Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Yeah, the problem is that Nancy’s skate was clean while Oksana’s was a total mess.  It should not have been a contest, but Eastern European judges love to Eastern European.  I also thought Nancy showed in her actual skates that she was completely focused on the task at hand, and it was the media playing things up much more than Nancy herself.  The media was hounding her the entire time; she deserved gold for being able to put all of that aside enough to focus on giving two terrific skates.

Yes to all of this. Nancy didn't ask to be put in the position that she was in after she was attacked. It wasn't her fault that the whole incident became such a media circus. 

Absolutely to the bit in bold. Nancy focused on the skating and delivered two strong programs. Considering the microscope that she and Tonya were under it's pretty admirable that Nancy was able to perform such solid programs.

This topic makes me think about the moment Tonya had her on ice breakdown. If Nancy had cracked in a similar way I wouldn't have blamed her. The intense scrutiny that she (and Tonya) received was beyond anything that any skater has had to deal with before or since. I can't imagine how much pressure she must have felt to be perfect.

Wrt the judges, I felt like Nancy was being penalized for being a part of this story that she never wanted or asked for in the first place.

2 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

I loved Oksana’s free skate, it’s one of my faves. Nancy was the better technical skater but under the old scoring system artistry was given the upper hand over technical merit. Nancy didn’t just deserve gold because the media was hounding her. 

If Oksana had been clean there would be no argument from me that she had the better program with stronger, more interesting choreography. But both of her programs had notable mistakes. Grade of execution was important even under the old 6.0 system and Oksana’s artistry was effected by the shaky jumps. Plus, a double axel double toe as the combination? That was the sort of combination you'd see in 1980. (Or if you did see it in 1994 it was from someone competing in Intermediate.) Compared to a triple toe/triple toe there's no fair way to justify Oksana’s technical scores being propped up the way they were.

• Love 9
On 1/19/2022 at 12:46 PM, HartofDixie said:

Also on YouTube though it gets posted on Saturday 

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-292yfpAFGZ8AHilxP_JGETARcF6W_LI

I watched the whole thing this week.  It's a wonderful look behind the scenes in figure skating and the Marie-France and Patrice powerhouse.  

A few things that stood out to me:

I never really cared about Madison Chock and Evan Bates, but now I think they are adorable.  She has an infectious personality, and their dog is freaking adorable.

I don't know how Adrian and Maddie can withstand the pressure of competing against one another with other partners.  One of the scenes showed her holding her head in frustration after Adrian dropped his partner in a lift.  I would think that it would really be tough if your SO botches their performance and you still have to do your own skate. 

The conversation with Zach asking Maddie and Adrian about their wedding plans was strange to me.  I would think most exes don't want to know the details.  Good for them that they are such close friends and Adrian isn't jealous about it.

I never cared much about Maddie and Zach as skaters, but I love them after this. I hope that they get a medal in Beijing.

I would have loved some insight about how skaters can afford to skate all day.  They clearly have nice apartments and enough money to travel the world.  What are the logistics behind that?

• Love 2

Big congratulations to Caroline Green and Michael Parsons for winning gold at 4CC with a personal best score of 119.97 (200.59 total)! According to Jackie Wong, they're only the 8th team to break 200 points internationally (in events that record personal best scores) this season. I'm still disappointed they won't be at the Olympics, but I think this will be a big boost for them going into the next quad.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

I would have loved some insight about how skaters can afford to skate all day.  They clearly have nice apartments and enough money to travel the world.  What are the logistics behind that?

My vague understanding for team U.S.A. skaters is that they get some amount of financial support from U.S. Figure Skating to help pay for the direct costs associated with training and competing—for stuff like coaches, choreographers, ice time, off-ice training, physical therapy, and logistics help/support when traveling for a competition. I think the amount of support depends on ranking and competition history? Like, the better you do and the more consistently you compete, the more support you can get? And the monetary support U.S. Figure Skating gives probably isn’t enough to cover all training costs, but it does alleviate some of the burden on the individual. Not sure, but that is my understanding. I know other skating federations get more support from their governments, which means more financial support for skaters and more resources devoted to developing a talent pipeline.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, TwoBitUsherette said:

Big congratulations to Caroline Green and Michael Parsons for winning gold at 4CC with a personal best score of 119.97 (200.59 total)! According to Jackie Wong, they're only the 8th team to break 200 points internationally (in events that record personal best scores) this season. I'm still disappointed they won't be at the Olympics, but I think this will be a big boost for them going into the next quad.

