Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

On 2/28/2022 at 10:27 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

I kind of wonder how long this ban will last. I mean, it feels good now. But if it becomes like an Iron Curtain that lasts decades is it still going to feel good?

Will the top Russian skaters go country shopping to stay in international competition? I noticed all the skaters representing Georgia at the Olympics were from Moscow. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Nathan took the semester off from Yale, so might as well skate at Worlds! I don’t feel like he’s a lock though. I think Yuma could do it if Nathan leaves the door open even a little bit. Most of all, I want Vincent to have two perfect skates. I feel so bad for him.

There is no excuse if the US doesn’t get three spots in every discipline! 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Will the top Russian skaters go country shopping to stay in international competition? I noticed all the skaters representing Georgia at the Olympics were from Moscow. 

They’d have to get released from Russia which is very unlikely. But yes, Georgia is definitely Russia lite. Gubanova and Karina Safina both skated for Russia in juniors and wouldn’t have made the Olympic team for Russia but made it for Georgia. They were smart to switch. Lower level skaters might be able to get released but no way would top level skaters or promising juniors be afforded that opportunity. 

Kostornaia pushed out?  Well, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.  Noodlehead has probably moved onto some 12 year old.

I know it’s unpopular here, but it would be cool if Gribble/LeDuc could win a medal.

I like that this year Worlds seems like such an open field.  

• Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, healthnut said:

No Chinese pairs, No Kirsten & Mike. It really should be between Japan and US for pairs. But If they get nervous and slip up James & Radford or the Georgian pair will be right there. 

In other news, Alena Kostornaia has left Tutberidze again and is now training with Elena Buianova. Frankly, I expect Trusova to leave as well. We shall see. 

If Trusova really called her the Russian equivalent of a "c**t" that night after the results were finalized, my guess is that she's gone. Trusova should leave that shit show on her own, for her own well being, but Eteri doesn't seem like the forgiving type and probably thinks that Trusova humiliated her. She would either tell her to go, or treat her even more brutally than usual.

Any Ukranian skaters will be sentimental favorites with the crowds.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Trusova should leave that shit show on her own, for her own well being, but Eteri doesn't seem like the forgiving type and probably thinks that Trusova humiliated her.

Trusova is about to age out of the system anyway. So she has nothing to lose by leaving Eteri at this point. She may receive some blowback with scoring and making international competitions because as I understand Eteri has a lot of power there. But then again, with the war in Ukraine severely impacting the Russian economy (negatively) and with the ban, the system may be turned on its head anyway. This has the potential to cause some serious damage to the state funded program, really all the sports programs in Russia.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I guess I was wrong.  :) 

Good thing to be wrong about. I wouldn't mind either U.S. team getting onto the podium. It's been far too long (2002, Ina/Zimmerman, bronze).

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Must read thread:

“Kogan himself authored the dissertation describing the ideal, height, weight, hip and chest circumferences for 7 year-old figure skaters to be recruited into high-performance training camps” 😳😳

I'd be thrilled if either USA pairs team were on the podium (don't wanna be greedy by saying both  teams 😁). The Russian & Chinese teams were not my style preference. Also loved the Spanish team, whose style is a bit similar to the Americans (wonder how she's doing re: that failed test?)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, healthnut said:

Must read thread:

“Kogan himself authored the dissertation describing the ideal, height, weight, hip and chest circumferences for 7 year-old figure skaters to be recruited into high-performance training camps” 😳😳

Ewwwww

Sasha needs to leave that shit show and live her best life.

Worlds is going to be absolute Must Watch TV this year. *crosses fingers for US pairs*

• Love 8
4 hours ago, healthnut said:

Must read thread:

This is beyond creepy. Skating officials need to investigate this...or someone needs to. 

• Love 6

I've seen people elsewhere talking about how they're not going to watch Worlds anymore because of Russian skaters being banned, but I'm actually far more interested than I would have been otherwise. The men's event isn't really affected by this much at all, and ice dance really only one team, but pairs and women's are now way more interesting to me than they were before. Especially without Eteri-skater drama being at the forefront of things.

• Love 23
12 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I know it’s unpopular here, but it would be cool if Gribble/LeDuc could win a medal.

I don't think that's unpopular at all.

I'm watching the Four Continents Free Dance, and I don't get it with Carreira/Ponomarenko. LIke, how did they regress so much after having the potential to be the third US team? Is Scott Moir the coach for them?

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

I don't think that's unpopular at all.

I'm watching the Four Continents Free Dance, and I don't get it with Carreira/Ponomarenko. LIke, how did they regress so much after having the potential to be the third US team? Is Scott Moir the coach for them?

Yes, they moved to Canada to train with Scott. They're not a ringing endorsement for him. 

• LOL 5
(edited)

Didn't they also have injuries to deal with last season? Hopefully this is just a matter of getting used to the coaching change and they'll be improved next season. I like them. 

Even though Moir is training in Toronto, they're still part of the group in Montreal, right?  With some of the bigger ice dance names possibly retiring, maybe Gadbois will take an interest?

