Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Tippi said:

To be a bit clearer--USFSA can't just name anyone they please.  There are criteria that are taken into consideration.  The selection is not solely based on how the competitors finish at Nationals.

Yeah, it's not an Olympic trials, and they have fairly set criteria, Nationals just being one factor. I don't envy the selection committee, even with the criteria to hang their hats on. They got lucky in all the other disciplines that it was fairly clear-cut. But the way this Men's FS shook out, they were going to make someone upset no matter what they did. Nathan, Vincent, and Jason all made GPF. Ilia has very limited senior international experience, with poor results in his one event this season and good results in 2020 Skate America (which was basically a glorified Nationals due to COVID). Other than this Nationals, they really don't have much to go on for him outside of his juniors results, which I don't think really factor into their criteria much.

In 2018, I felt they made the right decision in selecting Adam Rippon over Ross Miner, given Adam's body of work (he had medalled at both his GP events, and made the GPF), and felt Rippon justified his selection at the Olympics (Miner would certainly not have done as well). This selection feels a bit more difficult than that one, as Miner was nearing the end of his career with no noteworthy international success, and Ilia is just starting his.

In any case, I'm glad I was not on that committee, both in terms of having to make the decision and in having to justify it, regardless of which way it went!

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Worlds and 4CC assignments for the men:

Worlds: Chen, Zhou, Malinin (pending minimums) alternates 1) Brown 2) Pulkinen 3) Ma

Four Continents: Hiwatashi, Pulkinen, Ma alternate: Dunk

Where is Malinin going to get the minimums if not at 4CC (which I know they won't send him to as 1st alternate)? Is there another event between Olympics and Worlds?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, redpencil said:

Where is Malinin going to get the minimums if not at 4CC (which I know they won't send him to as 1st alternate)? Is there another event between Olympics and Worlds?

There are a few events in Europe for this specific purpose, the Bavarian Open is the most notable, but the rest are listed here:

ISU Figure Skating Events

• Love 2

The Olympic team choice is BS. Ilia should have been chosen over either Brown or Zhou. 

The scoring box at this event was all over the map. Sometimes it showed the max score and sometimes it showed the base score. And sometimes it wasn't even there.

My heart broke for Peniot. His SP was my favorite. 

I'm sorry, but I'm just so tired of Jason Brown. No one is arguing he's a beautifully artistic skater but he's no better now than he was ten years ago. He kind of reminds me of Johnny Weir. Everyone always went on and on about his "artistry" but he rarely skated two clean programs and I just thought he was kind of weird. I'm much more invested in the up and comers like Camden Pulkinem and Ilia Malinin. 

Nathan really comes alive in this LP. When they interview him he seems like a robot that has no emotional chip. 

A lot of things can happen in four years, especially in this sport and with this pandemic. Ilia may not have another chance. I'm devastated on his behalf. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The Olympic team choice is BS. Ilia should have been chosen over either Brown or Zhou. 

The scoring box at this event was all over the map. Sometimes it showed the max score and sometimes it showed the base score. And sometimes it wasn't even there.

My heart broke for Peniot. His SP was my favorite. 

I'm sorry, but I'm just so tired of Jason Brown. No one is arguing he's a beautifully artistic skater but he's no better now than he was ten years ago. He kind of reminds me of Johnny Weir. Everyone always went on and on about his "artistry" but he rarely skated two clean programs and I just thought he was kind of weird. I'm much more invested in the up and comers like Camden Pulkinem and Ilia Malinin. 

Nathan really comes alive in this LP. When they interview him he seems like a robot that has no emotional chip. 

A lot of things can happen in four years, especially in this sport and with this pandemic. Ilia may not have another chance. I'm devastated on his behalf. 

Look at Nathan….he went early on in his career and has still had to go another four years because he wasn’t able to compete in the way he wanted.  There are so many skaters that have to wait.  It is true there are no guarantees, but for many athletes part of the challenge is having to be relevant a number of years, not just popping into the Olympics on your first year of eligibility.  The ones that last longer are definitely most remembered, and typically the much better skaters overall.  Had Nathan not been skating these last four years, both he and the skating community would have missed out on that journey.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Look at Nathan….he went early on in his career and has still had to go another four years because he wasn’t able to compete in the way he wanted.  There are so many skaters that have to wait.  It is true there are no guarantees, but for many athletes part of the challenge is having to be relevant a number of years, not just popping into the Olympics on your first year of eligibility.  The ones that last longer are definitely most remembered, and typically the much better skaters overall.  Had Nathan not been skating these last four years, both he and the skating community would have missed out on that journey.