Yes! I was so pleased to see them deliver a great FD yesterday. I hope they get the chance to compete at Worlds this year; they could do really well and get great momentum for next season. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, specialj67 said:

My vague understanding for team U.S.A. skaters is that they get some amount of financial support from U.S. Figure Skating to help pay for the direct costs associated with training and competing—for stuff like coaches, choreographers, ice time, off-ice training, physical therapy, and logistics help/support when traveling for a competition. I think the amount of support depends on ranking and competition history? Like, the better you do and the more consistently you compete, the more support you can get? And the monetary support U.S. Figure Skating gives probably isn’t enough to cover all training costs, but it does alleviate some of the burden on the individual. Not sure, but that is my understanding. I know other skating federations get more support from their governments, which means more financial support for skaters and more resources devoted to developing a talent pipeline.

If they're lucky, they'll also have corporate endorsements. I always felt part of the tension between the Shibs and H/D was due to the Shibs seemingly getting all the sponsors. I assume H/D must have some but I can't seem to find mention of any. The Shibs are incredibly savvy on social media and I'm sure that played a part in securing endorsements. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, TwoBitUsherette said:

Thanks so much for posting this, TWOBITUSHERETTE. I've liked this relatively new team since day one & was not pleased to see them edged out of a trip to the Olympics next month. 🤞🍀 that they go to Worlds.  Tanith's comments were interesting, especially when she said she feels this type of choreography may be the new thing in ice dancing (at least I think that's what she said/meant). 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Adding to everything that has been said, in addition to funding from USFS and endorsements, a lot of skaters (not all but a lot) come from families who can afford the sport. Skaters who eventually reach the elite level are able to get funding from other sources. But to even get to that point costs a lot of money and many times there are talented skaters who just don't have the funds to carry on and make it to the next level. It's different in a country like Russia where expenses will be paid for provided that the skater continues to reach their goals.

It's another reason why you're less likely to see black and latinx skaters. They're out there but not many make it to the elite level. 

I was really hoping that Starr would get to the point where she’d start making it on the podium so that it would inspire others to start skating. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I always felt part of the tension between the Shibs and H/D was due to the Shibs seemingly getting all the sponsors. I assume H/D must have some but I can't seem to find mention of any. The Shibs are incredibly savvy on social media and I'm sure that played a part in securing endorsements. 

I've often wondered whether the seemingly modest support and respect accorded to H/D might have had a class element to it, not dissimilar to what Harding faced.  H/D don’t seem like they’re from backgrounds as modest as Harding, but they also don’t seem to carry themselves with a confident sense of belonging.  I could be totally wrong, of course.

• Useful 1

I'm also glad to see Green/Parsons doing well internationally.  I'm thinking C/B & H/D will retire after the Olympics or Worlds and have been wondering if the North American teams will continue to podium regularly.  I don't think H/B will have the kind of success these two teams have had.  It seems to me that the judges just don't like that they are close to the same height.  I like what I saw of Wolfkostin/Chen and the junior team the Browns.  C/P may be able to get something going too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

I've often wondered whether the seemingly modest support and respect accorded to H/D might have had a class element to it, not dissimilar to what Harding faced.  H/D don’t seem like they’re from backgrounds as modest as Harding, but they also don’t seem to carry themselves with a confident sense of belonging.  I could be totally wrong, of course.

H/D also have an attitude, an expectation that *they* should be at the top of the podium (& if/when they don't win, they show their displeasure). So, it can't be just some of us skate fans who dislike them for this. I bet some of the judges feel the same way. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Tippi said:

I'm also glad to see Green/Parsons doing well internationally.  I'm thinking C/B & H/D will retire after the Olympics or Worlds and have been wondering if the North American teams will continue to podium regularly.  

Hubbell and Donahue are retiring as a pair after this season.  In the Olympic Channel documentary, she said that she plans to move back to Michigan.  I'm not sure whether Zach intends to continue with a new partner. 

