show would have gotten away with it. Told he made a mistake, but not booted off because of it. I think there's a real double standard on this show, where a guy can flirt with being outrageous or even in bad taste and TPTB will wink at it. But women contestants are supposed to be sweet and nice and completely non-threatening and non-controversial.

Hence the last woman standing this year is Michelle, who keeps cooking really bland, safe food and making every presentation about being a Mommy. Which is apparently what FN thinks its viewers want from a female TV personality. Because every week they give Michelle a pass, whether she serves raw chicken, or tonight, spends the last half minute of her on-camera presentation chewing. That was a "solid job?"

It really bugs that she's the last woman left this year, when there were others who had way more personality and food chops. And now I fear they will need to keep her around for at least a few more weeks in order for it to not be all men. And each week I can see her becoming more insufferable.

Although he's apparently a good cook, Dom should've been sent home. He walked off the set yet again.  It's becoming a running joke. And didn't he completely ignore the fact that he was supposed to tell a story about himself at age 5? The judges never even mentioned that. So, like Michelle, week after week he gets a free pass.

PS - I actually thought Emilia's line about Jay selling you a car was pretty funny, and on the mark. He does seem to have all the sincerity of a used car salesman.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 12

I got a call when Emilia was on.  What exactly did she do?

It can't be worse than Alex who cursed his way through it.

Well, actually, it can.... Who knew Leona Helmsley was going to disguise herself as Emilia and show up at FNS??

Okay, here are my personal headlines...

Susie Wears the Booby Dress

Clearly, she borrowed it from Giada.  Is someone at FN telling these women that this is the "in" look??  Hard to believe they'd have made the same tasteless choice independent of each other.

Bobby Flay's Pants are on Fire

....As in "Liar, Liar."  I seem to recall his telling Dom last week that either he had to bring it this week, or he was going home.  He didn't bring it.  He's still here.

Bob Tuschman Does His Annual "Horrified" Prissy Face

It seems like each year, someone says something inappropriate while Bob is sitting there, which is subsequently followed by Bob looking as if he'd just seen a poopy diaper.  I understand saying "dick" on FN is inappropriate, but Tuschman reads to me like the first Jewish boy raised in a convent.

Eddie Wins the Pizza Challenge By Making a Fruit Beignet

Did anyone else see the pizza "inspired by" Eddie's winning dish on the Cici's ad that ran towards the end of the hour?  Did anyone else think they'd never seen that pizza in the ad before??  I love Eddie Jacks, and his pizza presentation was clearly the best, but if I were the dude from Cici's, I would have put Dom's pizza on the menu instead.  And then promptly sent him home.

• Love 6

I agree that Emilia showed really bad judgment, but I believe that a guy on this show would have gotten away with it. Told he made a mistake, but not booted off because of it.

Not necessarily. If a guy had been making fun of women, his butt would be out the door. If Emilia had included Michelle in her little stunt.... well, no, even that would have been too much. It was the mean-spiritedness with which she delivered it that really made me uncomfortable. If she had come up with some little funny thing that each person does... such as "Oh that Arnold, did you know he likes to sing when we're all together and by gosh... he can't carry a note!" or "Jay is so funny, blah blah blah...." But she went below the belt and pointed out weaknesses or things she thought might shock the audience.

Did anyone else see the pizza "inspired by" Eddie's winning dish on the Cici's ad that ran towards the end of the hour?  Did anyone else think they'd never seen that pizza in the ad before??

They will take whatever someone makes and customize it for their own needs. One year, a girl named Kelsey won a Red Lobster challenge with a fish dish she created. I tried it when I was there and it was on the menu. It looked NOTHING like what she put out, but it tasted really good. There is also a show where contestants come in and pitch their food idea to a nationwide restaurant chain, something that they think would be great on the menu. It never looks the same. Ever. But I'm sure it tastes fantastic.

