Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Chock and Bates could have a great season....

Translation of the L'Equipe tweet:

A break year for Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron The Olympic ice dancing champions have decided not to compete next season. The French couple announces and explains this decision. 

The linked article was for subscribers only, but here it is: 

https://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Article/Une-annee-de-break-pour-gabriella-papadakis-et-guillaume-cizeron/1339387 

Edited by justmehere
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Can someone tell me, how do I tell Twitter to stop sending me "recommended tweets" written by Hanyu's insane fanbase? I don't want to read their thoughts and I'm tired of getting emails with their rabid weirdness in them. I've only ever clicked on one or two--can I flip a switch or de-list them or something?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Can someone tell me, how do I tell Twitter to stop sending me "recommended tweets" written by Hanyu's insane fanbase? I don't want to read their thoughts and I'm tired of getting emails with their rabid weirdness in them. I've only ever clicked on one or two--can I flip a switch or de-list them or something?

I don't know how to change what is recommended, but you could turn off those emails in general (I don't know how you use twitter, but I don't get any emails and definitely wouldn't like getting those tweets either!).

The one thing I'm not looking forward to this new season is a lot of sliding on the ice. Remember when "dying" on the ice got so out of control that they had to ban it? That was back in the 90's. One thing I am looking forward to seeing is that extra jump that the male partner will do (a la Charlie White). Isn't it going to be required? 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

One thing I am looking forward to seeing is that extra jump that the male partner will do (a la Charlie White). Isn't it going to be required? 

Either partner can do it but yes it’s required for the free dance. 

• Like 2

Kwan's speech at the induction ceremony for the US Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame. I read last night they'll be inducting people every two years now instead of the haphazard way they've been doing it.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I hope these Russians aren't as good as our up & coming teams. Just the thought of ramen head's daughter & her husband, standing atop the podium at US nationals makes me want to throw up. 

I'd put them on par with Green and Parsons. Maybe. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I am sure they will do well, esp if Eteri has brought her minions, PEDs and her money (doesn't she get something like 40% from all her former and current skaters' shows n stuff)?

I'm curious, is Eteri going to leave Sambo-70 and coach outside of Russia for the next quad? With the age requirement changing for the 2026 Olympics, her current crop of juniors would have had to course correct anyway to ensure they peak at the right time.

Edited by absnow54
  • Like 1

I think that it won’t really matter to the Russians/eteri about the age increase.  They will  probably give them drugs to delay their puberty.  Sorry, but I’m so angry at Eteri for how she has treated her skaters.  I know she is not the only one, but it’s been so obvious for years, and no one has done anything about it.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Maybe MIDA with Greg Zuerlein and the Whites?

Didn't Greg briefly coach at WISA? If that's the case, I could see them wanting to train with someone they're already familiar with. Plus, Caroline has talked about plans for college, so it would make sense for them to choose Michigan.

On the other hand, I'd love to see what a powerful school like IAM could do with them.

• Love 1
On 6/25/2022 at 11:14 AM, Mirabelle said:

Kwan's speech at the induction ceremony for the US Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame. I read last night they'll be inducting people every two years now instead of the haphazard way they've been doing it.

Thank you for posting this. My all time favorite skater. Not a very original statement, I'm sure. How I miss her!!

And what a lovely speech.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Olympic Channel is being taken down. Watching figure skating has never been the same since ABC dropped it. The camera work was always top rate (thanks, Dick!) and we had ESPN, plus USA? plus TBS showing different disciplines in competition. 

• Sad 6

USA is affiliated with NBC and will still be showing figure skating (they had much of this past Worlds). I don't recall figure skating ever being on TBS (though if it was 20+ years ago I wouldn't have noticed), and I definitely don't think they've ever been affiliated with ABC or ESPN.

2 minutes ago, redpencil said:

Right, but I don't think that included USA or TBS?

Not USA. I think TBS came on board when CBS was doing the lion's share of the broadcasting. I do remember seeing something on cable back then, like Skate America? For some reason, I am thinking of Slutskaya. 

When I began to focus on figure skating (1984 Olympics) ABC broadcast the competitions. The last few years ABC covered fs, they had ESPN cover some parts of the Olympics. I don't remember CBS covering fs.  ABC was known as a sports broadcaster (Wide World of Sports) & their on-ice coverage of skating was excellent. We didn't have to endure those overhead shots or long views when skaters are halfway down the rink, executing some type of lift or spin that we can barely see. 

• Love 2

CBS had a lot of figure skating related programming during the years they lost the rights to air NFL games  in the 90's. I remember the Nationals and Worlds being on ABC for years until they moved to NBC in 2007. I had to look up the exact year the move happened. It doesn't feel like the change in networks was that long ago. I think TBS used to air Stars on Ice and possibly other professional skating stuff when there seemed to be an overflow of content during the years figure skating made a resurgence due in large part to the "Why Me?!?" attack. 

Here's a clip from a TBS airing of SOI which made me tear up a bit because it made me remember how my Mom and I would love watching it on TV each year. The tour never came to any city near where we lived. She died a few years ago and watching all the figure skating on TV in the 90's was something that we really enjoyed and made us remember my Nana. I miss the SOI shows not being televised anymore. I get that revenue is probably a big part of why it stopped.

Sorry for the sappy family history included in my post.

• Hugs 3
  • Love 5

I looked up TNT and found this on the "TNT Olympics Broadcasts" wiki page.