The ice dance training center in Montreal currently has couples representing Spain, Great Britain, and Canada.  C/B and H/D were the only Americans featured. 

Edited by nittany cougar
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks so much for posting this, TWOBITUSHERETTE. I've liked this relatively new team since day one & was not pleased to see them edged out of a trip to the Olympics next month. 🤞🍀 that they go to Worlds.  Tanith's comments were interesting, especially when she said she feels this type of choreography may be the new thing in ice dancing (at least I think that's what she said/meant). 

That was Ashley Wagner. 

• Useful 1
31 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That was Ashley Wagner. 

Wut?? I had no idea. I tuned in as the announcer was introducing G/P, watched their FD, heard the critique and had to leave. I wondered why "tanith" said she was too mesmerized by their skating to say anything. That sounded so odd. Ashley needs to learn that there's always a need to say *something*.

• Love 2

Yup, Ashley and a guy whose name I haven't caught are calling the 4CC on E! At least she knew the references for the dance. She also does a pretty good job at keeping her mouth shut during skates aside from critiquing jump technique.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I never really cared about Madison Chock and Evan Bates, but now I think they are adorable.  She has an infectious personality, and their dog is freaking adorable.

I don't know how Adrian and Maddie can withstand the pressure of competing against one another with other partners.  One of the scenes showed her holding her head in frustration after Adrian dropped his partner in a lift.  I would think that it would really be tough if your SO botches their performance and you still have to do your own skate. 

They have two! Henry and Stella. I really love Madi C and Evan. They're just low-key and easygoing and quietly love each other and have a happy life with their dogs and seem very above the drama. 

At this point Adrian and Olivia aren't really competition for Madi H and Zach. They're just not at the same level in the sport. It's not like when Charlie and Tanith were dating and they were both trying to win Nationals and were both medal hopefuls with their respective partners in Vancouver. 

16 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I think there IS a class element to it, but not necessarily the kind of class you're talking about. Zach and Madi H have a history of not really sportsmanlike or diplomatic comments, sour faces, and a sort of general resentful attitude when things don't go the way they want. It's why they earned the nickname the Entitlement Twins. IMO, they've been generally better over the last quad, probably because the people they're competing with are also genuinely their friends--I don't think they felt that way about the Shibutanis and therefore felt no need to hold any of their punches. But even with the "improved" attitudes, there's stuff. 

C/B haven't said for sure if they're retiring and have suggested they actually might not, though I'm sure the results in Beijing might be a factor in their ultimate decision. I think being a couple off-ice is a slight advantage in that their personal lives are probably less impacted than other teams by continuing to skate and train.  I know Madi H said in On Edge that she's looking forward to moving back near her family--is Adrian also retiring? Or will they be long distance while he continues to train in Montreal? 

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

I know Madi H said in On Edge that she's looking forward to moving back near her family--is Adrian also retiring? Or will they be long distance while he continues to train in Montreal? 

I wondered about that, too.  It doesn't seem like he plans on stopping, so I guess they're gonna get married and then he's gonna live in Montreal and she's gonna live in Michigan. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Regarding Adrian Diaz: I watched a TSL nterview recently where his partner Olivia said they hadn’t made a decision whether to continue after this season. She said there had been some casual discussion about continuing for another season, if they both felt the desire to continue, but that they aren’t making a firm decision until after the Olympics and Worlds.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Did anyone watch the TSL interview with Polina Edmunds? I would love it if NBC got her for commentary. Even when I disagreed with her on certain topics (like her opinion that Jason shouldn't be on the Olympic team) I really thought she did a good job of articulating her opinions and explaining when it came to something like why she thinks USFS didn't make the right call when it came to Ilia. 

I also love that she called out Shcherbakova's (and Trusova's) inflated PCS. Johnny and Tara *never* point out Shcherbakova's toes and how that constant downturn in her feet (that should have been corrected long ago) has never once been reflected in her PCS. It's a maddening flaw in an otherwise beautiful and incredible skater and it was refreshing to hear someone voice this and not care what anyone in the Tutberidze camp or the skating world in general thinks. 