I kind of disagree. Skaters who went to the Olys and won on the first try:

- Gordeeva/Grinkov (only became seniors a year before the Olys)

- Virtue/Moir

- Oksana Baiul

- Tara Lipinski

- Ilia Kulik

- Yuna Kim

Now these skaters are not everyones' favorites, but I think they;re good skaters. One and done does not mean you suck.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

- Virtue/Moir

- Oksana Baiul

- Tara Lipinski

- Ilia Kulik

- Yuna Kim

Now these skaters are not everyones' favorites, but I think they;re good skaters. One and done does not mean you suck.

Sure, but look at their records, pretty much all of those listed skaters were reigning World Champions, or had at least 2 well performing seasons in international competition. Alina Zagitova is probably the best comparison, but she dominated the senior grand prix and Europeans leading up to the Olympics that year. Ilia just has a really good Nationals performance and did well skating at a junior level this season.

• Love 6

In the moment right at the end of Ilia's LP I thought "they have to put him on the team now" but after sleeping on it I think the team is the right one. Ilia did a fantastic job but as stated upthread, performance at Nationals is not the only factor that goes into selecting the team. It's an important component, but it's not the only thing. They really don't have anything else in Ilia's background to justify putting him on the team beyond this one great performance and potential future promise.

Vincent really did not do himself any favors with his performance here, though, especially after his talk of "coming to Nationals to win" (paraphrasing). If Vincent had been left off the team in favor of Ilia, I would have easily accepted that. Vincent's had so many chances and after his Worlds performance last year (and Nationals performance this year), he's certainly not a guarantee of a strong performance at the Olympics.

It is of course frustrating that Jason's jumps aren't up to the international standard, but he can still contribute to the team and with the exception of the quad, his performances were great. If Vincent's failed jumps had been scored properly, Jason would have rightly won the bronze medal.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

- Virtue/Moir

- Oksana Baiul

- Tara Lipinski

- Ilia Kulik

- Yuna Kim

I never said they suck, just said generally skaters that have more competition under their belt are better remembered (with a few exceptions), and also grow more as a skater.  Agree with the other poster that those you mentioned had other competitions to reference rather than just one great National performance.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, alexa said:

Had Nathan not been skating these last four years, both he and the skating community would have missed out on that journey.

With Ilia though, sending him to the Olympics would only be the beginning of his journey. I think he should have had the opportunity to gain the high level experience. We know that he wouldn't win so it's not like sending him to this Olympics would have made him into a skater who isn't well remembered because he didn't stick around for more than a season or two. He's definitely going to try to stay in for at least another Olympic cycle possibly two. 

Vincent has had a lot of bad skates overall and choked in an event that is the equivalent of the Olympic trials. 

Jason should have been placed over Vincent so choosing Jason over Ilia isn't a problem for me.

Also, it isn't a guarantee that Ilia will get another chance at the Olympics. At least Vincent has already gone. 

• Love 5

If they do split the Dance into two teams at the Oly team event, which they probably will, I hope that C/B do the RD and then let the Entitlement Twins have the FD. I like C/B's RD, but their FD is a little strange. Sure, I like that they're not doing the cookie cutter Marie France bodice ripping, romance novels on ice (the H/D touchy feels, stare into each other's eyes,  drive me nuts), but maybe I miss the Snake Charmer too much. The alien is a little different. That said, THA-RILLED that C/B won!!! WHOOOO!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

Jason should have been placed over Vincent so choosing Jason over Ilia isn't a problem for me.

Also, it isn't a guarantee that Ilia will get another chance at the Olympics. At least Vincent has already gone. 

I agree that Ilia and Vincent both fill the wildcard slot. I think Vincent locked up his slot when he beat Nathan Chen at Skate America though. Without that, they may have been compelled to swap him out for Ilia. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

If they do split the Dance into two teams at the Oly team event, which they probably will, I hope that C/B do the RD and then let the Entitlement Twins have the FD. I like C/B's RD, but their FD is a little strange. Sure, I like that they're not doing the cookie cutter Marie France bodice ripping, romance novels on ice (the H/D touchy feels, stare into each other's eyes,  drive me nuts), but maybe I miss the Snake Charmer too much. The alien is a little different. That said, THA-RILLED that C/B won!!! WHOOOO!