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Useful 1
On 3/2/2022 at 9:13 PM, redpencil said:

I've seen people elsewhere talking about how they're not going to watch Worlds anymore because of Russian skaters being banned, but I'm actually far more interested than I would have been otherwise. The men's event isn't really affected by this much at all, and ice dance really only one team, but pairs and women's are now way more interesting to me than they were before. Especially without Eteri-skater drama being at the forefront of things.

I know people love him, but I am not a fan of Hanyu AT ALL, so this may be the best Worlds I’ve ever watched. I’ll only be missing Peng/Jin and KMT/Marinaro.

I just read that Jin Boyang skated at the Olympics with a “disintegrating appendix”? The what?

• Love 2

It's usually the US top skaters that pull out of Worlds in an Olympic year. This year it appears that everyone who was named to the US World Team is going. And with all the Russian and Chinese skaters out, it not only promises to be a more exciting (from a US perspective) Worlds, but also has implications for 2023 Worlds. I'm sure that the numbers for next year's Worlds will be based on this year's placements, which means that Russia will only be able to send one skater/team in each discipline.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Has this been mentioned here?  Junior Worlds, which had been cancelled, is back on.  It's set to start April 13 in Tallinn, Estonia.   This should be a big chance for Isabeau and possibly Lindsay Thorngren to medal, perhaps win.

• Love 6

Nathan has withdrawn from Worlds, cites a nagging injury (presumably his hip) and he doesn’t want to risk further injury. Camden Pulkinen will replace him, Jason was first alternate, presumably he declined. He’s currently on vacation  in Peru. 

2 hours ago, healthnut said:

Nathan has withdrawn from Worlds, cites a nagging injury (presumably his hip) and he doesn’t want to risk further injury. Camden Pulkinen will replace him, Jason was first alternate, presumably he declined. He’s currently on vacation  in Peru. 

Vincent Zhou, here's your time to really shine for the US.

• Love 8

And like clockwork, the Nathan Haters on Twitter take their noses out of the asses of their Pooh Bears long enough to Tweet that Chen is skipping World's because now that he's the OGM, he thinks that he's too good for World Championships.

• LOL 7
16 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

And like clockwork, the Nathan Haters on Twitter take their noses out of the asses of their Pooh Bears long enough to Tweet that Chen is skipping World's because now that he's the OGM, he thinks that he's too good for World Championships.

🙄

Nathan's statement said that he'd been training but felt he couldn't continue. Sort of like the haters' god Yuzu. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, healthnut said:

I was hoping I'd get to see Sinnerman one last time in competition. It's so rare these days to see outstanding artistry on ice.  Also, to be honest, I'm relieved that Nathan bowed out. He has an incredible life/career ahead of him & he doesn't need to be saddled with painful physical ailments. I hope he can get physical relief now.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, healthnut said:

Camden Pulkinen will replace him, Jason was first alternate, presumably he declined. He’s currently on vacation  in Peru. 

I have been loving Jason’s Instagram stories from Peru. He is living his best life.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Vincent Zhou, here's your time to really shine for the US.

Make it so! I just want him to have two good skates! I think it really is Yuma’s to lose at this point. Shoma has to be one of the best skaters to never win Worlds, so I’d be thrilled for him too. But my heart says Vincent all the way!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Make it so! I just want him to have two good skates! I think it really is Yuma’s to lose at this point. Shoma has to be one of the best skaters to never win Worlds, so I’d be thrilled for him too. But my heart says Vincent all the way!

Ilia is another potential spoiler, if he repeats his Nationals performance. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Ilia is another potential spoiler, if he repeats his Nationals performance. 

That would be awesome too! Apologies to Camden, but It’s really up to Ilia and Vincent to keep 3 spots. I hope they do it!

• Love 4

Peacock will stream all events live. Other ways to watch in the US:

Thursday, March 24

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Pairs Free

2 – 4 p.m.

USA (Live)

Thursday, March 24

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Men's Short

4 – 6 p.m.

USA 

Friday, March 25

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Women's Short

12 – 2 p.m.

USA

Friday, March 25

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Women's Free

2 - 4 p.m.

USA (Live)

Saturday, March 26

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Men's Free

4 – 6 p.m.

USA

Saturday, March 26

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Free Dance

6 - 8 p.m.

USA

Saturday, March 26

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Women's Free

8 - 10 p.m.

NBC

Sunday, April 17

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022: Recap

3 – 6 p.m.

NBC

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've got this list but something's weird: women's SP & LP are shown as both being on 03/25/22 Friday afternoon. Even with time difference... that can't be right. 

The SP is a tape of Wednesday's competition. The LP will be live. I guess USA thinks we have a short attention span. BTW, it appears NBC and USA will only show the last two flights.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Useful 4

My cable line up shows the Women's Free on NBC, not USA on Saturday night, 8-10. I went through and hit record on all USA/NBC sessions as to not miss it (yes, I also have Peacock, but they seem to remove things at will).

World's coverage always suffers in the US, because it always falls opposite March Madness, and people will watch March Madness for 12 hours straight. It's why the networks barely bother with World's anymore. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
5 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

My cable line up shows the Women's Free on NBC, not USA on Saturday night, 8-10

It's live on USA Friday afternoon. The NBC broadcast on Saturday will be a taped replay. The entire competition will be over by then.