Where I disagreed with Polina was her opinion that Trusova's PC are stronger than Shcherbakova's. For her, the downturn in Shcherbakova's feet is so fundamentally egregious that it colors everything about Anna's skating. While I agree that it's a terrible flaw, I still think that Anna is miles better than Sasha in terms of artistry, musicality, spins, choreography, etc. 

All in all a fun conversation. It's for stuff like this that I listen to TSL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Olympic Figure Skating channel has been posting gold medalists programs and recently uploaded Adelina Sotnikova’s 2014 programs.

I know this was a very, very controversial win, but I did like Adelina. I really like it when skaters go to the Olympics, go all out, and skate with energy and joy. It’s so exciting when someone skates better than they’ve ever skated before at the Olympics.

• Love 10

What are the isolation requirements for the Olympics? The Team Event starts in 9 days, so obviously, anyone testing positive in the next few days is out for that, but if isolation is only 10 days, he shouldn't he still be able to compete in the individual men's event, which starts in 13 days?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

What are the isolation requirements for the Olympics? The Team Event starts in 9 days, so obviously, anyone testing positive in the next few days is out for that, but if isolation is only 10 days, he shouldn't he still be able to compete in the individual men's event, which starts in 13 days?

I don’t know the rules. Maybe the Russian fed decided to replace him since he can’t practice while quarantined.

1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Are the skaters all in Beijing by now?

I am so sad that Kolyada won't be skating.

At least for the Americans and Russians, they're congregating at a "base" and I guess fly into Beijing as a group. The Americans are meeting in LA. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I don't think they'd let him into the country before his 10 days are up. And two days is not enough time to prepare. The Russian Federation probably also doesn't want to take the risk that he might test positive beyond the 10 days.

• Love 1

I've read on a different skating forum that China is using a COVID test that is so sensitive that it can pick the virus eight weeks after someone has contracted it, even if they are fully vaccinated and fully healed. Alysa Liu and Brandon Frazier may not even be able to go to China in that case.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

At least for the Americans and Russians, they're congregating at a "base" and I guess fly into Beijing as a group. The Americans are meeting in LA. 

The American figure skating team will be flying from LA to Beijing on the same plane? I know it's been 60 years but still, that gives me pause.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The vaccine situation for the Russian ladies is apparently a mess. The Russian vaccine JUST got approved for minors. Yikes. I hope Kamila/Sasha/Anna got vaccinated.

As minors, they're only approved to have the inferior Sputnik vaccine. I hope that's acceptable.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Tom Z posted today that him and Vincent are training in the LA bubble and they’ve passed their first and second COVID tests. 

13 hours ago, absnow54 said:

What are the isolation requirements for the Olympics?

This is what Jackie Wong posted as the Beijing testing regimen:

1 nasopharyngeal PCR 96hrs prior to last leg to PEK
1 nasopharyngeal PCR 72hrs prior to last leg to PEK w 24hrs+ btwn 1st & 2nd
1 oro- & nasopharyngeal PCR at PEK on arrival (wait in hotel room until results)
Daily oropharyngeal testing thereafter

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

I've read on a different skating forum that China is using a COVID test that is so sensitive that it can pick the virus eight weeks after someone has contracted it, even if they are fully vaccinated and fully healed. Alysa Liu and Brandon Frazier may not even be able to go to China in that case.

Even a standard PCR can pick up infection for up to 90 days, which is why some places accept a confirmed positive test that’s dated between 14 and 90 days to clear for travel. Next week is going to be interesting, as all the athletes take that first test. 

• Useful 2

Being the cynical person I am, I am pretty certain that some countries will do everything they can to get their skaters to compete.  

Like some athletes will do everything they can to win but "fixing" their tests for PEDS (Lance Armstrong, I'm looking at you) some will be more than willing to find ways to fix covid tests.

Sigh.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Being the cynical person I am, I am pretty certain that some countries will do everything they can to get their skaters to compete.  

Like some athletes will do everything they can to win but "fixing" their tests for PEDS (Lance Armstrong, I'm looking at you) some will be more than willing to find ways to fix covid tests.

Sigh.

I was thinking the other way around: a positive PCR test is a way to eliminate competition. If the tests are handled by Chinese labs and not an independent international lab, I have trust issues.