Good grief..the H/D touchy-feely phoney crap has been really nauseating this past year. V/M started all this, "Let's show the judges we're really, truly a couple, honest!!" back in 2010, I think. But H/D have taken it to a new, obnoxious level. Yeah...I hope C/B do the RD during the team event although their FD has really improved. Whatever--🤞🍀🙏!!!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Don't get me started on H/D's awful FD "music." It's like bad sex. 

I hit the mute (once again ~sigh~). But I think H/D's FD music wins *the* award for the most irritating skating music for 2021/2022. I now miss the old war horses. These vocals are really bad. Skaters just skate right over the dreary music as there's no real "beat"....but then, so easy for skaters with no sense of music. No wonder the few times the audience early on got excited were when good music started. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

But I think H/D's FD music wins *the* award for the most irritating skating music for 2021/2022. I now miss the old war horses. These vocals are really bad.

Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah an ah ah ah ah ah an ah ah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah ah ah an ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aha

• LOL 5

My issue with H/D's free is that I think it's trying to shoehorn a team into a soft, romantic style when that's not really their forte. I feel like they're more a "strong" team and they would do better with a very upbeat, uptempo FD rather than emulate P/C.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I hit the mute (once again ~sigh~). But I think H/D's FD music wins *the* award for the most irritating skating music for 2021/2022. I now miss the old war horses. These vocals are really bad. Skaters just skate right over the dreary music as there's no real "beat"....but then, so easy for skaters with no sense of music. No wonder the few times the audience early on got excited were when good music started.

I noticed that too. Yaroslav Paniot was a good example of this. He's not a skater that I would single out as being artistic, but at least he had fun out there. Some of the music choices from skaters are beyond boring. I think of ALL the music that people have to choose from and we get another program set to Hallelujah. What is it that makes so many skaters afraid to be a little more imaginative?

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

I noticed that too. Yaroslav Paniot was a good example of this. He's not a skater that I would single out as being artistic, but at least he had fun out there. Some of the music choices from skaters are beyond boring. I think of ALL the music that people have to choose from and we get another program set to Hallelujah. What is it that makes so many skaters afraid to be a little more imaginative?

I read a book a long time ago (forgot the name -- Second Mark?) and was surprised to read how little input skaters actually have about their programs. Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze apparently detested their Olympic year program but was told that they had to skate to it. They wanted to skate to their Chaplin program and was nixed. I think the issue is that there's few choreographers to go around and they tend to stick to what they know.

Jason Brown's Schindler's List program is awful. It basically takes all of Jason's most appealing qualities as a skater (his musicality, his playfulness, his jazzy style) and throws it out the window.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I read a book a long time ago (forgot the name -- Second Mark?) and was surprised to read how little input skaters actually have about their programs. Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze apparently detested their Olympic year program but was told that they had to skate to it. They wanted to skate to their Chaplin program and was nixed. I think the issue is that there's few choreographers to go around and they tend to stick to what they know.

Jason Brown's Schindler's List program is awful. It basically takes all of Jason's most appealing qualities as a skater (his musicality, his playfulness, his jazzy style) and throws it out the window.

The entire time Jason was skating, I was either thinking about the horrid camps or wishing he'd chosen to skate to Riverdance again. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

You're right, I should have phrased it a skater or skater's team.

It seems like some skaters have more input than others. I remember Sasha saying that she wanted to skate to Carmen for example. In Katia Gordeeva's autobiography, she talks about how she, Sergei and Marina were listening to Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky and how she and Sergei decided that they preferred Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet. Michelle made the choice to revive her Concerto #3 short program for the 2002 Olympics. 

Nathan seems like he decided which programs he wanted to use this season.

True though that a lot of skaters don't have input. Eteri's girls don't have much choice. This was supposedly one of the behind the scenes issues that Aliona Kostornaia had when she went over to Evgeny. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Watching the Peacock documentary series Meddling on the 2002 Olympic Scandal. I’m impressed; actual Footage I have not seen before. Interviews with all the players (including the French judge).

38 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze apparently detested their Olympic year program but was told that they had to skate to it. They wanted to skate to their Chaplin program and was nixed.

Funnily enough Anton and the French judge criticize Sale/Pelletier for not doing a new program at the Olympics. I have to say The Russian trio (counting Tamara) do not come across great. All of them make comments putting down Sale/Pelletier performance. You can argue about difficulty and style preferences but the Canadians showed up. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, alexa said:

I never said they suck, just said generally skaters that have more competition under their belt are better remembered (with a few exceptions), and also grow more as a skater.  Agree with the other poster that those you mentioned had other competitions to reference rather than just one great National performance. 

