Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think the world of Nathan but if he's having hip issues, it would not be smart to train for Worlds + train for Stars on Ice. He's going back to Yale, then probably graduate school & off to some brilliant career (he's so impressive), so he sure doesn't need a wrecked body. I love how he pays tribute to his mom for all that he's accomplished in skating.

Isn’t Nathan pre-med? I agree. I’ve heard about his hip issues as well. He seems to love to skate but also have other aspirations. He’s won Nationals, worlds and has numerous Olympic medals including THE OGM for men’s singles. He has nothing else to prove. So I too think he’ll move on. 

Regarding Eteri, I’m betting she and her girls will be at worlds with bells on. Though as I understand Kamila has been making the media rounds too, the Russian’s approach to training and drugs to support that training will no doubt have her ready to compete at Worlds despite her busy off ice schedule.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

Pretty sure Nathan said recently he is majoring in statistics and data science or something like that. But either way, he definitely seems to love school (and with what we know of him, probably was getting excellent grades even while training), and is excited to go back. I wouldn't be surprised either if he moves on, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't decided for sure yet. I could see him thinking of it as taking a season off and not really deciding for good if he's done or not.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Eteri's girls may not be allowed in France. There's also rumors that the EU is closing their airspace for Russian aircrafts soon which will make it hard for them to even get to France.

I doubt this would stop them. They could fly to China, then fly from there to France on another aircraft. 

• Useful 1
28 minutes ago, healthnut said:

This would be HUGE. Especially in women and pairs. 

Excellent.  This is happening in football (soccer), too, with national teams flatly refusing to take the field against the Russian team in the upcoming World Cup qualifying rounds.  If international sports governing bodies like FIFA and the IOC are going to continue to be greedy, corrupt, cowardly, amoral crooks, then national sporting bodies should absolutely take matters into their own hands.

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 16
33 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Excellent.  This is happening in football (soccer), too, with national teams flatly refusing to take the field against the Russian team in the upcoming World Cup qualifying rounds.  If international sports governing bodies like FIFA and the IOC are going to continue to be greedy, corrupt, cowardly, amoral crooks, then national sporting bodies should absolutely take matters into their own hands.

FIFA has suspended Russia and Belarus as of today. I believe the IOC has done the same, at least for Russia.

UEFA has suspended Russian club teams as well.

Edited by Rickster
  • Love 8

FIFA has now banned all Russian and Belarus teams from any FIFA sponsored competitions and the IOC has recommended that all sports federations do the same.  The ISU has issued a statement expressing their sympathy for the Ukraine but noting that there are no competitions currently scheduled in Russia or Belarus, so there is nothing they are going to do. Junior Worlds has been canceled due to COVID concerns. 

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 1

Jr. Worlds are still on the table. From the ISU yesterday:

"The possible re-allocation of the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022, which cannot be held as planned in Sofia, Bulgaria, remains under evaluation for a decision as soon as possible."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, healthnut said:

This would be a gift for the ISU because they won't actually have to do anything, just the way they like it. 

There's speed skating worlds in Norway coming up(I want to say this weekend), heard nothing about the situation regarding Russians there either. 

• Love 3

I heard no Russians at the Speed Skating Worlds.

eta: Norway's skating federation published a statement on Feb. 26 that mentioned at the end "The Russian Skating Federation has informed NSF today that they will not participate" in the ISU World Speed Skating Championships in Hamar, March 3-6, 2022:"

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, healthnut said:

My fingers are crossed for Wakaba to make the podium because the judges did her wrong at the Olympics.

My dream podium is Kaori, Wakaba and Loena in any order. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Yes!! The French Federation of Ice Sports officially announced that no Russian or Belorussian skaters would be allowed to compete in competitions that France is hosting. And there’s nothing the ISU can do about it. 

Now if only the IOC would grow a pair and ban them from at least the next summer and winter games…..

Also, cheating aside, Russia has also violated the Olympic True; they should be banned from the Paralympics too….come on, grow a pair IOC.