• Love 3

Why did Eddie's dessert pizza look like the dough wasn't even cooked?  I mean he didn't even roll out the dough, it was like he just plopped it on the pan then put his toppings on.  

How in the hell did Michelle not incorporate the Friday pizza night w/ her kids during her presentation....duh.

Oh Emilia you stupid idiot...if you hadn't decided to shoot yourself in the foot w/that stupid routine it would have been Dom...or would it?  I agree w/ the poster upthread, nothing about what she said was funny, it was biting and made her seem very bitter.  Like Arnold said, know your audience idiot....did she really think that would appeal to Suzie and Bob?

Yeah Arnold, what Emilia said was rude, but let's face it she was speaking the truth about you being all concerned about presentation that you forget to cook your food.

Why did Bobby give that ultimatum to Dom last week if he didn't stand behind it?  He was all about saving Dom this week after basically saying if you end up in the bottom again you are gone.  He left the damn stage after what, two minutes....half of that was drinking water and chewing his duck.  I have a strong feeling that Dom will be in the bottom the rest of the season but still be in the final two on the last episode.

This episode made me miss Bob and Suzie as regular judges, let's correct that for the rest of the season and all season from here on out.

Emilia was probably thinking "Go big or go home." Instead it turned out to be "Go big AND go home." 

At least it seemed like everyone's food in the improv challenge was pretty good. 

For the CiCi's challenge-- I wonder if they had any expensive or exotic ingredients available to them. Because you know that there's no way they'd ever have something like Truffle and Caviar pizza at a low-end buffet place like CiCi's. 

• Love 3

Alex should have been kicked off for the foul language.  They should have stopped right then and sent him on his way.  It would not have mattered what anyone else did.  It was not just one word like Eddie saying he made "darn" good pizza.  

It is too bad they good rid of Emilia.  I guess she goes on to Star Salvation though.

Not necessarily. If a guy had been making fun of women, his butt would be out the door. 

Snippy Arnold has made fun of everyone else all season though, like he thinks he is somehow better than them.  And Michelle has had the Mean Girl vibe going strong.

Alex should have been kicked off for the foul language.  They should have stopped right then and sent him on his way.  It would not have mattered what anyone else did.  It was not just one word like Eddie saying he made "darn" good pizza.  

It is too bad they good rid of Emilia.  I guess she goes on to Star Salvation though.

Snippy Arnold has made fun of everyone else all season though, like he thinks he is somehow better than them.  And Michelle has had the Mean Girl vibe going strong.

Have you watched the episode yet on On Demand, as you mentioned earlier?

I think Emilia's little schtick tonight was the most cringeworthy thing I've seen on this show to date.  I think this even takes the cake over Aaron McCargo's not-funny pratfall and dumb remarks to the troops.  WTF with calling Arnold a "Drag Queen"?  Seriously?  Not even funny even if maybe he did deserve it a little bit.

Maybe it was me but after a while David Alan Grier was bugging me with all the asides to Eddie and another black guy in the audience.  I thought it was all tongue in cheek and done for laughs but after a while he went overboard with it, IMO.  And I usually love him.

I have been saying that Eddie, Michelle and Jay would be in the finals and it's looking more like that every day.  I think they'll keep Dom around until everyone wants to reach through the TV and push him out the door themselves.  Either that or he will be the "miracle boy" who turns around and suddenly gets a clue about how to present himself on camera.  I still say it's too bad he's such a bonehead because he has potential.  I can understand the judges' frustration with him but reluctance to let him go.  I think Sandwich guy's days are numbered.  He could have gone home tonight if not for Emilia's embarrassing little routine.  Ugh, even thinking about that gives me the creeps.

