Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

While looking for video of SDCC 2018's "Intro to TV Writing" panel, I came across this video of SDCC 2016's "Intro to TV Writing" panel (July 22, 2016). I'm posting it here because this 2016 panel included Beth Schwartz, who was then Arrow's Co-EP (I don't recall if I posted this video in 2016)....

SDCC 2016 - Intro To TV Writing
Published on Sep 3, 2016, by Three If By Space - Convention Coverage

Moderated by Spiro Skentzos (Grimm), panelists include some of the biggest names in TV writing & producing.  On board for this hour were Beth Schwarz (Arrow), Terry Matalas (12 Monkeys), Jose Molina (Agent Carter), Karen Horne (NBC), and Jeffrey Bell (Marvel's Agents of SHIELD).  They offer advice on breaking into TV writing and field questions from the audience....

-- In response to mod question about writing specs, Beth Schwartz: "We tend to do a lot of promoting from within, so we actually don't read that much from the outside. However, we do it with a lot of our assistants and if they're a good writer, they're a good writer. So either one, it's good for us."

-- Beth Schwartz: "Also, this may be obvious, but if you want to write for a cable show, don't write a network show spec, and vice versa."

-- (After Jose Molina talked about the importance of evoking an emotional reaction from the audience and that people will remember the emotion they felt more than the plot,) Beth Schwartz: "Even in that Arrow, we start on Arrow with the emotional journey. That's how we start to write all our episodes, because we care about our characters and what they're going through emotionally. And then the plot, the action, and all that stuff, that's second to the emotions."

-- On getting into the TV writing business, Beth Schwartz: "Also, being an assistant, I [unintelligible word] everyone. That's how I started, being an assistant to [unintelligible word] the writers [unintelligible word] program... That's the best way to meet people, that's the best way to learn how to write for TV. It gives you acess to the writers. You have your own relationships with them. They're going to want to help you if they're not jerks, you know. Or if they can help you." 

-- In response to audience question about what it's like when the writers room starts fleshing out the season's episodes in terms of the emotional journey of the characters, Beth Schwartz: "Well, in the beginning of the season, we sort of map out the entire emotional journey of all the characters, um, so we kind of know where [each of] the characters starts, you know, the middle, their lowest point, and then, you know, where they end up. Sometimes that can change, but, um, usually you know what you want to do with them... And then, for each episode, the characters have their own emotional journeys. So it's like you have a journey-long seasonal arc and also have for each episode... what happens to that character in the episode, whatever obstacles [unintelligible word] the change from, you know, events in that episode."

-- On what a TV writer's life is like on a day-to-day basis and how many hours/days/months they work, Beth Schwartz: "It depends on how many episodes you have. We have 23. It keeps us busy year-round, where, uh, at most - yeah, this year we have four weeks [off] and we all cried with happiness. That's the most we've ever gotten in five years, so, um, it keeps us really busy... Day-to-day, you said, being in the writers' room is like, you know, being at a dinner party. For us, it's a five-year-long dinner party, so we're kinda family. We see the people we work with probably more than our own families. Um, but every day's different, depending on what you [unintelligible word] are, production...."

Edited by tv echo
13 hours ago, JJ928 said:

Looks like Sydelle and Emily filmed together yesterday.

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.14.53 AM.png

In looking at those two pics, I don't think it's the same wig.  (I'm not sure Sydelle is even wearing a real wig.  Kind of looks like a filter to me)  Also I heard that EBR was at someone's Bday part while Sydelle was filmed in make up on set.  

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

In looking at those two pics, I don't think it's the same wig.  (I'm not sure Sydelle is even wearing a real wig.  Kind of looks like a filter to me)  Also I heard that EBR was at someone's Bday part while Sydelle was filmed in make up on set.  

Sydelle commented on Emily’s Instagram with “best wig ever?”. 

Sydelle and Emily were probably in the makeup trailer in the morning discussing the wig Emily was going to take to her friend’s party later that night and Sydelle tried it on for fun. Not that complicated.

18 minutes ago, Zackary said:

Sydelle commented on Emily’s Instagram with “best wig ever?”. 

Sydelle and Emily were probably in the makeup trailer in the morning discussing the wig Emily was going to take to her friend’s party later that night and Sydelle tried it on for fun. Not that complicated.

The complicated part was if it wasn't a wig.  I'm still confused about the floating pink bubbles.

11 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

The complicated part was if it wasn't a wig.  I'm still confused about the floating pink bubbles.