16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

- Virtue/Moir

- Oksana Baiul

- Tara Lipinski

- Ilia Kulik

- Yuna Kim

RE: Gordeeva and Grinkov. They had already won Jr. Worlds, Soviet Nationals, Euros, and were two-time World Champions by the time they competed in Calgary. They turned Sr in 1986 - two full years before the 88 Olympics and ended up winning two more world titles and another OG. All this to say - I wouldn’t lump them in with the others on this list, lol. 

9 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Watching the Peacock documentary series Meddling on the 2002 Olympic Scandal. I’m impressed; actual Footage I have not seen before. Interviews with all the players (including the French judge).

Funnily enough Anton and the French judge criticize Sale/Pelletier for not doing a new program at the Olympics. I have to say The Russian trio (counting Tamara) do not come across great. All of them make comments putting down Sale/Pelletier performance. 

I hated Sale and Pelletier’s Love Story program. I hated it the first time around and even more when they brought it back for the Olympics. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Funnily enough Anton and the French judge criticize Sale/Pelletier for not doing a new program at the Olympics. I have to say The Russian trio (counting Tamara) do not come across great. All of them make comments putting down Sale/Pelletier performance. You can argue about difficulty and style preferences but the Canadians showed up. 

I'm enjoying it too. I love Tamara. I agree that they're being a little snarky about Sale and Pelletier. Not very nice but Sale and Pelletier rub me the wrong way so the snarkiness from the Russians doesn't bother me as much as it should lol.

As for the Love Story program, I thought it was pretty bland. I much preferred the Orchid program from the previous season. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm enjoying it too. I love Tamara. I agree that they're being a little snarky about Sale and Pelletier. Not very nice but Sale and Pelletier rub me the wrong way so the snarkiness from the Russians doesn't bother me as much as it should 

Part of me thinks it’s a culture thing…. I’m like “you aren’t even going to pretend?” Lol. It’s very honest and direct. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Chaser said:

I have a few unpopular figure skating opinions and enjoying the Love Story program is one of them. It still gets me. 

You've got company. I loved that program. Wasn't that a Lori Nichols program? Even the costumes were fitting for the story being told via their skating. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

- Virtue/Moir

- Oksana Baiul

- Tara Lipinski

- Ilia Kulik

- Yuna Kim

Sarah Hughes and Adelina Sotnikova also won on their first try.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

I have a few unpopular figure skating opinions and enjoying the Love Story program is one of them. It still gets me. 

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. So many people love that program and feel Sale and Pelletier deserved to win. There probably wouldn't have been as much of an uproar if people hadn't enjoyed the program so much.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

While we're at it, I'd like to declare a moratorium on skating to Schindler's List. I can't think of a more emotionally manipulative piece of music.

Agreed. As a descendant of World War II survivors, I found it particularly uncomfortable when Lipnitskaya used it, given Russia's own at times oppressive and lethal history with Jewish people. It was strange to listen to the commentators talk about how moving and original it was. 

Jason is obviously a gorgeous skater and I adore him, but I wonder at what point it's appropriate to acknowledge that something isn't your story to tell. 

• Love 2

I believe in the Second Mark, it was the federation or some high level Canadian figure skating official that told S/P to go back to Love Story. They said the judges weren’t responding as well to Rachmaninoff. I guess they didn’t talk about that in Meddling. 

Re: music choices. Russians historically have very little choice in their programs. I’m sure that Mishin’s do but definitely not Moskvina’s skaters (Elena Bechke has confirmed this, too) and traditionally not Eteri’s but I do know Kostornaia picked Lovely and maybe New York, New York, too. 

I actually wonder what convos between David Pelletier and his now-wife Katia Gordeeva are like re: the SLC scandal. I have a feeling B&S's skating would have been way more to Katia's tastes. 

Re: skaters' inputs, I don't think Frank Carroll allows much input from skaters either. I read somewhere that Michelle Kwan was given programs she didn't particularly like, which is why she broke with Lori Nichols. Gracie Gold also said she was given programs that she didn't respond to. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My issue with H/D's free is that I think it's trying to shoehorn a team into a soft, romantic style when that's not really their forte. I feel like they're more a "strong" team and they would do better with a very upbeat, uptempo FD rather than emulate P/C.