• Love 5
(edited)

There is absolutely no reason why Dom should still be on this show. (If he's for real and it's not a manufactured act, as others have suggested.) I've worked in TV and video production for over 20 years (behind the camera) and have seen many types of people attempt to do on-camera work. It's really something that pretty much has to come naturally to someone. It's tough to learn how to be natural and relaxed in front of the camera, especially not in the few weeks it takes to shoot this show. I've seen people improve their on-camera presence, but it's sometimes a pretty long process. There is no way he's going to learn this. He's awful. (Unless this is scripted and all of a sudden he turns into a super TV personality at the flip of a switch.)

Don't the contestants have to submit an audition tape? I can't imagine Dom's performance being something that would get him cast on this show.

Emilia's act seemed fake to me. I almost wonder if it was scripted.

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 3
(edited)

WTF with calling Arnold a "Drag Queen"?  Seriously?

Arnold is a drag queen, he has mentioned this from the very first episode this season and said he wants to incorporate his drag persona into his show if he should win.  It's nothing new to us, to the audience at the demo yes, but it's not like she outed that Arnold does drag to America.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

There is absolutely no reason why Dom should still be on this show. (If he's for real and it's not a manufactured act, as others have suggested.) I've worked in TV and video production for over 20 years (behind the camera) and have seen many types of people attempt to do on-camera work. It's really something that pretty much has to come naturally to someone. It's tough to learn how to be natural and relaxed in front of the camera, especially not in the few weeks it takes to shoot this show. I've seen people improve their on-camera presence, but it's sometimes a pretty long process. There is no way he's going to learn this. He's awful. (Unless this is scripted and all of a sudden he turns into a super TV personality at the flip of a switch.)

Don't the contestants have to submit an audition tape? I can't imagine Dom's performance being something that would get him cast on this show.

Emilia's act seemed fake to me. I almost wonder if it was scripted.

They shoot one episode per week (ETA, I looked back at the emails and it's about every 4-5 days). I was trying to be an audience member and the dates they gave me were spread out a week apart. And yes, everyone submits a tape. But I think Dom is good as long as he's rehearsed. Or answering questions. When he has to think and act quickly, he freezes. And walks away.

They shoot one episode per week (ETA, I looked back at the emails and it's about every 4-5 days). I was trying to be an audience member and the dates they gave me were spread out a week apart. And yes, everyone submits a tape. But I think Dom is good as long as he's rehearsed. Or answering questions. When he has to think and act quickly, he freezes. And walks away.

He may be better when he's not being judged.  Some people are natural only when they don't think they're being graded or potentially sent home.  I think they may see Dom as one of those and that's why they keep saving him.  Only I think he may just have a bad case of stage fright that he's unable to overcome.  Or both.

• Love 2

Why the heck was David Alan Grier there? He did next to nothing.

I'm glad Emelia got sent home. I suppose she could have thought she was being funny but I got the feeling she was trying to stick the knife in as deep as possible. And then saying the rest of them were afraid of her. I rolled my eyes so hard my headache went away. Did she ever end up on top?

Hopefully Dom will go next week. I think he would have left this week if Emelia hadn't tried to do her impression of Lisa Lampanelli. I don't think I can hear him say he hates being in front of the camera one more time before I throw something through the television. He must have an ulterior motive for being there. Does he think Bobby and Giada are going to be so wowed by his cooking they just hand him a restaurant?

I wish I liked Eddie as much as everyone else. I want someone to root for. For me he's the used car salesman not Jay. Does anyone know how far he got on MasterChef?

• Love 3

Arnold is a drag queen, he has mentioned this from the very first episode this season and said he wants to incorporate his drag persona into his show if he should win.  It's nothing new to us, to the audience at the demo yes, but it's not like she outed that Arnold does drag to America.

He must have only mentioned it briefly because I completely missed it.  Then again I tend to tune him out when he does his talking heads.  I can just see it now, he can replace Tyler Florence in a new show co-hosted with Ru Paul called "Arnold's Great Food Truck Drag Race".  I think I was better off not imagining that.