While CBS was the American over-the-air television broadcaster for the 1992, 1994, and 1998 Winter Games, cable coverage was supplemented by TNT. The 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville gave TNT 50 hours of programming in exchange for $50 million towards rights fees. This in return, allowed CBS to reduce their financial outlay by joining forces with TNT. TNT aired events under the promotional slogan "The ultimate daytime drama." Nick Charles and Fred Hickman hosted the coverage from Turner's Atlanta studios in 1992 and 1994, while Jim Lampley was the host in 1998.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The (ABC) camera work was always top rate (thanks, Dick!)

I hate to have to correct you, Annzeepark914, but IIRC the Buttonism was “first rate.” :-)

And, yes, the ABC coverage was always excellent.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I hate to have to correct you, Annzeepark914, but IIRC the Buttonism was “first rate.” :-)

And, yes, the ABC coverage was always excellent.

You are so right! God, I miss Dick B. He taught me what to look for, especially in a layback spin. One time he said, "If not done properly, it looks like a broken leg".  I wonder what he thinks about figure skating today.

• Love 3
Just now, annzeepark914 said:

You are so right! God, I miss Dick B. He taught me what to look for, especially in a layback spin. One time he said, "If not done properly, it looks like a broken leg".  I wonder what he thinks about figure skating today.

I loved Dick's commentary. I didn't always appreciate it when I was younger but I grew to love it over the years and especially appreciate it in retrospect. It definitely helped too that we had the same taste in terms of favorite skaters. 

Does anyone remember when Totmianina (sp?) and Marinin had that wardrobe malfunction and Dick started laughing his ass off while trying (and failing) not to? One of my favorite Uncle Dick moments. 

I do remember feeling bad for Nicole Bobek once when Dick said that she was "out of shape" at the Goodwill Games. I don't think he was talking about her weight so much as the fact that she clearly hadn't been training but it had to sting all the same. 

One thing with Dick that was always odd to me was when he'd call a two footed jump a "double footing". 

Peggy Fleming didn't have much substance but I have to admit that I prefer Dick and Peggy's commentary to Johnny and Tara's. Not that I dislike Johnny and Tara, I just think I preferred their earlier commentary. Right now Polina Edmunds is my favorite current skating commentator. She's informed, she talks about a wide range of issues and she doesn't have to self censor because of NBC. 

I know TSL isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like that they are so passionate about the sport. It feels like there are fewer and fewer people every year who care enough about skating to discuss it in depth, so I appreciate what Dave and Jonathan bring to the party.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

For such an erudite fella 🧐 Dick messed up royally with his comment about Nicole. On the other hand, I recall reading somewhere that some skaters listened to his critiques of their skating and worked on whatever he pointed out as needing improvement (especially those layback spins). 

• Useful 1

I also looked forward to hearing Dick's commentary, but for me his worst (meanest) ever was when he said Angela Nikodinov's skating was a refrigerator break.  That said, she did really work on her presentation after a coaching change and was perfectly lovely.

I'm very sorry to see the Olympic Channel go away. 

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Right now Polina Edmunds is my favorite current skating commentator. She's informed, she talks about a wide range of issues and she doesn't have to self censor because of NBC. 

I know TSL isn't everyone's cup of tea but I like that they are so passionate about the sport. It feels like there are fewer and fewer people every year who care enough about skating to discuss it in depth, so I appreciate what Dave and Jonathan bring to the party.

Agree on both counts. Polina's commentary is so specific and informed. And TSL is, as you say, passionate--they truly care about the sport.

• Love 1

I love the Olympic Channel. I watched the World Swimming Championships last week. Plus, they always repeated the World's and U.S. Championships and also Euros in figure skating. First NBC Sports Channel and now this? UGHHHH.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I love the Olympic Channel. I watched the World Swimming Championships last week. Plus, they always repeated the World's and U.S. Championships and also Euros in figure skating. First NBC Sports Channel and now this? UGHHHH.

NBC knew we were all watching NBCSN & the Olympic channel for free (well, not counting our monthly cable fees) & they want us to *pay* them to see fs. Thus, Peacock. I guess I'm going to have to shell out for Peacock if I want to see any ice dancing & pairs now. Who does the commentating on Peacock? 🤞 it's not Tara & Johnny (actually, when he's not with Tara, Johnny's ok + he does have a little bit of pairs experience so he really understands what those teams are doing).

• Love 1
21 hours ago, healthnut said:

Peacock has been commentary free. 

It was mostly commentary free but I do remember getting some commentary. They had Ted and they had those two guys who were insulting Meghan Duhamel. I think Ted replaced them after that incident. It's all kind of blurring together for me now but I'm pretty sure that happened on Peacock.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

It was mostly commentary free but I do remember getting some commentary. They had Ted and they had those two guys who were insulting Meghan Duhamel. I think Ted replaced them after that incident. It's all kind of blurring together for me now but I'm pretty sure that happened on Peacock.

I didn’t use Peacock for Worlds, I watched the world feed with a VPN, I was so pissed when Peacock took all their skating down after the Olympics with no warning and no explanation. 

6 hours ago, healthnut said:

I didn’t use Peacock for Worlds, I watched the world feed with a VPN, I was so pissed when Peacock took all their skating down after the Olympics with no warning and no explanation. 

It was thought that Peacock took down the coverage due to the copyright lawsuit brought against Knierim and Frazier. Has that been settled? 

21 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

It did. They were on a hot mike and Ted replaced them.

Not new (dated June 9) but didn't see it here. Poetry:

And another segment at normal speed, from a couple days ago. No less poetic - the Ina Bauer (is that right?) and that slide into the spin...

Hope he doesn't retire yet.

• Love 8