Right? When they skate upbeat, their Twizzles are so fast, they're practically a blur. I think it actually does them a disservice to try to have them skating the same style as P/C, while training right next to them. And yeah, that stare into each other's eyes may have worked for V/M, but not so much with H/D. I think it is a personality thing. Tessa didn't come across as overdoing it. Madison kinda does. 

It's funny that Chock and Bates are actually a couple, and don't feel the need to be overly goopy about it.

Joey Tribbiani was right. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Right? When they skate upbeat, their Twizzles are so fast, they're practically a blur. I think it actually does them a disservice to try to have them skating the same style as P/C, while training right next to them. And yeah, that stare into each other's eyes may have worked for V/M, but not so much with H/D. I think it is a personality thing. Tessa didn't come across as overdoing it. Madison kinda does. 

It's funny that Chock and Bates are actually a couple, and don't feel the need to be overly goopy about it.

Joey Tribbiani was right. 

I think V/M were more diverse. They could do the soft, romantic programs. They smartly dropped those programs once they faced off with P/C.

H/D -- so used to their power and speed that seeing them in those lilac dresses and soft, floaty programs just seems weird.

I noticed this about a lot of ice dance couples though: so many of them are trying to copy P/C's style. A lot of dancers are even copying their costumes, down to the knee-length chiffon skirts that Gabby wears and the V-neck tops that Guillaume wears.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, healthnut said:

Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah an ah ah ah ah ah an ah ah ah aha ah ah ah ah ah ah ah an ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah aha

Every time I see their program, I have that in my head for days afterwards. GAH!

• LOL 6
3 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This awful song is a horrific ear worm.  I swear, I think the only cure would be for someone Rick-Roll me.

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

This awful song is a horrific ear worm.  I swear, I think the only cure would be for someone Rick-Roll me.

Lol, Kitten. Now I have the Rick song in my head. Lately the song sticker is wheels on the bus because of my baby. Can't decide if this is an improvement.

3 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Results link for this week’s European championships.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season2122/ec2022/

Will Europeans basically decide who gets to do the team event between Trusova and Shcherbakova? I know everyone is counting Anna out but I still think she has fight in her.

• LOL 1
11 minutes ago, sheshark said:

My DVR recorded everything but the Pairs this weekend, and I don’t see it listed on Peacock.  Where was it?  Did anyone see it?

It was either on NBC or USA, I don't remember which, but my DVR picked it up.

Musings: 

I haven't seen the program about the 2002 pairs--how was the judging cheating covered?  When I watched both programs live on the TV, my first thought was S&P should win because Anton's jump error really stuck out to me.   Judging was/is often suspect to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened then, and if cheating occurred, then it should be exposed.

I hate lovey dovey dance programs.  I also hate the type of costumes Scott Moir and Cizeron wear/wore with the sheer black material.  I also don't like Papadakis's barely there costume tops.  That said, my thought is that P&C would have won in 2018 if her top hadn't come loose.

I liked that Nathan seemed so chill about the mistakes he made in the LP.  Hopefully that will add to any resilience he may need at the Os.

I was another one that didn't know Jeffrey Chen is Karen's brother.  I bit of gossip I picked up as I googled the Chens--apparently Camden P. is Karen's boyfriend.  I have always liked Camden's skating and have hated to see so many programs go wrong for him.  He did quite well here, landing some clean quads and triple axels.  He's an alternate for the mens team.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/10/2022 at 11:36 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Yeah, whenever I see it I think that this is the one piece of music where his crowd-pleasing split jump feels inappropriate.

• Love 4
On 1/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, Lady Whistleup said:

I noticed this about a lot of ice dance couples though: so many of them are trying to copy P/C's style. A lot of dancers are even copying their costumes, down to the knee-length chiffon skirts that Gabby wears and the V-neck tops that Guillaume wears.

You're right. I hadn't noticed the knee length chiffon skirts. And so Chock & Bates really stood out in their unique costumes, along with their non-sappy, non-OTT-romantic programs.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Gasp!

Reveal spoiler

I haven't seen the competition yet but Eteri's girls did not sweep the short program podium???? I wonder what Eteri said to them after.  Also, I want to give them a hug.

Hurrah for the Belgian!  Hmmm...I guess my punishment for that is Ah ah ah ah ah...is running through my head now.  Need to watch some Europeans. Maybe the music will be better.

• Love 5