Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

There were a few differences, including the absence of Marvel, Starz, and HBO, and the big autograph and exclusive drawings going online before the con.  Those made for shorter lines and calmer attendees.  The con also implemented a new policy where you had to show your badge or badge pickup barcode in order to be allowed into the area surrounding the convention center, which cut down dramatically on outside crowds.  But I wouldn't say that anyone was less enthusiastic than in cons past.  There was still excitement for the DC panel, for 99 and The Good Place, for the CW shows, the offsite events, costumes, etc., like always.  Individually there were probably more significant differences and, if any of these media guys were around these people/shows, then that would affect their overall view of the con.  But I enjoyed myself like I always do and I even think these new policies and lack of Marvel et al made for a much better con.  I expect some of that frenzy to return when they do. 

• Love 4

I'm cracking up that Stephen thought Emily in 5'7". In what universe? I know her IMDB profile says she's 5'5", but I don't believe she's even that tall.

In any event, I hope she has a really happy birthday today.

• Love 1
(edited)

Video of full Arrow panel at SDCC (warning: spoilers in video) - only nonspoilery parts are transcribed below (transcription of spoilery parts are posted in the Spoilers thread)...

San Diego Comic-con 2018 The Arrow panel
Published on Jul 24, 2018, by Daniel Alvarez

-- EP Beth Schwartz: "Well, I've been on the show since Season 1, so I've been here for a long time. So it's not going to be a different show, but I definitely put my spin on it." CH: "It's the best spin that's been put on the show since the show started." EBR: "Co-sign." CH: "Having the female energy and having  female directors and female producers, and having all this female energy is really, really special to all of us, and I think it's important. I'm so happy for you, man."

-- Audience laughs because SA has spilled water on himself from his water bottle. EBR comments about "shower in the teaser." Someone asks if SA will take his wet shirt off. More laughter. SA notes that, because card says that audience members may be under 18, he can't reply in the way that he wants to. Someone wants to see the S7 trailer again.

-- Oliver gave his S1 bow, the only thing he ever stole from the set, to a little girl named Sarah and hugged her.

-- Mod had an exchange with a fan about the Adam West Library.

-- Fan asked about "Feliggle." CH: "What's 'Feliggle'?" Someone said it's "Felicity and Diggle. Feliggle." EBR: "Which is not unlike a Harry Potter magic spell.They're both a part of Hufflepuff." 

-- Fan said that the show inspired him to try archery and asked if SA practices archery outside the show and if he has a collection of bows and arrows. SA: "I just gave away my only bow." Some archery discussion between SA and the fan. SA said that he doesn't get to practice archery as much as he'd like. EBR: "We should set one up in circuits and, you know, have a little danger fun walking to catering. Danger fun, the new internet craze." SA: "I bet whatever you're into, [unintelligible words]." CH: "We're all into the, uh, Olicity shippers, so can you give us a hand to that?" (Audience cheers and claps)

-- Mod said that he'll miss Quentin Lance and asked for a round of applause from the audience. SA said that PB was "such a calming influence and such a fun guy to work with, even though he was Method." 

-- Another child fan asked SA how he keeps his mask on because, in close-ups, there's no elastic. SA: "With due respect, mind your own business." EBR: "I'd also like to know the answer to that question." SA: "It just stays on." EBR: "Some weird superpowers out there."

-- Beth Schwartz gave her brief history of working on Arrow. She confirmed that there are ideas that she's been sitting on that she now gets to do as the new showrunner. She also said that she's still honoring the characters that the creators created and that MG is still consulting, but that it's "definitely my spin and the writers." She then gave a shout-out to the Arrow writers.

-- Mod said that, "as a dad himself," he liked the theme of fatherhood that runs throughout the show. He then addressed the cast members who play fathers.

-- Fan asked SA about doing America Ninja Warrior. SA said that he is not doing it again. SA said that he injured himself, and EBR said that he had to carry her throughout an episode the next day. SA: "And the entire next episode, I just had to pick Emily up. Emily is just 5 foot 7 of muscle." EBR: "Oh my god, you thought I was 5 foot 7? Thank you so much... I'm like 5 8 at least." SA: "I thought I was being generous. Anyway, thank you for your question." (Actually, EBR is 5'5".)