• Love 1

Snarklepuss, you can find Arnold's alter ego Suzy Wong's entertaining videos on YouTube. I actually prefer Suzy to Arnold. Much better on camera and makes some killer cocktails. :)

OMG, I just watched a couple of videos and you're right, he is much better!  Too bad they couldn't let him compete on this show as Suzy, he would kill it!  I could see him do a show on the Cooking Channel over FN, though.  His show would be schticky like "Bitchin" Kitchen" was.

• Love 1

Since when is Cici's real pizza? Guess the show is too low brow for PIzza Hut?

I'd watch a Dom show just to time the dead air and minutes spent running from the camera.

Amelia, you are not an alpha female, just a nasty loser.

This isn't entertaining and I wouldn't watch any of these people on a real show.

• Love 1

Oh my god -  I just watched, and Emelia was horrible!!!!!! 

I read here, and I didn't think it was possible to be as bad as you guys were posting, but lord, it was worse! 

Dom finally figured out how to do a 1 minute presentation, only he did it when the task was to talk for 4 minutes.

• Love 9

Dom blew the first challenge of the night when he was unable to describe his pizza, of all things, to the judges (and CiCi's guy).  Then, he blew the second challenge by apparently not speaking at all for 3 of his 4 minute presentation.  He should have been escorted out the door immediately, without wasting time on the final judging portion.

He's interviewing for a job presenting on TV, and he's woefully unable to do that job.

Emilia's presentation was so embarrassing that I wanted to hit the Mute button.  I HATE watching people melt down like that in public.  I wished they'd shown the other contestants confronting her after her "performance".

• Love 3

"my homeland of Southeast Asia".  Rather non-specific, there, Arnold.

Alex needs to give up on the sandwich point of view, he isn't doing that at all.  He actually has a pretty eclectic outlook.

Ugh, Eddie was pandering by name checking the pizza place.

I thought Michelle was Armenian.  Now she's Mediterranean?

This was an interesting challenge.as far as the food was concerned, but the story crap is boring, I don't want to HEAR stories, dammi!

What word did Alex use?

Amelia went bitch mode, didn't she? And what was she wearing in the critique?  That shirt should not have had lettering on it.

Giada has the hots for Alex, too, hm?

I knew Amelia was going home when she was up against Alex and Dom.

• Love 1

Emilia was horrible but Dom still should have been kicked to the curb.  Unless he's faking it on producers' orders, he is wholly unsuited to this job. Emilia tried to be funny and failed miserably.  Dom just tried to run away from his job of presenting on stage.  That said, Emilia's performance precluded her from ever getting the win so I can't feel too too bad about her leaving now.

Did anyone else notice how hard Bobby and Giada were arguing against Michelle? Every time Kermit and Medusa said anything nice about her, Bobbie or Giada immediately dissed her.

That was bizarre.  I don't have a problem with Emelia's schtick, it's just that it totally doesn't mesh with ANY freaking edit we've seen of her so far.  She's been the boring teacher for weeks now and all of sudden words like "alpha female" and "taking risks" are spewing out of her mouth?  I didn't get anything aggressive from her so far....for her to go out and bomb impersonations out of character seemed ridiculous.  She doesn't have comedic timing and the way she was dressed didn't match her POV (this week) either.

Medusa needs a makeover.  Dress no.  Hair no.  Scowl no.

Alex is sooooo boring.  They should have booted him.  He's a walking yawn.  I'd keep Dom around for the fun factor.....you pretty much know he's going to mess up each week so at least the edit is clear.  Next week will be a 6 minute presentation except he'll only practice up to 3 minutes and walk off and we'll all just snicker and try to figure out why this guy can't babble.

Michelle's food is so boring.  and "mediterranean mamma" just made me cringe.  I use olives and capers already, thanks.

Time to go to bed in my home in northern north america.

• Love 6

Bob Tuschman Does His Annual "Horrified" Prissy Face

The producers used the same reaction shot of Tuschman three times in the episode. (The dick comment, Emilia and another time I can't remember.)