Here’s the video for some reason there’s no audio but it was her insta story. Couldn’t post it here because the file is too large. Here you can see it clearly is a wig, the bubbles and trolls are a filter.

https://m.imgur.com/a/tzwW35R

Edited by JJ928
3 hours ago, JJ928 said:

Here’s the video for some reason there’s no audio but it was her insta story. Couldn’t post it here because the file is too large. Here you can see it clearly is a wig, the bubbles and trolls are a filter.

https://m.imgur.com/a/tzwW35R

Thanks for that.  

I'm still not 100% sold that it's that same wig as EBR was seen wearing later.  Obviously, the big color discrepancy could be due to the lighting but it looks so much smaller than the one EBR was wearing.  Yet what are the odds that both were posting pics about short poufy pink wigs on the same day?  

17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Thanks for that.  

I'm still not 100% sold that it's that same wig as EBR was seen wearing later.  Obviously, the big color discrepancy could be due to the lighting but it looks so much smaller than the one EBR was wearing.  Yet what are the odds that both were posting pics about short poufy pink wigs on the same day?  

It’s the same wig. The filter lighting makes the top blend in. In the video it sounds like Emily laughing in the background, but I don’t have a way of posting it here with audio. Anyhow, doesn’t really matter we know Felicity and Watson will be sharing scenes from the script piece we saw.

keep in mind Sydelle is using Front facing camera, so her images flipped.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 2

Are the Teen Choice Awards the ones where the winners are considered to be paid for by the networks?  

Is it possible that the CW would actually pay for Arrow to “win” an award now after what is, arguably, one of its worst seasons to date?

And, I know this is a terrible thing to say, but Rick, Juliana and Echo would top the list of people I would least like to see accepting an award for Arrow.  My dislike for their characters runs deep. ?

• Love 1

Maybe they're paying for an award because it's one of the worst seasons to date? They need something, I guess. Haha.

Logically I understand why they've sent one of the newbies because they're lower on the scale than the others but I hate the characters so much that my initial reaction was THEY'RE ALL SO BIASED. So dumb. ?

Seriously though, it's really stupid to have one of the newbies accept an award when they're the actual reason S6 was so bad.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Seriously though, it's really stupid to have one of the newbies accept an award when they're the actual reason S6 was so bad.

The newbies are likely the only actors they could've gotten to go to something like this.

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

The newbies are likely the only actors they could've gotten to go to something like this.

Yeah, that's why I said logically I know why they've sent them but I still think it's dumb. ?

I don't believe that CW would buy Arrow an award. Maybe Rick thinks Arrow was only nominated for ChoiceShip and that's why he mentioned it. It would truly shock me if CW bought Olicity (or any other Arrow category) an award. lol

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

Are Olicity even nominated? 

I think so. I don't know I don't really get invested in the TCAs. 

I mean Im glad if that's the case because it's about time the CW rigged something in Arrows favour but ugh NTA. 

12 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Are Olicity even nominated? 

In addition to them, Stephen and Emily were nominated for best actor/actress in a TV action series, and the show was nominated for Best Action Series.

• Love 1
Just now, apinknightmare said:

I don't care about the TCAs, but if the CW cared enough about Olicity to buy them an award, good for them.

Same. They deserve it, TBH. I feel like the Arrowverse wouldn't be as vast as it is if not for the way that ship caught on.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, way2interested said:

Apparently Bughead won and Flash won tv show and actor, so unless RG is there for EBR, I guess he's there for kicks

I cannot imagine voluntarily being in a room full of screaming kids for a couple of hours. Rick, why

• Love 4

Shame Olicity didn't have an award brought for them but I thought Rick accepting an award for Olicity was a bizarre choice anyway.

Im not sure why twitter was so convinced that's why Rick was there for.

11 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I don't understand how he thinks growing it out can make it look closer when he doesn't shave the sides at all.

Lol. Come on SA, it’s not math. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I don't understand how he thinks growing it out can make it look closer when he doesn't shave the sides at all.

He’s not trying, he just doesn’t want to look like an idiot. “Ooops, can’t do it, gotta shave, byeeeeee”

• Love 5
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

He’s not trying, he just doesn’t want to look like an idiot. “Ooops, can’t do it, gotta shave, byeeeeee”

Yeah, I'm actually thinking pretty much this. It's either that or trying to defend the ego which will cause him discomfort yet again (same thing as the no sleeves in s4 which put him in a bad mood for a good portion of the season, which is probably the reason DR and EBR were skeptical about this beard thing and likely why he really doesn't care or is trying with the facial hair any more than just not shaving).