• Useful 4
2 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

I was thinking the other way around: a positive PCR test is a way to eliminate competition. If the tests are handled by Chinese labs and not an independent international lab, I have trust issues.

Damn! Nathan--pack your own tests and maybe bring along a lawyer. Just kidding...sorta 👀

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The vaccine situation for the Russian ladies is apparently a mess. The Russian vaccine JUST got approved for minors. Yikes. I hope Kamila/Sasha/Anna got vaccinated.

Trusova already said she had no interest in getting vaccinated, I believe.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jeddah said:

Mikhail Kolyada, Russian figure skater, out of Olympics after positive COVID test

I hate to see that*. I’m so nervous about this happening to a lot of people! 

*unless he was unvaccinated, in which case he only has his own self to blame.

This is too bad. But at this point vaccination doesn’t mean a darn thing with Omicron out there. I can’t tell you how many people I know from work who are vaccinated, some even boosted and are still catching Covid presumably this new variant. 

Hopefully it doesn’t wreck too much havoc and essentially ends up having very little impact on the Games ie resulting in minimal athletes having to drop out due to testing positive. The Summer Olympics for the most part went over okay with Delta at its peak, but Omicron isn’t Delta and is far more contagious. 

Back to skating, I was looking at the schedule and it’s interesting that the Pairs competition will be last at this Games. That’s a change from the past when the Ladies event has been last. I wonder why this change was made?

I did agree that she deserved to win gold, even though I never warmed to her skating either. Scotvold's choreography never did anything for me.

This. To me the 1994 Olympics was the only time I could actually tolerate Nancy’s choreography  and music. Most of the time the choreography was terrible and the music took awful to a whole nother level. 😂 But her spiral was great, even with the hand on the leg and she definitely revolutionized wearing fabulous (designer) skating dresses. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Enero said:

Back to skating, I was looking at the schedule and it’s interesting that the Pairs competition will be last at this Games. That’s a change from the past when the Ladies event has been last. I wonder why this change was made?

I'm fairly certain it's because that's the one event where China has a shot at a medal.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, redpencil said:

I'm fairly certain it's because that's the one event where China has a shot at a medal.

That’s correct, so far as I’ve read. Johnny and Tara’s Project Runway outfits are for the pairs free.  

Since they aren’t in Beijing, I’m guessing they’ll do stand up set ups of the competition each night, the way they did for awhile for the Grand Prix telecasts, so we get the fashion. I guess they’ll do the closing again too, but no official word. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Now that Ice Network is gone, anyone know of an alternate streaming service where I can watch the entirety of the events? I cannot stomach NBC's coverage. Thanks for any help :)

Sadly, I think NBC/Peacock have a monopoly on Olympic coverage in the US. 

54 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Now that Ice Network is gone, anyone know of an alternate streaming service where I can watch the entirety of the events? I cannot stomach NBC's coverage. Thanks for any help :)

I was hesitant about getting Peacock because we really didn't want to get another streaming service but I have to say that I really like being able to watch the skating coverage. For me being able to watch the entire event without commentary is the next best thing to watching in person. They even have stuff pop up like synchronized skating. Plus there's other non skating stuff that my husband likes so it doesn't feel like too much of a splurge. I'm looking forward to the Olympic coverage. 

I only wish I still loved Johnny and Tara's commentary. With Sochi in 2014 I thought they were such a breath of fresh air in comparison to Scott and Sandra. I don't need Scott and Sandra back but it would be nice to have a B team do some alternative coverage. I still like Tanith and Terry.

ETA:

The fawning over the Russian ladies in particular really gets me. (And this is coming from someone who is a fan of almost all of the Russian ladies.) It's ridiculously over the top at times and they basically ignore qualities about their skating that aren't so good.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 7

thanks for the info! :)

I was hesitant about getting Peacock because we really didn't want to get another streaming service but I have to say that I really like being able to watch the skating coverage. For me being able to watch the entire event without commentary is the next best thing to watching in person. 

If I really can have a commentary-free, interview/feature-free experience, then I'm in! Peacock has this option?!

Edited by Nicola
  • Love 2