David Alan Grier may have been joking, but Eddie really did get the easiest "basket" for the challenge. And what was the deal with his pizza? Did he do anything to the dough to make it more like a dessert? Because it looked under cooked and was two inches thick.

For some posititvity, I liked Giada's fashion choices this week. Loved the skirt she wore for the pizza challenged! And Alex is now wearing a bandanna when he cooks. I wonder if it was his idea, or did one of the other contestants let him know that constantly tucking your hair behind your ear looks nasty when you are cooking?

• Love 3

Dom kept referring to his pizza as "Dominooch" during the prep and I was concerned that he was going to mention it during his presentation. I don't think evoking a competitive pizza restaurant's name would have gone over too well with Mr. Cici's.

• Love 1

Well, that was dire.  I'm reminded of a comment of Alton's from one of the early seasons, (paraphrasing)"Can we just send this lot home and start again?" 

Some of them (Michelle, Emilia, Dom) were just hard to watch, and some of them (Arnold, Alex) were boring. I take no pleasure from watching people embarrass themselves in public (that's one reason I never go to karaoke nights), and I was cringing at most of these people who have made it half-way through the competition. 

A couple of thoughts on Emilia: first, she might have done better had she taken a couple of gentle, good-humored shots at Bobby or Giada rather than her fellow contestants.  Second: I wish we'd had more camera footage of her return to the Green room and her fellow competitors...

All in all, not the best night of television this series has seen.

• Love 4

Michelle, you are dead to me. When I heard her refer to herself as the "Mediterranean Mama" that ended any like I could possibly have for her. Mediterranean mama is what (I apologize in advance for saying these words) Penny Davidi called herself, so no, Michelle, you no longer exist.

Is Dom going to have to throw up on camera before they eliminate him?

Emilia, you may be a strong woman, but you're also a stupid one.

• Love 14
(edited)

This is Eddie's to lose. He is definitely the front runner. He rocked both challenges. I want him to win, his island style is a bit different than most of the white bread southern chefs that the FN seems to favor.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 6

I feel like the producers are trying make the audience see Dom as charming, when he is definitely not. It's like they are over using his "aw shucks, I'm shy" shtick way too much. He isn't endearing and he is a waste of space. They should kick Dom off and bring back Rue. She didn't do well most of the time, but she could definitely improve.

I see Dom as annoying and having no business on this show. If you hate public speaking and cameras so much, why sign up in the first place?

• Love 3

Wow, and to think I was rooting for Emilia. Not any more!  What a rude,  nasty, unfunny person. If she makes it through Star Salvation I'll be curious to see what her other competitors end up thinking of her when they end up there too.

I really wish they'd get rid of Dom, too.  Alex I'm kind of "meh" about but I didn't like all his cursing during his presentation. I'm not a prude or anything, but sheesh, not appropriate for Food Network.  They could seriously have done multiple eliminations several times so far this season, but tonight might have been the strongest argument for it.

I'm really not too sure who to root for anymore. I suppose Eddie?

• Love 1

Is Dom going to have to throw up on camera before they eliminate him?

Yes. And crap his pants.

That's when we'll see Tuschman make the most awful, screwed up, horrified prissy face in the history of the network. And they'll do it in slo-mo, with a loud roaring "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" slowly coming out of his mouth.

• Love 6

Random trivia: Any fans of America's Next Top Model from way back when? Umeboshi was the food Yaya spit out in Tokyo during their commercial. The judges found that totally disrespectful. Tyra told her to get some humble pie. Fast.

Umeboshi also came up on an episode of Robert Irvine's Dinner: Impossible a few years ago. He was supposed to cook the meal served at the Winner's Banquet following that year's National Spelling Bee & he had to use 1 ingredient starting with each letter of the alphabet in the overall meal. He got Umeboshi for the letter U.

• Love 1