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm wondering why Nathan Chen would want to go to Worlds. He's already won everything there is to win.

This may be his final competition. He’s also the defending champ.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm wondering why Nathan Chen would want to go to Worlds. He's already won everything there is to win.

Agree with @HartofDixie if he’s decided to retire this season, he’ll compete. If he plans on competing next season, he may sit this one out, but I could see him wanting to defend his title too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Yes!! The French Federation of Ice Sports officially announced that no Russian or Belorussian skaters would be allowed to compete in competitions that France is hosting. And there’s nothing the ISU can do about it. 

I can't find anything online about this. What am I missing?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Now if only the IOC would grow a pair and ban them from at least the next summer and winter games…..

Also, cheating aside, Russia has also violated the Olympic True; they should be banned from the Paralympics too….come on, grow a pair IOC.

I kind of wonder how long this ban will last. I mean, it feels good now. But if it becomes like an Iron Curtain that lasts decades is it still going to feel good?

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

This makes ladies and pairs a lot more interesting! I think dance will be 3 Montreal teams.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

The ISU has now banned skaters and officials from Russia and Belarus "until further notice"

And then the ISU breathed a sigh of relief that the Eteri problem has been solved for at least the remainder of this season.

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And then the ISU breathed a sigh of relief that the Eteri problem has been solved for at least the remainder of this season.

I wonder if TPTB will continue the Valieva investigation. Teams deserve their medals. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Are Sui and Han going to World's, or are they retiring? They've dealt with so many injuries that I can see them thinking that the OGM on home ice is the ultimate, and they don't need to go on from there. No Russians? If K/F can skate like they did at the Olympics, or C-G/L  can skate error free, maybe a chance at a World medal? It would certainly be a shot in the arm for U.S pairs, who have not enjoyed that in a very long time. 

And WORD to giving the U.S. and Japan their team medals. Worlds would be a nice place to do that, while everyone is together. Shit, it would be great for them to give Russia an even bigger "FUCK YOU" and give the U.S. the OGM, Japan the OSM, and Canada the OBM. Even if they don't have the balls to do that, just give the U.S. and Japan their medals. They can always swap them out later, if the investigation merits. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 10
21 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I kind of wonder how long this ban will last. I mean, it feels good now. But if it becomes like an Iron Curtain that lasts decades is it still going to feel good?

Yes.

• Love 10

With the Russians not competing at Worlds how will it affect their spots for 2023 worlds? Or will their results at the Olympics determine their worlds spots for 2023?

35 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, I get to watch Worlds w/o having to see Broomhilda glaring at her emaciated skaters. I know one thing... it's going to be a lot more pleasant. 

You mean "Noodle Hair?" What country made that up? I think I saw that on Twitter. It was a translation of a word that they were calling her that meant that her hair looked like Ramen. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

You mean "Noodle Hair?" What country made that up? I think I saw that on Twitter. It was a translation of a word that they were calling her that meant that her hair looked like Ramen. 

That is *exactly* what her hair looks like--ramen noodles! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Volunteers for the Bejing Olympics. Her hair reminded them of ramen.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • LOL 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, HartofDixie said:

I’m surprised China is not sending anyone in pairs. Chen and Yang didn’t do too bad at the Olympics. They came in 5th. With the Russians out of the picture they could actually make the podium.

Surprised Nathan will be attending. I guess he wants another World Championship title. If he wins, which I have no doubt he will, he’ll be (4) times world champion and undefeated for 4 consecutive years at the event. The last male figure skater to accomplish that feat was Scott Hamilton. 

Edited by Enero
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

No Chinese pairs, No Kirsten & Mike. It really should be between Japan and US for pairs. But If they get nervous and slip up James & Radford or the Georgian pair will be right there. 

In other news, Alena Kostornaia has left Tutberidze again and is now training with Elena Buianova. Frankly, I expect Trusova to leave as well. We shall see. 

• Love 9