ETA: IsleJane also recorded most, but not all, of the Arrow panel in 10 parts (10 videos) - here's her list of videos (better audio than the above video):
https://www.youtube.com/user/isleJane/videos

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

My god, what is happening?

10 minutes ago, tv echo said:

-- Fan said that the show inspired him to try archery and asked if SA practices archery outside the show and if he has a collection of bows and arrows. SA: "I just gave away my only bow." Some archery discussion between SA and the fan. SA said that he doesn't get to practice archery as much as he'd like. EBR: "We should set one up in circuits and, you know, have a little danger fun walking to catering. Danger fun, the new internet craze." SA: "I bet whatever you're into, [unintelligible words]."

SA: "EmBett, whatever you're into, that's fine."

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

What makes you think so? Because she's pushing her friendship with EBR all of a sudden?

No its the videos and the need to document everything ... like Carina does. And not even Carina posted from Emilys birthday. For me what Carina does is too much. Basically more on the phone then enjoying the company. 

The pics are cute .... but its from an event that was part of their job. They seem like decent castmates. I think people throw the word friendship around too easily for these people. 

• Love 1

We could probably fill an entire thread with just birthday wishes to Emily. It's kind of crazy how much people love her. I especially love these posts from former costars. Given Beth's crusade against spoilers, I assume Sydelle is just actually just hoping to see Emily again, not spoiling anything. LOL.

This makes me so happy because it was one of my favorite scenes from all of S5.

And I think it's so cool that the Paley Center tweeted her.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Finally, TVLine posted their vid:

So not only is Curtis the reason we'll never get Smoak Tech but EK and his dumb watch is the reason why the interviewer didn't get the chance to ask about it. I AM ANNOYED. CURTIS CAN CHOKE. ?

I feel bad for anyone who had to interview them all this weekend. I'm all for everyone having fun, but all the inside snickering and the phone ringing and no one but Rick and (for a minute there) Colton being serious? What a drag. 

• Love 8

Ecko's dumb watch was also why Emily got distracted while she was answering the question about Felicity and Diggle. Argh. I don't understand why he didn't excuse himself from the interview after the second time his watch went off.

But I did love Matt clarifying that by "loved ones," he meant Diggle and Felicity. No shade, NTA. *snort*

• Love 20

Yeah, it was really annoying, especially because Matt was asking really good questions. I thought Stephen tried hard to keep things on track but with the watch ringing and the giggles it fell off the rails. (I also thought it was REALLY interesting that Colton immediately apologized to Stephen. I wonder if he gave them a talking to? Not that it worked...)

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I thought Stephen tried hard to keep things on track but with the watch ringing and the giggles it fell off the rails. 

I can't blame him or anyone else. After the third or fourth time, it crossed over from annoying to "theater of the absurd." I wouldn't have been able to hold it together either.

(edited)
1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Perhaps I didn't pay attention before, but the Emily birthday love seems turned up to 11 this year. 

I think it is. I'm not complaining though. (For once.) 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

Her birthday even made hell freeze over.

To be fair, he's never had anything bad to say about EBR.  And this year in the roundtable, he actually said he was hoping for more of the Queen Smoak family.  The only negative thing was his hell no about the baby and his shade at what he thought fans might say about it.   

4 hours ago, jay741982 said:

See! Even Bruce Wayne adores Felicity ! 

This is really too cute.  She makes an impression.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

And this year in the roundtable, he actually said he was hoping for more of the Queen Smoak family.  The only negative thing was his hell no about the baby

I wonder if he knows that it's common/realistic for married couples to have babies.

• Love 8
(edited)

Arrow writer Sarah Tarkoff was part of the SDCC panel titled "Shattering Stereotypes: Badass Female Scientists in the Lab and on the Screen" on July 19...

Edited by tv echo