Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Well, the pressure is off, and he can continue to skate beautifully in ice shows without worrying so much about jumps.

(Just wish they were as easily accessible as watching competition broadcasts.)

Edited by justmehere
(Finishing a thought about jumps - and grammar)
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

When the press conference was announced yesterday, the Fanyus thought it was a lie. They're a mess now. 

Oh my Lord, I dare risk going back onto Twitter now 😂😂😂

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

When the press conference was announced yesterday, the Fanyus thought it was a lie. They're a mess now. 

I wondered how they were taking the news. Evidently, "not well" is an understatement!

• LOL 10

Hanyu's twizzle out of the triple axel was maybe my favorite trademark skating move. He was such a great edge jumper and his edge jumpers just had an amplitude and smoothness that Nathan Chen didn't have. Then again, Nathan's toe jumps were amazing.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm sorry to hear it. He's one of my favorites. But I wish him all the best.

Same. He will go down as one of the greatest and will be referenced for years to come during skating competitions and discussions etc.  

I wish him much success with whatever he chooses to do next. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3

There’s too many to link here, but I’m enjoying all the other skaters’ tributes to Hanyu on Instagram. They all respect his skating, but the tributes make me think he’s just a good guy in person too.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Jeddah said:

There’s too many to link here, but I’m enjoying all the other skaters’ tributes to Hanyu on Instagram. They all respect his skating, but the tributes make me think he’s just a good guy in person too.

I think so, too. Nathan and the Shibs had nice tributes on Instagram. I think he's a good guy and an obvious talent. It was the Fanyu's that ruined it all for me. And those fucking Pooh Bears.

Good luck to him, but I don't think that his fans are going to back down. They'll still make his public life difficult. May be worse now, because they'll be begging for signs of life to keep them going. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
On 7/19/2022 at 9:39 AM, HartofDixie said:

*sigh* I'm not totally surprised (though my posts from the Olympics now aged like bad milk). While it was not out of the realm of reasonability for him to remain competitive despite his age, he has had repeated injuries that are harder to bounce back from and I'm guessing that he wasn't thrilled with the new ISU rules and decided to call it a competitive career. 

His exhibition tour in Japan was a huge success and I'm hoping that he is considering to do an international tour with other skaters from around the world. I'm glad that Beijing won't be the last I see of him and leaving skating can allow him to innovate in a way that the sport previously didn't allow.  I had a giggle watching some of his insane jump combinations from the tour practice and watching his exhibition programs where he'd do a hydroplane that went on for days. If there's someone who can possibly expand figure skating beyond the realm of competitions, Yuzuru would be the logical choice. 

19 hours ago, Jeddah said:

They all respect his skating, but the tributes make me think he’s just a good guy in person too.

The statement from Shomo Uno had me sniffling, about how often they saw one another at competitions but never had the chance to just hang out and he wanted to get the opportunity to meet as just two guys in their 20s. 

It's the end of a very exciting era of the sport.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Grand Prix assignments are out! Knierim & Frazier continue!

🎉and they'll be at Skate America along with Hawayak/Baker, Chock/Bates, Ilia Mallinin. 🎉

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 4

I'm curious to see how attendance and viewership is going to be affected this season. You've got one of (if not the biggest) draws in the sport retiring. The current male OGM is taking a break and not competing in the Grand Prix this year (and I wouldn't be shocked if Nathan does retire now that he's achieved his most important goal). Most of the US veterans are not competing this year, and the Russians are banned, so the top women won't be competing (the Russians are doing their own domestic Grand Prix that no one outside of the country will care about). And that's on top of the shit show that was the women's competition at the Olympics, which will leave a bad taste in the mouths of both casual and ardent fans. I think that Shomo is probably the only high-profile veteran competing, and he's not nearly the draw that Nathan or Yuzuru could be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This will definitely be the season of opportunity with so many veterans and mega stars retiring or stepping back from the sport and the Russians banned. Sometimes when these changes in sport happens there is a period of mediocre and athletes maintaining the status quo. Hopefully we’ll have several skaters step into that gap, shine and start pushing the sport to the next level, which I think is a possibility with the men. Not so sure about the other disciplines.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm even more excited than usual for this season because it feels like it's up in the air with so many top people out and that's interesting to me.

I'm hardcore rooting for Loena to keep her shit together this season. Loena, Wakaba, Isabeau, You Young and Ekaterina Kurakova are the female skaters I'm most interested in seeing this season.

Any news on Rika and if she is recovered and/or going to compete?

I'd love to see Knierim and Frazier have another terrific season but I don't see another world gold in their future unless something happens with the Chinese team. I'll keep my fingers crossed for lightning to strike twice though even if it isn't likely.

Is it too ambitious to hope that Chock and Bates could finally win worlds? 

For the men I'm most looking forward to seeing Shoma, Ilia, Deniss, Yuma, Adam, Kévin and Camden.

I'm super pumped about this season. Anything could happen. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I'm excited about Oona & Gage Brown moving up to seniors. I love watching them skate... their skating is so smooth. And Green/Parson, who are so innovative. Fingers crossed, though, for Chock & Bates to get the gold at Worlds🤞.

• Love 5

I’m surprised Piper and Paul are competing this season, I thought for sure they would retire. I think they’ll have a hard time beating the Italians, I am very interested in what Madi & Evan do this season, they’re definitely the top Montreal team. 

Dave of TSL is saying Green/Parsons are training with Tanith & Charlie now, that’s pretty spicy. 

I’m very glad Peng/Jin are sticking around but I’m still hoping there are some young Chinese teams in the wings somewhere, it’s like their pairs program has fallen off a cliff. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, healthnut said:

Dave of TSL is saying Green/Parsons are training with Tanith & Charlie now, that’s pretty spicy. 

I know everyone loves Tanith's commentating but I really find it to be such a conflict of interest that she coaches and commentates on the skaters she coaches.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I know everyone loves Tanith's commentating but I really find it to be such a conflict of interest that she coaches and commentates on the skaters she coaches.

I don't think that's been a problem before now, presuming G/P are in fact training with her.

• Love 1
(edited)

Curious what Jason Brown's plans are. He did Yuzuru's Fantasy On Ice tour and now he's doing Stars on Ice. I'm wondering if he's also planning a retirement announcement. I adore his skating, but in all honesty, without quads under his belt, he really can't be seriously competitive. Especially not with the new ISU rules.

I do have to say that I prefer how FOI had an international cast of skaters. Heavy on the Japanese representation obviously, but half the group was European, American or Canadian. SOI is strictly American skaters this year. I very much appreciated getting the chance to see some of my international favorites, and it makes me think that if Yuzuru wanted to stage something internationally, he wouldn't have any trouble lining up talent to join him.

Edited by Hana Chan

I go back to the time when everyone retired from competitive skating after the Olympics (because you could only make money by turning professional). It made the first two years interesting as the pack sorted itself out and the leaders emerged for the last two years leading to the Olympics. Sometimes I think the top skaters stay in competitive skating too long and get boring, doing basically the same routine over and over again. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
On 7/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I go back to the time when everyone retired from competitive skating after the Olympics (because you could only make money by turning professional). It made the first two years interesting as the pack sorted itself out and the leaders emerged for the last two years leading to the Olympics. Sometimes I think the top skaters stay in competitive skating too long and get boring, doing basically the same routine over and over again. 

Oh man. I remember Viktor Petrenko basically doing the SAME long program three years in a row. When the beginning notes of music started, I wanted to throw something at my TV.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 7/25/2022 at 6:07 PM, Hana Chan said:

I do have to say that I prefer how FOI had an international cast of skaters. Heavy on the Japanese representation obviously, but half the group was European, American or Canadian. SOI is strictly American skaters this year. I very much appreciated getting the chance to see some of my international favorites, and it makes me think that if Yuzuru wanted to stage something internationally, he wouldn't have any trouble lining up talent to join him.

This is the general case with a lot of Japanese ice shows, not just FaOI. Stars on Ice Japan tends to have an international cast too, as does The Ice (Mao Asada's old ice show, now headed in spirit by Shoma Uno). Nothing to do with Hanyu, a lot to do with the market available to them. Although I do think if Hanyu's willing to pay, with the crowd he can attract, will make skaters willing to participate in ice shows with him.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:39 AM, carrier76 said:

I’ll be the lone dissenter and say: “GOOD.” I’ve never been a fan, glad to see him go.

I'll join you. I'll also say that his recent interviews have made me entirely unsympathetic towards him, especially seeing how he managed to make certain sections of his fans even more venomous. In spite of what I said above, if I were a skater, I'd not join his ice show. There are more things important than money, and mental health is most certainly one of them. Goodbye and good riddance.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2

I'm surprised people hold it against Hanyu for not speaking out against the Fanyus. Every celeb is told: NEVER speak about crazed fans, because any comment you make will validate them by making them think they are seen and heard and just contribute to their obsessions and entitlement. 

That's a big thing. Stalkers and crazed fans tend to constantly look for acknowledgment and validation. Speaking directly to them or about them just makes them happy.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4

I just stumbled on the thread.  It’s interesting I’m not much up on figure skating.

Nancy Kerrigan was my first sort of crush in life.   So yeah sometimes I get nostalgia reading this stuff.  I follow Nancy every now and then, she still does more local kind of stuff 

• Like 1

The international debut of Japan’s newest wunderkind, who was even named after Mao Asada (she also shares with her namesake the lot of being narrowly ineligible for the next Olympics).

• Love 3

I just watched again with sound this time, and it sounds like there was a decent crowd there. I’m glad because I was so sad to see him make history with all those empty seats behind him.

ETA: And when I say I watched it again, I mean I’ve watched it 10,000 times already because it’s AWESOME.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I hope his body can stand the strain. And I also hope that other skaters don't force it, just to get credit for the attempt. Someone on Twitter commented that with the height and speed Ilia got, he could easily land a quint. Oh, dear god!

My big hope (in addition to his ongoing health) is that he really develops stretch and presentation skills.  At the moment he looks like an Eteri skater.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is it a good idea to sign up for Peacock? They have a special starting tomorrow: $1.99/month or $19.99 for a whole year. I'm asking around the sites if Peacock will show the GPs, Nationals & Worlds, along with regular NBC.

I was so resistant to getting it but I've had it for about two years now and my husband and I really like the sports coverage for the most part. For me just being able to watch all of the skaters has been such a treat. I also appreciated the skating documentaries and specials that they have. Plus there are some other non skating things that I've liked. Peacock doesn't have any original series that I've gotten into but there are occasionally some movies and docuseries that have been worth watching. Overall I think it's worth it. 

ETA: They had the latest Downton Abbey movie available for streaming about a month or so after it hit theaters. That definitely scored them some points with me. ;)

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1